* * * - - 6 votes

Super Mario 3D All Stars (Physical) up for preorder

#91 soonersfan60   Longing for retro CAG... CAGiversary!   4448 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

soonersfan60

Posted 04 September 2020 - 02:09 PM

I really feel they should have thrown in Galaxy 2 - that's another masterpiece. 

The speculation is that Nintendo will do a few more things to Galaxy 2 and try to make it a value-added stand alone remade game for full price by itself.

#92 gmsick   $50,000... CASH!!! CAGiversary!   1674 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 September 2020 - 02:15 PM

Canceled my preorder. I'm not even going to try to flip this. People who want this should be able to buy it especially now. 

#93 soonersfan60   Longing for retro CAG... CAGiversary!   4448 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

soonersfan60

Posted 04 September 2020 - 02:15 PM

I just preordered from Amazon and got $15 off for using Chase Reward points for part of the purchase total.  You have to click some button first for the offer to actually activate.  It's worth looking into if you have a Chase Freedom card.

Here is the link for the offer if you don't see it.I'm

https://www.amazon.c...ode=21328382011

I'm NOT eligible?! I've only had a Chase acccount since 1988 (back when it was Bank One in Ohio), and I have a almot maxed out credit card with rewards? Is there something special I need to do to get "invited"?

#94 DesertLeo   DontReadThis. CAGiversary!   2482 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 04 September 2020 - 02:35 PM

Canceled my preorder. I'm not even going to try to flip this. People who want this should be able to buy it especially now.

Same here. I initially wanted to get it JUST to resell, but that felt kinda scuzzy so I canceled my pre-order.

#95 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3379 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 04 September 2020 - 02:38 PM

Good. People like you buying these things to flip is exactly the shit that's caused this sort of retail shenanigans Nintendo is doing. And soon the other game publishers will be doing.

#96 Freeze Time  

Freeze Time

Posted 04 September 2020 - 02:44 PM

I only have in store gift cards at Target so I can't pre-order online. Will see if I can do so in an actual store.

#97 Equippt  

Posted 04 September 2020 - 02:55 PM

Just having these games all in progressive scan and upscaled with sunshine and galaxy in widescreen is a pretty nice upgrade. My only question right now is, if playing on a Docked Switch with the GC adapter, will Sunshine use the analog triggers of the GC controllers to control the water pressure? or am I remembering wrong how that game played?

I don't remember if the analog triggers did anything special in Sunshine, but according to the JP site the GC adapter/controller won't work with the Switch version anyway:
https://www.nintendo...ducts/soft.html

#98 Nine Lives   Making Kawaii Lolis sweat CAGiversary!   556 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Nine Lives

Posted 04 September 2020 - 03:13 PM

That may not be a popular opinion, but I have to agree. Very uneven and some levels — I’m looking at you, pachinko level — are almost impossible due to poor camera angles. I seem to recall hearing they had to rush the game to meet a deadline?

That Delfino Plaza music though...that tune will stick in your head for days...

I 3rd this if we’re talking about the 3D Mario games. Sunshine has way too many blue coin and boss missions.

#99 gmsick   $50,000... CASH!!! CAGiversary!   1674 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 September 2020 - 03:15 PM

Good. People like you buying these things to flip is exactly the shit that's caused this sort of retail shenanigans Nintendo is doing. And soon the other game publishers will be doing.

Sure dude. That's why Nintendo does this. Poor guy.  ;)

#100 gmsick   $50,000... CASH!!! CAGiversary!   1674 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 September 2020 - 03:20 PM

That may not be a popular opinion, but I have to agree. Very uneven and some levels — I’m looking at you, pachinko level — are almost impossible due to poor camera angles. I seem to recall hearing they had to rush the game to meet a deadline?

That Delfino Plaza music though...that tune will stick in your head for days...

Yeah Sunshine was easily the worst mainline 3D Mario game (sales & reviews would agree). Doesn't mean it was a bad game though. At least imo. 

#101 Staind204   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2515 Posts   Joined 18.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 September 2020 - 03:29 PM

I just preordered from Amazon and got $15 off for using Chase Reward points for part of the purchase total. You have to click some button first for the offer to actually activate. It's worth looking into if you have a Chase Freedom card.

Here is the link for the offer if you don't see it.
https://www.amazon.c...ode=21328382011

This seems like the best deal, thanks for posting.

#102 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3878 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 04 September 2020 - 03:37 PM

I don't remember if the analog triggers did anything special in Sunshine, but according to the JP site the GC adapter/controller won't work with the Switch version anyway:
https://www.nintendo...ducts/soft.html

I just read an article on it too.... and it confirmed my memory that the analog triggers (I think it was the R one) controlled the water pressure.  Seems like there were puzzles/missions where this matters.  I guess as far as just shooting water around the stick would provide some control of the pressure so you could spray near to far.

#103 whodoneit   Cheap Ass Player? Apparently CAGiversary!   878 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 September 2020 - 03:48 PM

You're either naive or just part of the FOMO demo nintendo targets.

#104 ThatOneGuyWho   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7106 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

ThatOneGuyWho

Posted 04 September 2020 - 03:55 PM

As these are exactly the same games with NOTHING new, not even cleaner graphics, I'm pretty sure 99% of all you have already played them before back then when the games mattered.

And yet those same people act like they never played them before

Lol

Here are the actual improvements.

Graphics;

• Super Mario 64 | Docked mode: 960 × 720 pixels, Handheld mode: 960 × 720 pixels
  • Super Mario Sunshine | Docked mode: 1920 × 1080 pixels, Handheld mode: 1280 × 720 pixels
  • Super Mario Galaxy | Docked mode: Up to 1920 x 1080 pixels, Handheld mode: Up to 1280 x 720 pixels

Specific to 64;

Video comparison showing the improvements graphically;

You can actually see in the video that some of the animations, colors and worlds were changed.

Screenshot_2-3511.jpg?quality=90&strip=a

Controls;

Extras;

• Music player mode for all 3 games for each games soundtrack.

So yeah, not "nothing new". Plenty enough to justify $20 per game.

#105 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7724 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 04 September 2020 - 04:05 PM

So yeah, not "nothing new". Plenty enough to justify $20 per game.

I would say that's a personal opinion, and your entitled to it, but even for $20 per, I see little value here even with the added features. 

#106 ThatOneGuyWho   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7106 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

ThatOneGuyWho

Posted 04 September 2020 - 04:10 PM

I would say that's a personal opinion, and your entitled to it, but even for $20 per, I see little value here even with the added features. 

And that's fine for you to think but let's not say nothing new was added. That's simply a lie.

#107 Nine Lives   Making Kawaii Lolis sweat CAGiversary!   556 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Nine Lives

Posted 04 September 2020 - 04:37 PM

I know I’m in the minority but I would have preferred paying $60 for Super Mario 64 if they gave it the Crash/Spyro treatment.

#108 BreadNiblets   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1504 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

BreadNiblets

Posted 04 September 2020 - 04:51 PM

I'm getting them, but I agree that there's essentially nothing new here. For me, simply getting some old games to play on your latest console and not look like garbage on a modern TV doesn't amount to a feature or anything new, it's just the least you can do.

#109 LonelyBacteria  

LonelyBacteria

Posted 04 September 2020 - 05:06 PM

Is GameStop taking normal $5 down preorders on this?

#110 nevermeltice  

nevermeltice

Posted 04 September 2020 - 05:08 PM

They are, I pre-ordered in store yesterday

#111 ssjr760   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   310 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 September 2020 - 05:09 PM

Where is everyone seeing the digital version will be off the market in March? Watching the video i only saw it for the Mario 30vs30 unless i missed.

#112 Vigilante   poyo CAGiversary!   38157 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 September 2020 - 05:16 PM

Where is everyone seeing the digital version will be off the market in March? Watching the video i only saw it for the Mario 30vs30 unless i missed.

https://www.gematsu....nced-for-switch

Even when you aren’t playing, you can enjoy the sounds that these worlds (and galaxies!) are so famous for. With three games, modern upgrades, and music-player mode, this collection is filled with fun for both new players and 3D platforming Mario masters. Super Mario 3D All-Stars will be available as a limited-run retail edition and a digital edition that is available for a limited time until the end of March 2021.

#113 An Orange Cat   Pet My Fur CAGiversary!   1570 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

An Orange Cat

Posted 04 September 2020 - 05:30 PM

Mario no longer says "so long gay Bowser" in Mario 64. Pre-order cancelled.

#114 Cagg  

Posted 04 September 2020 - 06:28 PM

Nintendo is saying 16:9 is new for Super Mario Sunshine for this release. I just put the GameCube disc of Super Mario Sunshine into my Wii and played for a bit. I was expecting the play screen to be 4:3 boxed, but it wasn't; the play screen filled my entire modern HD TV screen. Is this not considered 16:9 already? I'm sure I'm not understanding something.

#115 rpgaymer  

rpgaymer

Posted 04 September 2020 - 06:32 PM

And that's fine for you to think but let's not say nothing new was added. That's simply a lie.

I mean, you could just as easily argue that content was removed, as the added characters and genuinely great new levels from Mario 64 DS aren't included in 3D All Stars.

I'm as big of a Nintendo fanboy as anyone, but this collection sucks. The original All Stars at least had an all new art style and the first chance to play Lost Levels outside of Japan. They could've used the Odyssey engine to remake each game every year and sold them at full price, easily. Mario Sunshine especially is objectively the worst- or I should say... least good- 3D Mario game, and its inclusion makes the decision to omit the brilliant Galaxy 2 sting even more. Mario Sunshine deserves a straight up remake that would fix all of its issues, like how Wind Waker HD streamlined the sailing and that unbearable triforce piece quest. I'd even take 3D Land again over og Sunshine tbh.

And the limited run decision, on the eshop as well no less, is fucked up. This is their big holiday release. There's nothing else coming. Making it artificially scarce is a big middle finger to the average switch owner.

I'll be renting it from gamefly or my library, but I'm not buying it.

#116 rpgaymer  

rpgaymer

Posted 04 September 2020 - 06:48 PM

The speculation is that Nintendo will do a few more things to Galaxy 2 and try to make it a value-added stand alone remade game for full price by itself.

This would be bizarre. Galaxy 2 is my favorite Mario game, but it's basically a standalone expansion pack for Galaxy 1. Remaking Galaxy 2 and not remaking Galaxy 1 makes no sense. I think this rumor is just a bunch of wishful thinking.

I genuinely believe Nintendo has this weird aversion to Galaxy 2 because it was the only time they made a straight up sequel to a Mario game aside from the original SMB2 and those casual gamer bait "New" SMB games. They want every 3D Mario game to have its own distinct flavor. SMG2 is just More Mario Galaxy This Time With Some Yoshi Levels.

#117 ssjr760   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   310 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 September 2020 - 07:03 PM

https://www.gematsu....nced-for-switch

Thanks for the info kind of makes you wonder if you should buy 2 in case one gets lost/broken etc

#118 Equippt  

Posted 04 September 2020 - 07:15 PM

The graphics are actually much cleaner compared to the originals, at least in M64 case, but that's only for people who haven't played it anyplace else since the N64 days. I run it pretty regular on different devices an it looks gorgeous thanks to the benefits of modern emulation, so this bundle was DOA for me without some major upgrades. And I knew when this was first rumored, that wasn't going to happen, as "N" can offer this bare bones and still sell tons, so why put in the work? It is what it is, sadly.

I wish game companies would wake up and confront this reality. All their rereleases aren't competing with the games as they were back when they first came out, they're competing with the games as they currently exist via emulators, and they're better now via emulation/mods than they've ever been. Unfortunately companies choose to ignore that fact and sue rom sites into oblivion instead, as though that somehow adds value to their own rereleases.

#119 Z-Saber   moon2S CAGiversary!   7124 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 September 2020 - 07:25 PM

Nintendo is saying 16:9 is new for Super Mario Sunshine for this release. I just put the GameCube disc of Super Mario Sunshine into my Wii and played for a bit. I was expecting the play screen to be 4:3 boxed, but it wasn't; the play screen filled my entire modern HD TV screen. Is this not considered 16:9 already? I'm sure I'm not understanding something.

It's gotta be just stretched, though. Game doesn't have 16:9 support on native hardware.

I can emulate a Gameboy game and stretch the window to fill an entire screen, but that doesn't mean it's a proper 16:9 title.

#120 segasonic128   Segasonic CAGiversary!   626 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

segasonic128

Posted 04 September 2020 - 07:27 PM

I agree, i think Nintendo has Super Mario Galaxy 2 as a stand alone release, with some extra tricks or something up the sleeve.  

in 2021 for Zelda's anniversary; we are going to get BreathOfWild2 for Switch/SwitchPro; and a whole collection of Zelda remasters in HD, most likely.    

Preorder your SM3DAS collection now; they will be in demand and out of print come March 2021.