Super Mario 3D All Stars (Physical) up for preorder

That may not be a popular opinion, but I have to agree. Very uneven and some levels — I’m looking at you, pachinko level — are almost impossible due to poor camera angles. I seem to recall hearing they had to rush the game to meet a deadline?

That Delfino Plaza music though...that tune will stick in your head for days...
I 3rd this if we’re talking about the 3D Mario games. Sunshine has way too many blue coin and boss missions.

That may not be a popular opinion, but I have to agree. Very uneven and some levels — I’m looking at you, pachinko level — are almost impossible due to poor camera angles. I seem to recall hearing they had to rush the game to meet a deadline?

That Delfino Plaza music though...that tune will stick in your head for days...
Yeah Sunshine was easily the worst mainline 3D Mario game (sales & reviews would agree). Doesn't mean it was a bad game though. At least imo.

I don't remember if the analog triggers did anything special in Sunshine, but according to the JP site the GC adapter/controller won't work with the Switch version anyway:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/avp3a/products/soft.html
I just read an article on it too.... and it confirmed my memory that the analog triggers (I think it was the R one) controlled the water pressure. Seems like there were puzzles/missions where this matters. I guess as far as just shooting water around the stick would provide some control of the pressure so you could spray near to far.

Good. People like you buying these things to flip is exactly the shit that's caused this sort of retail shenanigans Nintendo is doing. And soon the other game publishers will be doing.
You're either naive or just part of the FOMO demo nintendo targets.

Last edited by a moderator:
As these are exactly the same games with NOTHING new, not even cleaner graphics, I'm pretty sure 99% of all you have already played them before back then when the games mattered.

And yet those same people act like they never played them before

Lol
Here are the actual improvements.

Graphics;

• Super Mario 64 | Docked mode: 960 × 720 pixels, Handheld mode: 960 × 720 pixels
  • Super Mario Sunshine | Docked mode: 1920 × 1080 pixels, Handheld mode: 1280 × 720 pixels
  • Super Mario Galaxy | Docked mode: Up to 1920 x 1080 pixels, Handheld mode: Up to 1280 x 720 pixels
Specific to 64;

Video comparison showing the improvements graphically; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EntWrvOX38

You can actually see in the video that some of the animations, colors and worlds were changed.

Screenshot_2-3511.jpg

Controls;

Extras;

• Music player mode for all 3 games for each games soundtrack.

So yeah, not "nothing new". Plenty enough to justify $20 per game.

I know I’m in the minority but I would have preferred paying $60 for Super Mario 64 if they gave it the Crash/Spyro treatment.

I would say that's a personal opinion, and your entitled to it, but even for $20 per, I see little value here even with the added features.
I'm getting them, but I agree that there's essentially nothing new here. For me, simply getting some old games to play on your latest console and not look like garbage on a modern TV doesn't amount to a feature or anything new, it's just the least you can do.

Where is everyone seeing the digital version will be off the market in March? Watching the video i only saw it for the Mario 30vs30 unless i missed.

Where is everyone seeing the digital version will be off the market in March? Watching the video i only saw it for the Mario 30vs30 unless i missed.
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/09/super-mario-3d-all-stars-announced-for-switch

Even when you aren’t playing, you can enjoy the sounds that these worlds (and galaxies!) are so famous for. With three games, modern upgrades, and music-player mode, this collection is filled with fun for both new players and 3D platforming Mario masters. Super Mario 3D All-Stars will be available as a limited-run retail edition and a digital edition that is available for a limited time until the end of March 2021.

Nintendo is saying 16:9 is new for Super Mario Sunshine for this release. I just put the GameCube disc of Super Mario Sunshine into my Wii and played for a bit. I was expecting the play screen to be 4:3 boxed, but it wasn't; the play screen filled my entire modern HD TV screen. Is this not considered 16:9 already? I'm sure I'm not understanding something.

And that's fine for you to think but let's not say nothing new was added. That's simply a lie.
I mean, you could just as easily argue that content was removed, as the added characters and genuinely great new levels from Mario 64 DS aren't included in 3D All Stars.

I'm as big of a Nintendo fanboy as anyone, but this collection sucks. The original All Stars at least had an all new art style and the first chance to play Lost Levels outside of Japan. They could've used the Odyssey engine to remake each game every year and sold them at full price, easily. Mario Sunshine especially is objectively the worst- or I should say... least good- 3D Mario game, and its inclusion makes the decision to omit the brilliant Galaxy 2 sting even more. Mario Sunshine deserves a straight up remake that would fix all of its issues, like how Wind Waker HD streamlined the sailing and that unbearable triforce piece quest. I'd even take 3D Land again over og Sunshine tbh.

And the limited run decision, on the eshop as well no less, is fucked up. This is their big holiday release. There's nothing else coming. Making it artificially scarce is a big middle finger to the average switch owner.

I'll be renting it from gamefly or my library, but I'm not buying it.

The speculation is that Nintendo will do a few more things to Galaxy 2 and try to make it a value-added stand alone remade game for full price by itself.
This would be bizarre. Galaxy 2 is my favorite Mario game, but it's basically a standalone expansion pack for Galaxy 1. Remaking Galaxy 2 and not remaking Galaxy 1 makes no sense. I think this rumor is just a bunch of wishful thinking.

I genuinely believe Nintendo has this weird aversion to Galaxy 2 because it was the only time they made a straight up sequel to a Mario game aside from the original SMB2 and those casual gamer bait "New" SMB games. They want every 3D Mario game to have its own distinct flavor. SMG2 is just More Mario Galaxy This Time With Some Yoshi Levels.

The graphics are actually much cleaner compared to the originals, at least in M64 case, but that's only for people who haven't played it anyplace else since the N64 days. I run it pretty regular on different devices an it looks gorgeous thanks to the benefits of modern emulation, so this bundle was DOA for me without some major upgrades. And I knew when this was first rumored, that wasn't going to happen, as "N" can offer this bare bones and still sell tons, so why put in the work? It is what it is, sadly.
I wish game companies would wake up and confront this reality. All their rereleases aren't competing with the games as they were back when they first came out, they're competing with the games as they currently exist via emulators, and they're better now via emulation/mods than they've ever been. Unfortunately companies choose to ignore that fact and sue rom sites into oblivion instead, as though that somehow adds value to their own rereleases.

Nintendo is saying 16:9 is new for Super Mario Sunshine for this release. I just put the GameCube disc of Super Mario Sunshine into my Wii and played for a bit. I was expecting the play screen to be 4:3 boxed, but it wasn't; the play screen filled my entire modern HD TV screen. Is this not considered 16:9 already? I'm sure I'm not understanding something.
It's gotta be just stretched, though. Game doesn't have 16:9 support on native hardware.

I can emulate a Gameboy game and stretch the window to fill an entire screen, but that doesn't mean it's a proper 16:9 title.

I agree, i think Nintendo has Super Mario Galaxy 2 as a stand alone release, with some extra tricks or something up the sleeve.  

in 2021 for Zelda's anniversary; we are going to get BreathOfWild2 for Switch/SwitchPro; and a whole collection of Zelda remasters in HD, most likely.    

Preorder your SM3DAS collection now; they will be in demand and out of print come March 2021.

SuperMarioSunshine is 4:3; if your wii or wii u plays it as 16:9; your letterbox output is stretching the image.     so SMS 16:9 and HD is a great upgrade. 

walmart is 59.99 and includes an exclusive sticker set, lol.  

pretty amazing Nintendo would wait this long; after the game already leaked 2-3 months ago; to announce this title 2 weeks before release; and then say its only available until March 2021.    lol @ nintendo but yes they got my money.

I remember Nintendo doing this for the Mario Anniversary on Wii. It was limited run, and preorders were sold out almost immediately. I ended up getting mine from Newegg of all places.

it's probably better to at least secure one preorder
is exactly what they want people thinking. Personally, a soundtrack feature is not enough to get me excited for this. Also, the fact they are making the digital puts me off. Really sleazy. Not playing their mind game this time around. This crosses the line.

I'm just looking forward to playing these games with the flexibility of portable mode on a system I play pretty much every day.... and with upscaled progressive scan graphics.   I might actually use the music mode for background noise when working.

I remember Nintendo doing this for the Mario Anniversary on Wii. It was limited run, and preorders were sold out almost immediately. I ended up getting mine from Newegg of all places.
I got a copy from walmart when they reprinted it after the initial frenzy. The Mario All Stars rom on a disc for $30. Funny thinking about it now. Lol! I only got it to flip. Traded it for a sealed Metriod Prime Trilogy.

I don't know how walmart was able to undercut the MSRP set by Nintendo
mSrp: manufacturer’s SUGGESTED retail price. If Walmart wants to make less money on games to get customers then they can. As a matter of fact, they used to be pretty notorious for moving into a neighborhood and taking huge losses just to get people in the door and away from the mom & pop shops. Once the M&P shops went under, Walmart would raise their prices back to normal

And the limited run decision, on the eshop as well no less, is fucked up. This is their big holiday release. There's nothing else coming. Making it artificially scarce is a big middle finger to the average switch owner.
Amazingly enough, the item me and my family has the most interest in is the G&W set, and I'm pretty sure my chances of getting one when the time comes will be slim to none(and none has left the building). I've already told my wife and son I'll try to get us each one, but I'm not jumping through any hoops for it, so if it happens great, if not, oh well. Almost anything worth having from NoA is always limited if it's painted that way or not, and to be actually announcing something is LE for a window of time is a new low even for these guys, but nothing new to anyone who has been watching, and why I rarely support this company anymore. Way to many "NEW" games and creations across all areas of gaming(were places put in real work, sweat & tears), to be spending $60 for decades old titles that my phone plays just as well(if not better).

I wish game companies would wake up and confront this reality. All their rereleases aren't competing with the games as they were back when they first came out, they're competing with the games as they currently exist via emulators, and they're better now via emulation/mods than they've ever been. Unfortunately companies choose to ignore that fact and sue rom sites into oblivion instead, as though that somehow adds value to their own rereleases.
Yeah, "N" is easily public enemy #1 in this regard, as they have been offering bare bones like this for ages, and no one seems to care. I gave up on giving them my money during the Wii era for digital items, as I didn't want to pay for the same games again and again each new gen. I've also seen better QoL improvements and proper translations from fans, than anything I've seen from them in ages, and that's the exact reason they target the rom sites, as most fans do much better work than they do and it makes them look bad(with good reason).

I don't know how walmart was able to undercut the MSRP set by Nintendo
Walmart has been offering new "N" releases for $50 for a good long while now(in store only), and every once in awhile their online site reflects that, but it often appears to be a mistake when it does. But in store, it's still good at release, as I just bought Paper Mario for my son at release, and it was $50 in store. I keep wanting to grab the Witcher, as it still has that special bundle at retail, but I haven't had the $50 to spare in my recent trips. But fingers crossed I can grab it before that set is no longer offered, or before the prices go back to full? When Frys first opened years ago, they used to offer $10 off pretty regular for most new AAA on all systems, but they stopped that ages ago, but it did happen for years back in the day.

So hyped for Sunshine (my favorite 3D Mario). I still have a GC and Wii to play it on, but I rarely have either hooked up these days. Apparently Gamecube controller will not be supported :( I'm guessing Fludd half-trigger will be mapped R and full-trigger to ZR.

My store alone is getting 150+ copies of this. It's not going to be rare.
My GS store said they have 75 pre-orders. On Day 1. Stopped by late afternoon.

I bought several. Store credit is a powerful thing /wink.

It's limited .. to a million physical copies (guessing) .. what if 4 million want the game, but didn't know it was pre-order-able?

The above numbers are just from the folks who follow the news (Nintendo Direct, YouTube, news outlets). Word of mouth gets around, and then .. poof! gone. Just like the ACNH Limited Switch .. it's gone, gone, gone!

It's limited .. to a million physical copies (guessing) ..
I'm guessing they are purposefully limiting the physical release to push more consumers towards digital if that is where they have higher margins and don't lose out to the pre-owned re-sales. My guess is they run out of physical well before online-black-friday and people are looking at either $60 digital edition, or $200 ebay :oldman:

My GS store said they have 75 pre-orders. On Day 1. Stopped by late afternoon.

I bought several. Store credit is a powerful thing /wink.

It's limited .. to a million physical copies (guessing) .. what if 4 million want the game, but didn't know it was pre-order-able?

The above numbers are just from the folks who follow the news (Nintendo Direct, YouTube, news outlets). Word of mouth gets around, and then .. poof! gone. Just like the ACNH Limited Switch .. it's gone, gone, gone!
Obviously this is a guess but i dont think the demand is gonna be there from people who aren't real game nerds like we are. It's not like all of the sudden Super Mario Sunshine is gonna turn into ACNH in the public eye.

Obviously this is a guess but i dont think the demand is gonna be there from people who aren't real game nerds like we are. It's not like all of the sudden Super Mario Sunshine is gonna turn into ACNH in the public eye.
I don't think it'll matter. 1st party Switch games always sell. The game is currently #1 on Amazon and Best Buy in the videogame category. Assuming stock doesn't sell out initially, this is about the only Q4 1st party Switch game and it's a Mario title with 3 games. To your average customer, they see 3 Mario titles in one game. It'll do fine just like any other Switch release.

Hell, another re-release Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the most sold Switch title. Pokemon Let's Go (though a remake, not a remaster / upgrade) is the 7th. New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe is the 10th. Outside of the Switch, Super Mario 64 DS is the 10th best sold for the console. Super Smash Bros 3DS is the 8th best sold for the 3DS though it's just a port.

This game will likely surpass most of those just for the value most customers will see out of it.

EDIT: Sunshine is actually the 3rd best selling game for the Gamecube at 6+ million copies sold.

Possibly. Although aging systems are becoming very nostalgic to those that grew up with them. The guess was the number of units available for the Switch, not for fandom.

Some food for thought:

Super Mario Sunshine

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/130268/a_detailed_crossexamination_of_.php?page=8

• TOTAL WORLDWIDE SALES AS OF JUNE 2006 = 5.5 million [updated to 6.28 in the next link.]
  • Gamerankings Score: 91%
  • Nintendo Gamecube
  • Number of Players: 1
  • US Release: August 26th 2002
  • ESRB Rating: E
However,
Not to downplay Super Mario 64...

Super Mario 64 (1996, N64)

11.91 million units sold on the N64.

11.05 million units sold on the DS

[also it updates Sunshine to 6.28 million units sold.]

https://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/09/30-best-selling-super-mario-games-of-all-time-on-the-plumbers-30th-birthday/

Super Mario Galaxy (2007, Wii)

12.50 million sold.

[same article.]

https://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/09/30-best-selling-super-mario-games-of-all-time-on-the-plumbers-30th-birthday/

This doesn't even count the number of people playing these games as a 2nd hand game. 2X, 3X, 4X? There are more nerds out there than you think :wave:

Long story- but I preordered in store for the full 59.99 plus tax. Well I have GCU so it should be $47.99 plus tax... what's going to happen at release? (Looking for Turok to answer this probably lol)

mSrp: manufacturer’s SUGGESTED retail price. If Walmart wants to make less money on games to get customers then they can. As a matter of fact, they used to be pretty notorious for moving into a neighborhood and taking huge losses just to get people in the door and away from the mom & pop shops. Once the M&P shops went under, Walmart would raise their prices back to normal
It might be MSRP, but if Walmart decides to start selling Mario for 30 because they can, Nintendo is going to cut them off pretty quick. I only know of one company that publicly makes that threat, but it’s pretty clear the publishers have price controls on the retailers.

Asmodee (board game conglomerate) MAP policy.
https://www.asmodeena.com/en/catalogs/

Of course cars and MSRP is a completely different story too.

Edit: to add, you’re right about Walmart’s shady practices, I wasn’t trying to dispute that.

So you're telling me to be a shitbag like a majority of you and buy 20 copies of this game to hopefully resell for $100 each during Christmas of next year? Like limited run video games are some sort of neckbeard stock portfolio?

No thanks. Good luck with your shady flipping, champs.

bread's done
Back