* - - - - 2 votes

New Monthly $5 Dollar Cert for Power Up Rewards Pro

#31 ritchardf  

Posted 29 December 2019 - 07:10 PM

You're better off not going to GS at all and picking them up $10 off at walmart lol

yeah, dont shop at the place that underpays and overworks their employees and disrespects their customers, shop at...wait

#32 Chakius   Banned Banned   303 Posts   Joined 0.9 Years Ago  

Chakius

Posted 29 December 2019 - 07:18 PM

You're better off not going to GS at all and picking them up $10 off at walmart lol

If you can find them at your local Walmart.  2 Mom & PoP Video game stores near me buy them all on release.

They got fed up paying their local distributor $48 per $60 new game, in bulk, getting stuck with some unsellables at that price (and quantity required to buy).  $50 at Walmart is convenient, sellable for $60 in their store, yet purchasable in smaller, controllable quantities. 

I know this because I hang out with some of their employees.  Fun folk, similar interests.

On release week I see the Walmart case display, and the game(s) I want is/are always empty.  No surprise.  I chuckle.

#33 Baby Yoda  

Baby Yoda

Posted 29 December 2019 - 07:24 PM

So I'm better off not preordering and going to pick up new releases day one and using it that way?

If you don't have trade credit at Gamestop, then just go to Walmart or Target, like others have mentioned.

#34 Baby Yoda  

Baby Yoda

Posted 29 December 2019 - 07:27 PM

If you can find them at your local Walmart.  2 Mom & PoP Video game stores near me buy them all on release.

They got fed up paying their local distributor $48 per $60 new game, in bulk, getting stuck with some unsellables at that price.  $50 at Walmart is convenient, sellable for $60 in their store, yet purchasable in smaller, controllable quantities. 

I know this because I hang out with some of their employees.  Fun folk, similar interests.

On release week I see the Walmart case display, and the game(s) I want is/are always empty.  No surprise.

I saw the same thing happen at a Best Buy back when the Playstation One was a hot seller. A lady from the local game store came into Best Buy and bought about 10 Playstations to sell at her store. Now they have rules that say no resellers allowed.

#35 pun123   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3365 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 29 December 2019 - 07:36 PM

few days left to use $5 cert

#36 Skititlez   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   90 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Skititlez

Posted 29 December 2019 - 07:44 PM

If you don't have trade credit at Gamestop, then just go to Walmart or Target, like others have mentioned.

Depends on the game too. Big release? Sure. But do I really expect them to get a ton of stock on something like Tokyo Mirage Sessions? Not really.

#37 Chakius   Banned Banned   303 Posts   Joined 0.9 Years Ago  

Chakius

Posted 29 December 2019 - 07:46 PM

I saw the same thing happen at a Best Buy back when the Playstation One was a hot seller. A lady from the local game store came into Best Buy and bought about 10 Playstations to sell at her store. Now they have rules that say no resellers allowed.

Walmart / Best Buy / Target has no real way to know who is a reseller.  Even GameStop, for that matter.  They can evaluate based on consistent behavior -- but what if it gets spread out, across multiple people.

They can impose limits to prevent reselling, sure.

Think employees, friends, family members..  favorable patrons willing to be bribed to do the dirty work..  anyone with a stake in the deal(s).

#38 MaximusDM   What is a man!? CAGiversary!   454 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 29 December 2019 - 07:56 PM

few days left to use $5 cert

Is thatt only for new members? Because I haven't started receiving any certificates in my active offers yet.

#39 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   3606 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 29 December 2019 - 10:25 PM

yeah, dont shop at the place that underpays and overworks their employees and disrespects their customers, shop at...wait

🎯

#40 Davem   Picture was the top google result for my username CAG Veteran   613 Posts   Joined 1.0 Years Ago  

Posted 30 December 2019 - 09:57 PM

So for those of you that renewed Pro membership with an active membership, what could you spend the first $5 cert on the receipt on? I saw it wasnt usable on pre-owned until spring 2020 and didn't work on a GS GC, but are gaming gift cards allowed ($5 eshop?) or just full priced non-sale merch or new games?  :oldman:

#41 briandadude   Vita + Xbox + Switch CAGiversary!   896 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

briandadude

Posted 30 December 2019 - 10:01 PM

So for those of you that renewed Pro membership with an active membership, what could you spend the first $5 cert on the receipt on? I saw it wasnt usable on pre-owned until spring 2020 and didn't work on a GS GC, but are gaming gift cards allowed ($5 eshop?) or just full priced non-sale merch or new games?  :oldman:

I bought a $10 eShop card as they said that was the lowest value I could get (had to be a physical eShop card).

#42 easper   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   792 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 30 December 2019 - 10:02 PM

So for those of you that renewed Pro membership with an active membership, what could you spend the first $5 cert on the receipt on? I saw it wasnt usable on pre-owned until spring 2020 and didn't work on a GS GC, but are gaming gift cards allowed ($5 eshop?) or just full priced non-sale merch or new games? :oldman:

Eshop card didn’t work but PSN card did. Weird. Not sure about other POS cards but would love to know for next month.

#43 easper   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   792 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 30 December 2019 - 10:04 PM

I bought a $10 eShop card as they said that was the lowest value I could get (had to be a physical eShop card).

Lucky! They tried that for me and he said it didn’t work. He must have mistyped the code or something.

#44 Davem   Picture was the top google result for my username CAG Veteran   613 Posts   Joined 1.0 Years Ago  

Posted 30 December 2019 - 10:22 PM

Thanks, I'm a little bummed if we can't use it on clearance items (like, why not?) I could use some more gaming christmas stuff... I was probably going to re-up for another year tomorrow to get the instant +$5 and see what I can get!  :beer:

#45 MSUHitman   former Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14797 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 30 December 2019 - 11:37 PM

This has been the standard for new Pro memberships or renewals since the Nov. Pro Days sale. The $5 off monthly certificates are taking the place of the 10% off used games and accessories. Also no more B2G1F on used coupons with signup or renewal.

The 10% off used discount is still active but is supposed to end around when Q4 ends in March.

#46 paulwekiva   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   747 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 31 December 2019 - 01:27 AM

Eshop card didn’t work but PSN card did. Weird. Not sure about other POS cards but would love to know for next month.

IF the monthly $5 rewards certificates continue to work on PSN cards, you could use it for those and build up enough credit to pay for your yearly subscription ($60 sub when not on sale for only $20).  If it is just physical cards I think the lowest you can get is $10 so I guess that isn;t quite as good.  If you can get the kind that is a code on a receipt....it's pure win for that kind of thing (pure loss for no 10% discount on preowned games, though).

#47 pun123   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3365 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 31 December 2019 - 01:28 AM

Looks like you cant just come in anymore and get $5 xbox card, had to get $15 instead, but still 33% off isnt bad.

#48 nbskid   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   226 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 31 December 2019 - 01:34 AM

I have enough points for a 10 dollars reward certificate, but I'm thinking of waiting a few days to get the 5 dollar "free" one and get a 10 dollar one, combine them and get some cheap "new" Switch game.  I hope that works...

#49 easper   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   792 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 31 December 2019 - 01:44 AM

The only reason I signed up for another year is that the 10% discount on my B2G2 purchase made it so it was only $3 more to re-up on Pro. I figure I can get at least $3 in value during the next year. For this first $5 cert that expires tomorrow I just bought a pack of Pokémon cards for my daughter’s birthday.

#50 Oregon   CAG Collector CAGiversary!   2219 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 31 December 2019 - 06:07 AM

What if GS did 20% off new games with Pro?  That might get me to sub and start shopping there again.

i guess im dreaming.

#51 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   3606 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 31 December 2019 - 06:32 AM

Yeah, that's not going to happen. Amazon, Best Buy, Gamestop; once one of them started to drop gaming benefit programs, the rest all followed suit.

#52 briandadude   Vita + Xbox + Switch CAGiversary!   896 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

briandadude

Posted 01 January 2020 - 06:10 AM

Sooo where’s that $5 coupon? 😜

#53 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7897 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:33 AM

I have to renew my Pro membership today.  Meant to do it yesterday, but I had too much to do before New Year's Eve and never got around to it.  

Either way, I'll let you guys know if they're still putting the $5 coupon on the receipt or not.

#54 briandadude   Vita + Xbox + Switch CAGiversary!   896 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

briandadude

Posted 01 January 2020 - 03:35 PM

My $5 coupon now appears in the app. Fine print says it expires 1/20/20 though...probably a typo?

#55 JJSP   Not Broke, Just Bent CAGiversary!   10135 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2020 - 04:17 PM

LOL I had 5,000 points auto redeem for a $5 coupon yesterday that expired the same day. Awesome.

#56 Skititlez   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   90 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Skititlez

Posted 01 January 2020 - 04:26 PM

Can anyone confirm whether the $5 Pro Coupon works in the same transaction with redeemed Rewards Certificates?

#57 pjgamer007   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   532 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2020 - 05:08 PM

My $5 coupon now appears in the app. Fine print says it expires 1/20/20 though...probably a typo?

Mine shows that date, but also has "offer expires 1/30/2020" right under the barcode.  Hoping that later date is correct, but who knows for sure.  I will most likely use mine sooner than later just to be safe.

#58 nbskid   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   226 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2020 - 07:00 PM

I never signed up for the new program, I renewed my Pro membership back in July.  I thought I'd still get the 5 dollar reward certificate...It's not showing up in my app. Then again, if I look at the reward certificates I can buy with points, the only ones I can buy are the ones that expired yesterday!

Where are you seeing the 5 dollar coupon in the app?

#59 Skititlez   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   90 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Skititlez

Posted 01 January 2020 - 08:37 PM

I never signed up for the new program, I renewed my Pro membership back in July. I thought I'd still get the 5 dollar reward certificate...It's not showing up in my app. Then again, if I look at the reward certificates I can buy with points, the only ones I can buy are the ones that expired yesterday!

Where are you seeing the 5 dollar coupon in the app?

Under Active Offers.

#60 easper   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   792 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2020 - 08:38 PM

I see my $5 cert under Active Offers. Says it expires 1/30/2020. Interestingly, it says "$5 off any GS item" and the fine print does not indicate that it won't work on pre-owned. Doesn't mean it WILL work, but the $5 coupon I got printed on my receipt last week explicitly excluded PO.