* * * * * 8 votes

►Best Buy: Get $10 in Rewards or eGift Card (w/Pre-Order)

#2311 BadWaluigi=Luigi  

BadWaluigi=Luigi

Posted 20 July 2020 - 05:44 PM

Not going to happen. They brought in GCU with the goal of becoming the #1 videogame retailer and that didn't happen even with $10 certs and magazine coupons. They just can't compete with how many locations GameStop, Target and Walmart have so it had to go. Better to cancel the program and lose a few sales then to continue making only $1-2 on each game.

Interested to see how the gamble pays off. If more customers are like me, then it absolutely did not. If not, well good for them.

Personally, GCU brought me to BB's website and b&m locations and often resulted in me buying something else, like a movie. One of the last times I used GCU in store, I came across a pair of bluetooth buds that looked nice but cheap. Checked a couple reviews, then bought it. It was $5 more than Amazon, but since I was already there and needed a pair eventually, I happily paid the premium. Now they won't get that traffic.

#2312 Ratfoot   Amiibo Hunter CAGiversary!   662 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:28 PM

Any word on if they're bringing back the Madden trade-in promo?

#2313 ajh2298   2009 Stanley Cup Champs CAGiversary!   7859 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 July 2020 - 11:37 PM

Does anybody know offhand the subject line in the email for the discount when your GCU runs out?

Thanks

#2314 topchief1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   500 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

topchief1

Posted 23 July 2020 - 03:35 AM

Does anybody know offhand the subject line in the email for the discount when your GCU runs out?

Thanks

Thank you, ajh2298. Save 25% off the game of your choice.

Fair warning, i got mine in March, and held on to the code and tried to use it on ghost of Tsushima CE, and it didn't work. They gave me a bs reason about how it couldn't be used on a preorder, but also admitted that others had been complaining about it not working, so I hope you have better luck then me

#2315 Titan X   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   105 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2020 - 04:55 AM

Any word on if they're bringing back the Madden trade-in promo?

I haven't heard of anything but I doubt the promo will back this year.  With the whole covid19 situation, don't think they want to handle used games for safely reasons. 

#2316 Titan X   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   105 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2020 - 05:01 AM

Was hoping to see the sports games added as they've done almost every year but not looking good :(

Yea, it's not looking good.  EA had their EA Play Live show last month.  I think if they had plans to continue with the promo, Best Buy would have announced at that time.

#2317 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2121 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 23 July 2020 - 01:32 PM

Thank you, ajh2298. Save 25% off the game of your choice.

Fair warning, i got mine in March, and held on to the code and tried to use it on ghost of Tsushima CE, and it didn't work. They gave me a bs reason about how it couldn't be used on a preorder, but also admitted that others had been complaining about it not working, so I hope you have better luck then me

Yeah, the codes expired but shouldn't have.  The page it linked me to showed as "expired" and the code wouldn't work despite it clearly stating it expired on Sept. 6, 2020.  I was going to use it for Paper Mario (which was a pre-order at the time, it was on Tuesday of the release week).  I pulled up support chat, tried the number and the hold was ridiculous.  It took a little explaining, but she told me to order it, give her the order number and she would apply a credit to the payment method.  The credit didn't go through until I was charged, but I did get an email about it and it showed up after the game shipped along with the charge ($59.99 charge plus tax, then a $14.99 credit - which technically I shouldn't have been charged tax on the full amount, but I took it as a win in the end).

#2318 topchief1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   500 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

topchief1

Posted 23 July 2020 - 02:09 PM

Good for you. The person I chatted with was as useful as a wet rock. Ironically, if they had actually tried to help and gotten me the CE at the 25% off, i would have lost it, since my nearly full price order (i had a birthday in July, so I used my 10% off) got canceled anyways

#2319 Saix_XIII   Video Game Addict CAGiversary!   6725 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 24 July 2020 - 04:37 AM

Does anyone have experience with updating a cards expiration date on a GCU order where the GCU has expired? I know if I do it on my own I will lose my discount. I tried contacted support via the forums....but since the name on the credit card is a family members and not mine, they refused to help, which is idiotic. I assume I should take screenshots and stuff of the order as it sits now and then call them and explain (or try to explain to the un-informed CSR) and then let them adjust the price back down or something?

Hopefully that all made sense.

#2320 BadWaluigi=Luigi  

BadWaluigi=Luigi

Posted 24 July 2020 - 01:54 PM

Also it's incredibly stupid for them to have made "#1 games retailer" the primary goal when a) there are so many better opportunities (smart home, appliances, tvs), b) the industry is moving more towards digital (even when GCU first began), and c) the market they are trying to take from Gamestop has already left. It's like putting all your money into competing against Radioshack 

#2321 helveticastandard   nyaa CAGiversary!   729 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

helveticastandard

Posted 24 July 2020 - 02:03 PM

Also it's incredibly stupid for them to have made "#1 games retailer" the primary goal when a) there are so many better opportunities (smart home, appliances, tvs), b) the industry is moving more towards digital (even when GCU first began), and c) the market they are trying to take from Gamestop has already left. It's like putting all your money into competing against Radioshack

There’s still plenty of money to be made in the next few years, and that’s what would matter most to them. Not to mention, even as weakened as Gamestop is, them closing would still leave a significant vacuum many will aim to take.

#2322 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   13179 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 24 July 2020 - 02:12 PM

Does anyone have experience with updating a cards expiration date on a GCU order where the GCU has expired? I know if I do it on my own I will lose my discount. I tried contacted support via the forums....but since the name on the credit card is a family members and not mine, they refused to help, which is idiotic. I assume I should take screenshots and stuff of the order as it sits now and then call them and explain (or try to explain to the un-informed CSR) and then let them adjust the price back down or something?

Pretty sure you are screwed either way - if you update it or a CSR updates it you will lose the GCU discount.  I'd love to be wrong about that, but I don't think the system will allow the payment change without running the order again and this time you don't have GCU.

Like you said there is a slight chance a CSR will manually adjust the price back down if you explain it to them, but it won't happen automatically, and I wouldn't count on it.

#2323 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10114 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 July 2020 - 07:02 PM

You're screwed. Kiss that GCU discount goodbye!

#2324 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   14185 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 25 July 2020 - 12:50 AM

I agree with the others. You’re screwed, unless you can get a CSR to manually adjust after the fact. Gonna be tough, most likely.

#2325 Confucius   Corporate Shill CAGiversary!   16328 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 25 July 2020 - 02:34 AM

The list of eligible games is awful. Between far fewer credits and loss of GCU, I don't think BB is even trying anymore.

Totally. Not arguing their decision. I'm not involved in the company. My only point is that there's no effort to be competitive, especially now that they've made the digital option cheaper in most cases (ie discounted credit galore, plus/gold discounts).

Can you please buy a fucking clue before you rant about how business works?

#2326 TheLegendofTyler   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3564 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

TheLegendofTyler

Posted 26 July 2020 - 04:50 AM

My GCU expired over a year ago, but I dealt with an expired card and had a CSR adjust it and they assured me that the discount would remain. Once they updated the card the discount was gone and I asked if they could adjust it and they wouldn't because I didn't have GCU anymore... So I was SOL. I hope you have better luck than me.

#2327 BadWaluigi=Luigi  

BadWaluigi=Luigi

Posted 28 July 2020 - 04:25 PM

Can you please buy a fucking clue before you rant about how business works?

care to elaborate? or make an intelligible argument?

#2328 Confucius   Corporate Shill CAGiversary!   16328 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 29 July 2020 - 02:30 AM

care to elaborate? or make an intelligible argument?

Don’t have the time or the inclination. But just know your ranting makes you look like an uninformed idiot. I’m pretty sure any business 101 course at the community college will solve your problem.
  • 62t likes this

#2329 BadWaluigi=Luigi  

BadWaluigi=Luigi

Posted 30 July 2020 - 11:22 AM

Don’t have the time or the inclination. But just know your ranting makes you look like an uninformed idiot. I’m pretty sure any business 101 course at the community college will solve your problem

No time to make an intellectual statement, but time to make more insults. Got it.

#2330 Z-Saber   moon2S CAGiversary!   6780 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 30 July 2020 - 08:57 PM

The slowest, most boring back-and-forth ever.

#2331 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   4302 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted 30 July 2020 - 09:31 PM

I keep taking my popcorn between this thread and the reseller discussion on the Gamestop thread. Need more popcorn!!

#2332 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   14977 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2020 - 03:04 AM

Now with sluggish sales, they need to bring GCU back..........................

It's ironic for me but now that Game Pass has completely spoiled me, I don't plan to buy nearly as many games so GCU died at just the right time for me. Coincidentally, I haven't been shopping at BB since it died either. I should probably be using up those certs I have soon. . .

#2333 Fuzzmeister  

Fuzzmeister

Posted 03 August 2020 - 08:39 PM

Anyone buy an open box controller from BB? Any thoughts on it?  I'm looking at one that's "Open-Box Excellent" for $15 less.

#2334 Keisu  

Posted 03 August 2020 - 09:09 PM

Anyone buy an open box controller from BB? Any thoughts on it?  I'm looking at one that's "Open-Box Excellent" for $15 less.

Buy it, if you don't like it return it.

#2335 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   13179 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 August 2020 - 04:44 AM

Skully currently has a $10 free giftcard with order (game costs $29.99).

#2336 stryker   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   543 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2020 - 03:31 PM

For those that aren't aware.

Best Buy: Receive a special gift during your birthday month when you add your birthday!

#2337 pun123   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3377 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2020 - 08:15 PM

Its 10% coupon off a non sale item.

#2338 ravens52bears54   Thin Blue Line CAGiversary!   1586 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

ravens52bears54

Posted 16 August 2020 - 09:24 PM

Said this before in the PSN thread but I gave it two chances and it didn't hold my attention very long either time. I prefer solid gameplay over a strong narrative and TLoU is very lacking in the former in my opinion.

What exactly isn't 'solid' about the game play? The controls are tight. The combat is very responsive and visceral. What am I missing?

#2339 Ketsui   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1436 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 17 August 2020 - 12:33 AM

Its 10% coupon off a non sale item.

So many exclusions. I was able to get a discount on specific ps4 orders but not ghost of tsushima lol

#2340 topchief1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   500 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

topchief1

Posted 17 August 2020 - 12:48 AM

So many exclusions. I was able to get a discount on specific ps4 orders but not ghost of tsushima lol

I used my 10% off coupon off the ghost of tsushima collectors edition, but those bastards canceled it. I got it back though. I was waffling between Cadence of Hyrule or the Prinny collection,and ended up choosing Prinny, dood.