Unreal Tournament III - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']I'm really curious about that as well. Some of the achievements note that they must be obtained in a ranked match, while other have no mention of a ranked match at all...

Well, that's the thing, a lot of the time, I can't get into any games. Either that, or the few games I can get into are very, very laggy.[/quote]

really? everytime i search for games, the list fills up my screen..

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']I'm amazed at how few people are playing this. I expected hundreds of games, considering the popularity of the past installments. Where is everybody?![/quote]

Yeah, I hosted a TDM Player Match to play with Khondor and not until the last 2 minutes did we finally get several randoms joined in.

[quote name='BackInBlack']Still waiting for my copy from amazon.[/quote]
[quote name='cubs2321']Good to know that I'm not the only one.[/quote]
I'll play with you guys when you get your copies in :)

The thing I find weak about this game, which COD4 did right, is the missing party system and ability to invite friends to a ranked match. Why are so many games missing this? Also, the single player is lacking any kind of tutorial for the different vehicles and anything more than a one-liner on non-standard game types (i.e. not DM, TDM, and CTF). We played a Vehicle CTF match this afternoon and I couldn't get the fucking planes to fly more than 2 feet off the ground no matter what buttons I pressed or direction I looked. Then, I see the dumbots on our team do something really cool by having one capture the flag and then link to another one flying a vehicle, which they then proceeded to take off high in the air but subsequently got shot down. It looked like a really cool strategy but who the hell knows how they did it. Oh yeah, and I RTFM.

Overall, the game has been enjoyable so far though and I'm sure with more practice/experience the non-DM/TDM/CTF game types will become less frustrating.

FYI, the achievements in this game for the campaign aren't very smart so you're just required to beat the last match of a chapter to get the credit. I joined halfway through the last bot match and when we won it I received 120 points for beating the campaign, beating the campaign on expert and beating the campaign in coop. The only problem is you can't see what difficulty the game is set on in the server browser.

Here's the names for the final map in each act/chapter:

Act 1 - Tutorial, not sure of the exact name
Act 2 - Torlan(?)
Act 3 - Gateway
Act 4 - Deimos
Act 5 - Sentinel

All of them were easy to find except for the second one, I jumped into a Torlan game and it was a never ending non-DM, territory-ish game type so I'm not sure if that was it.

[quote name='Mojimbo']FYI, the achievements in this game for the campaign aren't very smart so you're just required to beat the last match of a chapter to get the credit. I joined halfway through the last bot match and when we won it I received 120 points for beating the campaign, beating the campaign on expert and beating the campaign in coop. The only problem is you can't see what difficulty the game is set on in the server browser.

Here's the names for the final map in each act/chapter:

Act 1 - Tutorial, not sure of the exact name
Act 2 - Torlan(?)
Act 3 - Gateway
Act 4 - Deimos
Act 5 - Sentinel

All of them were easy to find except for the second one, I jumped into a Torlan game and it was a never ending non-DM, territory-ish game type so I'm not sure if that was it.[/quote]

Wait...so the entire campaign is unlocked from the start? How do you get to the last match in a chapter before completing the matches before it? I thought they unlocked one by one?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Mojimbo']Look for coop online matches, there will usually be 15-30 and it'll tell you the name of the map.[/quote]

I didn't even know there was co-op :whistle2:(

Thanks. I'll definitely check this out. Campaign mode sucks, I just want the achievements.

Anyone know off the top of their head which maps have the Paladin? Trying to get the "Jack of all Trades" achievement, and the Paladin is the last vehicle I need to kill someone with.

Welp, I returned my copy and requested a PS3 copy from Goozex. The PS3 controller just fits UT3 better for it's twitch-shooting nature, and it doesn't have the god damn lag or team-color bug or people calling you $$$$$$s every ten seconds that the 360 version has.

And you guys were right, there were less than 100 people playing it on the PS3 at midnight Pacific the other day. It's a god damn shame, too, because UT3 really kicks ass. Whatever, if people stop playing completely, I'll always have bots. UT bots are cool.

Nightshade is officially my favorite vehicle in this game. I don't always win or get the highest score, but that vehicle is a fucking blast. I'm amazed at how few people even know what it is. I love stealthily sabotaging the shit out of the enemy base while they all run around trying to figure out where the fuck I am. It's hilarious when I'm just sitting in one spot and they just crash into me and fall off their hoverboards and have absolutely no idea what they hit. Also, planting the EMP Mine right under an enemy Darkwalker: Priceless. They all gather around the thing trying to figure out whats wrong with it.

That beats ranking #1 any day.

[quote name='Paco']Man I wish there was cross platform play on this.[/quote]

Indeed.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Nightshade is officially my favorite vehicle in this game. I don't always win or get the highest score, but that vehicle is a fucking blast. I'm amazed at how few people even know what it is. I love stealthily sabotaging the shit out of the enemy base while they all run around trying to figure out where the fuck I am. It's hilarious when I'm just sitting in one spot and they just crash into me and fall off their hoverboards and have absolutely no idea what they hit. Also, planting the EMP Mine right under an enemy Darkwalker: Priceless. They all gather around the thing trying to figure out whats wrong with it.

That beats ranking #1 any day.

Indeed.[/quote]

You sneaky bastard. :applause: though one of my favorite things about this game is making a server, enabling keyboard and mouse and sniping the hell out of everybody. Oh god the laughter that is had.

And if there was cross platform multiplayer this would be one of the most epic fights ever.

[quote name='Paco']You sneaky bastard. :applause: though one of my favorite things about this game is making a server, enabling keyboard and mouse and sniping the hell out of everybody. Oh god the laughter that is had.

And if there was cross platform multiplayer this would be one of the most epic fights ever.[/quote]

I'm so glad I don't have to deal with mouse and keyboard snipers. That would drive me insane :bomb: Some people are just too damn good at sniping...

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']I'm so glad I don't have to deal with mouse and keyboard snipers. That would drive me insane :bomb: Some people are just too damn good at sniping...[/quote]

Things were going my way. Then some wiseass joined the game who was a better sniper then me and I had to stop sniping all together. :bomb:

I'm starting to see more and more people playing this game everyday, good sign. Its not bad, its a nice port of the UT series to consoles.

I really hope they do some kind of update on this damn thing.
Not being able to go in as a party is a real PITA.
Too many games have this same problem (Im looking at you Battlefield: BC)

you guys wanna get some CAG games/nights goin? i'm kinda tired of playing with random people who don't want to strategize in team games like CTF and warfare...it's not as fun without communication in team games except team dm

add me if you wanna play!

[quote name='swetooth9']you guys wanna get some CAG games/nights goin? i'm kinda tired of playing with random people who don't want to strategize in team games like CTF and warfare...it's not as fun without communication in team games except team dm[/quote]

Agreed. I sat at our base with the blue flag for a good ten minutes waiting for my dumbfuck teammates to go kill the guy with the red flag. It never happened.

I'd love to play an all CAG game. Although, I'd like to do something other than deathmatch. I'm itching to torture you guys with my silly Nightshade antics.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Agreed. I sat at our base with the blue flag for a good ten minutes waiting for my dumbfuck teammates to go kill the guy with the red flag. It never happened.

I'd love to play an all CAG game. Although, I'd like to do something other than deathmatch. I'm itching to torture you guys with my silly Nightshade antics.[/quote]

added you to friends list

anyone else wanna play with us 2 cags?

I couldn't resist I have this on ps3 so I rented the 360 one to compare it. I'll be playing later tonight anyone feel free to add me. Gametag = jman6192 I noticed sometimes I can't really turn with the right stick maybe it is just my stick. Also the character starts moving on its own.

[quote name='jman619']I couldn't resist I have this on ps3 so I rented the 360 one to compare it. I'll be playing later tonight anyone feel free to add me. Gametag = jman6192 I noticed sometimes I can't really turn with the right stick maybe it is just my stick. Also the character starts moving on its own.[/quote]

Well, you can adjust your turn and motion sensitivity in the Options. However, your last sentence is an indication of a poor network connection.

How are the network connections. I played the PS3 version online and noticed some significant delay between a gun firing and it actually hitting on just about all the games I played in.

[quote name='chasemurata']Well, you can adjust your turn and motion sensitivity in the Options. However, your last sentence is an indication of a poor network connection.[/quote]

Some servers it did it on some it didn't. It only did it maybe once or twice.

[quote name='Man of Ice']How are the network connections. I played the PS3 version online and noticed some significant delay between a gun firing and it actually hitting on just about all the games I played in.[/quote]

Probably on a custom server. The official ones have no lag.

I finally got my Amazon Dotd copy and got a chance to play a little last night. I was extremely satisfied with the hour I put into instant action. I loved being able to pick up the basics of the game without having to invest time in the campaign or get my ass kicked by people who had already been playing for a week on Live.

I forgot how much I missed having an option to play against bots. When you've had a rough/long day at work and don't want to get stressed out playing a game nothing beats pounding on some bots.

[quote name='Paco']Probably on a custom server. The official ones have no lag.[/quote]

how do you tell which ones are the "official" ones?

[quote name='jkanownik']
I forgot how much I missed having an option to play against bots. When you've had a rough/long day at work and don't want to get stressed out playing a game nothing beats pounding on some bots.[/quote]

yea, i like the option of playing against bots...getting rarer and rarer these days having bots in games, especially good ones like UT's. it's good to have the option if you want to guarantee a lagless game to play standard game modes

[quote name='jman619']I couldn't resist I have this on ps3 so I rented the 360 one to compare it. I'll be playing later tonight anyone feel free to add me. Gametag = jman6192 I noticed sometimes I can't really turn with the right stick maybe it is just my stick. Also the character starts moving on its own.[/quote]

The 360's controllers have a tendency to glitch the left analog stick. Try tapping it slightly towards the center.

i got this game a couple days ago, and played online last night. holy shit, it's insanely fast paced. this is going to take some time to adjust to, lol.

[quote name='DustHimself']i got this game a couple days ago, and played online last night. holy shit, it's insanely fast paced. this is going to take some time to adjust to, lol.[/quote]

I came into it expecting Quake 4 speeds and was pleasantly surprised. While it is faster than most games, it is a little slower than Quake 4. It's also a lot more open in many spots than Quake 4 was.

How is the 360 community for this game? I picked this up when it first came out on PS3 and while I liked the game the community was really tiny even from the start.. now its just a joke, hardly anyone playing and those that do dont even have mics : |

[quote name='swetooth9']how do you tell which ones are the "official" ones?

yea, i like the option of playing against bots...getting rarer and rarer these days having bots in games, especially good ones like UT's. it's good to have the option if you want to guarantee a lagless game to play standard game modes[/quote]

They usually have MIDWAY in them and support a full 16 players. At least that's how it was on the PS3 version. I doubt they changed much for it.

[quote name='Blackshear']How is the 360 community for this game? I picked this up when it first came out on PS3 and while I liked the game the community was really tiny even from the start.. now its just a joke, hardly anyone playing and those that do dont even have mics : |[/quote]

it's not gargantuan, but no UT game's community will ever be (on a console at least), but there are enough that you won't struggle to get a game in anytime soon

if you like the game, i say get it because there are a good amount of people playing at all times of the day (3 in the afternoon, 11 pm at night, etc)

I just picked this up. I haven't had a chance to play it yet. I'll post again with what I think of it. Is the story mode worth playing through? Or should I just jump into a bot match?

Quick Edit: Does UT3 have the vehicle game mode from UT04?

[quote name='Ahadi']I just picked this up. I haven't had a chance to play it yet. I'll post again with what I think of it. Is the story mode worth playing through? Or should I just jump into a bot match?

Quick Edit: Does UT3 have the vehicle game mode from UT04?[/quote]

LOL at Unreal Tournament and Story mode going together. And yes It does have Vehicle capture the flag. The only unreal games to have a story are Unreal and Unreal 2.

[quote name='Ahadi']I just picked this up. I haven't had a chance to play it yet. I'll post again with what I think of it. Is the story mode worth playing through? Or should I just jump into a bot match?

Quick Edit: Does UT3 have the vehicle game mode from UT04?[/QUOTE]

The Campaign mode has a story, but it's just barely there. It is useful however since the Campaign is essentially a tutorial on the different maps and gameplay types.

Yeah the story went something like "blah blah bad stuff blah blah you can do it" then a match with bots. I played through it to learn the maps and weapons before going online and making my team lose learning that way.

[quote name='Blackshear']How is the 360 community for this game? I picked this up when it first came out on PS3 and while I liked the game the community was really tiny even from the start.. now its just a joke, hardly anyone playing and those that do dont even have mics : |[/quote]
This is the exact reason why I traded off my copy. I enjoyed the game, but it sucked that I could never find anyone to play with. I think some of the PS3 CAGers have a UT3 night going on though.

According to VGChartz this did even worst on the 360 then PS3 at launch.
Comparison:

PS3 76,745 290,000+
360 48,756 48,756

For those that are waiting for a price drop. Keep waiting. Granted, long run wise I'm sure the 360 will sell slightly better with the Gears of War 2 sticker slapped on it.

I'm bidding on eBay and hoping to snag a copy for $35 shipped or less then you guys can add me. I'll post again here probably.

So I've played some bot matches and I'm enjoying it. I don't think I'm going to put much time in the story mode. Would you guys mind if I joined in on an online session?

I got it today. I like it so far and I just went into online mode straight. I'm not sure I'll even bother with singe player.

So I am trying to co-op with my brother over xbox live and when either of us makes the game and sends the invite it always says "the game is full or there is an error" we have tried rebooting the consoles and checking all network settings. We have no trouble joining other peoples games though...anyone know what's going on? It may be related but we also can't set up private chats anymore either.

ahh yes good ole router problems..

Go to the main XBox Live blade, go to network connection, run a test, make sure your NAT settings are set to open. If they aren't (both you and your brother's have to be set to open), google search for your router model and figure out how to go into the settings and get the NAT set to open.

I'm guessing one of you is using a wireless connection

How the hell was this off my radar until just a few seconds ago? UT3 is the shit on PC. I'm in for 1 when this comes out.

edit: rofl this game was released july 7th

[quote name='mike.m']This game is $40 at BB this week. Worth it?[/quote]

I have it, haven't played it in a while but it's a really enjoyable game. Since it's been a while I don't know what the online community is looking like.

While it is a great game, I think I'd suggest you wait until it's $30 or $20. If you do end up getting it I'd be willing to play with ya since I've had a yearning for some UT3 action lately.

[quote name='woodcan']I have it, haven't played it in a while but it's a really enjoyable game. Since it's been a while I don't know what the online community is looking like.

While it is a great game, I think I'd suggest you wait until it's $30 or $20. If you do end up getting it I'd be willing to play with ya since I've had a yearning for some UT3 action lately.[/QUOTE]

Thats funny, you have not mentioned wanting to play while I was around
Guess you still fear the Green Goo :puke:

bread's done
Back