Super Mario 3D All Stars (Physical) up for preorder

It might be MSRP, but if Walmart decides to start selling Mario for 30 because they can, Nintendo is going to cut them off pretty quick. I only know of one company that publicly makes that threat, but it’s pretty clear the publishers have price controls on the retailers.

Asmodee (board game conglomerate) MAP policy.
https://www.asmodeena.com/en/catalogs/

Of course cars and MSRP is a completely different story too.

Edit: to add, you’re right about Walmart’s shady practices, I wasn’t trying to dispute that.
Nintendo wouldn’t cut Walmart off for selling games lower than msrp. I think maybe you are thinking of items being sold on consignment. If Kroger started selling Coke 12 packs for $1 without permission, Coke is going to pull their product from shelves because they are being sold on consignment. But that’s not how video game sales work.

As far as MAP (minimum advertised price) goes, that just means if the retailer sells a product below MAP they cannot advertise it. That’s why sometime you’ve got to add things to your cart to see the price.

Long story- but I preordered in store for the full 59.99 plus tax. Well I have GCU so it should be $47.99 plus tax... what's going to happen at release? (Looking for Turok to answer this probably lol)
If your GCU will still be active in a few weeks, you're good. What happens with pre-orders in store is that it just deposits the money, but doesn't ring up the discount til you pickup. If you pre-order online however, it will apply the discount immediately.

So, before your gcu expires, I would pre-order anything you might want, online, even if it is for store pickup. That will lock in the discount and you still don't get charged til release. My GCU expired back in January, but I still have the new Metroid, Bravely Default 2, and Cyberpunk all coming with the discount.

Last edited by a moderator:
This pretty much says it all...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2OUVNO3ToY
You know... it makes sense. With the inevitable move to digital only, Nintendo's going to lose their advantage of manufacturing fake demand (Lets be honest, it's not a conspiracy theory, it's true- they short supply to create demand). This route is basically how they get around that for digital games- play chicken with the consumer.

It would have been nice if they included 1-4 too, they wouldn't take up that much space
This is a 3D collection ^^

1-4 are already included in NSO membership anyway. Nintendo doesn't want to cannibalize themselves.

Nice MIsato avatar btw >_>)b

If your GCU will still be active in a few weeks, you're good. What happens with pre-orders in store is that it just deposits the money, but doesn't ring up the discount til you pickup. If you pre-order online however, it will apply the discount immediately.

So, before your gcu expires, I would pre-order anything you might want, online, even if it is for store pickup. That will lock in the discount and you still don't get charged til release. My GCU expired back in January, but I still have the new Metroid, Bravely Default 2, and Cyberpunk all coming with the discount.
Exactly what I needed to know, nice! Thank you so much.

My GCU is good until 2022. Went mad on throes $7 SIM cards that gave two free years. There were skeptics who said they'd end the program beforehand so why stack so many years? 😎

Because money. People will give Nintendo money for this compilation, and then people will give Nintendo money again when they release Super Mario Galaxy 2.
Truth spoken. SM Galaxy 2 will likely be a separate enhanced $60 game, for the Switch.

"If" and when Nintendo re-releases Paper Mario:TYD, as an enhanced version, this too will fly off shelves. It's the game in the PM series that stands out as the definitive game in the franchise. The only game that actually matters. Perhaps the Origami King was made lackluster to boost future sales of TYD deluxe (double dipping with low effort).

If Nintendo charged $100 per physical copy of TYD, it would still sell out. Not to give them any ideas.. :whistle2:o

Truth spoken. SM Galaxy 2 will likely be a separate enhanced $60 game, for the Switch.

"If" and when Nintendo re-releases Paper Mario:TYD, as an enhanced version, this too will fly off shelves. It's the game in the PM series that stands out as the definitive game in the franchise. The only game that actually matters. Perhaps the Origami King was made lackluster to boost future sales of TYD deluxe (double dipping with low effort).

If Nintendo charged $100 per physical copy of TYD, it would still sell out. Not to give them any ideas.. :whistle2:o
If they are going to spend the money on updating a 3D Mario, it's for the best they pick the best one in Galaxy 2. Mario 64 obviously would see the most improvement in presentation, but Nintendo has a habit of adding new content to stand alone remakes (like with 3D World coming next year) and more Galaxy 2 levels and content would rock.

Sorry, but stuff like this is just absurd conspiracy theory nonsense.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

I still don't understand why All Stars doesn't include Galaxy 2? So dumb.
I agree. I understand they can sell it, just seems weird to include 1 game and not the sequel from the same system. They could’ve released a Mario 64 and sunshine pack and a separate galaxy pack with two games on each. Could’ve listed the older games for $40 and galaxy games for $60,and it would have looked/felt not so weird_

Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary Edition for the Wii was limited edition as well, right?  It came with the soundtrack CD.  I remember the complete collector's edition was expensive for a while after it went out of print.  Released in 2010.

This LE Mario All-Stars for Wii retailed for $30, which is kind of what I expected this one to sell for, since it's just a port of old games with no real development cost for Nintendo.

And even though the Wii version was an LE, they re-released it in 2016 as a Nintendo Selects, which drove the price of the LE back down to a reasonable amount.

Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary Edition for the Wii was limited edition as well, right? It came with the soundtrack CD. I remember the complete collector's edition was expensive for a while after it went out of print. Released in 2010.

This LE Mario All-Stars for Wii retailed for $30, which is kind of what I expected this one to sell for, since it's just a port of old games with no real development cost for Nintendo.

And even though the Wii version was an LE, they re-released it in 2016 as a Nintendo Selects, which drove the price of the LE back down to a reasonable amount.
The LE was actually reprinted after it sold out, like within a month after because I remember missing out and then seeing it in stock everywhere else. It was around the holiday season and has a high demand item. And then a bit later the standard, Selects release came out.

Nintendo posted a terrible unboxing video.

https://youtu.be/215l1mz8h4k
Wow... no manual or anything on 3DAS. And I had no idea they were making Mario themed shoes, would have been cool if it was modeled after Mario's shoes or something instead of just... generic Mario logos/pictures/colors. Regardless of how bad this vid is, it's sad to see how many people liked vs disliked the video. Don't get me wrong, Nintendo's done plenty right these past few years but this 35th Mario anniversary stuff just screams "time to milk the fans".

C'mon WM. Drop to $50!
Not likely to happen before launch. I opted to just get a preorder in at BB. If Walmart drops it to $50 online then I’ll move my preorder to them. What might be smart is just order from Walmart.com and do store delivery. So when you go pick it up and the store price is $50 you can do a return/rebuy and get the difference back. Alternately just gamble and wait for launch and see if any copies get stocked on the shelves and buy it then.

Disappointed about the manual as well. There’s something cool about picking up an older GameCube, Wii, or DS game and it feeling like a brick.

Watch the EU / JP release of 3D all stars get some sort of LE lol.
Good observation. Very possible. Nintendo of Europe is much better at making CEs and keeping a pulse on player interests than NOA. See, for example, what they did with Project Zero on Wii U.

Nintendo posted a terrible unboxing video.

https://youtu.be/215l1mz8h4k
The more time I have to think about 3DAS, the more I think this is truly the bare minimum could do to put this out. It certainly screams lazy port; and quite the opposite of what Nintendo often says about re-releasing ports and old games (see Link's Awakening, Wind Waker, and Twillight Princess). This just feels cheap by coimparison - a quick cash grab. It feels more in line with comments people made about Switch Lite being the bare minimum refresh, too (e.g., Nintendo dropping joycons and even the ability to play on TVs).

I can understand why ppl feel bummed by this. I agree it shows Nintendo just trying to cash in. I'm sure the loyalists will come out per usual to defend and deflect, but this really is a cash grab. I get it, it's business, and Nintendo will keep selling millions doing the bare minimum. It's too bad. Oh well, may be they'll try to do a half-ass makegood with Skyward Sword.

The more time I have to think about 3DAS, the more I think this is truly the bare minimum could do to put this out. It certainly screams lazy port; and quite the opposite of what Nintendo often says about re-releasing ports and old games (see Link's Awakening, Wind Waker, and Twillight Princess). This just feels cheap by coimparison - a quick cash grab. It feels more in line with comments people made about Switch Lite being the bare minimum refresh, too (e.g., Nintendo dropping joycons and even the ability to play on TVs).

I can understand why ppl feel bummed by this. I agree it shows Nintendo just trying to cash in. I'm sure the loyalists will come out per usual to defend and deflect, but this really is a cash grab. I get it, it's business, and Nintendo will keep selling millions doing the bare minimum. It's too bad. Oh well, may be they'll try to do a half-ass makegood with Skyward Sword.
The Wii Super Mario All Stars was worse. It was literally Super Mario All Stars direct ported to Wii using their SNES emulation with a book. At the time they were releasing SNES games on VC for $7.99, but they charged $30 for that with no digital option. Personally I'd rather have a texture and resolution upgrades than a book that contains stuff I've seen anyways.

The Wii Super Mario All Stars was worse. It was literally Super Mario All Stars direct ported to Wii using their SNES emulation with a book. At the time they were releasing SNES games on VC for $7.99, but they charged $30 for that with no digital option. Personally I'd rather have a texture and resolution upgrades than a book that contains stuff I've seen anyways.
Didn't the initial release (which was reprinted) also come in a slick special packaging and a soundtrack CD, along with the history book? I think that's a better deal at $30 than this set

That all said, I miss the days when Nintendo offered these sets as nice extras, like what the did with the LoZ games and OoT games on Gamecube.

It's a business, sure, but this sure is a greedy move. Even Activision did more for Crash AND charged less.

Didn't the initial release (which was reprinted) also come in a slick special packaging and a soundtrack CD, along with the history book? I think that's a better deal at $30 than this set
The initial release did, Just grabbed this pic real quick. This is what I have, the selects version I'm not sure had anything bundled with it.

[attachment=34542:maxresdefault-1.jpg]

it was $50 for a very short time at walmart
That's not going to happen again - sounds like a brief pricing error when they put it up. This is $60 until March 31.

On top of which, looks like Wal-Mart's preorder is (momentarily?) sold out.

That all said, I miss the days when Nintendo offered these sets as nice extras, like what the did with the LoZ games and OoT games on Gamecube.

It's a business, sure, but this sure is a greedy move. Even Activision did more for Crash AND charged less.
Yes, but it didn't have many tracks and some of them were things like "Coin Sound" and "Jump Sound". I think it had like one actual music track from each major Mario game. I've still got it. It is nowhere near the quality of the Zelda Symphony CD I got with one of the Zelda games (Skyward Sword maybe?). They definitely did better with the Zelda games on extras.

I still think sprucing up three great games is better than a book I'll look at once or a shoddy music CD, my only real issue is I don't think it should be $60. $40 would have been much better. And remember you do get like 170 song digital download with the game, I'm certain many of those will be sound effects but it is pretty nice.

Yes, but it didn't have many tracks and some of them were things like "Coin Sound" and "Jump Sound". I think it had like one actual music track from each major Mario game. I've still got it. It is nowhere near the quality of the Zelda Symphony CD I got with one of the Zelda games (Skyward Sword maybe?). They definitely did better with the Zelda games on extras.

I still think sprucing up three great games is better than a book I'll look at once or a shoddy music CD, my only real issue is I don't think it should be $60. $40 would have been much better. And remember you do get like 170 song digital download with the game, I'm certain many of those will be sound effects but it is pretty nice.
Absolutely agree on the $40 price tag. That would be more reasonable, but ... well, Nintendo.

Anyways, do you get the songs as download tracks? I don't remember seeing that anywhere. I thought you could just listen to them through a jukebox-like option in the game.

To anybody that thinks Nintendo is being greedy, anti-consumer, shady, etc. by releasing this collection with the content the way it is, keep in mind that you are not being forced or in any way obligated to buy it.

To anybody that thinks Nintendo is being greedy, anti-consumer, shady, etc. by releasing this collection with the content the way it is, keep in mind that you are not being forced or in any way obligated to buy it.
Well, that goes for anything and everything. No videogame maker makes you buy anything. However, that's a pointless statement, and in no way means Nintendo gets a free pass for being anti-consumer, which this definitely is. Your argument is what corporate loyalists spew out with hopes companies can brainwash the brain-dead and the no-thinkers.

Bundling is almost always a form of economic packaging that is anti-consumer, and creating imaginary scarcity, as Nintendo expressly does here, is a greedy way of forcing customers to panic-buy. Why not keep the digital versions of 3DAS for ongoing sale? Or at least inform consumers they'll be available separarely later on? All of these would be simple pro-consumer steps Nintendo is choosing not to do.

It's a shameful move by Nintendo and even those of us who enjoy its games need to call out a crappy move where we see one.

This is definitely a shitty move. This gen, NO publisher is a more greedy porter than Nintendo. While many of us may still shell out dollars to buy some of this, there is no reason to hold back in making sure Nintendo hears/knows loud and clear that it has crossed the line, or at least is getting damn near close to it.

Stop drinking the Kool-Aid. No company gives a shit about you. They exist to serve you, not the other way around.

Absolutely agree on the $40 price tag. That would be more reasonable, but ... well, Nintendo.

Anyways, do you get the songs as download tracks? I don't remember seeing that anywhere. I thought you could just listen to them through a jukebox-like option in the game.
The CD came with Skyward Sword. I don’t recall it being a deluxe edition, but it may have only come with the first print run or preorders, maybe?

That disc is fantastic, by the way. That Gerudo Valley track...wow.

The CD came with Skyward Sword. I don’t recall it being a deluxe edition, but it may have only come with the first print run or preorders, maybe?

That disc is fantastic, by the way. That Gerudo Valley track...wow.
The music disc was in all first print of the game (which was massive), so the Gold Wiimote bundle had it.

And agreed on the soundtrack. SS had one of the best OSTs in the series but rarely gets the love it deserves. I love Fi's Theme and the title theme is brilliant. The fact that it sounded familar but you could figure out why... when I leaned it was Zelda's lullaby backwards, I was like WOW.

Imagine all the OCD Switch collectors flipping out if they made a switch case that could accommodate a soundtrack CD ... you know people would find a reason to complain 😎

Disappointed about the manual as well. There’s something cool about picking up an older GameCube, Wii, or DS game and it feeling like a brick.
It would have been cool to get a manual or even just a picture book or something. That said, we haven't had manuals regularly in games for generations now. Come to think of it, I don't think any of the standard edition Nintendo released games on Switch even have a manual. So, not unexpected at all. Not sure why people defaulted to thinking it would have a manual when it's so uncommon these days outside of Limited/Special Edition, Niche, & or Indie games where they feel they have to throw something in so people will even buy them.

--rant snip--
I'd probably be on my soap box if this were digital only and limited, but it's not so it doesn't tick enough of my boxes to get that worked up over. But if it did, I'd vote with my dollars and just not buy the games same for the Super Mario All-Stars wii release I skipped. I want to play Sunshine and Galaxy as portable games. Sunshine is my second favorite 3D mario game... Odyssey is my favorite. This was an easy purchase regardless of it's limited availability. Not cool shaming people that buy this and aren't as upset as you are.

As far as limited print games go, limited run games burned me out of caring about when companies do this years ago. If anything Nintendo, while it is a bit odd a thing to do, at least is making the window to decide to get these games much larger than any other limited print game ever done.

Imagine all the OCD Switch collectors flipping out if they made a switch case that could accommodate a soundtrack CD ... you know people would find a reason to complain
Especially those that have a bee up their butt about Nintendo.

bread's done
Back