* * * * - 7 votes

Lego Dimensions Deals and Discussion Thread

Lego Dimensions

#31 Gamer SDP   not much of a gamer CAGiversary!   4962 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 07:45 PM

can't get into this.  I avoided "collecting" LEGOs (ie missed a lot of series) and probably had more knex sets anyway when I was a kid.  I can only imagine when Harry Potter drops for the next iteration along with Bionicles. 

I'm guessing Star Wars won't be happening as that's already licensed by DI.

#32 elessar123  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:01 PM

Yea, Star Wars won't happen. Harry Potter might.

But I also have almost all of the Harry Potter sets, except for like one of the Hogwart sets...

And every LotR/Hobbit set up til this year's Hobbit sets...

So I'm already knee deep in Lego as it is.

Spoiler

#33 s1ark5   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   18 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:04 PM

Wait so let me get this straight, and if I am wrong, please anyone feel free to correct me.  For about $100 I can buy a lego game that allows me to play with three characters, and allow me to play on a number of levels, some of them within limits if I don't buy the "other" level packs for around $30.  Not to mention if I want to play with other characters I have to buy their "packs"  So if I want to experience the whole lego dimensions world, I am looking at around $200-$300.  

Compare that to Lego Marvel Super Heroes and their total number of characters and numerous levels, and other lego games, all for around $20-$40.  Am I missing something here?  

I mean it is a great idea from these corporations.  "Hey, lets make a new game, and only give the players a few characters, and in order to play with the other characters they need to buy them separately.  But they won't know they are being shaq-fu so bad, because we will disguise the purchasable characters as TOYS!!!!!  Its FANTASTIC, they will love it!"

#34 elessar123  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:25 PM

Yes, but blame Skylanders for starting the whole craze. And the other Lego games all launched at $50-60, so it's not fair to compare the discounted $20-40 to the full price of Dimensions. And even then, Dimensions comes with hardware and minifigures, even if they're not rare figures (Gandalf, Batman, and Wyldstyle aren't hard to get from small sets).

And the expansions are more like bite-sized versions of the other games. For example, Portal would have Portal mechanics, Doctor Who has Doctor Who mechanics.

Add to that, the minifigures. Cyborg's previous cheapest set was the Darkseid set. It's much cheaper to buy the playsets than the full sets, if you only care about the minifigure. Then there's the new ones, like Wizard of Oz, Chell, Slimer, Staypuft, Twelfth Doctor, K-9, Cybermen, Dalek...

But yes, it will cost like $450 to buy everything with GCU, if you don't wait for a sale. It's definitely a lot of money -- around what all of Trap Team cost. That's why I only ordered the sets that have unique figures with GCU (Chell and Wizard of Oz, as Best Buy doesn't have any Doctor Who ones listed yet).

Spoiler

#35 fujishig   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   858 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

fujishig

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:14 PM

They know full well that fans will buy useless vehicles and playsets just to get a particular minifig.  Why not extend that to videogames? 

Heck, if 2.0 of this were just a Lego Batman sequel, but with tons of minifigs, I'd probably buy it at launch.

#36 elessar123  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:22 PM

When you buy a $120 set just to get two minifigures exclusive to the set with 0 functionality... this game isn't that bad *sigh*

Where's my LEGO Raven, LEGO Group?

Spoiler

#37 Kaipper  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:48 PM

I have a feeling the starter pack will see a price drop before very long. Really, $100 for that?

Then again, could be just wishful thinking on my part. This is the first "toys to life" game I actually want, but I'm not willing to drop $160+ on starter and level packs...

#38 kraftwerks   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1057 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

kraftwerks

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:16 PM

If this had a Disney Infinity-esque launch- where one could get a deal on just about everything with some footwork, then I may have been tempted. But as is? (Looks at bins full of Skylanders from the first 3 games.) No thanks. I've had my fill of toy to life. 

I'll have an E please, Bob.

#39 Serejai  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:53 PM

Shouldn't be a surprise that Lego + Toys to Life = Huge Costs, I swear Lego sets are like double the price that I bought them as a kid. Still, the Portal 2 level looks pretty cool, but I'm probably not gonna bite 'til I see some really decent sales.

Funny thing... The price of LEGO is pretty much the lowest it has ever been. It just feels more expensive because it's your money now instead of your parent's.

#40 mookau  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:12 PM

I think I may pick up the slimer and staypuft figures to go with the lego ecto-1. $15 is steep for a minifigure but I can live with it.

I won't be buying the game or anyting else announced so far unless I find them at a deep disount.

#41 vicktor   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   256 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:12 AM

Strange Walmart doesn't have the Simpsons pack listed on their website, since this happened on Monday...

SOzi4bH.jpg?1

Here's a look at the back, the vehicles make 3 different...things... (spoilered for size)

Spoiler

Edit: So...yeah...didn't even need to do that since the forum seems to automatically resize images. I swear I've seen other images on here that are huge...

#42 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   10522 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:17 PM

Yes, but blame Skylanders for starting the whole craze.

Actually, I blame free-spending parents with great jobs that have way too much money to burn, and can't say no to their kids ;)

#43 Larry Davis   It's All Smooth Sailing From Here On Out CAGiversary!   2337 Posts   Joined 2.9 Years Ago  

Larry Davis

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:20 PM

I bought the starter pack, the Simpsons and Back to the Future level packs, and the Jurassic World team pack. 

I'm already deep into Infinity but goddamn if the Simpsons and BTTF stuff doesn't make me want to get into this too.

Hubert, is it fine with you if I wait until Black Friday to pick these up at Best Buy, with added discount from Gaymer's Club Unlocked™? Also do you know if you actually build these things or if they come prebuilt?

#44 elessar123  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 04:21 PM

lol, in Lego fashion, they come in pieces that you build.

Spoiler

#45 SgtWiggles   Artist formally known as dgwillia CAGiversary!   11036 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 04:24 PM

lol, in Lego fashion, they come in pieces that you build.

I'm still undecided whether this makes it way cooler, or more gimmicky.

Regardless, I already have a full set of currently released Amiibo's and DI Figures. Last thing I need is a 3rd vice.

848178.pngSgtWiggles.png

#46 elessar123  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 04:28 PM

I'm still undecided whether this makes it way cooler, or more gimmicky.

Regardless, I already have a full set of currently released Amiibo's and DI Figures. Last thing I need is a 3rd vice.

The fact that the minifigures are normal minifigures is the part that makes me think it's cooler.

Spoiler

#47 Ham Salad 360   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   286 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Ham Salad 360

Posted 26 September 2015 - 04:57 PM

For achievement and trophy hunters, it should be noted that there are achievements attached to the Simpsons, Portal, and Back to the Future level packs. So, essentially $90 DLC...

#48 elessar123  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 05:05 PM

For achievement and trophy hunters, it should be noted that there are achievements attached to the Simpsons, Portal, and Back to the Future level packs. So, essentially $90 DLC...

They're not needed for the Platinum though.

Spoiler

#49 shinfo13   Wasteland Courier CAGiversary!   39 Posts   Joined 3.2 Years Ago  

shinfo13

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:21 PM

i really wonder how popular some sets are going to be. I'm gonna pick up the Portal set tomorrow because I really want it, but don't see it being a set they continue to produce for very long. Maybe I'm just paranoid from collecting amiibo though and would hate for it to end up discontinued sooner than the others.

#50 Radewagon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   68 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Radewagon

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:06 PM

The fact that the minifigures are normal minifigures is the part that makes me think it's cooler.

That's actually one of my problems with the approach this game is taking. 

On non-dimensions enabled figures, I have already spent mountains of cash on Lego Batman and Lego Simpsons stuff. I've also already purchased the non-dimensions Lego Ghostbusters and Back to the Future sets. The fact that none of these lego products can be used with the new game wouldn't be too terrible if not for the fact that Lego is recycling sooooo much toy content with this new game.

Unlike Skylanders or Disney Infinity, which have to create new physical products for almost every single character (there are a few variants), lego is taking the lazy way out and releasing many of the Dimensions sets with mini-figures that are absolutely identical to mini-figures that have already been released in previous sets. So, the incentive to go and spend more money on something you, kind of, already own is not very high for people that are currently avid fans of lego. 

If Dimensions were being handled better, we'd see these sets coming with unique variations of the characters that hadn't been done yet in previous sets. 

For example:

Batman = Lego version of Arkham Asylum Batman

Doc and Marty = Future clothes Doc and Marty or Cowboy clothes Doc and Marty

Homer and Bart = Lego Episode variants where their heads are more like regular lego heads

Ghostbusters = Wearing the grey GBII costumes

See... see how much more excited that would make me to part with my money. As it is, I'm waiting for clearance. 

#51 Disturbed Jerry   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   225 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Disturbed Jerry

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:41 AM

I'm just gonna hold off on getting this until Black Friday. It should be on sale for half price.

#52 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3132 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 02:52 AM

That's actually one of my problems with the approach this game is taking. 

Agreed. I'm actually really excited about this game but I don't think any of the builds, if you can even call them that succeed at anything. They

're too simple to look appealing or warrant play off the base and they don't even use custom pieces that might be useful as part of a lego fan's collection.

They really should have put more effort into the DLC sets so that they were more than just a novelty. That said, the idea that there's 3 builds per item that has it's own upgrades is interesting and is likely the reason for all the generic bricks. Personally, I'd have preferred one good build instead of 3 bad ones but it's easy to see that Lego was trying to push the whole toy aspect of their game and it's hard to blame them considering Infinity and Skylanders failed pretty hard at that IMO.

#53 GeorgeCostanza   Hangin Tough CAGiversary!   1469 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

GeorgeCostanza

Posted 27 September 2015 - 03:34 AM

I purchased every skylanders and both infinity 1 and 2.  But my kid just never plays these even if I try and offer to play with him.  The last straw for me was Disney 2.0, which he didn't touch for more than 15 minutes and I got him two separate level packs,  and addition single figures. 

But I have caved with Dimensions.  We all know this toy/game is borderline criminal.  Especially since we have played the lego games for years and they include tons of characters.  Only now they know they can just screw us and make us buy all this crap.  He loves Back to the Future and Simpsons so that was the tipping point for me.   It also helped that I got 200 bucks in reward credits from 4 canceled batmobile additions. 

Posted Image

#54 elessar123  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:27 AM

Having those variants doesn't make sense. It'd mean a less iconic version of the character in game.

Future sets can come with the NFC chip instead, and you can forego buying repeats. That'd probably be ok. But then it might raise the price of sets, and people still won't be happy.

Basically, they can't please everyone, but I think they took the safest route.

Spoiler

#55 Saphoon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1715 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:41 PM

So each figure and brick has an NFC chip in it, and what you build in life ends up in the game?

#56 RedvsBlue  

RedvsBlue

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:43 PM

So each figure and brick has an NFC chip in it, and what you build in life ends up in the game?

Just the bases have the NFC chip. You could play the whole game with all the figures and bricks removed from their bases.

#57 hoofrog   Game Whore CAGiversary!   1145 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:45 PM

The figures and bricks are just regular LEGO pieces, nothing special. There is a round tag that the figures and bricks attach to that stores the data. The real life LEGO pieces attached to the tags do not affect the game in any way. Technically you could store the LEGO pieces and just use the tags.

#58 Saphoon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1715 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:53 PM

The figures and bricks are just regular LEGO pieces, nothing special. There is a round tag that the figures and bricks attach to that stores the data. The real life LEGO pieces attached to the tags do not affect the game in any way. Technically you could store the LEGO pieces and just use the tags.

Shame - a real life Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts wiuld have been the breath of fresh air the genre needed.

#59 DetroitSportsFan   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   406 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

DetroitSportsFan

Posted 27 September 2015 - 03:24 PM

I'm just gonna hold off on getting this until Black Friday. It should be on sale for half price.

Maybe, it depends. In the eyes of Lego, are these video games (which always go on sale) or Lego toys (which rarely go on sale)?

#60 chrisbravo   CAG Supreme (w/Cheese) CAGiversary!   260 Posts   Joined 4.5 Years Ago  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 05:34 PM

Thinking about getting into this since my kid is a lego fanatic, but cant decide if I should be looking at the Wii U (his system of choice and with more games for him), the PS4, or the XBox One. We have played multiple LEGO games on all 3 systems and the quality difference on graphics and gameplay is so little that Im sure he wouldnt mind, but from past LEGO games (like LEGO Batman 3) the DLC or the Season pass was not offered on the Wii U system.

We never got into Skylanders or Disney Infinity but this is more our venue, any advice/thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!