AMC's The Walking Dead - S3 2nd half starts 02/10/13 9PM ET

Good episode tonight IMO. I'm fascinated by the
CDC scenes/character. As soon as his sample got charred, I was like...wow. Great stuff there. I checked out the preview of next weeks episode online and it looks like a pretty good finish to the season. We'll see I suppose.

Kind of a slow episode, if you ask me.
When they left that guy on the road, didn't they have to repair the Winebago? It didn't show them going to the gas station and fixing it; it just showed them leaving.

Seems like they'll be some conflict with the CDC guy next episode. Should be interesting. From the website's preview,
it looks like it'll partially explain what the zombie plague is and why it happened. It's rare in any zombie story to ever know that kind of information.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Good episode tonight IMO. I'm fascinated by the
CDC scenes/character. As soon as his sample got charred, I was like...wow. Great stuff there. I checked out the preview of next weeks episode online and it looks like a pretty good finish to the season. We'll see I suppose.
[/QUOTE]

A guy in another forum I visit has a friend (or sister or something) who's an actress in this. Or at least was. Her part may have been cut but she
plays the wife of the CDC guy...those samples were her.

[/QUOTE]

Dude, not that this is a bad thing seriously, please do not think I am attacking you in anyway. Christ you impress easily.

Anyway. I am reminded of a story I was told by my prof years ago every time I watch this show. (I know a decent amount of CAG know this but for clarity I work in Television, Film and Broadcasting. VH1, BET, MTV, CMT, TRUTV, etc etc I have worked for them all on many different shows and continue to do so)

When filming Air Force One, the writer handed Harrison Ford 2 pages of dialogue to say for "the big speech," Harrison Ford glanced at the paper, balled it up and handed it back to the writer. The writer who had poured his heart into writing that scene was shocked and feared that Ford didnt like his writing. Ford shrugged his shoulders and said, "Everything on that page I can say with just a look."

It feels like this is a 30min show stretched into an hour due to the fact that the cast cant portray elements without spelling them out to the viewer.

Now for plot comments.
Really slow episode. You are right 2D, they magically fixed the Winny. And I didnt really get why that one couple left to go find family in the south?

The CDC guy just blew my mind. What fail safe causes fire to burst out of the ceiling? That was a very strange way to destroy the cells. I am interested in seeing his story, why there is only one lone guy in a compound that big. Hopefully this final episode will pull everything together. I hope that its 2hrs long then maybe I can get an hour of real content.

Wow, almost no reactions to this episode? I must not have been the only one that had better things to do and just DVR'd it lol.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Dude, not that this is a bad thing seriously, please do not think I am attacking you in anyway. Christ you impress easily.

Anyway. I am reminded of a story I was told by my prof years ago every time I watch this show. (I know a decent amount of CAG know this but for clarity I work in Television, Film and Broadcasting. VH1, BET, MTV, CMT, TRUTV, etc etc I have worked for them all on many different shows and continue to do so)

When filming Air Force One, the writer handed Harrison Ford 2 pages of dialogue to say for "the big speech," Harrison Ford glanced at the paper, balled it up and handed it back to the writer. The writer who had poured his heart into writing that scene was shocked and feared that Ford didnt like his writing. Ford shrugged his shoulders and said, "Everything on that page I can say with just a look."

It feels like this is a 30min show stretched into an hour due to the fact that the cast cant portray elements without spelling them out to the viewer.

Now for plot comments.
Really slow episode. You are right 2D, they magically fixed the Winny. And I didnt really get why that one couple left to go find family in the south?

The CDC guy just blew my mind. What fail safe causes fire to burst out of the ceiling? That was a very strange way to destroy the cells. I am interested in seeing his story, why there is only one lone guy in a compound that big. Hopefully this final episode will pull everything together. I hope that its 2hrs long then maybe I can get an hour of real content.
[/QUOTE]Because the things that were examined in that room were too dangerous to let get out, incineration would be the best way to destroy any sort of pathogen.

I agree, this episode was very slow especially the scene with
the sisters. Dear god did that drag on. Shot her in the head already.
However they nailed the scene with the group
leaving the bitten guy under the tree.

I am enjoying this show but why did they change it so much? I'm actually a little concerned for the integrity of the story. I just hope they know where they're going with this. The CDC scene came out of left feild. It made me think of Lost and I got a bitter taste in my mouth.

Does the comic spend time on plot strings, and then leaves them hanging like this show?
*cough*One handed redneck guy *Cough*

I hope he reunites with the black dude and his kid.

No the comic is very fleshed out. The show has strayed very far from the source material. Normally thats not a bad thing when making a adaption but this is taking it a bit far.

[quote name='Jabrim']The scene with the sister just pissed me off, enough is enough, just beating a dead horse.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing. I thought the episode was boring until the very end. I guess writing a story like this isn't easy and transitioning to the whole CDC finally takes a boring episode, but I was still disappointed.

And since when does 5 (or was it six??) episodes make a season? The finale better be two hours!

[quote name='Rodimus']I have a feeling we'll see the one handed redneck again, but since he wasn't in the comic it's hard to say for sure.[/QUOTE]

I have no doubt in the world he'll be back. I'm just curious to see how it plays out and who he blames the most. Will his brother who has stuck around with the survivors and seems to grow more attached to them all the time side with the survivors or will he side with his brother? Lots of interesting possibilities there but they're clearly saving that for later.

[quote name='2DMention']Does the comic spend time on plot strings, and then leaves them hanging like this show?
*cough*One handed redneck guy *Cough*

I hope he reunites with the black dude and his kid.[/QUOTE]
Characters pop in and out of the comic all the time. There's been quite a few instances where it almost seems like you'll never see a character again but then they pop up and become a major player or significant member of "the group" again.

Basically, in the comic, unless you see a character die
(for example, Michone)
and its very clear they are dead
(for example, the governor)
, then expect to see that character show up again.

[quote name='Abear21']I was thinking the same thing. I thought the episode was boring until the very end. I guess writing a story like this isn't easy and transitioning to the whole CDC finally takes a boring episode, but I was still disappointed.

And since when does 5 (or was it six??) episodes make a season? The finale better be two hours![/QUOTE]
It all depends on how much faith the network has in the show's success. If they're hesitant it won't be very successful then they will order a low number of episodes. That doesn't always mean the short, mini-first season will spell disaster for the show. Two famous examples off the top of my head are Seinfeld (with 5 episodes in their first season) and The Office (with 6 episodes in their first season). Obviously both of those shows ended up finding a lot of success despite severely short first seasons. The key though is that they get season 2 going as soon as possible so they don't lose the momentum from their first season.

I dont give a shit what this is or isnt based on or how far away from the "source" material they are straying. For me, this show IS the source material since I have never read the comic and probably never will. For what this show is, it is very good. It seems a lot of you just want action action action and you cant do that all the time and keep a core audience attached to a story. That might be enough for some people (apparently quite a few on here) but I like feeling a connection to the characters and worrying about them. The action scenes and zombies are icing on this cake for me. The last scene where he is pleading with the camera to let them in was gut wrenching and made me feel like he had no other hope for his or anyone elses life but to beg for mercy from someone that might not even be there.

Great show. It has its flaws but much better than most of the bullshit on tv right now and is a good departure from crime dramas and reality shows.

Stop nitpicking bullshit and take time to enjoy it.

[quote name='Malik112099']I dont give a shit what this is or isnt based on or how far away from the "source" material they are straying. For me, this show IS the source material since I have never read the comic and probably never will. For what this show is, it is very good. It seems a lot of you just want action action action and you cant do that all the time and keep a core audience attached to a story. That might be enough for some people (apparently quite a few on here) but I like feeling a connection to the characters and worrying about them. The action scenes and zombies are icing on this cake for me. The last scene where he is pleading with the camera to let them in was gut wrenching and made me feel like he had no other hope for his or anyone elses life but to beg for mercy from someone that might not even be there.

Great show. It has its flaws but much better than most of the bullshit on tv right now and is a good departure from crime dramas and reality shows.

Stop nitpicking bullshit and take time to enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything said here.

This is a TV series remember people, it's not gonna be all action like a hollywood film.

[quote name='Abear21']I was thinking the same thing. I thought the episode was boring until the very end. I guess writing a story like this isn't easy and transitioning to the whole CDC finally takes a boring episode, but I was still disappointed.

And since when does 5 (or was it six??) episodes make a season? The finale better be two hours![/QUOTE]

From what I have read about AMC's series, most if not all of their initial seasons for their shows start with 6 episodes, might be a way to save money and test the waters before renewing for a second season.

Are there people complaining about the lack of action? The comic isn't all that action packed either.

With anything it's normal for fans wanting to stick as close to the source as possible. Can you blame them? Do the changes make it a bad show? Absoluty not. But if they keep changing the story around expect the readers to weigh in. Get used to it.

[quote name='Rodimus']Are there people complaining about the lack of action? The comic isn't all that action packed either.

With anything it's normal for fans wanting to stick as close to the source as possible. Can you blame them? Do the changes make it a bad show? Absoluty not. But if they keep changing the story around expect the readers to weigh in. Get used to it.[/QUOTE]

:applause::applause::applause: Can we get this guy a drink?

I know I have already been labeled the troll of the topic so I doubt anyone takes my opinion as anything more than, "searching for an flame war," but saying people should, "Stop nitpicking bullshit," is ludicrous. Straw man at its finest. Its very few people in this thread that have demanded more action. Yes they want more things to happen in each episode but no one said we need flame throwers and rocket launchers. In fact most people have indeed admitted that they enjoy/like the show including myself. They just have legit gripes about the direction. Hell I would even take it a step back and say that most people do not mind if the show differs from the source material if its good enough. No one other than hyper critical people cared about The Lord of The Rings when it was change a little for film.

I know that when I walk into a KFC I expect chicken related goodness. If they start trying to serve me steak (no matter how good) I will wonder just why you named the place KFC.

If you dont want comparisons to the comic....dont name it after it. Bottom line.

[quote name='Soodmeg']:applause::applause::applause: Can we get this guy a drink?

I know I have already been labeled the troll of the topic so I doubt anyone takes my opinion as anything more than, "searching for an flame war," but saying people should, "Stop nitpicking bullshit," is ludicrous. Straw man at its finest. Its very few people in this thread that have demanded more action. Yes they want more things to happen in each episode but no one said we need flame throwers and rocket launchers. In fact most people have indeed admitted that they enjoy/like the show including myself. They just have legit gripes about the direction. Hell I would even take it a step back and say that most people do not mind if the show differs from the source material if its good enough. No one other than hyper critical people cared about The Lord of The Rings when it was change a little for film.

I know that when I walk into a KFC I expect chicken related goodness. If they start trying to serve me steak (no matter how good) I will wonder just why you named the place KFC.

If you dont want comparisons to the comic....dont name it after it. Bottom line.[/QUOTE]

I love the show, have seen every episode and have been dvr'ing the entire series so far. I can agree with what you are saying though, most people are just irritated and pissed because they like the show and do not want imperfections being made light of. I love the show as I said before but, if I see something ignorant or that just does not make any sense about an episode I am going to say something about it. It is a thread about the show, not just for loving the show either.

If you like the show, watch it. If you don't, don't watch it. If you have a criticism, feel free to point it out, but this IS the internet. Someone will disagree with you and neither of you are going to change your mind, so starting an argument over it is stupid. Remember - Don't feed the trolls. Just move on.

Done and done.

That being said, was I the only one who noticed that the music playing during the
"driving part"
was the same music that played during the Kick-Ass movie strobe light shootout? Pretty cool stuff.

[quote name='Soodmeg']If you dont want comparisons to the comic....dont name it after it. Bottom line.[/QUOTE]

"AMC'S The Walking Dead"

I give em a pass. I like the fact that not everything is telegraphed by the comic. Not the best episode, and Mr.CDC threw me off, but I liked watching redneck wife pickaxe her husband a bit too much.

Been watching every episode with the girlfriend and looking forward to more.

[/QUOTE]
Agreed. That was probably my favourite episode yet. Lots of good scenes. And the
CDC guy all by himself in that massive compound was really creepy. "I think I'll blow my brains out tomorrow". Can't wait to see what happens between him and the main group.
Great stuff.

[quote name='DrMunkee']
That being said, was I the only one who noticed that the music playing during the
"driving part"
was the same music that played during the Kick-Ass movie strobe light shootout? Pretty cool stuff.[/QUOTE]

Noticed it too. The music is originally from the movie Sunshine by Danny Boyle.

I hope they have some sort of explanation as to how
the CDC guy ended up being the only one there, or I at least presume he is the only one there. It doesn't make sense for a secure facility like that that appeared to have dozens and dozens of people wind up being left with one person.
Unless I am missing something, maybe it is just me.

Walking Dead writing staff let go.

http://tv.ign.com/articles/113/1137550p1.html

"Deadline is reporting that executive producer Frank Darabont has let go of the show's entire writing staff, including his number 2, Charles H. Eglee (Dexter, The Shield). As Deadline notes, many shows have some writer changes in-between seasons, but it's unusual for such a major overhaul."

That's not a good sign. It could also be a shake-up the show could use to keep things fresh and maybe answer some of the criticism. I'm leaning towards the first one.

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']Walking Dead writing staff let go.

"Deadline is reporting that executive producer Frank Darabont has let go of the show's entire writing staff, including his number 2, Charles H. Eglee (Dexter, The Shield). As Deadline notes, many shows have some writer changes in-between seasons, but it's unusual for such a major overhaul."[/QUOTE]

While it sucks for the writers to lose this opportunity, I am very pleased to hear this. Maybe the new crew can reconcile a lot of the crap that this season has given us and mold something better.

... unless most of what I don't like was from Darabont himself, then I'm likely screwed in this hope...

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']Walking Dead writing staff let go.

"Deadline is reporting that executive producer Frank Darabont has let go of the show's entire writing staff, including his number 2, Charles H. Eglee (Dexter, The Shield). As Deadline notes, many shows have some writer changes in-between seasons, but it's unusual for such a major overhaul."[/QUOTE]

OMFG that is KraZy !!

but hopefully a new writing cast can put more mystery into the series ( mystery meaning stuff like the Lost series) I loved Lost and if they could do stuff like those writers did then I would be a VERY happy camper :D

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']OMFG that is KraZy !!

but hopefully a new writing cast can put more mystery into the series ( mystery meaning stuff like the Lost series) I loved Lost and if they could do stuff like those writers did then I would be a VERY happy camper :D[/QUOTE]

I love Lost to death, but I do not want this to happen. At all.

It's a show about zombies. What kind of mysteries could they possibly do, without seeming corny?

I wonder if this comes as backlash from the drastic changes of last weeks episode? Are the powers at be unhappy with the story direction?

And I have to disagree with wanting to make this like Lost. There's absolutely no reason to write the show into a corner.

Freelance writers worked for Doctor Who, no reason it shouldn't here. I'm not surprised in the least by this, however.

[quote name='Rodimus']I wonder if this comes as backlash from the drastic changes of last weeks episode? Are the powers at be unhappy with the story direction?[/QUOTE]
I don't see this being the case. At least not yet. Last episode actually had more viewers than all of the previous ones. If the finale closes things out with more good ratings then I don't see why they'd care about "backlash". Clearly fans of the comic on CAG and a few other places aren't thrilled with it so far, but if you extend beyond that the show is being received pretty well.

Mmmm...did no one else bother to read the entire article and not just that quote that was posted?

[quote name='IGN']"In addition, Deadline says they hear Darabont wants to go forward into Season 2 without a set writing staff, instead assigning all scripts he doesn't write himself to freelancers. Deadline points out that Darabont fully wrote two episodes of the first season (and co-wrote or re-wrote the others) and that two of the others were written by non-staff writers, including Walking Dead comic book creator Robert Kirkman. They also note that Darabont would be using the same model employed by Torchwood, which has several writers working on episodes for the upcoming re-launch on Starz (including Buffy's Jane Espenson), but no full time writing staff. "[/quote]

While this isn't a common practice, it isn't uncommon for TV shows to use "contract" writers. It helps them save money in the long run. You'll also read that 2 episodes were written by Darabont, 2 were written by non-staff, that leaves 2 written by actual staff.

If you ask me, this is pretty much non-news that may or may not affect the show going forward. More than likely, they'll hire many of the staff that was "fired" on as freelance and contracted writers. This seems more like a budgetary move than an actual quality of work issue.

A buddy of mine was crapping his pants over this show, telling me how awesome it was and how I needed to watch it ASAP. From trailers I'd seen, it looked like just another zombie show.

...And then I watched it. I'm hooked. The acting is great
'cept for that young blonde chick, but she's dead now so ah yeah
, the action is...action-y, you really feel for the characters.

Not really feeling last week's episode, though. The whole CDC thing makes it seem like the show may be taking a sci-fi turn with the facility. Seemed more tense when they were just out in the open, not safe as BALLS in a huge base.

I really like this show so far I have to say. I thought I was over the whole zombie thing at this point but this show has it's hooks in me. I haven't read the comics though, I don't know how I'd feel about the show if I had and they were drastically different. Is that really a bad thing though, if they are different? I mean I'm one of those people who love the Watchmen graphic novel but also enjoyed the movie a lot. One thing doesn't always have to shit on the other one. If the TV show is bad or sub-par does that make the comics somehow less great?

[quote name='cgarb84']I really like this show so far I have to say. I thought I was over the whole zombie thing at this point but this show has it's hooks in me. I haven't read the comics though, I don't know how I'd feel about the show if I had and they were drastically different. Is that really a bad thing though, if they are different? I mean I'm one of those people who love the Watchmen graphic novel but also enjoyed the movie a lot. One thing doesn't always have to shit on the other one. If the TV show is bad or sub-par does that make the comics somehow less great?[/QUOTE]

For me personally, it's like watching a movie adaptation of a book (Well, yeah, it practically is that), and the movie doesn't include a bunch of plot points that the book had. I've never personally read the Walking Dead comic, so I don't know if that's the issue, but that kind of thing always bugged me. Stuff like the Harry Potter books-to-movies is what I mean.

I really don't want to read the comic, as I feel that would happen again. Maybe I'll read it after next week's episode, since that's the last episode of this season, isn't it?

How exactly are zombies able to pinpoint where a gunshot came from when they're miles away?

[quote name='AlphaPanda']For me personally, it's like watching a movie adaptation of a book (Well, yeah, it practically is that), and the movie doesn't include a bunch of plot points that the book had. I've never personally read the Walking Dead comic, so I don't know if that's the issue, but that kind of thing always bugged me. Stuff like the Harry Potter books-to-movies is what I mean.

I really don't want to read the comic, as I feel that would happen again. Maybe I'll read it after next week's episode, since that's the last episode of this season, isn't it?

How exactly are zombies able to pinpoint where a gunshot came from when they're miles away?
[/QUOTE]

They don't exactly pinpoint the location of a gunshot but once everything man-made shuts down the world would get pretty quiet, therefore any sound, especially something as loud as a gunshot, is going to attract the zombies. While they're walking toward the direction of the sound, more than a few are bound to stumble across the source of the sound. If every single zombie had pinpointed the location of the sound the attack on the camp would have been more than a dozen or two, it would have been hundreds, possibly even thousands.

Interestingly enough the first books I would suggest to "prime" yourself for The Walking Dead TV show wouldn't be The Walking Dead comics but rather a couple of books by Max Brooks, World War Z and The Zombie Survival Guide. Especially The Zombie Survival Guide because it kind of sets up the expectations you should have for a world over-run by zombies. Its definitely a humor book, but the depth of analysis is almost to the point of it being a true handbook. Lots of stuff in there you don't normally think about with regard to zombies and how to fight them.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']
They don't exactly pinpoint the location of a gunshot but once everything man-made shuts down the world would get pretty quiet, therefore any sound, especially something as loud as a gunshot, is going to attract the zombies. While they're walking toward the direction of the sound, more than a few are bound to stumble across the source of the sound. If every single zombie had pinpointed the location of the sound the attack on the camp would have been more than a dozen or two, it would have been hundreds, possibly even thousands.

Interestingly enough the first books I would suggest to "prime" yourself for The Walking Dead TV show wouldn't be The Walking Dead comics but rather a couple of books by Max Brooks, World War Z and The Zombie Survival Guide. Especially The Zombie Survival Guide because it kind of sets up the expectations you should have for a world over-run by zombies. Its definitely a humor book, but the depth of analysis is almost to the point of it being a true handbook. Lots of stuff in there you don't normally think about with regard to zombies and how to fight them.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It was pretty accurate. Who would think to destory the stairs so the zombies couldn't get to you.

I read about 1/2 of World War Z and found it very dry and boring. It seems to be from the govt's or general's perspective, and less of a "man on the ground" viewpoint like I was expecting. I was expecting to have it detail the life of survivors making it day to day, but it didn't. It goes into too much politics and other crap I don't care about. It's almost like if Tom Clancy wrote a zombie book or something.

[quote name='2DMention']Agreed. It was pretty accurate. Who would think to destory the stairs so the zombies couldn't get to you.

I read about 1/2 of World War Z and found it very dry and boring. It seems to be from the govt's or general's perspective, and less of a "man on the ground" viewpoint like I was expecting. I was expecting to have it detail the life of survivors making it day to day, but it didn't. It goes into too much politics and other crap I don't care about. It's almost like if Tom Clancy wrote a zombie book or something.[/QUOTE]

Wha? There's no real perspective in that book outside of the fact that its a fictional story where Max Brooks is interviewing people who survived the zombie apocalypse. I read the book when it first came out so it may be awhile, but from what I remember, the book goes out of its way to be pretty gory and grisly with its details and has a lot of "interviews" with soldiers and other people who had to fight for survival.

[quote name='2DMention']Agreed. It was pretty accurate. Who would think to destory the stairs so the zombies couldn't get to you.

I read about 1/2 of World War Z and found it very dry and boring. It seems to be from the govt's or general's perspective, and less of a "man on the ground" viewpoint like I was expecting. I was expecting to have it detail the life of survivors making it day to day, but it didn't. It goes into too much politics and other crap I don't care about. It's almost like if Tom Clancy wrote a zombie book or something.[/QUOTE]

I'll agree with you about the beginning of the book being dry and boring but after you get into it a little bit some of the anecdotes are really interesting. I think you probably quit just before it started to get into the better stories. It is definitely told from a more military type standpoint though.

Another one I still remember along with the stairs is that guns are one of the last weapons you want to grab over a good ol' sword or something along those lines. I still think about that one when I'm watching/reading Walking Dead. Also, with regard to the comic
I think (and its pure speculation on my part) that Kirkman threw in Micchone's fondness for her sword as an homage to The Zombie Survival Guide

.[/QUOTE]

i did. for as long as ive been into zombie stuff i never understood why people didnt do that especially in apt complexes. i loved both of those books.

Lol, I'm done with this show. I just can't fathom how it went from such an awesome opener to pure drama with zombies. I get no sense of struggle anymore from the writing and the acting is so over the top at times I can't help but laugh. I was really hoping for more intense scenes than Rick crying like a little bitch instead of duking it out himself. That 'salvation' scene at the end was retarded.

They need more creative minds behind the writing before I'd ever consider watching this again.

So, I'm a big zombie movie fan, but I'm indecisive about this show. The first episode was kind of boring and didn't really get good until the last few minutes. The later episodes were better but then it started slowing down again. I'm not sure if I'm going to continue watching it though. I have such little time to get invested in a show, so I might as well make it worth it.

For anyone with Sirius, Robert Kirkman will be on GeekTime (Channel 101) tomorrow afternoon, starting at 2PM ET / 1PM CT.

Also, they're reshowing the prior 5 episodes before the season finale on Sunday. Reshow starts at 5:30PM ET / 4:30PM CT.

bread's done
Back