Unreal Tournament III - Gen. Discussion & Info

anomynous

Banned
ut3kb7.png

Features

Unreal Tournament® 3 marks the return of the world's premiere first-person shooter to Xbox 360®. The full power of the Unreal Engine 3 is unleashed, taking graphics, gameplay, and challenge to a whole new level. Players engage in intense battles with other human players online, or against Unreal artificial intelligence that sets the industry standard. With the most powerful futuristic weapons and vehicles available, this is FPS action at its best!

• Next-gen gaming: Unparalleled graphical and physical realism from the award-winning Unreal Engine 3 technology delivers the most compelling first-person shooter experience to date, online and offline.
  • Vast arsenal of weapons: Detonate your opponent from a distance with the ever-popular Shock Rifle or blast away at close range with the Flak Cannon. Over two dozen upgraded and enhanced weapons and vehicles are provided.
  • New single player campaign: The Necris invasion has begun, and your clan was one of the first to be slaughtered. Head to the front lines and join this epic battle to defend humanity while taking your revenge.
  • New and favorite characters: Fight side-by-side with or compete against new and returning characters from the Unreal universe, all with enhanced abilities and distinct personalities.
  • Online innovations: All the award-winning online features of previous Unreal Tournament games are included, along with seamless loading of servers, improved matchmaking, cooperative online campaign play, an all-new Warfare mode, and more.
  • Exclusive Xbox 360 features: New characters, a two-player split-screen mode, and five additional maps are provided for the Xbox 360 experience.

[quote name='typeRJ']CTF you probably don't need an explanation for. But Warfare on the other hand...

WARFARE
swetooth9's comparison to onslaught is good. But if that doesn't help, think of any shooter match that involves bases, most recently Territories in Halo 3,Headquarters in Call of Duty 4 or even Gold Rush in Bad Company. But with a twist.

BASICS

• The main base is the Power Core. You must defend yours and destroy the enemy's.
  • Bases are linked to the Power Core, which provide the Power Core with a shield. You can't just run to the main base and destroy it.
  • They'll usually point you in the direction of the first base to attack, called a node (Center, Prime, Tank, Directional, etc).
  • Orbs take over nodes automatically. They're good for taking over a node and "repairing" a node.

ATTACK

• Attack a node to gain control of it.

1. --Pick up the Orb and take it to a neutral node. It automatically gains control of the node for you.
  2. --If an enemy controls a node, you have to destroy it first. Just shoot it. Now it's neutral.
  3. --If you don't have an Orb, you'll have to wait for the node to rebuild. Use the ALT fire on the Link Gun to speed the process.

• Keep taking over nodes. You need to create a link from your Power Core to the enemy's Core through the connecting nodes.
  • Once you take over the node protecting the enemy's core, the shield will be disabled.
  • Shoot the Core until it gets to 0 to destroy it. Rockets take the most per shot, but obviously are a little slow. Link Gun ALT fire is ok, but I prefer Flak Gun ALT fire.

DEFEND

• Stop Orb carriers from taking over your nodes.
  • When you're near an Orb dropped by an enemy, try to prevent them from taking it back by letting the Orb timer run out.
  • If you're in a bind, go up to the Orb and hold X (or "Use/Action" button) to be a martyr and destroy the Orb
  • Keep an eye out on your nodes. Take an Orb with you just in case it's about to fall.

EXTRA

• In some stages, there's random nodes that aren't necessary to disable the enemy's Core. These nodes are Tank nodes, East (or any direction) nodes, etc. Sometimes taking over the East node and a combination of nodes will not only disable the shield, it'll raise the enemy's Core in the air.
  • They recommend doing this because you can shoot the Core from far distances with a Turret. Very effective if you can pull it off.

Not sure if all that makes sense. But if you need more info, the Single Player Campaign, specifically Chapter I, explains each mode as you encounter them. It's not the greatest explanation in the world, but it does help to hear and see an example of what you have to do.[/quote]

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/758/758367p1.html

Im gonna be buying the 1st day, if I had a choice between Halo 3 or UT 3 as it's called now, I'd take UT 3.

But WTF is up with the single player with a story?

All my money are belong to Epic

[quote name=' Team Xbox']We were not supposed to be there, you are not supposed to be reading this here, but we can’t help being in the wrong place at the right time. Why do we keep covering Unreal Tournament 2007, a game that has only been announced for PC and PS3? If we tell you, we’d have to kill you with our own chainsaw—please don’t ask and just trust us. There is a reason why we keep sneaking into every behind-closed-door preview of UT2007, and it’s not just a fanboy dream that the game will come to Xbox 360.

We have covered UT2007 in the past and if you haven’t played previous installments of the series or if this is the fist time you read about it, check out our first look at the game right here.

At this year’s E3, we saw for the first time the game in playable form—although no one got to play the game. Lead Designer Steve Polge guided us through the first public demonstration of the new Warfare mode, formerly known as “Conquest”. (for those who have been following Epic Games’ progress over the last few years, “Unreal Warfare” was the codename for what later became Gears of War).

Warfare is a bit of a mix of UT2004’s Assault mode (which won’t make it into UT2007) and Onslaught. In this new game mode, there are a set of objectives to complete, but instead of having one team attacking and the other defending, each team has, such as in Star Wars Battlefront, its own set objectives and once in a while these are complementary. The next objective each team is assigned depends on the success of achieving the previous objective, with timing also playing a fundamental role. This adds a campaign feel to the traditional multiplayer deathmatch mode, since the match will be different each time, depending on which objectives are accomplished and by whom.

Electric superstorms.

All these mechanics make Warfare similar to Assault, so what makes this new game mode similar to Onslaught? First, levels will be huge—and by huge, I mean that what in other games is simply a nice background, in UT2007 is a place you can actually reach. For that reason, Epic had to create a way for players to travel over these long distances when there’s no vehicle around, and that’s how Back to the Future 2 will leave its mark on this game with the inclusion of a hovercraft similar to the one Marty McFly rode in the movie. The only letdown is that, while using the hovercraft, you cannot use any weapon at all, and thus become somewhat of a moving target to your enemies.

The second reason why Warfare is similar to Onslaught is that vehicles play a major role—more than just a transportation medium, they become a powerful weapon in your arsenal. So, in addition to infantry combat, mastering vehicular combat is necessary to win a game in Warfare.

In the demo, we got to see a human team playing against the Necris, the undead race of the Unreal universe (which hasn’t appeared in the UT series since the first game in 1999).

The human team had at their disposal vehicles made by the Axon Research Corp., which are upgraded versions of the vehicles we saw in UT2004. The upgrade is more than aesthetic, since every vehicle now includes some new ability, such as the Scorpion’s rocket boosters and a self-destruct mode.

But what caught everyone’s attention were the other team’s vehicles, which debuted in playable form for the first time at E3. The Necris team had its own set of vehicles, which were not just the same human vehicles with different decals, but truly unique on their own.

The most impressive was the Necris Darkwalker, which looked a lot like Spielberg’s War of the Worlds tripods (no, Spielberg didn’t copy Half-Life 2’s Striders, which in turn could be considered a homage to the Tripods described in H.G. Wells’ The War of the Worlds book from 1898). Although the Necris Darkwalker is a mechanical war machine, the talented people at Epic Games have been able to give it an organic look by providing them with flexible legs that end in a claw-like shape. The appendages make the Darkwalker look like a mix of a scorpion and a spider.

The Darkwalker.

This enormous three-legged weapon has a powerful laser that can vanquish everything within a certain area, and if you happen to encounter the laser on your way, the chances are good you’ll end up a pile of white dust.

To show all these new toys and the Warfare mode, Epic prepared a sub-zero ice level for E3 called “Onyx Coast,” which we were promised will be twice as large in the final game. The demo ran on a Dual SLI Dell XPS computer. During the match, the demonstrator played for the human team, and as an objective, he had to take an orb from one power node to another where it would activate the new node. In order to grab the orb, the player first had to shoot out each floating panel covering the energy ball. Once he grabbed it, the whole experience felt like a mix of Capture the Flag and capturing a power node in Onslaught, while the fact that you have to carry an energy ball felt a lot like Bombing Run (which, unfortunately, won’t be included in UT2007.

There were times when it was hard to follow what was going on in the game, because we were astonished by the visuals, which we must say were almost on par with Gears of War and Mass Effect. Although a multiplayer game will never look as good as a campaign-focused game, the Unreal Engine 3 technology proved it can handle many things on screen at once without sacrificing quality.

Because of the high-end physics (which were not hardware accelerated), the high-dynamic range lighting and the detailed geometry on the screen, it often felt like we were watching a CGI-animated series. It wasn’t until we saw the demo from a first-person perspective that we realized it was actually a game.

Unfortunately, the demo was short, leaving many unanswered questions and ending up more like a teaser of what to expect for the final game.

Epic won’t reveal the release date of the game and simply responded to our inquiry with the now-traditional “when it’s done”, although representatives let slip that, unlike sport video games, the “2007” tag might indeed be the same year the game will ship.

And then we left the room quickly, hoping no one would find out we were TeamXbox. [/quote]

Screens:
unreal-tournament-2007-tba-20070125113304397-000.jpg

unreal2007-1.jpg

unreal-tournament-2007-20050519001134507.jpg

Trailers:
http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?fs=1&id=2469
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4u_48u_jpA[/media]

UPDATE 3/11/07:

New video interview:
http://interviews.teamxbox.com/xbox/1917/Unreal-Tournament-3-Mike-Capps-Video-Interview/p1/

UPDATE 4/17/08:

New info released:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/867/867258p1.html

" A release date hasn't yet been announced, but you can be sure that the extra time is going to good use. The Xbox 360 release will contain five new exclusive maps those other platforms didn't get, two new characters and will include two player splitscreen action. All that and it also sports all of the downloadable content that Epic has created for the PS3 and PC."

UPDATE 4/19/08:

http://n4g.com/xbox360/NewsCom-136860.aspx?CT=1#Comments

[quote name='N4G']Talking to OXM at the Midway Gamers Day in Las Vegas, Epic president Mark Rein confirmed that the best mods will be available to players of the Xbox 360 version of Unreal Tournament 3, although details are still being worked out. "We know some of these great mods are going to play a role on Xbox 360, even if we have to get some people and bring them over ourselves," he said. "We'll figure it out." [/quote]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KaneRobot']I'll buy it for the PC.[/quote]
Yea, cause what else will you play on your 2000 dollar rig?

I am definitely going to pick this up. Oh man is it going to be good! Well, at least I hope . . .

Later,

Alex

P.S. I wonder when exactly it will be released in the 2nd half of 2007?

[quote name='help1']Yea, cause what else will you play on your 2000 dollar rig?[/QUOTE]

Why don't you go look at the release schedule before you start hating on the PC. It probably has more good games scheduled to come out for it this year than any platform. Games For Windows didn't even include UT in their top ten list because of how many good games are coming out. Last year may have sucked, but the PC is coming back. (Probably will end up getting both versions of the game, but the 360 will come before the PC version as I want to get a deal on that one).

[quote name='help1']Yea, cause what else will you play on your 2000 dollar rig?[/QUOTE]

Good luck trying to play a twitch shooter with your controller.

Oh, I'm sorry. I guess your business is probably "pwning noobs," when you're not busy "being leet," Mr. Fool Killa.

Christ, find something else to do with your day. You've obviously got too much time on your hands as it is.

[quote name='Skexis']Good luck trying to play a twitch shooter with your controller.

Oh, I'm sorry. I guess your business is probably "pwning noobs," when you're not busy "being leet," Mr. Fool Killa.

Christ, find something else to do with your day. You've obviously got too much time on your hands as it is.[/quote]
These damn mid terms are killing me! I have too much time!

Any who, I have a gaming rig myself, and I have been dissappointed with PC gaming, so I speak from experience.

Also, it is possible to use keyboard and mouse on consoles now. Not sure if its out for teh 360 yet, but it will be.

[quote name='Skexis']Good luck trying to play a twitch shooter with your controller.

Christ, find something else to do with your day. You've obviously got too much time on your hands as it is.[/quote]
aw how cute

pc gaming is the madz n00b, 3 inch monitor, terrible mouse, and stupid AIM notifications.

console gaming ftw

good to hear i'll be able to play this since it's coming to 360. Can't wait for it!

And lets please not start a PC vs Console discussion. I am not a PC gamer and I cannot stand it, but different strokes for different folks and all.

You knew it was going to be on 360, This was just like Assassins creed, where the dev was hush about it for a while and beat around the bush. Xbox live 2.0 and UT3 is going to own faces.

I've also been saying for months that this would come to the 360. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.
What I want to know is why Epic is wasting time with a single player storyline. I would rather have them spend time making more multiplayer maps. I don't even play 2004 online (I've only played the skirmish), but I've never played the single player.
I really can't wait for this game. I'm getting it for either the PC or 360, depending on if I get a new PC between now and when it comes out. I want all the extra maps the modders will make, but I love Xbox Live. I guess I have a long time to think about it.

[quote name='help1']Yea, cause what else will you play on your 2000 dollar rig?[/quote]
Dude STFU. Looking at your avatar I'm assuming you are some sort of Halo freak, therefore you can't rip on anyone for anything. Halo sucks my ass and licks my balls.

Shit from Valve's ass >>>>>>>>>>>>>> anything from Bungie

Oh yeah UT 3 coming to 360 is indeed great news as I'm about 99% sure my current PC won't be able to run it.

[quote name='jer7583']what's xbox live 2.0?[/QUOTE]

2.0 would be Xbox 360's live experience compared to Xbox's xbox live. Unreal Championship for Xbox was a fun game and bringing the series to 360 and taking advantage of the new live features will be a unstoppable experience

[quote name='Michaellvortega']2.0 would be Xbox 360's live experience compared to Xbox's xbox live. Unreal Championship for Xbox was a fun game and bringing the series to 360 and taking advantage of the new live features will be a unstoppable experience[/QUOTE]

Live 2.0 was on Xbox , part of the upgrade was the ability to see what game your friends were playing . One of the 1st games to utilize it's other features was PGR2 .

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Who cares. 48 hours after the game comes out, it will be filled with glitching/cheating assholes who are way "better" than anyone else.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately , I think he's right .:cry:

About the cheating assholes .

The game's gonna fuckin' rule .

[quote name='cgarb84']Dude STFU. Looking at your avatar I'm assuming you are some sort of Halo freak, therefore you can't rip on anyone for anything. Halo sucks my ass and licks my balls.

Shit from Valve's ass >>>>>>>>>>>>>> anything from Bungie

Oh yeah UT 3 coming to 360 is indeed great news as I'm about 99% sure my current PC won't be able to run it.[/quote]

Says the guy who plays madden 2007 and WWE Smackdown...

Please, just shut up, you probably thought steam was the best thing since wrestling. OH wait a minute, you didn't because you don't realize that wrestling is DEAD.

Unreal Tournament/Championship games = best online multiplayer experiences around (aside from CS and TF). This game will fucking rule all, and, unless the Halo 3 multiplayer is way ahead of the competition like Bungie guys say it is, then this will be my #1 game.

[quote name='help1']Says the guy who plays madden 2007 and WWE Smackdown...

Please, just shut up, you probably thought steam was the best thing since wrestling. OH wait a minute, you didn't because you don't realize that wrestling is DEAD.[/quote]

1. Steam is a great service and gets a bad wrap from people

2. I don't watch wrestling anymore but I still enjoy the games

3. Madden 07 isn't perfect but the Superstar mode is awesome and addicting

I fucking hate people that rip on PC gaming just because it costs too much. If you can't afford to keep up with the technology or don't wish too then thats fine, just shut up and play Halo. There is no reason for you to hijack a thread with your anti-PC gaming bullshit. Now go do what you have been doing for the past month and sit there masturbating to the thought of buying crackdown just to get the Halo 3 beta.

[quote name='cgarb84']I fucking hate people that rip on PC gaming just because it costs too much.[/quote]This is CheapAssGamer, you know. Pricing complaints should be expected. :)

[quote name='cgarb84']1. Steam is a great service and gets a bad wrap from people

2. I don't watch wrestling anymore but I still enjoy the games

3. Madden 07 isn't perfect but the Superstar mode is awesome and addicting

I fucking hate people that rip on PC gaming just because it costs too much. If you can't afford to keep up with the technology or don't wish too then thats fine, just shut up and play Halo. There is no reason for you to hijack a thread with your anti-PC gaming bullshit. Now go do what you have been doing for the past month and sit there masturbating to the thought of buying crackdown just to get the Halo 3 beta.[/quote]

Lets agree to disagree.

One more thing, STEAM used to blow nuts, maybe they fixed it up, but it seems liek a resource hog and the friends list had not worked for the 3 or 4 years its been on CS 1.6, CS CZ and CS:S (which is my favorite of the three, weird, I know.)

I'll keep saying it:

MS, PLEASE start supporting Mouse/KB on the 360! Do that an I WILL be getting this game (might have to check out UC too).

[quote name='help1']Lets agree to disagree.

One more thing, STEAM used to blow nuts, maybe they fixed it up, but it seems liek a resource hog and the friends list had not worked for the 3 or 4 years its been on CS 1.6, CS CZ and CS:S (which is my favorite of the three, weird, I know.)[/quote]

Ok lets agree to disagree. I think we can both agree that UT 3 is going to be awesome for whatever system you buy it for.

Day 1 purchase, and now I have no reason to ever upgrade my PC.

Yay!!!

Yeah, this sort of news pushes my next PC purchase back by another year (Holiday 2008, as opposed to '07?).

Now about possibly being on the short end of the 'balancing' stick for Live Anywhere games, however....

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']This is CheapAssGamer, you know. Pricing complaints should be expected. :)[/quote]

People don't need to rip on expensive stuff just to do it though. Do people rip on Guitar Hero because it costs $80? Probably not because most people think its an awesome game (me included). Most of the people who rip on PC gaming while using the "it costs too much" reason don't really like PC gaming or have never given it a real chance.

Besides, CAG isn't about ripping on expensive shit, its about finding good money-saving deals on expensive shit.

[quote name='Punk_Raven']Keyboard and mouse support for the 360 would render the PC version completely useless to me.[/QUOTE]

I still think Devs should start supporting this since FPS players seem to like the option. I'm guessing it's against Microsoft's policies.

Oh, I see. Microsoft is trying to go for the whole " in your livingroom " feel and experience, and a keyboard just doens't fit in that area.

bread's done
Back