- - - - -

Steelbook Worldwide Exclusive 2017

#211 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   6416 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:01 AM

Speaking of Suicide Squad, if anyone still needs that SB a local Best Buy still has a handful of copies.

Anak+Chuckatoa.png

xkcd comics: Zealous Autoconfig | RTFM | Borders | A random comic strip

GameStop TIV comparison spreadsheet --> https://docs.google....zkYs/edit#gid=0

#212 Navigator2001Plus  

Navigator2001Plus

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:51 AM

Looks like the BB SB will be 3D combo after all:

http://www.starwars....ital-hd-blu-ray

Also shows exclusives for Target and WM as well. 

YEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Thank you for the heads up on this. It was kind of looking like the US was getting left out of another 3D release, and I really was not wanting to have to double dip again like I did with Force Awakens.

optimus_prime.gif

#213 blueweltall   Kill the Batman CAGiversary!   6068 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

blueweltall

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:38 PM

Rogue One 3D Blu-Ray Steelbook:

http://www.bestbuy.c...p?skuId=5734302

#214 ajh2298   2009 Stanley Cup Champs CAGiversary!   7372 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:01 PM

According to the Best Buy App it looks like the 2D Dr Strange SB will be $27.99. At least that's what it comes up for right now.

http://www.bestbuy.c...p?skuId=5712176
----------------------------------------------------------------------

#215 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   4584 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:27 PM

I'm sorry but that Rogue One steelbook looks just plain stupid.

I'll probably get the Target exclusive or a standard edition.

You begin to suspect that your bowl is a portal to the Meat Dimension.

#216 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   12428 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:29 PM

Rogue One 3D Blu-Ray Steelbook:

http://www.bestbuy.c...p?skuId=5734302

Despite the movie being mediocre, they managed to make an equally awful steelbook too. I can wait for it to be $10 after they overproduce these and have copies on sale at Christmas.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#217 El Rey   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1524 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:44 PM

The steelbook is pretty abysmal but I'll be picking it up because it's a steel and has 3D

#218 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2730 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:08 PM

The steelbook is pretty abysmal but I'll be picking it up because it's a steel and has 3D

Lol, looks like the Zavvi one was stealth updated. I guess a good looking Rogue SB isn't a hopeful wish. Getting it for same reasons though and for 28 bucks 3D, Digital HD, and SB it's a good deal for me.

#219 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   6416 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:15 PM

I'm sorry but that Rogue One steelbook looks just plain stupid.

I'll probably get the Target exclusive or a standard edition.

The inside art should be on the outside and the outside art should be in the trash. :)

Anak+Chuckatoa.png

#220 LinkinPrime   A long time ago... CAGiversary!   43537 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

LinkinPrime

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:20 PM

Guess I'm in the minority, that both loved the movie and loves the look of the Steelbook.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

P R O V E H I T O   I N   A L T U M

1046150.png

30STMsmall_zpstpjpsbav.png

#221 elessar123  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:24 PM

Inside is fine for inside. Outside is... just crap.

elessar123.pnggpOYCAm.jpg

#222 flix1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1424 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:40 AM

Me too, already preordered.

It's Star Wars. I'd probably buy it if they just had a picture of bantha fodder on the cover.

#223 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   9679 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:15 AM

Same here.  This was a nobrainer preorder just for the fact that it is a 3D steelbook during a time when 3D is quickly being shown the door. 

#224 Navex   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1076 Posts   Joined 4.4 Years Ago  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:41 PM

Went with Target's Rogue One. Much cooler looking and it has different covers. If the steelbook from BB wasn't so bland I would have went with it but I don't get steels just to get them, the imagery and features have to be worth it and as far as I can tell features are the same so it's just the cover and Target beats it. Cheaper too.

#225 Navigator2001Plus  

Navigator2001Plus

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:58 PM

Went with Target's Rogue One. Much cooler looking and it has different covers. If the steelbook from BB wasn't so bland I would have went with it but I don't get steels just to get them, the imagery and features have to be worth it and as far as I can tell features are the same so it's just the cover and Target beats it. Cheaper too.

I'm torn on which to get. I usually get steels, but the Target set looks like it would match better with the Force Awakens 3D set, plus Target has an extra bonus disc of content.

optimus_prime.gif

#226 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49049 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:34 PM

I'm torn on which to get. I usually get steels, but the Target set looks like it would match better with the Force Awakens 3D set, plus Target has an extra bonus disc of content.

Those extra discs of content usually ends up YouTube before too long. 

#227 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49049 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:50 PM

In other news, my Doctor Strange SB shipped out.

Checking on the non-SB prices vs the SB prices, it looks like the SB has a $5 "tax" on it.  Non-SB version of the 2D movie is $22.99, SB is $27.99.  Non-SB version of the 3D movie is $27.99, SB version is $32.99.  

#228 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   6416 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:53 PM

Checking on the non-SB prices vs the SB prices, it looks like the SB has a $5 "tax" on it.  Non-SB version of the 2D movie is $22.99, SB is $27.99.  Non-SB version of the 3D movie is $27.99, SB version is $32.99.  

At least they auto-adjusted the price by the difference.  It isn't worth the effort to get that $2+tax back ($34.99 --> $32.99) but if I found myself in a Best Buy I would waste that effort...

Anak+Chuckatoa.png

#229 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49049 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:58 PM

At least they auto-adjusted the price by the difference.  It isn't worth the effort to get that $2+tax back ($34.99 --> $32.99) but if I found myself in a Best Buy I would waste that effort...

Turn in your CAG badge if you think it's not worth the effort.  It's your money, don't leave it on the table. 

The only downside is that you only get one PM opportunity on an item, so if you PM something and it drops again, you'll either need to buy a new one and return it on the old receipt or go in-store to do a return-and-rebuy. 

#230 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   4584 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:00 PM

Turn in your CAG badge if you think it's not worth the effort.

haha love this.  great quote

#231 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   6416 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:08 PM

Turn in your CAG badge if you think it's not worth the effort.  It's your money, don't leave it on the table. 

The only downside is that you only get one PM opportunity on an item, so if you PM something and it drops again, you'll either need to buy a new one and return it on the old receipt or go in-store to do a return-and-rebuy.

Well, when we're talking about buying a more (the most?) expensive version of a movie the day it comes out, I think the 'C' goes from "Cheap" to "Crazy". :-P

I get to keep the badge for one more day (phew) because they already adjusted it for me. :D

Anak+Chuckatoa.png

#232 El Rey   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1524 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:55 PM

Checking on the non-SB prices vs the SB prices, it looks like the SB has a $5 "tax" on it. Non-SB version of the 2D movie is $22.99, SB is $27.99. Non-SB version of the 3D movie is $27.99, SB version is $32.99.

I've never really considered it a tax for an exclusive, i mean it is a collectible that you're paying a bit extra for. The retailer is paying extra for the exclusitivity and passes that along to the consumer. I'd say in the cases of a steelbook the metal costs more than than the cardboard for a regular amaray case.
I can't remember the last time an exclusive was the same price as a regular amaray edition anyways, maybe long ago with the Guarfians steelbook?
Whatever the case I don't mind spending a little extra for a limited, collectible exclusive packaging and as long as collectors keep grabbing these up the "tax" is gonna be here to stay.

#233 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2730 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 01:29 AM

I've never really considered it a tax for an exclusive, i mean it is a collectible that you're paying a bit extra for. The retailer is paying extra for the exclusitivity and passes that along to the consumer. I'd say in the cases of a steelbook the metal costs more than than the cardboard for a regular amaray case.
I can't remember the last time an exclusive was the same price as a regular amaray edition anyways, maybe long ago with the Guarfians steelbook?
Whatever the case I don't mind spending a little extra for a limited, collectible exclusive packaging and as long as collectors keep grabbing these up the "tax" is gonna be here to stay.

I know it's subjective but Dr. Strange is also a great looking SB. Outside of Disney continuing to ignore 4k it's the total package if you get the 3D version (which incidentally has scored higher than the 2D version by most reviewers). It makes the whole thing feel more like a well thought out CE rather than the lazy stuff you usually see as an Amazon exclusive.

#234 El Rey   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1524 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 03:15 AM

Agreed and as somenone who has a 3D tv I appreciate the value for marvel including the 3D disc and for those who don't have a 3D tv, they are giving an option with this release. Even before giving the option I've seen collectors sell off just the 3D discs and even digital copies to offset some of the cost.

#235 Navigator2001Plus  

Navigator2001Plus

Posted Yesterday, 06:08 PM

My Doctor Strange steel just got here, and it looks really nice. The embossed detail on the front looks really good. It has a matte finish to it as well, but I don't really have a preference between glossy and matte.

Some people are going to hate it though. Not only is the title not on the spine, it's not on the front cover either. Like Guardians of the Galaxy, the design of the steel evokes the feel of an item from the movie, in this case, the ancient texts Strange reads in the film. Guardians at least had the title on the front cover though. This doesn't really bother me, as I love the fact that the Marvel steels all have a very unique feel to them, but I know some prefer their steels to look more uniform and match a bit better.

optimus_prime.gif

#236 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   4584 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 06:12 PM

That's good to know, thanks.  I'm sick of steelbooks with no titles on their spines.   Might go pick up the Target 3D version for $27.99. 

#237 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2730 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 07:26 PM

My Doctor Strange steel just got here, and it looks really nice. The embossed detail on the front looks really good. It has a matte finish to it as well, but I don't really have a preference between glossy and matte.

Some people are going to hate it though. Not only is the title not on the spine, it's not on the front cover either. Like Guardians of the Galaxy, the design of the steel evokes the feel of an item from the movie, in this case, the ancient texts Strange reads in the film. Guardians at least had the title on the front cover though. This doesn't really bother me, as I love the fact that the Marvel steels all have a very unique feel to them, but I know some prefer their steels to look more uniform and match a bit better.

I get what they're going for but really prefer titles as well. I'm willing to compromise because I always love the found object approach that tends to be an inside nod to those who have seen the film. I guess designers tend to be either/or with that approach.