* * * * - 20 votes

PSN Weekly Deals - 7/9: PS Retro Sale! $4 Arcade Archive games, $14 Konami Collections, $5 Ikaruga, $10 Yakuza Kiwami, & More!

#8101 Z-Saber   moon2S CAGiversary!   6349 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 02 March 2019 - 03:57 PM

Every PS3 model plays PS1 games. In fact, I think the PS4 is the first console released by Sony that doesn't play PS1 games.

This is also news to me. Thanks for the info. I went from a BC PS3 that stopped reading discs to a Super Slim and didn't know about that.

#8102 Ervgotti85   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   924 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 March 2019 - 04:58 PM

I had to download hitman twice like most people because for some reason 3 episodes didn’t unlock the first time, but when I go to look for it under the ps+ tab under library it isn’t there it’s under purchases so is it free of the ps+ license now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8103 Onyxmeth   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   422 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Onyxmeth

Posted 02 March 2019 - 04:59 PM

Every PS3 model plays PS1 games. In fact, I think the PS4 is the first console released by Sony that doesn't play PS1 games.

It can’t handle PS1 games. Needs more horsepower.

#8104 Omni99  

Posted 02 March 2019 - 06:28 PM

I had my BC PS3 die a long time ago. You're going to have to let it go. Buy a brand new super slim, it should last you another 10 years or more. That way you can play PS1+PS3 games. Then pick up a used PS2 dirt cheap somewhere, its the only economical option at this point. To buy another used BC PS3 is just throwing away money this far into their lifespans.

I still have a working BC 60 gig. It did died but I took it to a place to fix it. I'm sure the clock is ticking on it, but I kept it anyways and still bought a new slim PS3. But if the rumored PS5 backwards compatibility for all systems is true then it will have a lot less value.

I would suggest a slim over the super slim mainly because of the little things like the grooves, slide open top for putting discs in, lasers go out faster on them and the hard drive slot missing parts.

Ps2 wise you aren't going to get them dirt cheap anymore so good luck there.  Best deal you are likely to find is through estarland for around 65-75$.

Same advice, get the slim not the super slim.

#8105 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6826 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 March 2019 - 06:37 PM

I would suggest a slim over the super slim mainly because of the little things like the grooves, slide open top for putting discs in, lasers go out faster on them and the hard drive slot missing parts.

Ps2 wise you aren't going to get them dirt cheap anymore so good luck there.  Best deal you are likely to find is through estarland for around 65-75$.

I disagree on the point about choosing a slim over a super slim.  I have two super slims on my PSN account, and both work great.  I dumped the slim to buy a super slim.  The super slims have a later manufacture date on them, so a used one likely will not have as much playtime/wear on it.  And I don't think that enough time has passed from one generation to the next yet to determine if the slide top or the lasers will wear out faster on the super slim.  It seems to be more of an aesthetic concern for fans of the slims than anything else.  Maybe in 10 years we'll know for sure?

#8106 ackbar7   Flamble CAGiversary!   3242 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 March 2019 - 06:42 PM

Do Legendary Fishing says it has PS Move support, for a nonVR game. Does it really? Are there other games like this? Is it really a VR game.

#8107 Watchman   Webslinger/Wanderer Hunter CAGiversary!   1030 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 02 March 2019 - 08:07 PM

Well, as if things can't help but go from bad to worse, last week Tuesday I'm making a left turn on a green arrow and the woman in the oncoming lane decides, "Eh, why stop?"  T-Bones me, obliterates both passenger doors, blows the airbags and totals my car.  Stress ensues since then as I attempt to find a good deal on a new car.

Be glad you walked away. I had someone blow a red light from the right turn lane as I came across f(as in his was never a straight lane, but turn only)--if I had been a second faster or harder on the gas he'd have T-boned me, NO airbag in that car of mine. Instead, he hit my front bumper, spun me out and I've had recurring neck pain since--this was 2002. Now my neck's a fussy thing--I have to have the exact proper elevation to sleep, sit up straight and can't really hunch without having to crack my neck every hour or so.

Glad you're okay.  

#8108 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   5581 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 02 March 2019 - 08:09 PM

This is also news to me. Thanks for the info. I went from a BC PS3 that stopped reading discs to a Super Slim and didn't know about that.

The reason for this is that Sony owns the patent for the chips for the PS1, and they are extremely cheap to manufacture now, so all the chips from the PS1 are included on all models.  PS2 chips are more expensive and one of the ways they saved money in the PS3 era is to remove them...  This is why only launch PS3's have hardware BC.

The exact opposite is true for MS and the 360, they do not own the rights for the chips and therefore would always have to pay extra for them...  This is why the XBone's BC is software based.

#8109 Watchman   Webslinger/Wanderer Hunter CAGiversary!   1030 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 02 March 2019 - 08:21 PM

This is why only launch PS3's have hardware BC.

To be fair, the Metal Gear Solid Bundle was the last of the PS2 BC, and came out some 18 months after the PS3 release--June 2008 vs November 2006, respectively.

#8110 Moofboy   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   400 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 March 2019 - 12:16 AM

To be fair, the Metal Gear Solid Bundle was the last of the PS2 BC, and came out some 18 months after the PS3 release--June 2018 vs November 2016, respectively.

I have that bundle. It began to sound like a jet engine when it was on, even after multiple deep cleanings... I was afraid the ylod was the next step, so I packed it up and put it on display in my game room.

#8111 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   68879 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 03 March 2019 - 01:11 AM

Streaming The Division 2 Beta for about an hour or so if anybody wants to see it in action:

#8112 bee01   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   410 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 March 2019 - 01:38 AM

I posted this in the Xbox thread, but Dead or Alive probably has more fans here:

For those not paying attention, Dead or Alive 6 has the worst costume unlock system ever created.  In previous games, beating arcade mode would unlock a costume for the character you used (or 2 costumes in tag mode).  In DoA6, you get "parts" of a random costume for a random character. 

https://i.redd.it/denolnyetnj21.jpg

Beating arcade mode awarded ONE part for a costume that costs 1000 parts.  After getting the 1000 parts, you have to spend in game currency to actually get the costume.  Quest mode gives more parts, but there are only so many quests (you probably won't get the costume you wanted after beating all the quests).

They basically put a F2P system in a $60 game.  Koei Tecmo greed is insane.

#8113 camperinabush   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   955 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

camperinabush

Posted 03 March 2019 - 01:56 AM

Wario64 tweeted that Hitman First Season from PS+ in February isn’t showing purchased for a lot of people. I checked and had to “rebuy” it. Just an FYI to check, even if you claimed it.

https://store.playst...PLUSFREEGAMES/1

#8114 Indiansfan008   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   368 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Indiansfan008

Posted 03 March 2019 - 02:52 AM

Wario64 tweeted that Hitman First Season from PS+ in February isn’t showing purchased for a lot of people. I checked and had to “rebuy” it. Just an FYI to check, even if you claimed it.

Thanks for the PSA. Mine was not showing as purchased.

#8115 CrepeNuts  

CrepeNuts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 04:13 AM

Weird. Mine wasn't showing purchased either. It's got to be something with it saying "EXCLUSIVE" rather than "FREE" like everything else.

#8116 aaronrodgers   Yo...Siggy, Phido! CAGiversary!   1802 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

aaronrodgers

Posted 03 March 2019 - 04:13 AM

The Council any good?

How about Little Witch Academia?

#8117 EvilSena  

Posted 03 March 2019 - 05:00 AM

Dang it. Missed out on the muramasa rebirth dlc. Hopefully, it will come again next time.

#8118 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4756 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 03 March 2019 - 05:10 AM

I disagree on the point about choosing a slim over a super slim.  I have two super slims on my PSN account, and both work great.  I dumped the slim to buy a super slim.  The super slims have a later manufacture date on them, so a used one likely will not have as much playtime/wear on it.  And I don't think that enough time has passed from one generation to the next yet to determine if the slide top or the lasers will wear out faster on the super slim.  It seems to be more of an aesthetic concern for fans of the slims than anything else.  Maybe in 10 years we'll know for sure?

Oh most definitely they work fine just they have a number of aesthetic and minor issues over the slim. Super slim is the worst to clean of the bunch thanks to the grooves. Though it's still not a dust and fingerprint magnet as much as the phat was.  The disc reading sound is also noticeably louder than the slim and phat which I forgot about. Fan wise it's quieter than the phat.  My launch phat is quiet as the slim but it's probably an exception to the rule.  Laser wise my experience has been that slide top lasers tend to go faster in previous systems.  The ps2 slim and gamecubes lasers both died significantly faster than my phat ps2 or wiis.  But yeah nothing confirmed yet for the super slim that I know of laser wise.

#8119 astrotide   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   66 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 03 March 2019 - 08:29 AM

To be fair, the Metal Gear Solid Bundle was the last of the PS2 BC, and came out some 18 months after the PS3 release--June 2018 vs November 2016, respectively.

I had to read that twice... Minus a decade, of course.

#8120 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   5581 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 03 March 2019 - 07:38 PM

That was actually software BC... It was only partial BC and Sony retired it pretty quickly.

#8121 CrepeNuts  

CrepeNuts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 12:09 AM

Push Square published this article but has since deleted it. Tried the Google cache but apparently, it was deleted before it was cached. The article isn't inaccurate because they did indeed turn off the ability to comment on PS Blog posts. Wonder what's going on.

dTj25xH.png

#8122 Mr. Lonely   We're all mad here. CAGiversary!   1084 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2019 - 12:26 AM

Push Square published this article but has since deleted it. Tried the Google cache but apparently, it was deleted before it was cached. The article isn't inaccurate because they did indeed turn off the ability to comment on PS Blog posts. Wonder what's going on.

I was going to mention that around the time they posted the 2 free games for this month. Likely, all they were going to get was negative comments so they disabled it. They don’t give a shit about us, they’re just protecting their brand. Still, I’m curious why PushSquare would rescind that article unless Sony reached out to them in some way.

#8123 FlyingMonkey9   Genetically Modified CAG CAGiversary!   4082 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

FlyingMonkey9

Posted 04 March 2019 - 12:59 AM

I saw that due to maintenance on ps blog comments were disabled a few weeks ago- sounds like pushsquare May have jumped the gun

#8124 FlyingMonkey9   Genetically Modified CAG CAGiversary!   4082 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

FlyingMonkey9

Posted 04 March 2019 - 01:03 AM

I saw that due to maintenance on ps blog comments were disabled a few weeks ago- sounds like pushsquare May have jumped the gun

#8125 GamerSavage   The Throwback Kid CAGiversary!   1107 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

GamerSavage

Posted 04 March 2019 - 01:47 AM

Sony has officially discontinued production of the Vita yesterday: https://www.polygon....ed-ps-vita-sony

Not surprising though, Sony basically released it and left it to die.

#8126 simmias   Likely to be eaten by a grue CAGiversary!   4714 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2019 - 02:20 AM

Same thing happened to my BC ps4 and I tried everything to fix it.

Oh man... where'd you get one of those?  I want one!

#8127 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   3179 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 04 March 2019 - 03:26 AM

They didn't leave the Vita to die; they orchestrated its demise.

#8128 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   68879 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 04 March 2019 - 03:44 AM

#8129 GamerSavage   The Throwback Kid CAGiversary!   1107 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

GamerSavage

Posted 04 March 2019 - 03:45 AM

They didn't leave the Vita to die; they orchestrated its demise.

True

I didn't realize it lasted seven years though, 2012 seems like a lifetime ago.

#8130 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   5581 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 04 March 2019 - 10:04 AM

Sony has officially discontinued production of the Vita yesterday: https://www.polygon....ed-ps-vita-sony

Not surprising though, Sony basically released it and left it to die.

I'm still hoping they do a console release of Uncharted: Golden Abyss... I have no idea if today's news helps/hurts/or has no effect on that. Probably nil.