Unreal Tournament III - Gen. Discussion & Info

I'll be buying it for PC. Nerd points and easy Live do not at all make up for the lack of UnrealEd 3 and the ability to import my own static meshes and textures.

Also, when the hell did this become Unreal Tournament 3?

IT'S THE FOURTH GAME IN THE SERIES.

(Unreal Tournament, UT2K3, UT2K4)

[quote name='Logain8955']I'll be buying it for PC. Nerd points and easy Live do not at all make up for the lack of UnrealEd 3 and the ability to import my own static meshes and textures.

Also, when the hell did this become Unreal Tournament 3?

IT'S THE FOURTH GAME IN THE SERIES.

(Unreal Tournament, UT2K3, UT2K4)[/QUOTE]

They are ignoring 2K3 since they did not develop that game themselves. Digital Extreme did it.

I will probably get it for the PC and 360 (I will probably get the 360 version first and then the PC version on black friday). The thought of 64 player UT has me really hyped (talking about the PC version). This has been my most anticipated game for about a year or so now and I really can't wait for it to finally be released.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']They are ignoring 2K3 since they did not develop that game themselves. Digital Extreme did it.
[/QUOTE]

That makes sense. I still prefer the year numbering and the slight spoof of sports games.

But yeah, I'm really hyped for this game. I've been dying to get my hands on UnrealEd 3 since playing GoW.

After watching that video, I pray to God that MS starts supporting keyboard and mouse for FPSs; I can't see the gameplay being that smooth with the analog sticks.

[quote name='Logg']UT3 > Halo 3

Thats what I think.[/quote]
I agree 100%. UT multiplayer is way better then Halo multiplayer (though Halo does have better single player, and Halo co-op is nice). I still play Unreal Tournament 2004 bot matches on and off to this day, and I got UT2k4 the day it came out. I haven't touched either of the Halo games in a long time.

Epic claims that the game will look better graphically than Gears of War

The latest issue of OXM features a six-page article on Unreal Tournament 3. More important, the preview contains the first details regarding the Xbox 360 version of the game, which both the developers and the magazine editors confirmed it is looking in its current state better than Gears of War.

The reason for that is Epic Games has improved the Unreal Engine 3 for Xbox 360 since they shipped Gears of War six months ago.

In the preview, Epic Games’ Steven Polge, the lead designer of Unreal Tournament 3, confirms that the Xbox 360 version of the game will support four-player co-op and two-player split-screen in the single-player campaign, which will let you take different paths depending on the decisions you take.

The preview also revealed that Unreal Tournament 3 will feature 18 vehicles and 5 types of turrets. Epic also promises “zero-time to spectacle” thanks to the hoverboard (two of them being linked to a Manta in the picture below).

Regarding the controls, Polge revealed that they are so good that half the people who work on the game prefer to play the Xbox 360 version. Furthermore, the guy responsible for the controls has stepped in playtest sessions, where everyone was on keyboards, and with a controller he kicked everyone’s butt.

Now that Epic is known among Xbox gamers for Gears or War rather than its emblematic Unreal franchise, the comparison between the two series is inevitable.

Jerry O’Flaherty, the art director for both games, says that “Gears if a more confined game. UT is about big, huge distances. The speed of UT is so quick; it’s not a walking environment, it’s a running or flying environment.”

Finally, Polge chipped into the discussion saying: “It’s Gears on crack. Cover is for wimps!”

We encourage you to go and get the July issue of OXM to read this UT3 preview, which shows for the first time the Necris Scavenger, new levels and new screenshots of the game with plenty of gore and a disturbing headshot.
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/13602/Epic-UT3-is-Gears-on-Crack-Cover-is-for-Wimps/

I usually suck at these fast paced FPS's. Wonder if we'll get a demo so I can see just how bad I suck.

Damn if that date sticks August and Sept. are going to be chock full of good games. It also means that I will be buying it for the 360 and will pick it up later for the PC during BF since I probably won't have a PC capable of running it before Christmas.

[quote name='ryanbph']So within a month period we will be getting Bioshock, UC, and halo 3...son of a bitch[/QUOTE]

This is going to take some serious dedication.

I may just go for Halo first, then pick up UC3 for christmas.

[quote name='ryanbph']So within a month period we will be getting Bioshock, UC, and halo 3...son of a bitch[/QUOTE]

Dont forget Blue Dragon Aug 28th(or some day late august) and GTA IV coming in october(which is close to the late sept Halo 3).

I am really really hyped to hear about better engine and 4 player campaign co-op. UT3 will be a near launch pick up for me.

Awesome on release date, will hopefull get this for my birthday on the 5th then

Then Halo on 9/25 & CoD4 in November

updating thread title, and Epic is working on mod support right now

Epic is also taking a break on developing the 360 version :bomb:

So release date is unknown right now

A pretty good looking faceplate is available as a free bonus when preordering at GS/EB
B200284Ab.jpg

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=B200284A

[quote name='LinkinPrime']A pretty good looking faceplate is available as a free bonus when preordering at GS/EB
B200284Ab.jpg

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=B200284A[/QUOTE]

I'll temporarily shift my $5 over until I get my faceplate .

Not to sound like one of those 'we finally have something 360 doesn't have PS3 owners' but the game plays and feels really good even on an inferior controller without rumble .
If you like Unreal in any capacity , you'll love Unreal Tournament 3 .

[quote name='Richlough']I'll temporarily shift my $5 over until I get my faceplate .

Not to sound like one of those 'we finally have something 360 doesn't have PS3 owners' but the game plays and feels really good even on an inferior controller without rumble .
If you like Unreal in any capacity , you'll love Unreal Tournament 3 .[/quote]

Those words made me shout "YES YES YES!"

I loved UT (the original) and UT 2k3 and never played the others, except the shitty DC and PS2 versions which were garbage when compared to their PC counterparts. I have been wanting this game for such a long time. Can never get bored of this series.

Any one up for some late night INSTAGIB matches? I KNOW YOU WANT IT, BITCHES.

[quote name='porieux']Is this still coming out or what?[/quote]

There was an article on it on Kotaku saying its still coming out, but with Halo 3, CoD 4 and GTA, im not sure I even need it.

Cannot fucking wait for this game.

Gamestop has the release listed as June 6th. I don't know if that's true or not, but the title said "still no release date" so I just thought I'd share.

Damn. PS3 version, or 360 version?

My 360 boots me from live a lot, while my PS3 lets me stay online.. But then again achievements / xbox live are a big plus.. Mods for the PS3 version add a lot to it.. bah

Then again, it's not like we will be seeing another Red Orchestra or Alien Swarm with this generation of UT anytime soon. There aren't a lot of promising "big shot" mods on the horizon yet.

Get it for PS3, someone will just remake all these "exclusive" characters and maps using mods.

I don't have a PS3 so I guess I'll be getting the gimped closed-system xbox360 version. :(

[quote name='mrelusive']Then again, it's not like we will be seeing another Red Orchestra or Alien Swarm with this generation of UT anytime soon. There aren't a lot of promising "big shot" mods on the horizon yet.[/QUOTE]

Considering the absolutely horrible reception this got on the PC, I doubt we will ever see anything worthwhile.

Even though I have a PC that can more than run the game, and I usually get my FPS through that, I think I'll just go with the 360 version of UT 3, as it seems Epic put more effort into this one than they did with the PC one.

That, and maybe there will be more than 400 people online playing at a time. And there won't be a ton of aimbots and hacks.

UT 3 for PC is a good concept, and it's a fun game, but the execution was just shit. I wouldn't be shocked if the 360 version outsells the PC one 3 to 1 and Epic completely pulls out of PC development.

Mouse and Keyboard support would be nice for the 360. I hope to hear it will be supported... (but I'm not ruling out that it never will be)

So ... uh ... are there even mods on the PS3 to worry about, when comparing versions? Last I checked (which was two months ago, I admit) the PS3 mods were pretty minimal/barebones. Anyone keep closer track on this?

[quote name='trq']So ... uh ... are there even mods on the PS3 to worry about, when comparing versions? Last I checked (which was two months ago, I admit) the PS3 mods were pretty minimal/barebones. Anyone keep closer track on this?[/QUOTE]

There's a bunch of character mods, good maps, and a mod that makes the game 2D sidescroller online, with new 2d maps and everything

[quote name='anomynous'] a mod that makes the game 2D sidescroller online, with new 2d maps and everything[/QUOTE]
Haha, that one looks elite... smash bros. with huge maps.

[quote name='mrelusive']New info from IGN.:
  • Two player splitscreen
  • Includes 5 maps that weren't released on PS3 or PC
  • Two extra characters
  • Bonus Packs that were released on other platforms (they were vague about this one)
They also have a new trailer.
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/867/867258p1.html

EDIT: Still no word on mods.[/quote]

I wasn't even thinking about getting this game at all untill I saw the split screen video...now I might just have to buy it.

bread's done
Back