- - - - -

Official NHL 16 Discussion/CAG Team Thread - EASHL Is Back! Join The Hershey Nuggets!

NHL 16 EASHL CAG Hockey Were Really Doing This Again

#31 mvp828   It's not CAGers Dammit CAGs CAGiversary!   2574 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 09:31 AM

How'd it go tonight? My friends list was screwed up when I got on so I just decided to stick with HUT. Plus I figured you guys had 6.

On a HUT related note. There are a changes that I noticed for this year.

-Like EASHL, they changed the playoffs to once a month. Or at least it seems that way so far.

-There doesn't appear to be a cap on how many consumables you can have. After opening my returning user packs and free packs. I had 90+ contract cards alone, and at least 40 training cards.

-They eliminated training duration cards. I knew about this beforehand, but it really just destroyed the market now. Essentially you either use them or consider them like pulling a puck bonus card and quick sell them.

-All the player ratings are drastically lower than what they originally said. I saw a Crosby on the marketplace and he was 92 overall. The highest I've seen was a Legends Lidstrom which was 94 overall

Lastly I decided to keep track of the "randomness" of packs this year. I made a sheet on my phone where I'm going to keep track how many times I get certain players/coaches. Out of one pack purchased with coins I already pulled 2 duplicates. Unfortunately, I forgot to start this with my returning user packs which netted me 12 duplicates.

So essentially out of the 70 players I had after thosee first packs they managed to give me 2 duplicates out of 8 players despite there being 600+ players I didn't have. Thanks EA.

#32 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16931 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 12 September 2015 - 04:14 PM

Well...it wasn't pretty. We went 2-6-1, and much of the playstyle that typically inhabits EASHL felt very much the same. At first, I was impressed with how well our AI was doing. They'd knock down passes, fire off good shots, make a good pass when it was there, etc. But as the night wore on, we ran into a few teams that "figured out the system". They were able to basically instantly take the puck away, get the AI to play loose defense by doing that stick twirl bullshit, and were calling for bomb passes down the ice for their run and gun stupidity.

One of those guys had 3 goals on 7 shots...and his team had 5 goals on 23 shots total. We had 2 goals...on 38 shots. We were running into goalies that stopped a 2 on 0 perfectly timed cross crease one timer, by leaping across the net and knocking it out of the air with the blade of his stick..(it actually happened, and it was ridiculous).

So, in some ways, it seems like the player classes did nothing to change the game. People spamming stick and and poke check from behind is a joke. It almost seems like how boarding was in NHL 13...where a penalty rarely gets called, so the high chance for success is worth the risk of doing it. I saw several plays where a guy would be skating a good 3-4 feet ahead of the defender behind him, and somehow get the puck knocked away from behind. Just the programming logic for that makes no sense. There should be like a 99% chance of getting a penalty on that play or at best, nothing should happen.

#33 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16931 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 12 September 2015 - 04:35 PM

Then there are some things team wise that we need to work on. And I guess being a stickler for these things could make the game "less carefree and fun" But being down 6-1 in the 2nd period is kind of less fun too.

So, it goes back to that same old question that we really haven't had to deal with for a while because for the better part of a year plus, it's just been me, Brandon, and Alan playing NHL 14 every Friday. But as a full team of 5+ people, do we care enough to clean up our play and do the things to try to play effectively and win games?

Or, are we content making dick jokes, hitting people, and quitting out of games when we're losing 8-2? I'm not even condemning that as an option. But those are the realities we're looking at. We won't have the luxury of playing an old game that all the hardcores left behind. We'll be right there with the douches and everybody else. So, we either try to get better and play right or we take our beating and quit and hope that the next team is worse than us.

Obviously, it's early. The game's not even out yet. But it's just something to think about as we reconvene as a large group again.

#34 Matt Young   Follow the buzzards CAGiversary!   15183 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Matt Young

Posted 12 September 2015 - 05:12 PM

How many people actually played? I waited til almost 7:30 and only Brandon was on NHL. Alan and Gary were signed on to XBL but not the game. And since my copy of Super Mario Maker finally arrived, I just ended up playing that instead.

#35 Vulcan2422   Merchandiser With The Mouth CAGiversary!   5206 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 05:22 PM

I'm going to say what I saw from a coaches perspective.

The D has no rhythm. There is a reason why in a drop in, the best D men go behind the net and watch their Wingers. A center should be by the hash marks waiting to break out. This isn't 14, this is actually a Sim game now in EASHL. I have played numerous drop ins as D and when you play as a real team with real tactics, you win as a team. Not one person can do it themselves. The Wingers are going too low when in the defensive zone. No reason to all clog up the net. Stay by your point. Also, Offense, don't forget your points when in the attacking zone. If you see four guys down low, pass to the point as the D can pass back and forth to each other to open up the Wingers. You guys are pretty much playing 5 on 3 when in their attacking zone while the D just watches. I know this isn't every time, but it's about 70% of the time. With that, you need to skate to the puck. The days of your stick reaching out are gone. Was like this in 15 as well when they started OTP.

#36 moojuice   False? CAGiversary!   4393 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:27 PM

Yeah, it kinda worked out better once the night went on. There were points where I intentionally slowed down a breakout by starting it from behind the net once everything settled down, and more often than not, it resulted in a goal because of holes in the other team's forecheck and D. We just have to get back into playing our zones rather than man to man on defense, and stop clogging up the lanes in their zone by cycling not only cross crease, but back/forth as well.

#37 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16931 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 12 September 2015 - 08:40 PM

I'm going to say what I saw from a coaches perspective.

The D has no rhythm. There is a reason why in a drop in, the best D men go behind the net and watch their Wingers. A center should be by the hash marks waiting to break out. This isn't 14, this is actually a Sim game now in EASHL. I have played numerous drop ins as D and when you play as a real team with real tactics, you win as a team. Not one person can do it themselves. The Wingers are going too low when in the defensive zone. No reason to all clog up the net. Stay by your point. Also, Offense, don't forget your points when in the attacking zone. If you see four guys down low, pass to the point as the D can pass back and forth to each other to open up the Wingers. You guys are pretty much playing 5 on 3 when in their attacking zone while the D just watches. I know this isn't every time, but it's about 70% of the time. With that, you need to skate to the puck. The days of your stick reaching out are gone. Was like this in 15 as well when they started OTP.

Totally agree. I think the other issue we had was our "regulars" playing out of position. I think it's an incredibly legitimate question that you see in sports (when injuries come up usually) of whether a team is better off putting its "best players" out of position with the thought that "they're good, so they should know how to play other positions". The problem you're faced with then is not having the same chemistry.

The alternative is keeping your team consistent, and just plugging people in where there's a need. I think most of the games you played, Gary, Alan was probably in goal...and I don't think I played D with you, so you probably never had a defensive partner that you're used to.

Seriously, the next game after you left, when I was pressing for us to just move back to what we're used to, I think we crushed the team 4-1. I think Magic sat out that game too (his connection started going screwy). It was me at C, Brandon at LW, Panoramic15 at RW, and Alan at LD. Even though we had barely played with Panoramic, I felt like we did a great job moving the puck because the rest of us knew what was going on, and that probably even made it easier for Panoramic to flow within that system. Things were crisp, deliberate, and we were getting a lot of shots.

It's a double edged sword of trying to be flexible vs trying to help each other out. And sometimes us being flexible doesn't help.

Also, I agree 100% with passing to the point. I would like to do it more. The struggle I have is 1. being an idiot and missing passes 2. Not totally knowing when you guys are getting into the zone (I use Ice camera...and it could probably be zoomed out a hair and be fine...but I don't want to switch to another camera where I feel like I'm watching from a blimp and not be able to see shit).

And when I'm playing defense...I'm sometimes hesitant to stay rooted in the offensive zone too long because of the way shithead teams play breaking out so early. Combine that with a missed pass, and they have a breakaway. Not saying that's the right way to play...that's just my struggle with it.

Yeah, it kinda worked out better once the night went on. There were points where I intentionally slowed down a breakout by starting it from behind the net once everything settled down, and more often than not, it resulted in a goal because of holes in the other team's forecheck and D. We just have to get back into playing our zones rather than man to man on defense, and stop clogging up the lanes in their zone by cycling not only cross crease, but back/forth as well.

Yeah, I can tell you, even for me, it feels like wings crash too low on defense. Like sometimes I'll see somebody down in the corner digging the puck out with the defenseman, and I get jumbled up because part of me feels like I should get out on the point and cover their spot...but then that kind of leaves the slot completely open.

So, then sometimes I feel like I just stand there out in the middle like an idiot hoping the puck doesn't squirt to somewhere I can't get to in time. I feel like we scramble back and forth and out of position a lot and then when the puck gets passed to the point, we scramble that way, then it gets kicked back to where we just were. It's teams using our own momentum and franticness against us.

I played one game at LW (when you were on C, Alan), and that was different because I hardly ever play wing. But I tried to see things from their perspective and play a little tighter on the point to see if it made any difference. There were a few times I think I let a guy get under me where maybe I should have played a bit lower. But I still feel like staying in that rectangle is crucial. It's like in Rocket League with everybody going after the ball at the same time. You have to let your teammates make plays, so you can be in position and ready when they do.

And if one guy is out of position and the next guy has to compensate...so then he's out of position and the next guy has to compensate...everybody is going to be adjusting and scrambling. I think that's part of the reason we struggle to clear our zone sometimes. They're sending the puck to "where we just were" instead of having the ice covered uniformly.

#38 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16931 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 12 September 2015 - 08:42 PM

How many people actually played? I waited til almost 7:30 and only Brandon was on NHL. Alan and Gary were signed on to XBL but not the game. And since my copy of Super Mario Maker finally arrived, I just ended up playing that instead.

Me, Brandon, and Magic were on by 7:15 your time, I think. Alan was still downloading the game. And Gary showed up just a couple minutes later. By 7:30, we should have had at least 5 of us in a game. Panoramic15 joined us for a while as well. We played for about 4.5 hours.

#39 Vulcan2422   Merchandiser With The Mouth CAGiversary!   5206 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 08:56 PM

Well, any odyssey up for trying hard the old team tonight to see how it plays out? If it works it good, we work the new guys I to the system and explain our play style. There is also a practice for us as well to try things out.

#40 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16931 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 12 September 2015 - 09:10 PM

Well, any odyssey up for trying hard the old team tonight to see how it plays out? If it works it good, we work the new guys I to the system and explain our play style. There is also a practice for us as well to try things out.

Yeah...I guess I might as well use the rest of my trial. I'll brave the storm once more tonight.

Rob actually joined us last night when we were basically done. We played one more game to give him a chance to partake, but I think we were all pretty beat at that point. Hard to really take anything away from that game.

Not sure who we'll have tonight, but finding some rhythm should definitely be the objective.

#41 jza1218   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4893 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 10:13 PM

Yeah...I guess I might as well use the rest of my trial. I'll brave the storm once more tonight.

Rob actually joined us last night when we were basically done. We played one more game to give him a chance to partake, but I think we were all pretty beat at that point. Hard to really take anything away from that game.

Not sure who we'll have tonight, but finding some rhythm should definitely be the objective.

I thought the game started well and it felt like he were moving the puck OK early, but between some of the connection issues you guys seemed to have, being tired and whatnot, it didn't end well. We got robbed of a goal late, which was punctuated by our goalie letting in a shit goal ten seconds later.

Working until midnight central time. If anyone is one when I'm done, I'll hop on. 

#42 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16931 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 12 September 2015 - 10:18 PM

I thought the game started well and it felt like he were moving the puck OK early, but between some of the connection issues you guys seemed to have, being tired and whatnot, it didn't end well. We got robbed of a goal late, which was punctuated by our goalie letting in a shit goal ten seconds later.

Working until midnight central time. If anyone is one when I'm done, I'll hop on. 

Yeah, connections and fatigue played too big of a role to really assess anything that game.

I think the biggest question for everyone at midnight CT will be if our trials have run out of time, haha.

#43 Magicking610   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   228 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Magicking610

Posted 12 September 2015 - 10:31 PM

I'll be on whenever, and I still have about 5 hours left in my trial.

As for last night, I don't know if I was the only one, but I felt like everything was a little off. We couldn't ever really get started offensively, but that might have been because of the position changes. With defending, the precision skating is a little tough to work with at first, I had issues keeping decent position when in front of the net. I'll definitely work on my positioning more tonight; going to try moving around more on breakouts to find better places to go other than up the boards.

#44 moojuice   False? CAGiversary!   4393 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 10:47 PM

Im down for whatever tonight.

#45 Vulcan2422   Merchandiser With The Mouth CAGiversary!   5206 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 01:12 AM

Just got home.

#46 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16931 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 13 September 2015 - 01:33 AM

I should be able to play in about 30-40 minutes.

#47 DarkTower80   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1457 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

DarkTower80

Posted 13 September 2015 - 04:23 AM

http://www.icethetic...-are-on-the-way

#48 moojuice   False? CAGiversary!   4393 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 03:21 PM

Yeah, the third jersey looks cool. I dont like the C on the shoulders on the primary jerseys though, looks too much like the Cubs logo.

#49 Vulcan2422   Merchandiser With The Mouth CAGiversary!   5206 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:17 PM

Sorry fellas. Got home and just passed out from playing too many games that day. Couldn't keep my eyes open at all.

#50 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16931 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:36 PM

Sorry fellas. Got home and just passed out from playing too many games that day. Couldn't keep my eyes open at all.

Yeah, we thought you went to get ice cream instead of playing NHL...and we were all disappointed that we weren't smart enough to do that.

The night had its ups and downs. I think for right now, we do better with less people. Just something about the skating this year. It's so floaty and you bump into your own teammates so easily, you really just have to be disciplined with your zone and your movement without the puck.

Sometimes, unless you're just not moving at all, staying in one small area can be challenging. I feel like I'm always drifting and can't really plant and switch directions easily.

One funny thing was seeing trials end mid-game. Brandon was the first to get kicked. He got like a "Sorry, your 10 hour trial has expired." message and it just kicked him back to the dash. Then it happened to me about 10 minutes later.

#51 Vulcan2422   Merchandiser With The Mouth CAGiversary!   5206 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:17 PM

I got ice cream and then went home. Pumpkin Pie Blizzard batches. Maybe next time we just all get ice cream and play castle casters.

#52 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16931 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:23 PM

#53 jza1218   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4893 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:25 PM

Nate, I almost apologized to you on Saturday for continually getting stuck with me as a teammate in Rocket League lol.

#54 Vulcan2422   Merchandiser With The Mouth CAGiversary!   5206 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:42 PM

That has to be one of the best lines ever!

#55 Matt Young   Follow the buzzards CAGiversary!   15183 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Matt Young

Posted 14 September 2015 - 10:26 PM

Castle Crashers is the shit! I still need to transfer my Xbox 360 save data.

#56 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16931 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 14 September 2015 - 10:35 PM

Nate, I almost apologized to you on Saturday for continually getting stuck with me as a teammate in Rocket League lol.

Hahaha...it's all good. Steam says I've logged 50 hours in the game. Contrary to what many might think at first glance, a game about bashing a giant ball with turbo cars actually does take time and practice to improve at. The game really does have depth and intricacies that NHL could only dream of.

PC Gamer's Editor-in-Chief had a good quote about it in the opening pages of this month's magazine.

Getting physical

If you'd told me months ago that I'd be way into a game that mashes up Pong and driving, I would've given you my finest glare. Rocket League represents a rare thing: a bona-fide sport. Not like FIFA, which is more about management and background math. Rocket League is genuinely physical; it's about spatial awareness, about reading the rotation on the ball and automotive body language. My hope is that its success sparks a trend toward movement and physics becoming the foundation for more competitive games.

Like Brandon said though, whenever the hell the game comes to Xbox One, and we can get more people involved, we might find ourselves wanting to play that more than NHL, haha. 

#57 jza1218   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4893 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 11:39 PM

Hahaha...it's all good. Steam says I've logged 50 hours in the game. Contrary to what many might think at first glance, a game about bashing a giant ball with turbo cars actually does take time and practice to improve at. The game really does have depth and intricacies that NHL could only dream of.

PC Gamer's Editor-in-Chief had a good quote about it in the opening pages of this month's magazine.

Like Brandon said though, whenever the hell the game comes to Xbox One, and we can get more people involved, we might find ourselves wanting to play that more than NHL, haha. 

Oh yeah, if it ever comes to Xbox, that's gonna be a helluva thing for us. We could probably make our CAG League, haha.

#58 Matt Young   Follow the buzzards CAGiversary!   15183 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Matt Young

Posted 14 September 2015 - 11:41 PM

It's so addicting to play online. 3v3 is the best, but 4v4 chaos mode also provides a great time.

#59 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16931 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:15 AM

It's so addicting to play online. 3v3 is the best, but 4v4 chaos mode also provides a great time.

I think part of it is how smoothly it works. The matches are short and it takes basically no time at all to jump into the next one. The matchmaking is fast and the menus are snappy. It's way easier to navigate and get into a game than either Madden or NHL really.

I think 4v4 will be really good once they make bigger arenas (which they've already talked about). Right now...I think 3v3 is just the sweet spot for the size of the field. If the fields were bigger and people couldn't cover as much ground as quickly, they'd have to play positionally a bit more.

#60 AngryDragon888   9 Toes 3 Balls CAGiversary!   183 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

AngryDragon888

Posted 15 September 2015 - 03:30 PM

Is there really not anyway to bring/invite your party into a lobby? I only played two games last night and did not dig around a bunch, so maybe I missed something obvious. We were just searching for a game at the same time until we got a lobby together....which will be a pain in the ass with more people.

EDIT* We could select OTP and then invite a friend to the lobby to get them there, but no option to make it public after that.