Unreal Tournament III - Gen. Discussion & Info

Did the PS3 version have mods?

I can probably wait till this hits $40 then myself. I got a PC that can run this really well but my friend doesn't so I was gonna pick this up for the 360. Maybe I'll get this for the PC and 360 then.

Anyone want to bet on how long it will take the five new maps to appear on the PC and PS3, either officially or through modders.

[quote name='swetooth9']anyone pickin this up at CC for the free $10 giftcard? :D

here's the AU review from IGN
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/885/885697p1.html

looks good to me

oh yea, there will be dedicated servers for UT3 on the 360:
http://talkingaboutgames.com/content/view/1530/1/[/quote]

I will def. be picking it up next week at CC, anyone else?
I rented this a bit from Gamefly for the triple and i enjoyed the online play except for the small amount of people playing. I will def. love this game with the 360 controller.

I just gave my mom all my money for going over on my bill. Stupid Sprint changing text prices from 10cents to 20 without warning. Would anyone be willing to give me a copy? No? Okay guess I gotta get 65bucks...

anyone know if this game for sure is up for sale tomorrow in most stores... ie. Walmart.... dont want to go there in the AM and have it not be there...

Is it just me, or does anyone else think the lead character in UT3 look like Dom from GoW? I know they're both from Epic Games, but c'mon... Originality please?

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Is anyone planning to go for the Get A Life... achievement?[/QUOTE]

I'd like to try.

Me you and Brak gonna tear it up :cool:

[quote name='seanr1221']I'd like to try.

Me you and Brak gonna tear it up :cool:[/quote]I'm gonna make you guys look good :cool:

[quote name='Nelo Ice']damn i wanna pick this up but i hope the community for it wont be dead like the other versions[/quote]I doubt it will be, especially since XBL is considered the best/most popular online platform and the fact that people went nuts for Unreal Championship when it was on the Xbox.

You don't understand what he means by dead community.

On the PS3 version it was pretty much all dedicated servers, with nobody playing on any of them ever

good thing is that there's pretty good AI bots in this game so if you can't find a match, these are supposedly some of the best bots in the business

Hopefully the game really is coming out today at Game Stop. I seem to be getting mixed messages on the internet for what day the game is coming out on.

I've been a huge Unreal Tournament fan for about five years now, so naturally, I can't wait for this game. But I'm having a really hard time trying to decide if I should get this for the 360 or PC.

Unreal has always seemed like a game meant for the PC, but this one feels...different. My mind is telling me to get it for the PC. Mods, better controls, etc. However, my gut is telling me to get it for the 360. I really have no pros or cons; the 360 version is just so much more alluring for some reason. I really can't explain it.

Guide me CAG.

(Also, when exactly will this game be on store shelves? I checked several different sites and they all list different dates...)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dkreegz515']anyone know if this game for sure is up for sale tomorrow in most stores... ie. Walmart.... dont want to go there in the AM and have it not be there...[/QUOTE]

I called my local Wal-Mart / electronics department yesterday (Monday) and they said they usually get games on Tuesdays so they didn't have it but hopefully I'll be going to pick up copy today 'if" they come in.

If you have the computer for it, I'd go with PC. Mods and a much cheaper price= win. You can get the CE of it for the PC for $30 new on amazon i believe

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']I've been a huge Unreal Tournament fan for about five years now, so naturally, I can't wait for this game. But I'm having a really hard time trying to decide if I should get this for the 360 or PC.

Unreal has always seemed like a game meant for the PC, but this one feels...different. My mind is telling me to get it for the PC. Mods, better controls, etc. However, my gut is telling me to get it for the 360. I really have no pros or cons; the 360 version is just so much more alluring for some reason. I really can't explain it.

Guide me CAG.

(Also, when exactly will this game be on store shelves? I checked several different sites and they all list different dates...)[/quote]

If you have a really good PC, then there's no reason not to go for that version.

But the console versions are pretty good for what they offer. By no means was the PS3 version really horrible or anything, but it lacked features that most other multiplayer shooters had...like voicechat. Custom mods is cool and all, but it's not an easy download and play process. You download mods as a ZIP from a PC, put it on a USB stick with a certain file structure, then put it on your PS3.

I understand why the 360 version seems fascinating. I do that with a lot of games that are point and click or not-so-friendly-outside-of-PC (like CSI, maybe Deadliest Catch, Supreme Commander for sure). While the 360 has none of the PS3's custom mods, features like split-screen, new maps and voicechat are the biggest features. And an online community that may (or may not) support it. No mods...ehhh I think we can live without them. I'm sure I'll play this version a lot more than the 6 hours I spent with the PS3 one.

Oh and Gamestop called telling me it's coming tomorrow. So it's probably Gamestop, Blockbuster and possibly Gamecrazy on Tuesday. And all big retail stores will get it on Wednesday.

[quote name='typeRJ']If you have a really good PC, then there's no reason not to go for that version.

But the console versions are pretty good for what they offer. By no means was the PS3 version really horrible or anything, but it lacked features that most other multiplayer shooters had...like voicechat. Custom mods is cool and all, but it's not an easy download and play process. You download mods as a ZIP from a PC, put it on a USB stick with a certain file structure, then put it on your PS3.

I understand why the 360 version seems fascinating. I do that with a lot of games that are point and click or not-so-friendly-outside-of-PC (like CSI, maybe Deadliest Catch, Supreme Commander for sure). While the 360 has none of the PS3's custom mods, features like split-screen, new maps and voicechat are the biggest features. And an online community that may (or may not) support it. No mods...ehhh I think we can live without them. I'm sure I'll play this version a lot more than the 6 hours I spent with the PS3 one.

Oh and Gamestop called telling me it's coming tomorrow. So it's probably Gamestop, Blockbuster and possibly Gamecrazy on Tuesday. And all big retail stores will get it on Wednesday.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad their keeping mods & mouse/keyboard support out. I'm hoping for it to become more of a competitive/hardcore online experince which it should better with LIVE & the deticated servers and atleast they tried to make it by adding the 3 extra character types & 5 exclusive maps.
It would've crappy if it was the PS3 version with nothing extra after 8 months of release difference.

[quote name='typeRJ']If you have a really good PC, then there's no reason not to go for that version. [/QUOTE]

Yes there is, I have a killer PC with Vista x64. Turns out UT3 has major compatibility problems with x64 OSes!

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']I've been a huge Unreal Tournament fan for about five years now, so naturally, I can't wait for this game. But I'm having a really hard time trying to decide if I should get this for the 360 or PC.

Guide me CAG.

(Also, when exactly will this game be on store shelves? I checked several different sites and they all list different dates...)[/quote]

get it for the 360, you can play it in bed :lol:

Ugh. I have to wait until tomorrow to get this. Maybe even later. I want to play it nao :bomb:

Not that it matters though. It's too fucking hot to turn on my 360.

just got it from FYE (after trading GTA4 and monster madness in the 20% brown bag)

fyi, if you get it from FYE (i had credit there, that's why i got it from there), you are eligible for a $10 rebate

[quote name='seanr1221']What does everyone think?[/quote]

I am interested as well. GamePro knocked it pretty bad, but it has a 85 metacritic score.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I don't have the 360 version (I have the PC version) but this isn't as good as Unreal Tournament 2004.[/quote]

No Unreal game will ever be as good as UT2004.

i just opened and played my copy of UT3 on the 360.

i fiddled around with the settings, then played 2 instant action deathmatches

novice bots are dumb, but the other ones are better

looks great and runs very smoothly, buttons are responsive and it's jsut all around fun to play. reminds me very much of 2k4 (i loved taht game)

haven't tried online yet though...will try that tomorrow

for $45 at amazon, this game is well worth it. I got mine after trade-ins at FYE with the brown bag though

I just played it for a couple of hours, I like it overall. I only played 2 game types, deathmatch and vehicle CFT. This reminded me of UT on the PC and Dreamcast, with the addition of vehicles and voice chat. If you're looking for major innovation you will be disappointed, but it is more of a refinement of the original UT.

Your typical modifiers are there, so you can play classic games types like instagib.

I really can't compare this to Unreal Championship or the UT 2003/4 because I never played them.

So far I have not encountered any taunts, 12 year olds spouting the N-word, hopefully it will stay that way.

If epic is smart they will put out a demo with a level or 2 for the xbox, it is much faster paced that Halo 3 or COD 4, and some people might not like the fast pace of this game.

Oh, and the controls can be configured however you want, so you can easily replicate some of the controls from whatever multiplayer you are playing now.

I just ordered Amazon's last $45 dollar copy, but I was impatient, so I did one day shipping and the total came to $60.47 -_-

I'll have it on Thursday.

I played Unreal Tournament 3 and really dig the gameplay. The quick-paced, twitch gameplay provided an excellent warm-up for Call of Duty 4. This series is as fun as I remembered. However, the vehicles control like in Halo 3, which is not too desirable. But, the guns are great. I dig the dual firing modes. The green-bio-blob gun is my favorite. I also dig the ability to customize nigh everything. I like having options. I don't know if I disabled it, but I couldn't find how to display the mini-map - but that didn't keep me from doing well. Fun game. It would be funner if I knew how to play modes other than deathmatch. :oops:

[quote name='chasemurata']I played Unreal Tournament 3 and really dig the gameplay. The quick-paced, twitch gameplay provided an excellent warm-up for Call of Duty 4. This series is as fun as I remembered. However, the vehicles control like in Halo 3, which is not too desirable. But, the guns are great. I dig the dual firing modes. The green-bio-blob gun is my favorite. I also dig the ability to customize nigh everything. I like having options. I don't know if I disabled it, but I couldn't find how to display the mini-map - but that didn't keep me from doing well. Fun game. It would be funner if I knew how to play modes other than deathmatch. :oops:[/quote]

go to options > HUD and you can set minimap there

the warfare is almost exactly like onslaught in 2k4..but i guess that doensn't help much :lol:

but yea, awesome game

[quote name='chasemurata']It would be funner if I knew how to play modes other than deathmatch. :oops:[/quote]

CTF you probably don't need an explanation for. But Warfare on the other hand...

WARFARE
swetooth9's comparison to onslaught is good. But if that doesn't help, think of any shooter match that involves bases, most recently Territories in Halo 3,Headquarters in Call of Duty 4 or even Gold Rush in Bad Company. But with a twist.

BASICS

• The main base is the Power Core. You must defend yours and destroy the enemy's.
  • Bases are linked to the Power Core, which provide the Power Core with a shield. You can't just run to the main base and destroy it.
  • They'll usually point you in the direction of the first base to attack, called a node (Center, Prime, Tank, Directional, etc).
  • Orbs take over nodes automatically. They're good for taking over a node and "repairing" a node.

ATTACK

• Attack a node to gain control of it.

1. --Pick up the Orb and take it to a neutral node. It automatically gains control of the node for you.
  2. --If an enemy controls a node, you have to destroy it first. Just shoot it. Now it's neutral.
  3. --If you don't have an Orb, you'll have to wait for the node to rebuild. Use the ALT fire on the Link Gun to speed the process.

• Keep taking over nodes. You need to create a link from your Power Core to the enemy's Core through the connecting nodes.
  • Once you take over the node protecting the enemy's core, the shield will be disabled.
  • Shoot the Core until it gets to 0 to destroy it. Rockets take the most per shot, but obviously are a little slow. Link Gun ALT fire is ok, but I prefer Flak Gun ALT fire.

DEFEND

• Stop Orb carriers from taking over your nodes.
  • When you're near an Orb dropped by an enemy, try to prevent them from taking it back by letting the Orb timer run out.
  • If you're in a bind, go up to the Orb and hold X (or "Use/Action" button) to be a martyr and destroy the Orb
  • Keep an eye out on your nodes. Take an Orb with you just in case it's about to fall.

EXTRA

• In some stages, there's random nodes that aren't necessary to disable the enemy's Core. These nodes are Tank nodes, East (or any direction) nodes, etc. Sometimes taking over the East node and a combination of nodes will not only disable the shield, it'll raise the enemy's Core in the air.
  • They recommend doing this because you can shoot the Core from far distances with a Turret. Very effective if you can pull it off.

Not sure if all that makes sense. But if you need more info, the Single Player Campaign, specifically Chapter I, explains each mode as you encounter them. It's not the greatest explanation in the world, but it does help to hear and see an example of what you have to do.

Thanks for the guide, RJ. It helps. I think I'll play some single-player Campaign today for the tutorials. Wee!

For those that are playing it now, how is the player base as far as population? I played the PS3 version, and my only complaint (although it is a big one) is that not a lot of people seemed to be playing it, which is the death knell for a multiplayer-centric game.

[quote name='typeRJ']CTF you probably don't need an explanation for. But Warfare on the other hand...

WARFARE
swetooth9's comparison to onslaught is good. But if that doesn't help, think of any shooter match that involves bases, most recently Territories in Halo 3,Headquarters in Call of Duty 4 or even Gold Rush in Bad Company. But with a twist.

BASICS

• The main base is the Power Core. You must defend yours and destroy the enemy's.
  • Bases are linked to the Power Core, which provide the Power Core with a shield. You can't just run to the main base and destroy it.
  • They'll usually point you in the direction of the first base to attack, called a node (Center, Prime, Tank, Directional, etc).
  • Orbs take over nodes automatically. They're good for taking over a node and "repairing" a node.

ATTACK

• Attack a node to gain control of it.

1. --Pick up the Orb and take it to a neutral node. It automatically gains control of the node for you.
  2. --If an enemy controls a node, you have to destroy it first. Just shoot it. Now it's neutral.
  3. --If you don't have an Orb, you'll have to wait for the node to rebuild. Use the ALT fire on the Link Gun to speed the process.

• Keep taking over nodes. You need to create a link from your Power Core to the enemy's Core through the connecting nodes.
  • Once you take over the node protecting the enemy's core, the shield will be disabled.
  • Shoot the Core until it gets to 0 to destroy it. Rockets take the most per shot, but obviously are a little slow. Link Gun ALT fire is ok, but I prefer Flak Gun ALT fire.

DEFEND

• Stop Orb carriers from taking over your nodes.
  • When you're near an Orb dropped by an enemy, try to prevent them from taking it back by letting the Orb timer run out.
  • If you're in a bind, go up to the Orb and hold X (or "Use/Action" button) to be a martyr and destroy the Orb
  • Keep an eye out on your nodes. Take an Orb with you just in case it's about to fall.

EXTRA

• In some stages, there's random nodes that aren't necessary to disable the enemy's Core. These nodes are Tank nodes, East (or any direction) nodes, etc. Sometimes taking over the East node and a combination of nodes will not only disable the shield, it'll raise the enemy's Core in the air.
  • They recommend doing this because you can shoot the Core from far distances with a Turret. Very effective if you can pull it off.

Not sure if all that makes sense. But if you need more info, the Single Player Campaign, specifically Chapter I, explains each mode as you encounter them. It's not the greatest explanation in the world, but it does help to hear and see an example of what you have to do.[/quote]

Good stuff...I'll add to the OP.

bread's done
Back