- - - - -

Game and Watch Super Mario Brothers SEMI LIVE YET

#181 ThatOneGuyWho   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6941 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

ThatOneGuyWho

Posted 15 November 2020 - 09:09 PM

mustve sold out within a few hours. By end of day, they had none left, and are still OOS. More manufactured demand due to purposefully limiting supply 

Funny you say that for a product that has no commercials, isn't advertised (other than stores willingly putting it in their ads, something they choose to do) and Nintendo has barely talked about. 

Stores also got a good amount of stock for a product that is on the lower end of Nintendo releases.

Let's not confuse Nintendo making sure they have no loss products by offering exactly what they think will sell, for artificial demand.

#182 Sk   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1048 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 15 November 2020 - 10:01 PM

You know, it always amazes me how so many people come out to defend Nintendo's practices, regardless how anti-consumer they are, or how unreasonably or impractically high the it is charging.

Decade old ports re-released on Switch at full price? Loyalist: it's just a Switch premium, what's the proble.

Limited-time digital availability? Loyalist: it's just tied to an anniversary, not about preying on FOMO or manufacturing demand.

Speaking of manufacturing demand, trickling Mario All-Star copies, amibos, or classic NES and SNES to retailers to frustrate consumers, encourage scalpers, which in turn, spur even more FOMO sales. Loyalist: it's just marketing, Nintendo isn't abusing its customers (uh huh).

And now this. A nostalgic device that probably costs Nintendo next to nothing to make, sold for just $10 less than the NES classic isn't a money grab preying on nostalgia because it's the Nintendo premium. All's fair here, folks.

Listen, I understand brand loyalty, and sure, Nintendo makes great games. But let's also call a spade a spade when we see it. Nintendo isn't above any other greedy company and this game and watch is way overpriced for what it is. Nintendo could have thrown in Mario 2 and 3, but chose to keep this to the barest minimum and the highest price it could charge for it.

Just vote with your wallet and don’t buy Nintendo stuff. Honestly buying things in a closed eco system may not be right for you is all. You know. I think companies have every right to make money anyway they want as long as they aren’t breaking laws.

Obviously if people didn’t buy Nintendo stuff their would be downward pressure on prices.

#183 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   5713 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 November 2020 - 11:50 PM

They stop selling these in March too, right?

#184 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   962 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 16 November 2020 - 01:20 AM

Walked into a target this evening and there were a bunch on the shelf. Got one for in case they ever hack the thing, though the first guy with a hacking video out says they disconnected the USB C data ports. 

The actual unit itself is pretty nicely built and does exactly what it says. The D-pad is reminiscent of a NES controller, but is actually a bit smaller. The A and B buttons are rubber and not hard plastic

#185 intelligentidiot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1090 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

intelligentidiot

Posted 16 November 2020 - 02:12 AM

They stop selling these in March too, right?

"The Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros. system (released Nov. 13) will continue to be shipped to retailers through approximately March 31, 2021, and will be available for purchase while supplies last."

#186 z3razerviper  

z3razerviper

Posted 16 November 2020 - 06:02 AM

i ordered one from bestbuy and they charged tax. who did you order it from?

Gamestop I just went into the store and purchased it and the tax was zero.....it was quite wierd...

#187 Nesmaniac   8 bit heaven CAGiversary!   1384 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Nesmaniac

Posted 16 November 2020 - 09:21 PM

Nintendo underpriced this thing from what I'm seeing they sell for. I imagine they wish they'd just priced it $79.99. Supply and demand not working with these newer systems when they are obviously making a lot of supply but can't even get them to the shelves. Basic economics price this stuff higher, at least starting off and everyone be happier.

#188 Ervgotti85   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1082 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 November 2020 - 09:25 PM

Nintendo underpriced this thing from what I'm seeing they sell for. I imagine they wish they'd just priced it $79.99. Supply and demand not working with these newer systems when they are obviously making a lot of supply but can't even get them to the shelves. Basic economics price this stuff higher, at least starting off and everyone be happier.

No way this should have been priced more than the NES Classic or the same price as the SNES Classic especially for what you are getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#189 scottman   The ORIGINAL smiley blank face. CAGiversary!   3703 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

scottman

Posted 16 November 2020 - 09:36 PM

Not underpriced for what it is, just undersupplied at launch because of all the speculative purchasing with easy free return policies. At least until we see the next big shipment and when it will come, can't even say undersupplied yet.

update: just got mine from bestbuy in the mail. Oddly it had torn sticker residue in the lower left.  Looked bad, but luckily it came off easy.  How can that even happen though? Didn't look like a bestbuy pickup sticker, just plain white with a thin black line on one portion.

With the small size and nice plastic sleeve casing, definitely makes it feel more collectible to just keep on a shelf sealed.

#190 ShadowAssassin   #TTP CAGiversary!   4847 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

ShadowAssassin

Posted 16 November 2020 - 10:51 PM

Nevermind, I figured it out.

#191 Saphoon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2035 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 16 November 2020 - 11:09 PM

Shame it doesn't look like the actual SMB Game and Watch (from 1986), or include that version of the game as a bonus extra. No Vs. version either, which, in my opinion, is the best version of SMB.

#192 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   23738 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 November 2020 - 01:53 AM

Are these actually hard to find? Ugh. Mine showed up today from Amazon, dinged up (no damage to the shipping box, I think this is a factor defect) and I was just hoping to return it and buy it somewhere instead. 

#193 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   5713 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 November 2020 - 02:10 AM

Are these actually hard to find? Ugh. Mine showed up today from Amazon, dinged up (no damage to the shipping box, I think this is a factor defect) and I was just hoping to return it and buy it somewhere instead.

They seem a little hard to find ... haven’t seen any in the wild outside of my order. But supposedly they’ll be regularly stocked through the next few months. I think it’s definitely designed as a nostalgic collectible more so than a must have Christmas gift, but I could see a lot of nostalgic parents picking it up for their kids if they don’t want to drop $300 on a Switch.

#194 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3104 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 17 November 2020 - 02:23 AM

Again, bonkers what folks will say about defending a Nintendo practice. So according to this guy, THIS is priced too cheaply? $50 for a 35 year old 8-bit game is underpriced, folks ... you heard it here.

Wow.

#195 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3104 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 17 November 2020 - 02:25 AM

Shame it doesn't look like the actual SMB Game and Watch (from 1986), or include that version of the game as a bonus extra. No Vs. version either, which, in my opinion, is the best version of SMB.

Don't worry, Nintendo will sell you ONLY those for the 38th anniversary. Just you wait.

#196 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   5713 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 November 2020 - 02:53 AM

Again, bonkers what folks will say about defending a Nintendo practice. So according to this guy, THIS is priced too cheaply? $50 for a 35 year old 8-bit game is underpriced, folks ... you heard it here.

Wow.

Walking through Target earlier today and they had some knockoff pacman handheld that’s around the same form factor for $39.99, so $50 isn’t crazy if the hardware meets typical Nintendo standards. I’m not crazy about the price, but it seems like small color screens drive the price up compared to what existed in the 80s.

#197 Bubbakja   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   306 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 November 2020 - 03:21 AM

They seem a little hard to find ... haven’t seen any in the wild outside of my order. But supposedly they’ll be regularly stocked through the next few months. I think it’s definitely designed as a nostalgic collectible more so than a must have Christmas gift, but I could see a lot of nostalgic parents picking it up for their kids if they don’t want to drop $300 on a Switch.

I went in to return the demon souls from my ps5 bundle at GameStop Saturday night and they had three sitting behind the counter on the merch display. I was never able to find a nes classic from launch day on until the re-release, so they should be a bit easier to find.

#198 walletandgromice   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1258 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

walletandgromice

Posted 17 November 2020 - 03:54 AM

Wow.

Seriously? Do you think there was zero research, new software development and new hardware to get this working? Let alone the actual cost of manufacturing, shipping, etc?

They aren't selling you a digital copy of the ROM for $50. I think your "shock" is slightly out of alignment with reality.

#199 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3388 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 17 November 2020 - 02:42 PM

Just vote with your wallet and don’t buy Nintendo stuff.

Pretty sure the complainers want the device but are too cheap to see the value in it.  So they have to complain about the device and others interested in it to talk themselves down from buying it themselves.  It's a vicious circle for these poor conflicted folks.

I only really wanted it if it got hacked.  8mb of storage though... kind of a bit weak for having any kind of decent nes collection and it still being functional as a G&W.  If I wanted to leave a portable device out with super mario bros on it... I could pop some batteries in my gbc, insert my copy of Super Mario Deluxe, and leave it on an end table or something so people could randomly play.

• Sk likes this

#200 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3104 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 17 November 2020 - 04:07 PM

Pretty sure the complainers want the device but are too cheap to see the value in it. So they have to complain about the device and others interested in it to talk themselves down from buying it themselves. It's a vicious circle for these poor conflicted folks.

I only really wanted it if it got hacked. 8mb of storage though... kind of a bit weak for having any kind of decent nes collection and it still being functional as a G&W. If I wanted to leave a portable device out with super mario bros on it... I could pop some batteries in my gbc, insert my copy of Super Mario Deluxe, and leave it on an end table or something so people could randomly play.

Nah, I admit I wanted one when I saw the video but my interest faded. This is not about being cheap. I just wish Nintendo had put more on it. As it is, it's just not worth it for me. Different strokes for different folks, of course.

I just enjoy poking the Nintendo fanboys. I like Nintendo, too (see the Nintendo boards), and have supported them since the NES days (yes, even the Wii and Wii U). But again, I'll call a spade a spade wheN I see it. I'm not favoring all these nostalgia gimmicks Nintendo has been doing. I'm sure some of this is just being sour about Nintendo's handling of Wii U, and that it never brought out a physical copy of Fatal Frame on Wii U over here. :-P

#201 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3388 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 17 November 2020 - 09:14 PM

I agree there's not enough content on the device.  BUT, I don't think it's necessary to make a bigger deal about it or poke at people who think it has plenty of content or that they are happy to throw their money at a collectible like this.  People buy a lot of dumb stuff, IMO.  I mean, figurines for goodness sake and over priced Special Editons for games so they can take those contents and put them in a box in their closet.  But if it's what they want, so be it.   It's a foolish way to spend money, but then I do have an overpriced official dragon quest slime vinyl figure from japan on my desk at home... because... why the hell not.

#202 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   4332 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted 17 November 2020 - 09:27 PM

Gaming may be a foolish way to spend money, but its one of the best hobbies to keep you busy for the price. Pre-covid, people would spend $50-100 for a family for a couple hours at a movie theater. You can take that same amount of money and buy a few games (depending on the game, of course) and have many hours of entertainment, again, depending on the specific games you buy. I use to spend thousands on my minitruck that I still have, and it was worth it to me, but it didn't add a penny to its value. In fact, I wont get none of that money back. All our hobbies are frivolous spending. Who cares how others spend their money, as long as you enjoy the product.

#203 Confucius   Corporate Shill CAGiversary!   16522 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 17 November 2020 - 10:25 PM

Gaming may be a foolish way to spend money, but its one of the best hobbies to keep you busy for the price. Pre-covid, people would spend $50-100 for a family for a couple hours at a movie theater. You can take that same amount of money and buy a few games (depending on the game, of course) and have many hours of entertainment, again, depending on the specific games you buy. I use to spend thousands on my minitruck that I still have, and it was worth it to me, but it didn't add a penny to its value. In fact, I wont get none of that money back. All our hobbies are frivolous spending. Who cares how others spend their money, as long as you enjoy the product.

incredible bang for the buck. that being said, people need to stop equating length with quality.   (that's what she said).

some of us have less time.  the fact that fire emblem takes 80 hours to complete ONE house is kind of a turn off for me.   and i fucking love FE.   I'm looking forward to playing shadow dragon again.   

and bioshock... and super mario sunshine... and mario + rabiids....THERE"S TOO MANY GAMES ARGGGGGHHH

#204 Sk   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1048 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 17 November 2020 - 10:37 PM

Good value per hour for sure. However, I just wait 2-3 month after a game comes outs to buy. Way cheaper that way. Very few games do I buy on launch. Honestly it’s for the better. Devs treat gamers like beta testers as of late. Wish we could get a finished product like back in the day.

#205 DonaldBlank   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   896 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

DonaldBlank

Posted 17 November 2020 - 10:40 PM

Imagine going on a board to bitch about unnecessary shit where people like to buy things for a hobby they enjoy.

#206 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3104 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 17 November 2020 - 11:34 PM

incredible bang for the buck. that being said, people need to stop equating length with quality.   (that's what she said).

some of us have less time.  the fact that fire emblem takes 80 hours to complete ONE house is kind of a turn off for me.   and i fucking love FE.   I'm looking forward to playing shadow dragon again.   

and bioshock... and super mario sunshine... and mario + rabiids....THERE"S TOO MANY GAMES ARGGGGGHHH

Good value per hour for sure. However, I just wait 2-3 month after a game comes outs to buy. Way cheaper that way. Very few games do I buy on launch. Honestly it’s for the better. Devs treat gamers like beta testers as of late. Wish we could get a finished product like back in the day.

Agree with everyone here.  Frankly, there are far worse vices one could have than buying video games.

If it makes you happy, then that's all that matters.

#207 Davem   Picture was the top google result for my username CAGiversary!   835 Posts   Joined 1.3 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:36 PM

After 35 years, I can say I finally beat Super Mario Bros. 8-4 was hard!  :wall:

If I wasn't working from home, this would actually be a decent shitting device. Grab it, beat a few SMB2 levels, etc. Maybe eventually we'll be able to play Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & the Blade of Light on it!  :whee:

#208 Confucius   Corporate Shill CAGiversary!   16522 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:47 PM

Maybe eventually we'll be able to play Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & the Blade of Light on it! :whee:

I just got a little emotionally erect.

#209 walletandgromice   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1258 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

walletandgromice

Posted 23 November 2020 - 12:36 AM

After 35 years, I can say I finally beat Super Mario Bros. 8-4 was hard! :wall:

If I wasn't working from home, this would actually be a decent shitting device. Grab it, beat a few SMB2 levels, etc. Maybe eventually we'll be able to play Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & the Blade of Light on it! :whee:

8-4 is brutal. When my kid and I got to the underwater passage in that castle we both yelled "oh come on!" Still haven't beaten it on game and watch ...yet.

#210 Davem   Picture was the top google result for my username CAGiversary!   835 Posts   Joined 1.3 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 12:06 AM

8-4 is brutal. When my kid and I got to the underwater passage in that castle we both yelled "oh come on!" Still haven't beaten it on game and watch ...yet.

Yep, and after reaching World 4 of Mario Bros 2, I can understand why they didn't localize it and went with Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic for the US.

As for using this as an actual "watch"/clock, I stuck a popsocket to the back of mine to have it stand up  :joystick: