* * * * - 16 votes

PSN Weekly Deals - 2/15: 2K, Critics Choice, & Ubisoft Game+DLC Sales! $40 RDR2, $6 NBA Live 19, $10 Mafia III, $15 XCOM 2, & More!

#7651 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4482 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 10 February 2019 - 04:42 PM

I typically don't pay attention to who makes licensed titles.

#7652 Vigilante   The Deal Is Already Dead CAGiversary!   36892 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 February 2019 - 05:08 PM

I typically don't pay attention to who makes licensed titles.

Even for a first-party exclusive that was on several GotY lists?

#7653 phoenixlau   backlogged CAGiversary!   494 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 February 2019 - 06:40 PM

Is Sony Rewards not working for everyone else? I got an email telling me I have enough points for a $20 PSN card, but when I try to log in all it says is "Contact Customer Service"...

Sent from my Galaxy Note 9 using Tapatalk

They finally resolved my account merge so that I can properly log in now (it only took 3 months!).  I don't see any trophy pass activity from the gap yet, but points for new purchases did show up and I was finally able to redeem my hostage points.  You should contact customer service, although it may seem like nothing is happening they are definitely working on cases, it just takes forever because there are so many of them from the disastrous migration.

#7654 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   14006 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 February 2019 - 06:49 PM

It's a rogue-like. If you're not expecting to die then the genre isn't for you. Seems dumb to fault the game for not being something else. It's like hating kingdom hearts for not being a dating sim.

If you're looking for a rogue like this one is good but not great. It has way less randomization than others in the genre but playing it coop actually made it fun.

I judge a game for mechanics and funfactor. If a game is fun at its core and combat is rewarding enough to keep me coming back, I can see past the cons. To me, rogue-likes are for people who prefer pick-up games, like mobile, or don't value their time invested; just want to be entertained for an hour or two. I'm not that type of person, but there are plenty of games that fit that description that I will play because they are simply fun. And yes, playing it coop was the only way to really have fun with swords but we got bored of it quick.

#7655 flybrione   Guitar Solo CAGiversary!   3315 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:21 PM

I've heard some not so good things about Swords of Ditto that have turned me off from buying it.

I didn’t think the game was that difficult for a rogue-like. I beat the game on my second try. To get the true ending you have to beat the game a bunch of times. The key to the game is staying out of areas that are over powered for your character level. The game is very similar in style to a Zelda game. They have rebalanced it due to feedback from players. I really enjoyed it and need to go back and finish it more times. I will say that I enjoy rogue games a lot. So if you don’t like that genre I would avoid this game.

#7656 affa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4632 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:03 PM

I judge a game for mechanics and funfactor. If a game is fun at its core and combat is rewarding enough to keep me coming back, I can see past the cons. To me, rogue-likes are for people who prefer pick-up games, like mobile, or don't value their time invested; just want to be entertained for an hour or two. I'm not that type of person, but there are plenty of games that fit that description that I will play because they are simply fun. And yes, playing it coop was the only way to really have fun with swords but we got bored of it quick.

You have it backwards I think. I love roguelike games. But in my opinion, the fans are exactly the opposite of 'pick up and play' fans that just want to be entertained for a few hours.

Rather, most roguelike fans dedicate hundreds of hours to mastering every little system, from how to safely identify all potions in something like nethack, to how to speedrun something like spelunky.

Dying for mistakes is an important part of that process. It's why many people who love likes dont like lites, where there is incremental advancement from run to run because that breaks balance. That is, in a roguelike, mastery is king, in a lite with permanent meta advancement its just about pushing forward enough time. Some lites do this reasonably well, others dont.

#7657 Barry Burton   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1563 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Barry Burton

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:27 PM

so with PS3 and Vita games leaving Plus, we still can download these games as long as we are Plus members right?

we don't need them to be downloaded to our console?

#7658 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4482 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:11 PM

Even for a first-party exclusive that was on several GotY lists?

Again I don't bother paying attention to licensed titles developers since they change hands frequently.  I'm well aware that the newest spiderman was quite popular but who makes it means little to me.

#7659 bobaroo2  

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:25 PM

so with PS3 and Vita games leaving Plus, we still can download these games as long as we are Plus members right?

we don't need them to be downloaded to our console?

no need to download, you will still own them as long as you’re plus

#7660 Lonely Boy   We're all mad here. CAGiversary!   943 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:00 AM

no need to download, you will still own them as long as you’re plus

What if your Plus lapses and you reactivate later?

#7661 jfh2c   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   909 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:32 AM

What if your Plus lapses and you reactivate later?

You’ll get them back once your PS+ is active again.

#7662 RiPPn  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:38 AM

Anyone know if "HITMAN™ - Game of the Year Edition Upgrade" for $9.99 makes the PS+ game the complete edition and is the upgrade worth the price?

#7663 Lonely Boy   We're all mad here. CAGiversary!   943 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 02:53 AM

You’ll get them back once your PS+ is active again.

So same as it's always been then. I'm not sure why they found the need to use such particular verbiage:

Any PS3 or PS Vita Monthly Games downloaded or previously added to your Download List prior to March 8, 2019, will still remain playable for as long as you remain a PlayStation Plus member.

Speaking of reading between the lines, it says "Beyond March 8, 2019, PlayStation Plus Monthly Games will only include PlayStation®4 (PS4™) titles." However, the March 2019 PS+ lineup begins on March 5, so that means we have one more month of PS3/Vita games?

#7664 Zenax[zd]   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   393 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Zenax[zd]

Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:05 AM

Speaking of reading between the lines, it says "Beyond March 8, 2019, PlayStation Plus Monthly Games will only include PlayStation®4 (PS4™) titles." However, the March 2019 PS+ lineup begins on March 5, so that means we have one more month of PS3/Vita games?

According to the PS blog the PS3/vita games for this month will be available until the 8th but the PS4 games will still cycle out on the 5th. So basically, nah, just extending these games a few extra days for whatever reason.

#7665 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11142 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 11 February 2019 - 04:30 AM

Anyone know if "HITMAN™ - Game of the Year Edition Upgrade" for $9.99 makes the PS+ game the complete edition and is the upgrade worth the price?

GOTY edition upgrades adds the Patient Zero campaign (4 missions set on existing season 1 maps), 3 new costumes, and 3 escalation contracts (set on existing season 1 maps) that unlock 3 new weapons (a bat, a new sniper, and a revolver). That is the (almost) complete Hitman (2016) package. The GOTY edition is missing 3 suits that were in the definitive edition of Hitman (2016) when it was re-released by Warner Bros on disc. That included 3 suits inspired by 3 of Io Interactive's other projects. https://www.ioi.dk/w...s-1024x1024.png If you care about that kind of thing, there are no new trophies for the GOTY contents.

I have not played the Patient Zero campaign since buying the GOTY upgrade for the disc version of season 1 is more complicated and it hasn't been a low of price as I would have liked.

Of note, If you own Hitman S1, you can buy the legacy pack from within the Hitman S1 game for free that lets you play all those missions in Hitman 2, you just have to buy and download the free prologue for Hitman 2. https://store.playst...ITMANGAME000002. Once you purchase the season 1 legacy pack for free from within HItman S1, you are able to buy the GOTY legacy upgrade pack that is always $10 which adds the GOTY upgrade contents to Hitman 2. https://store.playst...1GOTYUPGRADE000

So what I would probably recommend is redeem the S1 legacy pack inside Hitman (2016). Play Season 1 missions as a part of Hitman 2 (so that you'll already have a bunch of unlocks if you ever buy Hitman 2). Then if you still want more after going through all the Season 1 contents, you can always buy the legacy GOTY upgrade pack at a later date for $10.

#7666 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   14006 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:26 AM

You have it backwards I think. I love roguelike games. But in my opinion, the fans are exactly the opposite of 'pick up and play' fans that just want to be entertained for a few hours.

Rather, most roguelike fans dedicate hundreds of hours to mastering every little system, from how to safely identify all potions in something like nethack, to how to speedrun something like spelunky.

Dying for mistakes is an important part of that process. It's why many people who love likes dont like lites, where there is incremental advancement from run to run because that breaks balance. That is, in a roguelike, mastery is king, in a lite with permanent meta advancement its just about pushing forward enough time. Some lites do this reasonably well, others dont.

Fair enough. I enjoy mastering classes or combat mechanics, but I'm impatient when it comes to repeat attempts and it feels like a colossal waste of time when I'm going through the motions of making my way to a boss when I'd rather just be practicing on the boss itself. Souls games to some extent give that illusion of lost progress from dying and losing your souls, but still give you the option of speedrunning to a boss just to get back into it. I prefer the option of lost progression over just wasting time backtracking.

#7667 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   3074 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:56 AM

I prefer the option of lost progression over just wasting time backtracking.

Yeah, that's not really how roguelikes work either. Most games require both a knowledge of how everything works, and a good stock of items/equipment on hand; one without the other won't get you too far. With every single dungeon run, successful or not, you're improving your inventory, and you're learning more and more.

Not to mention that getting to the boss is usually no small task in itself. Enemies in roguelikes tend to be powerful and/or have nasty effects that can ruin your day. There is no mindless playing or time wasted in roguelikes; every moment is a learning opportunity and making the best of your situation just to stay alive.

#7668 RiPPn  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 02:11 PM

GOTY edition upgrades adds the Patient Zero campaign (4 missions set on existing season 1 maps), 3 new costumes, and 3 escalation contracts (set on existing season 1 maps) that unlock 3 new weapons (a bat, a new sniper, and a revolver). That is the (almost) complete Hitman (2016) package. The GOTY edition is missing 3 suits that were in the definitive edition of Hitman (2016) when it was re-released by Warner Bros on disc. That included 3 suits inspired by 3 of Io Interactive's other projects. https://www.ioi.dk/w...s-1024x1024.png If you care about that kind of thing, there are no new trophies for the GOTY contents.

I have not played the Patient Zero campaign since buying the GOTY upgrade for the disc version of season 1 is more complicated and it hasn't been a low of price as I would have liked.

Of note, If you own Hitman S1, you can buy the legacy pack from within the Hitman S1 game for free that lets you play all those missions in Hitman 2, you just have to buy and download the free prologue for Hitman 2. https://store.playst...ITMANGAME000002. Once you purchase the season 1 legacy pack for free from within HItman S1, you are able to buy the GOTY legacy upgrade pack that is always $10 which adds the GOTY upgrade contents to Hitman 2. https://store.playst...1GOTYUPGRADE000

So what I would probably recommend is redeem the S1 legacy pack inside Hitman (2016). Play Season 1 missions as a part of Hitman 2 (so that you'll already have a bunch of unlocks if you ever buy Hitman 2). Then if you still want more after going through all the Season 1 contents, you can always buy the legacy GOTY upgrade pack at a later date for $10.

Incredibly clear and concise response that I couldn't find anywhere else that cleared up any and all confusion.  Thanks a ton!

#7669 elessar123  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:49 PM

Yeah, that's not really how roguelikes work either. Most games require both a knowledge of how everything works, and a good stock of items/equipment on hand; one without the other won't get you too far. With every single dungeon run, successful or not, you're improving your inventory, and you're learning more and more.

You're confusing rogue-like and rogue-lite. Rogue-like are games like Rogue/Angband etc where you don't gain anything but your own knowledge when you die. Rogue-lites lets you carry stuff over, like skills, experiences, artifacts, etc.

#7670 dualrec  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:13 PM

I snagged a KH story so far from wamart, but now I'm wondering if I should just watch a catchup video and start with KH3, as I already have a big backlog of current gen games.

#7671 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   3074 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:03 PM

You're confusing rogue-like and rogue-lite. Rogue-like are games like Rogue/Angband etc where you don't gain anything but your own knowledge when you die. Rogue-lites lets you carry stuff over, like skills, experiences, artifacts, etc.

What I'm describing is still a roguelike. Being able to carry over anything at all is not the determining factor between a roguelike and a roguelite.

Most pure roguelikes like classic ASCII ones would have you start from zero every time, but modern ones like Shiren the Wanderer and anything else under the Mystery Dungeon umbrella do have some things that can be carried over, and are still very much roguelikes. There's a world of difference between those and stuff like Ditto or Rogue Legacy.

#7672 Zenaphobe Zerj   Deep Sea Lurker CAGiversary!   607 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Zenaphobe Zerj

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:11 PM

I snagged a KH story so far from wamart, but now I'm wondering if I should just watch a catchup video and start with KH3, as I already have a big backlog of current gen games.

within KH3 itself there are a series of videos that can catch you up. I think it's called the "memory archives" and can be accessed from the main menu. It details the story from all the prior games, and doesn't take too long either. Hope that helps!

#7673 Z-Saber   moon2S CAGiversary!   6136 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:14 PM

While it does indeed have that, it's pretty minimal. A nice refresher if you're already familiar with the plot of the various games, but not that informative if you aren't. Those videos are also available in an official capacity on YouTube.

You're better off watching fanmade summaries or cutscene compilations. And that's only if you genuinely care about the overarching plot.

If you don't care, just watch the included vids and go for it.

#7674 dualrec  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:15 PM

ok, thanks guys. I really want to play them all, but can't realistically see myself doing it.  Might just return the Story so far to walmart.

#7675 Z-Saber   moon2S CAGiversary!   6136 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:18 PM

ok, thanks guys. I really want to play them all, but can't realistically see myself doing it. Might just return the Story so far to walmart.

I think the major, numbered games are worth an attempt, even if it's long down the road. I loved the first one when it came out and still enjoy it. I also just recently replayed the second and it's probably the best of the whole bunch, possibly better than 3.

All the rest are... eh.

#7676 dualrec  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:23 PM

This series is confusing.  So I should eat least play the two 'FINAL MIX' entries?

KINGDOM HEARTS HD 1.5+2.5 ReMIX

• KINGDOM HEARTS FINAL MIX
  • KINGDOM HEARTS Re:Chain of Memories
  • KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 Days (HD Remastered cinematics)
  • KINGDOM HEARTS II FINAL MIX
  • KINGDOM HEARTS Birth by Sleep Final MIX
  • KINGDOM HEARTS Re:coded (HD Remastered cinematics)

KINGDOM HEARTS HD 2.8 FINAL CHAPTER PROLOGUE

• KINGDOM HEARTS Dream Drop Distance HD
  • KINGDOM HEARTS 0.2 Birth by Sleep –A fragmentary passage–
  • KINGDOM HEARTS χ Back Cover (movie)

#7677 Z-Saber   moon2S CAGiversary!   6136 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:43 PM

If you're wanting to play Kingdom Hearts 3 now because you have it already and want to do it, then just do it and try the other stuff later if you end up liking it.

#7678 elessar123  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:47 PM

What I'm describing is still a roguelike. Being able to carry over anything at all is not the determining factor between a roguelike and a roguelite.

You are not expected to win the game with your first character. You start over from the first level when you die. (It is possible to save games but the savefile is deleted upon loading.) The random environment makes this enjoyable rather than punishing.
Mistakes are punished, and any levels you gain or items you earn are taken away when you lose the game.

And which Shiren lets you carry over items? All the ones I've played carried nothing over.

#7679 ssablain   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   102 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

ssablain

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:00 PM

This may be the wrong place to ask but has anyone heard news on the Path of Exile PS4 release? Supposedly it’s coming in February but we are now a week in and no release date announcement that I can find.

Saw the following on Twitter:

The previous dates for announcement/release we mentioned were estimates, but we're now close enough to be able to lock in exact dates in PST: - Feb 19th Announcement. - Mar 8th Launch on PC. - Mar 11th Launch on Xbox One. - For the PS4 launch we expect mid-March is likely.

#7680 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   3074 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:19 PM

And which Shiren lets you carry over items? All the ones I've played carried nothing over.

The ones on SNES, DS, PSP, Wii, and Vita, just from what I've played. But they also have a lot of dungeons that you can't bring anything into, so they qualify as roguelikes by any definition.
  • awp likes this