AMC's The Walking Dead - S3 2nd half starts 02/10/13 9PM ET

[quote name='Purple Flames']P.S. How does a tank lose to a pack of zombies?????[/QUOTE]

It's not really that the tank lost, but what happened to the crew inside? Did one leave the bottom hatch open? Did the last surviving crew member try to jump out to save someone on a routine patrol and get jumped by a bunch of zombies? Did the tank run out of fuel or ammo? Who knows.

[quote name='Jodou']Yeah, between this and them dropping channels without notifying me, their retention dept. is going to be given hell from me today.[/QUOTE]

What?! Which other channels did they drop? I read on their site that they are "having discussions with Rainbow Media" to get AMC HD. I really don't know what the fuck is taking so long. Both Dish and Comcast already have it. AMC has 2 of the biggest shows on television ("Mad Men" and "Breaking Bad"), and DirecTV won't make the jump to their HD station.

Just finished watching it and I liked it, sucks it's only a couple episodes but like the possible 6 more episodes being picked up for season one.

I gotta get back into the comics, I just found some online to read. I used to have the 1st 4 TPB but I can't seem to find them guess I Ebayed them years ago.

man am I that behind in the comic because I don't remember 'Governor' but I did read that the tank wasn't until much later comic wise.

[quote name='Purple Flames']I thought this episode was really good. I was kinda put off by the blatant parallels to the beginning 28 Days Later, but admittedly it helped to set the tone.

I like that there was some character development right at the sart to let you know that this was about the people and not the zombies. It really helps to set this story apart from other stories in this genre.

I wish the trailers hadn't spoiled Atlanta being overrun with zombies, since that was a pretty crucial plotpoint and motivation for the protaginist and would have been a nice suckerpunch for the audience (though let's be honest, it wouldn't have come as a real surprise to anyone genre savvy enough).

I really liked the preview for the season. I'm really excited to see how things turn out.

P.S. How does a tank lose to a pack of zombies?????[/QUOTE]

you run out of ammo and gas? on top of that i think its possible maybe
one or more of the crew freaked out and booked. id also wonder if the tank crew didnt end up running out of supplies which is why the one zombie was inside still alive. the others could have made a run for it from the top and or from the bottom and maybe made it but maybe not.

in wasn't discussed so far in what I read but how about the cause of the outbreak? We still don't know right is it possible that whatever caused the zombies initially was deployed again and caused the tank man to 'die' as it were?

[quote name='Wolfkin']in wasn't discussed so far in what I read but how about the cause of the outbreak? We still don't know right is it possible that whatever caused the zombies initially was deployed again and caused the tank man to 'die' as it were?[/QUOTE]

ive all caught up with the series and nobody knows why its happening they just know how it spreads. tank man probably died from starvation, dehydration or possibly heat stroke (atlanta in the summer and the south in general is very damn hot).

[quote name='Wolfkin']in wasn't discussed so far in what I read but how about the cause of the outbreak? We still don't know right is it possible that whatever caused the zombies initially was deployed again and caused the tank man to 'die' as it were?[/QUOTE]

Nope, the comic never goes into it. Well, scratch that
they do get into it a little bit when someone joins the survivors group who claims to know what caused it because he worked for the government but its later found out that he made up everything.
Slight separate comic spoiler
Anyone who has read the comics knows that shit goes down and ANYBODY is fair game to be killed, basically aside from Rick and even then I could still see them killing him simply because that's what the comic does.
[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Well, my expectations were pretty high, and I feel pretty happy with it. I like that it's not getting away from the fact that the comics are about the people, not the zombies. Favorite moment:
The added (from the comic) scene in which Morgan tries to convince himself to shoot his wife. I felt it nailed the human component of the story
My least favorite part:
Making the Shane and Lori angle way too overt way too soon. Shane's actions after Rick arrived told us everything we needed to know in the comics. Actually, they're telegraphing Shane as the asshole a bit too much overall this early in the game. That's my only real complaint though.
Overall, I'm really looking forward to next week, and I wish the season was going to be longer. No way I'm going to get my fill with so few episodes.[/QUOTE]

With your first spoiler
I liked that scene a lot and I also really liked the scene where Rick apologizes to the one he seeks out to put down. IIRC that wasn't an added scene and was actually in the comic but it worked really well in the show.

I agree with your second spoiler 100%
I really did feel like they jumped to the relationship between Lori and Shane way too soon. I mean it's Lori's first scene and we find out she's in the "affair" already? One of the few areas where the show completely missed the feel of the comics. Now, as far as the pregnancy goes, I'm really interested to see how they handle that.

As an aside, I really enjoyed the show's portrayal of what the actual world would be like in that you can let your guard down in certain areas. That is something the comic hints at sometimes but it comes across so much better in the show. What really exemplified it for me was when Rick goes to the park to put down that one zombie just before leaving town for Atlanta. My girlfriend, who hasn't read the comics, turned to me and said he can't just walk out in the open like that he's gonna get attacked. That's when I explained to her the whole story of the walking dead isn't about constantly worrying about the next zombie attack but rather its about how you live and retain humanity in a world overrun by zombies. Are there gonna be times when the zombies pop up out of nowhere and take someone out? Yeah, definitely, but that isn't what the story is going to be based on.

As odd of a genre as it sounds, I would almost argue The Walking Dead is Drama-Horror.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RedvsBlue']
With your first spoiler
I liked that scene a lot and I also really liked the scene where Rick apologizes to the one he seeks out to put down. IIRC that wasn't an added scene and was actually in the comic but it worked really well in the show.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that scene with Rick was in the comic, but they extended it so that he actually had to go looking to take care of it, which sets up how he feels now as well as the changes that will come. I liked that change as well. It's subtle, but it really adds to the characterization.

I need to get caught up again. i forget where I left off but the last series I read with that aspect
where anyone was fair game to die was Gantz and that's one of the truly unique things about that series. You have one main character but pretty much everyone else dies at some point if I recall correctly one round literally everyone else but him dies

[quote name='RedvsBlue']As odd of a genre as it sounds, I would almost argue The Walking Dead is Drama-Horror.[/QUOTE]I'm tempted to take you one step further and call it pure drama unlike say Supernatural which is as close as you can some to Horror/Drama off premium cable. A romantic comedy is a movie that is both romantic and comedic (at least in the attempt). I might go so far as to say that this isn't in anyway a horror series. There are zombies and there is killing/death but from what I remember none of it was designed to instill a sense of horror in the reader/consumer like say 30 days of night. Rather it's only the background for the drama. Like in 'Field of Dreams' it's only there as a setpiece it's not really a sports movie (Any Given Sunday, Friday Night Lights) as much as it is a drama. and now this goes behind a spoiler because it sounds like I'm being esoteric for the sake of being esoteric. I'll see you guys next week. i'm gonna see if i can locate my copy of TWD and reread/catch up.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Scorch']It's not really that the tank lost, but what happened to the crew inside? Did one leave the bottom hatch open? Did the last surviving crew member try to jump out to save someone on a routine patrol and get jumped by a bunch of zombies? Did the tank run out of fuel or ammo? Who knows.[/QUOTE]

I think the tank was nothing more then a show of force... simple the outbreak got out of hand ...the zombies attacked the tank... the tank dude got bit and pulled himself back into the tank.. Maybe they didnt know bites killed.. dude died and just stayed in the tank (not knowing how to get out)

is this the first zombie type movie where they ate other things then people... Felt sorry for that horse

[quote name='RedvsBlue']That's when I explained to her the whole story of the walking dead isn't about constantly worrying about the next zombie attack but rather its about how you live and retain humanity in a world overrun by zombies. Are there gonna be times when the zombies pop up out of nowhere and take someone out? Yeah, definitely, but that isn't what the story is going to be based on.

As odd of a genre as it sounds, I would almost argue The Walking Dead is Drama-Horror.[/QUOTE]

My wife noticed this herself (not having read the comics), and viewed it as a reason to love the show. Unlike many other movies of this type, it's not all about the gore or the jump scares or any of that crap. It's genuine, real world, "this shit is terrifying" thoughts. Really great to see a series take this perspective and run with it. From one episode, I felt like it took all of the good things about Resident Evil, 28 Days Later, and I Am Legend...and perfected them. It's an incredible experience to watch something that just gets it right. Can't wait for more!

[quote name='slidecage']I think the tank was nothing more then a show of force... simple the outbreak got out of hand ...the zombies attacked the tank... the tank dude got bit and pulled himself back into the tank.. Maybe they didnt know bites killed.. dude died and just stayed in the tank (not knowing how to get out)

is this the first zombie type movie where they ate other things then people... Felt sorry for that horse[/QUOTE]

no there was this movie called zombie where a zombie attacked and ate some of a shark underwater but only after it had atacked him.

Surprised that I haven't seen it posted..

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/11/0...llion-viewers-a-3-2-adults-18-49-rating/70366

AMC’S THE WALKING DEAD SCORES A 3.7 HH RATING

AMC ORIGINAL SERIES GARNERS HIGHEST 18-49 DELIVERY

FOR ANY CABLE SERIES PREMIERE FOR 2010

HIGHEST PREMIERE IN AMC’S

HISTORY FOR ORIGINAL SERIES

“It’s a good day to be dead. We are so proud of this series, its depth of storytelling and the remarkable talent attached,” said Charlie Collier, AMC’s president. “As the network dedicated to bringing viewers the best stories on television, we are so pleased to have the opportunity with ‘The Walking Dead’ to raise the bar within this popular genre and continue our commitment to being the home of premium television on basic cable.”

“’The Walking Dead’ is that rare piece of programming that works on so many levels. It is legitimately great storytelling that is not only highly entertaining, but incredibly thought provoking as well. People who are familiar with the comic books know what’s coming, but suffice it to say, this is only the beginning of a long, intense, and powerful ride. Long live ‘The Walking Dead’,” said Joel Stillerman, AMC’s SVP of original programming, production and digital content.

AMC’s first wholly-owned original production, “The Walking Dead” premiered globally on October 31 through an unprecedented partnership with AMC and Fox International Channels. Similar to a theatrical film release, all Fox International Channels are launching the premiere episode this week, resulting in the series’ debuting in 120 countries and in 33 languages.

The Walking Dead premiered as part of AMC FEARFEST, the most highly anticipated horror movie marathon of the Halloween season. The network’s two-week marathon featured nearly 300 hours of horror-themed programming, including more than 60 films. The marathon aired October 18 through October 31, culminating with the 90-minute world premiere of “The Walking Dead.”

“The Walking Dead” is based on the comic book series written by Robert Kirkman and published by Image Comics. Kirkman serves as an executive producer on the project and three-time Academy Award-nominee Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile) serves as writer, director and executive producer. Gale Anne Hurd (The Terminator, Aliens, Armageddon, The Incredible Hulk), chairman of Valhalla Motion Pictures, serves as Executive Producer. David Alpert from Circle of Confusion serves as Executive Producer. Today’s announcement also includes the addition of Charles “Chic” Eglee (Dexter, The Shield, Dark Angel) as Executive Producer.

“The Walking Dead” tells the story of the months and years that follow after a zombie apocalypse. It follows a group of survivors, led by police officer Rick Grimes, who travel in search of a safe and secure home. The comic goes on to explore the challenges of life in a world overrun by zombies who take a toll on the survivors, and sometimes the interpersonal conflicts present a greater danger to their continuing survival than the zombies that roam the country. Over time, the characters are changed by the constant exposure to death and some grow willing to do anything to survive.

My lord how I loved that premiere. I could not believe how film-like that was. AMC just blows my mind. Wow.

Might just be that I'm sick and was not able to stay awake during the show sunday and yesterday when I tried to watch it on on demand but it seems a little slow. I could not stay awake but I want to give this a chance. I will watch it again when I'm not sick and on meds. I felt the same for the pilot of Babylon Fields and about halfway into it the show picked up and sucks it never made it on tv at all. It was a nice twist to zombie shows/movies.

So the
deputy is now with the main dude's wife and son?

I still don't understand why
the black dad just started firing off shots, taking zombies out from the window. I thought he knew how important it is to stay quite and out of sight? Maybe he just couldn't take it anymore?

I couldn't believe how fast the first episode went. Sure, there were commercials, but the time went by incredibly fast.

It was that good. There are few TV shows I will make time for, and this is one of them. And I thought the zombie genre had been done to death...

[quote name='shieryda']So the
deputy is now with the main dude's wife and son?
this is gonna kinda ruin the surprise maybe? but basically everyone including wife son and partner went to Atlanta. So there's a small group of survivors and they are all together. think of that war movie "Brother" where one brother 'dies' and the other sorta takes care of the sister in law and then feeling develop. that's what happens here

I still don't understand why
the black dad just started firing off shots, taking zombies out from the window. I thought he knew how important it is to stay quite and out of sight? Maybe he just couldn't take it anymore?
[/QUOTE]
yeah logically that doesn't make sense but I see it as he needs to put down his wife and he's using the other zeds as practice+training. new guns means he has to get back in fighting shape as it were

[quote name='DrMunkee']I couldn't believe how fast the first episode went. Sure, there were commercials, but the time went by incredibly fast.

It was that good. There are few TV shows I will make time for, and this is one of them. And I thought the zombie genre had been done to death...[/QUOTE]

Yes the pacing was really good, it went by quick. They did a very good job of setting the stage, introducing you to rick and some of the others and telling a good story without it ever dragging or becoming boring. It was constantly in motion. Was also good how they basically didnt cover much of the story really in terms of the comics. They drug it out just the right amount.

I loved everything about it. The mature stuff was little more than I was expecting but it was perfect and didnt go overboard.

Acting was really good. And characters were good compared to the comics.

Aside from a few minor changes it held really close and what they did change I think benefited the storyline since its a live action show and not drawn panels.

Overall I liked it a lot.

Loved the premiere and I'm very happy to see AMC has another hit on their hands!

I know what I'll be watching after Dexter on Sunday nights!

[quote name='Wolfkin']
yeah logically that doesn't make sense but I see it as he needs to put down his wife and he's using the other zeds as practice+training. new guns means he has to get back in fighting shape as it were
[/QUOTE]

He needed the noise to draw her out, he wanted to end her suffering right then and there and it was easier and safer then actually walking outside to find her

fucking A! GF and I just finished the premiere episode. VERY happy with this so far. I am going to find the best service so that Kirkman can get my moneys and keep the series going.

Not as slow as I thought it was when I first watched it the other day. I was on meds for being sick so I was falling asleep however was able to stay awake this time. Glad I gave it another chance and it looks like it will be picking up as the episodes go on.

Sweet! Thanks for posting that. Now I can spam my friends and family with the show and have a place they can go to see how great it is for themselves. Funny that they flat out say they're only streaming the first episode though.

There's a rumour the show has already been granted a second season. Same with Game of Thrones on HBO. Those two shows are going to fucking dominate the basic cable and premium cable.

yeah walking dead should be shooting in feb according to the thread.. didn't hear about game of thrones. has GoT even aired yet?

[quote name='Wolfkin']yeah walking dead should be shooting in feb according to the thread.. didn't hear about game of thrones. has GoT even aired yet?[/QUOTE]

Wasn't that supposed to be HBO?

GoT won't air until March 2011 at the earliest from what I've heard.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']Wasn't that supposed to be HBO?[/QUOTE]

Yep. Honestly, it's the only channel it could be on. There's some heavy shit in those books. Incest, adults killing kids, more profanity than a Deadwood episode...okay, maybe not THAT much profanity.

I only watched 3 of AMC's shows, and all of em is stellar in their own way (Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and now Walking Dead). They've got talented people working there.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']The people running AMC are clearly very smart people. Send out the series to the masses and get as much money coming in as you can.[/QUOTE]

They're of the same mindset as Showtime. To get their content out there in various ways. Much like how almost every Showtime show is available to stream on Netflix. Whereas HBO refuses to provide their content outside of the premium channel. I think that's a further reason Showtime (even Starz now) was gaining serious ground after HBO had that vacuum once Sopranos, The Wire, etc. ended their runs.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']There's a rumour the show has already been granted a second season. Same with Game of Thrones on HBO. Those two shows are going to fucking dominate the basic cable and premium cable.[/QUOTE]

I would also throw Boardwalk Empire into the mix. Very pumped to see Game of Thrones as well!

It's kind of weird how so many of these channels that once focused on movies are showing more and more tv shows. Actually lots of stations seem to be getting away from their original intent. Good in some cases like AMC, bad in others like how MTV has nothing to do with music anymore.

Big-time zombie fan here, and really enjoyed watching TWD with the gf. Very atmospheric; sparse dialog. I'm guessing it's very similar to the comics. Would love to start reading them and hope to get into them soon.

Reading this thread, I'm loving getting the back info from the tv series from our knowledgable comics readers, I just ask that everyone uses the spoilers function and doesn't ruin upcoming episodes before they air. After they air, i'm all about it.

Thanks in advance. keep up the good work, AMC and all our CAG Walking Dead comics readers! :)

I have been anxiously awaiting this series to start, caught the premiere on Halloween last Sunday and loved it. I have been a fan of just about all of the zombie related movies and even a few of the video games over the past 15 or so years, so I am looking forward to a long series, myself.:applause:

I haven't given up on it yet but I'm 3 episodes into Mad Men over 5 days and it hasn't grabbed me yet. Breaking Bad however is one of the greatest things I've ever seen. So worst case scenario they're 2 for 3 with me.

saw this a couple days ago with the lady and it did not dissappoint. I had really high expectations as well. When it was over, she was asking why it finished so soon. Throughout the whole thing she thought it was a movie ;)

I am going to put this show up there with Dexter and Prison Break.

[quote name='Scorch']Surprised that I haven't seen it posted..

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/11/0...llion-viewers-a-3-2-adults-18-49-rating/70366

[/QUOTE]

That makes me very happy.

[quote name='klwillis45']Episode 1 is up for free.[/QUOTE]

That makes me sad, since I caved and purchased Episode 1 off of XBL just a day before.

[quote name='dejeckt']I only watched 3 of AMC's shows, and all of em is stellar in their own way (Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and now Walking Dead). They've got talented people working there.[/QUOTE]

Thanks to how good in quality Walking Dead is, I might actually check out the other two.

That first episode was absolutely amazing! The acting was well done, the story was nearly pitch perfect and to see so much Zombie gore on a CABLE broadcast? Just mind-blowing what they let AMC get away with.

My Favorite scene would most certainly be the dual-montage between Rick and the black guy (can't remember his name ATM). Without spoiling anything, the music and mood was perfect and a small bit towards the end was nearly heart wrenching. You barely ever get that in a show or movie nowadays, let alone a ZOMBIE TV series. Part of the reason why Dawn of the Dead (the orginal) and TWD Comic are two of my most favorite things ever is that they showcase the humanity in a post-apocalyptic world. The pilot showcased just that.

If I had to find fault with anything, it's the pacing. In the debut alone we saw a huge chunk of character and story progression. A whole 10-12 episode season could have (and should have) been used to flesh out the events of the pilot. However, I blame TWD's 6 episode season and I understand why they would want to get as much of the story out there. They only have so much they can do with 6 episodes and I'm sure they're just covering their bases in case this thing doesn't take off.

AMC always orders short seasons for the initial one. They did for Breaking Bad anyway. but it actually works well for Walking Dead because they kinda go with story archs (in regards to the number of comic issues) that comprise enough episodes for a season. So the "finale" will be the same big event from the comics that signaled a "chapter" coming to a close. Such as (major spoiler --->)
them finding the prison and deciding to hole up there

[quote name='crunchb3rry']AMC always orders short seasons for the initial one. They did for Breaking Bad anyway.[/QUOTE]

Actually, Breaking Bad was cut short due to the writer's strike. The first season was suppose to be nine episodes.

[quote name='Wolfkin']I haven't given up on it yet but I'm 3 episodes into Mad Men over 5 days and it hasn't grabbed me yet. Breaking Bad however is one of the greatest things I've ever seen. So worst case scenario they're 2 for 3 with me.[/QUOTE]

Mad Men is more like a soap opera. If you aren't grabbed by the setting, you won't dig the show.

bread's done
Back