* - - - - 2 votes

New Monthly $5 Dollar Cert for Power Up Rewards Pro

#61 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7901 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2020 - 08:51 PM

I have to renew my Pro membership today.  Meant to do it yesterday, but I had too much to do before New Year's Eve and never got around to it.  

Either way, I'll let you guys know if they're still putting the $5 coupon on the receipt or not.

I got the $5 code on my receipt when I renewed my Pro today.  Mine is good until 1/31/20 and did not work on the purchase of an Xbox gift card.  I saved it for another day.

#62 ritchardf  

Posted 01 January 2020 - 08:57 PM

I got the $5 code on my receipt when I renewed my Pro today.  Mine is good until 1/31/20 and did not work on the purchase of an Xbox gift card.  I saved it for another day.

I didnt get a code in my active offers, but wtf? doesnt work on gaming gift cards, doesnt work on used games. starting to sound pretty worthless for everyone but the collectible crowd.

#63 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   3607 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 01 January 2020 - 09:18 PM

"* Rewards Certificates not eligible for use on pre-owned games and accessories until program launches in Spring 2020."

We're just a few hours into the year. Give it a little time, especially since this is Gamestop.

#64 whitereflection   Shake well before serving CAGiversary!   5698 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

whitereflection

Posted 01 January 2020 - 09:36 PM

I didnt get a code in my active offers, but wtf? doesnt work on gaming gift cards, doesnt work on used games. starting to sound pretty worthless for everyone but the collectible crowd.

He's talking about the bonus for signing up, not the monthly cert. I don't think most people have even received a cert yet.

#65 ritchardf  

Posted 01 January 2020 - 09:45 PM

"* Rewards Certificates not eligible for use on pre-owned games and accessories until program launches in Spring 2020."

We're just a few hours into the year. Give it a little time, especially since this is Gamestop.

because this is gamestop, i dont expect them to be able to change anything that has already been programmed unless its to take something away.

He's talking about the bonus for signing up, not the monthly cert. I don't think most people have even received a cert yet.

it seemed pretty mixed between people getting it for signing up and those getting it in the active offers, so i didnt really understand that somehow the same offer would apply differently.

#66 nbskid   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   227 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:49 PM

Ya, I don't have a cert in my active offers. I didn't renew early for the bonus, just was waiting until January for the January 5 dollar off coupon...

Shrug. Guess I wait longer lol

#67 easper   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   792 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:51 PM

Got an email about my January $5 cert and it confirmed that the new program starts on 1/16. Hopefully that means the monthly cert will apply to more items then but it also means if you want to use the current 10% pre-owned discount do it soon.

#68 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   3607 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 02 January 2020 - 12:07 AM

I was hoping to be able to stack my birthday coupon, $5 coupon, and Pro discount, but it looks like both the discount and my birthday coupon expire right when the new program officially starts.

because this is gamestop, i dont expect them to be able to change anything that has already been programmed unless its to take something away.

It hasn't even started yet. You're basically saying you don't trust them to do anything at all..

#69 briandadude   Vita + Xbox + Switch CAGiversary!   896 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

briandadude

Posted 02 January 2020 - 01:05 AM

Got an email about my January $5 cert and it confirmed that the new program starts on 1/16. Hopefully that means the monthly cert will apply to more items then but it also means if you want to use the current 10% pre-owned discount do it soon.

Huh. My $5 active offer appeared this morning.

*$5 Off Any One GameStop Item
01/01/2020
01/31/2020

Valid 1/1 - 1/20/20. GameStop loyalty card required. May be combined with loyalty and employee discounts and other GameStop promotions. Coupon is required at time of purchase. Limit one per customer. No dealers. No substitutions will be made. Prices subject to change. See sales associate for complete details. Selection may vary by store. Some exclusions may apply. While supplies last. GameStop coupon is required.

#70 The 7th Number   Sipping hot tea like a sir with my pinky out! CAGiversary!   7013 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

The 7th Number

Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:14 AM

When i try to buy the pro membership it says sorry youre already a powerup reward loyalty member. Is this for new members only?

#71 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   825 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2020 - 05:35 PM

I got the $5 code on my receipt when I renewed my Pro today. Mine is good until 1/31/20 and did not work on the purchase of an Xbox gift card. I saved it for another day.

The $5 is worthless to me in most cases if it doesn’t work on eshop/psn :/

#72 dancognito   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   139 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

dancognito

Posted 02 January 2020 - 05:38 PM

I see my $5 cert under Active Offers. Says it expires 1/30/2020. Interestingly, it says "$5 off any GS item" and the fine print does not indicate that it won't work on pre-owned. Doesn't mean it WILL work, but the $5 coupon I got printed on my receipt last week explicitly excluded PO.

Mine too. I was part of the trial program so I’ve been using them on $10 psn cards. Now that the program is fully launch can I still use them on those cards now that pre-owned isn’t an option?

#73 Kirin Lemon   世界を革命する者 CAGiversary!   5130 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Kirin Lemon

Posted 02 January 2020 - 05:51 PM

Mine too. I was part of the trial program so I’ve been using them on $10 psn cards. Now that the program is fully launch can I still use them on those cards now that pre-owned isn’t an option?

I used my January certificate on a PSN card yesterday.

#74 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   3607 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 02 January 2020 - 08:36 PM

The program isn't fully launched yet. When it is it will work on preowned products; not sure if it will work on digital credit.

Edit: there you go; previous poster confirmed it.

#75 enorris116   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   877 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2020 - 08:58 PM

I was able to just use my Dec and Jan $5 certs on pre owned Move Controllers. 2 separate transactions.

#76 HappySnappy  

HappySnappy

Posted 02 January 2020 - 10:06 PM

excuse me, where do you find your $5 cert for being a pro member? All this bragging without telling where it is has got me in a tizzy. It's not in active offers and poweruprewards pro page doesn't do anything for me.

Edit: NVM,someone said they saw it in active offers

#77 topchief1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   475 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

topchief1

Posted 02 January 2020 - 10:11 PM

I sincerely doubt anyone is actually bragging about this, Considering it's another signal of the beginning of the end for gamestop

#78 tubtub   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   832 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 03 January 2020 - 12:57 AM

When i try to buy the pro membership it says sorry youre already a powerup reward loyalty member. Is this for new members only?

I have the same issue. Cant renew online even though they've been emailing me to renew and sending a link that just goes to the normal powerup page.

#79 gunstar808   Capitalism, Ho! CAGiversary!   1184 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 03 January 2020 - 04:33 AM

Used my $5 cert in store today. It would not work on a $10 eShop, but did work on $10 PSN.

#80 xXJonoXx   Resident Che(vil)ap CAGiversary!   943 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 03 January 2020 - 05:34 AM

I can confirm that you can buy things less than $5 with your certificate. I bought a keychain for $4.97 and it worked, didn’t have to pay anything.

#81 Alien Spider   #SQUIRTLESQUAD CAGiversary!   1454 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Alien Spider

Posted 03 January 2020 - 02:36 PM

Used my $5 cert in store today. It would not work on a $10 eShop, but did work on $10 PSN.

Ah, the only reason I was thinking of getting the Pro membership was to use the certs towards eShop credit. I wonder if that will change after the 16th?

#82 Touch3  

Posted 04 January 2020 - 05:35 AM

I tried to use my $5 cert on Xbox currency today.  It didn't work.  Tried both a $10 digital print-on-receipt code and a physical $15 card: No luck.

#83 pun123   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3365 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2020 - 05:51 AM

I tried to use my $5 cert on Xbox currency today.  It didn't work.  Tried both a $10 digital print-on-receipt code and a physical $15 card: No luck.

Thats weird, used mine on a $25 dollar xbox gift card and worked no problem.  Last month picked up a $15 gift card with it also.

#84 DavidD   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   152 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2020 - 06:16 AM

As I was trading in excess Christmas gifts today (why return a $30 BOTW to Walmart when I can get $45 in credit?), I got a Pro account and the $5 coupon...

Even though clerks previously said it would work on anything, and the code on the receipt says it's good on anything OTHER than pre-owned stuff, it doesn't work on eShop cards -- nor Nintendo Online memberships, nor Nintendo Switch game download codes.

Weirdly, it will work on PSN cards -- but not on MS cards.  I didn't want either of those, but today's clerk said that was his experience.

The only "logic"  he could come up with is that the Nintendo cards have a dollar amount listed, and the PSN cards have "points"...

#85 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   825 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2020 - 01:46 PM

As I was trading in excess Christmas gifts today (why return a $30 BOTW to Walmart when I can get $45 in credit?), I got a Pro account and the $5 coupon...

Even though clerks previously said it would work on anything, and the code on the receipt says it's good on anything OTHER than pre-owned stuff, it doesn't work on eShop cards -- nor Nintendo Online memberships, nor Nintendo Switch game download codes.

Weirdly, it will work on PSN cards -- but not on MS cards. I didn't want either of those, but today's clerk said that was his experience.

The only "logic" he could come up with is that the Nintendo cards have a dollar amount listed, and the PSN cards have "points"...

This is such a GS thing to do....i sure do hope they aren’t competent enough to kill elite pro and replace with this nonsense:/

#86 MachRay   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   178 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2020 - 03:02 PM

Can anyone confirm if you can use it on steam cards?

#87 Renzler   Dude CAGiversary!   1885 Posts   Joined 2.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2020 - 10:16 PM

That's weird about the $5 monthly cert not working on eShop, because I bought a $50 eShop card (Link picture card) in store with $50 cert yesterday.

#88 Davem   Picture was the top google result for my username CAG Veteran   618 Posts   Joined 1.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2020 - 11:00 PM

Mine expires in spring, and still no $5 cert, so I guess I'm part of the 1-16 crowd! Hoping the trade-in values don't change too much with the "pre-owned price adjustments".

#89 TheLegendofTyler   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3454 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

TheLegendofTyler

Posted 04 January 2020 - 11:03 PM

The extra trade in credit isn't going anywhere, just the 10% off

#90 ray2dee   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1670 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2020 - 11:31 PM

I just used that to purchase eshop credit