Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

Ace of Diamond spoilers

Yelp, can't say I didn't see it coming. If the series ever does come back I don't think I can handle another 60 episodes of build up just to see the fucking team lose. I know this is common for sports anime, but it's still a let down nonetheless. Also I never liked the mc Eijun. Very annoying and not very likable. I can see Yowapeda going this route, and I really dont want that to happen.

Ace of Diamond spoilers

Yelp, can't say I didn't see it coming. If the series ever does come back I don't think I can handle another 60 episodes of build up just to see the fucking team lose. I know this is common for sports anime, but it's still a let down nonetheless. Also I never liked the mc Eijun. Very annoying and not very likable. I can see Yowapeda going this route, and I really dont want that to happen.
does come back? it's not gone yet, there is still at least 12 more confirmed episodes to air (and the possibility of it being extended again)

does come back? it's not gone yet, there is still at least 12 more confirmed episodes to air (and the possibility of it being extended again)
My bad, you're right. I initially read it would run 60 episodes but got extended to March. Not sure what they're going to cram in the next 12 episodes.

My bad, you're right. I initially read it would run 60 episodes but got extended to March. Not sure what they're going to cram in the next 12 episodes.
yeah... they could have done the game in a fraction of the time and had 20+ eps to do a real next arc.... [SIZE=14.2857141494751px]given how the show has been [/SIZE]
I imagine 10 of the next 12 eps will just be flashbacks to the third years' earlier days and then the last 2 will be the third years moving on.

Working! has been pretty good so far. Probably check out Servant x Servant after I finish this.

What are your guys stances on watching dub/sub. I do both. Of course simulcasts I have no choice but if I'm given the option I'll try out the dub for an episode. I'm just afraid of things being lost in translation especially anime that are heavy into Japanese culture like samurai and ninja stuff. 

Started watching Ouran High Host Club on Netflix. The subtitles are delayed which is really annoying so I switched it over to the dub, which I actually like. Also watching Mushi-Shi dubbed at the moment which is also excellent.

Lastly does anyone else hate DBZ Japanese v/o? I swear our english dub is 150% better.

I started out on dubs, primarily due to cost ($10 cheaper per tape adds up over 13 tapes). With availability being as it is now, I tend to stick with sub. There are quite a few shows I will only watch dubbed though - Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Tenchi to name a few.

Lastly does anyone else hate DBZ Japanese v/o? I swear our english dub is 150% better.
I think it's really a matter of what you prefer and/or what you heard first. For a majority of American viewers, they are going to prefer dub voice for Goku since most of us saw DBZ first. Japanese viewers likely watched Dragonball first. You may notice the same for Naruto and One Piece too as Naruto and Luffy have female voice actors, but our localized version ended up doing the same. Even though all three of these animes had time skips/sequels, the old Japanese voice actors remained. We all know they hit puberty but you gotta admit their performances are always top notch once you finally accept that they have female VA's.

I think DBZ got a little overboard with it since the same person voiced Goku, Gohan, and Goten. I felt it was kind of dumb in the long run to keep it going like that, but I guess it's what the fans over there liked.

As for anime... I'm on episode 5 of Akame ga Kill. It's okay so far and I can see why a lot of people here like it, lol (a girl for every niche so Harem ga Kill. amirite). But the animation is nice and it seems to stay focused on the story so far. I'm starting to look forward to January as Durarara S2 & Tokyo Ghoul S2. Pretty sure the next season of Jojo is hitting soon too.

I think it's really a matter of what you prefer and/or what you heard first. For a majority of American viewers, they are going to prefer dub voice for Goku since most of us saw DBZ first. Japanese viewers likely watched Dragonball first. You may notice the same for Naruto and One Piece too as Naruto and Luffy have female voice actors, but our localized version ended up doing the same. Even though all three of these animes had time skips/sequels, the old Japanese voice actors remained. We all know they hit puberty but you gotta admit their performances are always top notch once you finally accept that they have female VA's.

I think DBZ got a little overboard with it since the same person voiced Goku, Gohan, and Goten. I felt it was kind of dumb in the long run to keep it going like that, but I guess it's what the fans over there liked.

As for anime... I'm on episode 5 of Akame ga Kill. It's okay so far and I can see why a lot of people here like it, lol (a girl for every niche so Harem ga Kill. amirite). But the animation is nice and it seems to stay focused on the story so far. I'm starting to look forward to January as Durarara S2 & Tokyo Ghoul S2. Pretty sure the next season of Jojo is hitting soon too.
yeah next season of jojo is hitting soon. akame ga kill is very deceiving. i can assure it is no harem, or romance of any sort. just don't read the manga akame ga kill, if you plan to watch the anime. the anime totally ruined for me.

for january, i am looking forward to tokyo ghoul, aldnoah zero, kantai collection: kancolle ( similar to Arpeggio of Blue Steel), Assassination Classroom ( i read the ,manga), death parade ( same studio who made parayste). Kuroko's Basketball, Yoru no Yatterman, and dog days 3, Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend

i am also glad to hear Gate: Thus the JSDF Fought Ther, and Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches is getting a tv anime adaptation

Last edited by a moderator:
I watch subbed 99% of the time, the 1% was the stuff aired on TV in the states.

Part of the thing I hate about dubs is boys having the voice of a 40-year old dude.

Working! has been pretty good so far. Probably check out Servant x Servant after I finish this.

What are your guys stances on watching dub/sub. I do both. Of course simulcasts I have no choice but if I'm given the option I'll try out the dub for an episode. I'm just afraid of things being lost in translation especially anime that are heavy into Japanese culture like samurai and ninja stuff.

Started watching Ouran High Host Club on Netflix. The subtitles are delayed which is really annoying so I switched it over to the dub, which I actually like. Also watching Mushi-Shi dubbed at the moment which is also excellent.

It doesn't matter much to me dub vs sub, but if I have the option of a dub I will typically watch that. As for stuff getting lost in translation... well I don't worry about that at all was while I have the dub running I have the japanese translation going (which can get awkward at times but most of the time follows fairly well)

as for DBZ japanese it's one of the few anime I can't watch in japanese at all. I can watch dragonball in japanese without much issue but DBZ is terrible.

while what I hear first can cause a preference, I have an extreme hate for the dbz japanese version because of the goku voice. While yes naruto and one piece also had a time skip and kept the same VA, at the same time both characters from the start sounded more like boys, and were older. In dragon ball's case goku started out as a really little kid so having a girly sounding character was fine, but after the time jump when it was shown the VA couldn't remotely sound like a guy, she needed to be replaced. I mean goku's voice sounds like one of the joke characters from one piece since her voice work fits so poorly for a guy. I really wish she had retired completely from anime and had refused to come back for dbz kai as I would like to have been able to watch that as it airs, but since stabbing my ear with a butter knife repeatedly sounds more appealing then listening to her terrible goku voice I can't watch it subbed thus I have to wait for funimations super slow dubs :/

^ I think Goku's Japanese VA does have a very distinctive voice but her voice isn't the worst I've heard. You ever try watching Soul Eater subbed? Maka's voice takes time to get used to but then when Black Star comes in his voice will make your ears bleed. 

Also, my comment about Akame ga Kill was mostly a joke. I'm starting to see while it's sucking in the typical tropes that it likes to deceive you on what it is sometimes. Like how it can be lighthearted for a majority of an episode then get dark out of nowhere.

Soul Eater had a good dub; that was another one I watched that way. I can't recall why at the moment.

I'm in the minority on this one, but I can't stand Kenshin's JP VA. I much prefer the dub on that series.

I usually stick with dubs as long as they don't sound like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJLzftaWN9o

It's not even funny bad,and I find it hilarious that Wendee Lee was the ADR director on this.

yeah next season of jojo is hitting soon. akame ga kill is very deceiving. i can assure it is no harem, or romance of any sort. just don't read the manga akame ga kill, if you plan to watch the anime. the anime totally ruined for me.
The manga is all kinds of f***ed up. I'm glad they made the anime a "diet" version. I made the mistake of reading a synopsis of the manga and it left a nasty scar on the series. Kinda like Usagi Drop, just let the anime be the anime and leave it at that.

But how can you say there's no harem/romance? It's not a big part of the show but it's definitely there, especially near the later half.

The manga is all kinds of f***ed up. I'm glad they made the anime a "diet" version. I made the mistake of reading a synopsis of the manga and it left a nasty scar on the series. Kinda like Usagi Drop, just let the anime be the anime and leave it at that.

But how can you say there's no harem/romance? It's not a big part of the show but it's definitely there, especially near the later half.
usagi drop, is even worst with the manga. well it is mostly one way in terms of romance, LOL with that girl

^ I think Goku's Japanese VA does have a very distinctive voice but her voice isn't the worst I've heard. You ever try watching Soul Eater subbed? Maka's voice takes time to get used to but then when Black Star comes in his voice will make your ears bleed.

Also, my comment about Akame ga Kill was mostly a joke. I'm starting to see while it's sucking in the typical tropes that it likes to deceive you on what it is sometimes. Like how it can be lighthearted for a majority of an episode then get dark out of nowhere.
I watched soul eater as it aired, japanese was fine way better than dbz. it's not that I think that goku's VA (Masako Nozawa) is a bad VA in general, just very very very very horrible as goku's voice. I mean she was fun as Kureha "Doctorine" Doctor in One Piece. It's just a case of the voice not remotely fitting the character, and there isn't a good reason why as it clearly only happened because they didn't want to change voice actors despite the large jump in time and change from a boy to a man. I mean imagine if Darth Vader sounded like he did when he was 8 years old... it's just wrong @_@

In her defense though... even though she is 78 years old... she could still likely kick some ass though

ed170c493f.jpg
As you know she is like Roshi and could power up and strike down evil.

Soul Eater had a good dub; that was another one I watched that way. I can't recall why at the moment.

I'm in the minority on this one, but I can't stand Kenshin's JP VA. I much prefer the dub on that series.
I'm with you with kenshin, I can't watch it in japanese because kenshin's VA is bad and doesn't fit very well (to feminine, he is a somewhat girly guy at times, not a guy trying to be a girl) to be fair in that case it's a damned if you do and damned if you don't as the quality of the english dub isn't great either. I really would just like to see kenshin get a new anime like hunter x hunter and get a new dub for both japanese and english.

Oh, you people. Thinking the Love Hina dub is bad. No, there are far, far worse dubs, the most infamous being...Garzey's Wing!

http://youtu.be/NWru5o07j_I

So what's everyone's favorite and most disapointing anime of 2014?

My favorite is probably Barakamon. This one had a constant smile on my face. The realationship between Handa(Sensei) and Naru is heartwarming. I really wanted more. I even loved the op and ending themes.

Most disapointing has to go to Sword Art Online 2. I know there's not much love for it here but I did enjoy the first season. SAO2 started very strong and just completly fell apart halfway. I felt like I was forcing myself to watch it and that's never a good thing.

So what's everyone's favorite and most disapointing anime of 2014?

My favorite is probably Barakamon. This one had a constant smile on my face. The realationship between Handa(Sensei) and Naru is heartwarming. I really wanted more. I even loved the op and ending themes.

Most disapointing has to go to Sword Art Online 2. I know there's not much love for it here but I did enjoy the first season. SAO2 started very strong and just completly fell apart halfway. I felt like I was forcing myself to watch it and that's never a good thing.
my favorite would be no game no life, only show from 2014 I could see myself rewatching multiple times in the next 5 years.

most disappointing is easily terror in resonance. Given the people behind it and the setting I had high hopes for it, but then it did a terrible job in most ways, but the biggest one was with the female characters. It could have made a decent movie but the inclusion of Five basically ruined the series and just lengthened something to much longer than it needed to be (there are ways to fix her but the way they went about it was just terrible and she is easily top 10 worst female characters of all time for me) That all being said... I still might pick it up when it is cheap, because while it was a huge disappointment and parts were just terrible, the soundtrack wasn't bad and it had a few fun scenes and is far from the worst show I watched last year.

my favorite would be no game no life, only show from 2014 I could see myself rewatching multiple times in the next 5 years.

most disappointing is easily terror in resonance. Given the people behind it and the setting I had high hopes for it, but then it did a terrible job in most ways, but the biggest one was with the female characters. It could have made a decent movie but the inclusion of Five basically ruined the series and just lengthened something to much longer than it needed to be (there are ways to fix her but the way they went about it was just terrible and she is easily top 10 worst female characters of all time for me) That all being said... I still might pick it up when it is cheap, because while it was a huge disappointment and parts were just terrible, the soundtrack wasn't bad and it had a few fun scenes and is far from the worst show I watched last year.
lol, i enjoyed no game no life too. i thoguht terror in resonance was good. my biggest disappointment was black bullets. it was an train wreck

I really don't watch anime as it airs anymore but I gotta feeling if I did it sounds it would have been Psycho Pass S2. Is that done airing yet? I'm probably going to marathon here soon and I hope that I'm not too disappointed. 

Also, Happy new year, guys!

I really don't watch anime as it airs anymore but I gotta feeling if I did it sounds it would have been Psycho Pass S2. Is that done airing yet? I'm probably going to marathon here soon and I hope that I'm not too disappointed.

Also, Happy new year, guys!
yes, it is done airing

I watched a couple episodes of Terror in Resonance and thought it was incredibly boring. Glad I dropped that one.

No Game On Life was a lot of fun. I've just never gotten used to the brother/sister trope. Also since it ended this year so I have to mention Hunter x Hunter. The Chimera Ant arc was both the best and worst arc in the series. There were a couple episodes that I swear were 90% narrated which was pointless and annoying as hell. But the end fights (especially Gon going Super Saiyan) was some of the best stuff ever.

Also I'll mention Nobunaga Concerto. The style seemed awkward and it ended kinda weak, but still it was a great watch. My wife is watching the live action drama now. I guess it's a big deal in Japan.

Other disappoints were Terraformers & Persona 4 the Golden.

Favorite would be Space Dandy with Soul Eater being a close second. Dandy's worst episodes were still not that bad and to me Soul Eater was like an improved version of Bleach. 

Most disappointing by far is Black Lagoon. The main characters were very unlikeable and it tried too hard to promote shock value - especially with the foul language. It would have been better if they focused on the one shot characters and others who made occasional appearances like Roberta since they, IMO, had more depth.  Ironically, Adult Swim aired a better series soon after Lagoon ended that improved on these things in every way - it was called Hellsing.

Runner-up would be between Sword Art Online and Blue Exorcist. I'm not an MMO fan so I'm sure there are elements in SAO that I don't understand that made it bad for me (although I enjoyed .hack//sign) and Blue Exorcist was just so generic. 

They do share one common theme though: Both shows had adults who stood around and did nothing.

persona 4 is over hyped. way better anime, and games out there
Persona 4 itself is actually a great game. The first anime more or less followed the game's story (and some side stuff). The game spin offs on the other hand were more or less cash-ins but ended up being fairly good on their own. If you do anything P4, just do the original PS2 game from PSN or the Vita version if you have one. Dive into the rest of it if you liked the game.

EDIT: Rodimus, funny that you asked what everyone's favorite and least favorite anime was as /r Anime on Reddit just revealed their Best of 2014 survey results from the Fall season. Fate/Stay Night UBW tops a good bit of the categories. No Game No Life was their favorite anime of 2014. More results here: http://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/2r1fbw/ranime_2014_survey_results/

Thanks for the survey. Nice to see Barakamon take 5th in AOTY. And pleasantly surprised to see Monthly Girls: Nozaki-Kun rank so high at 4th. But damn, I need to get into Fate/Stay.

Persona 4 is one of my favorite JRPGs ever. Defiantly in my top 5. It's all relative so there's little point in saying there's something better out there. I enjoyed the original Persona anime but didn't touch any of the cash-ins besides that. Although I hear Arena is a deep, technical fighter enjoyed by elites.

^ Arena is a lot of fun but for guys like me that barely has the patience or time for visual novel like stories, it really gets old. The actual game play on the other hand is a ton of fun. Arc System Works did wonders with that game.

As for likely the last P4 cash-in, P4 Dancing All Night (Vita) will probably be something I get on sale since I have no idea on how that could be a good game (P4 has some decent music but I doubt any of us can boogie much to that engrish. It is catchy though...).  I'm always open to surprises since Arena and Persona Q were good games. 

Back on the topic, Fate/Stay Night UBW is pretty good. A tad more fanserivcey than Fate/Zero but animation-wise it's really top notch. It's making me forget about the original series since it's so much better. 

^ Arena is a lot of fun but for guys like me that barely has the patience or time for visual novel like stories, it really gets old. The actual game play on the other hand is a ton of fun. Arc System Works did wonders with that game.

As for likely the last P4 cash-in, P4 Dancing All Night (Vita) will probably be something I get on sale since I have no idea on how that could be a good game (P4 has some decent music but I doubt any of us can boogie much to that engrish. It is catchy though...). I'm always open to surprises since Arena and Persona Q were good games.

Back on the topic, Fate/Stay Night UBW is pretty good. A tad more fanserivcey than Fate/Zero but animation-wise it's really top notch. It's making me forget about the original series since it's so much better.
i am surprised to see amagi brilliant park rank so high, then Shingeki no Bahmut, and aldnoah zero is behind it

2ch posted their list of the top 50 of 2014.

Barakamon made it on top, followed by Ping Pong and Nozaki. Not bad. But JoJo was kinda low at #21. No Game No Life got #25.

Top 50:
1.Barakamon
2.Ping Pong
3.Nozaki
4.Kill la Kill
5.FSN UBW
6.Yama no Susume 2
7.Locodol
8.Aldnoah Zero
9.Sidonia
10.Usagi
11.Love Live 2
12.Wake up, girls
13.Bahamut genesis
14.Mushishi
15.Yuuki Yuuna
16.Mikakunin de Shinkokei
17.Nagi no Asukara
18.Space Dandy 
19.Psycho-Pass 2
20.Mahouka
21.JoJo
22.Sabagebu!
23.Hanayamata
24.Nisekoi
25.No game No life
26.Gundam BF
27.Gokukoku no Brynhildr 
28.Space Dandy 2
29.Amagi
30.SAO2
31.Akuma no Riddle
32.Witch Craft Works
33.Haikyuu!!
34.Sakura trick
35.selector infected WIXOSS
36.Log Horizon
37.Hitsugi no Chaika
38.Saki: Zenkoku-hen
39.Buddy Complex
40.Uchuu Kyoudai
41.Silver Spoon
42.Nourin
43.Isshuukan Friends
44.Sora no Method
45.Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren
46.Kenzen Robo Daimidaler
46.Glasslip(wat)
48.Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii
49.Nobunaga Concerto
50.Shounen Hollywood

For the life of me I can not identify who this character is or what show it's from.  I'm thinking mid 90s...  Familiar to anyone?

It looks so familiar and it's driving me nuts.

unk_zpsbaf02b03.jpg

Can't believe Glasslip made the list. Once it was reveled the sister has the hots for her brother I bailed. I swear to god I hate that trope more than any other. It literary kills any anime I'm watching.

Every episode of Mushi-shi has been golden. It's a shame I only have a few more left. I'm watching the dub version and Ginko's voice sounds so familiar. I looked it up and found the connection. Same guy does the voice for Ring Roland in a Disney Jr. show called Sofia the First. It's one of  my daughters favorite shows. We've probably seen every episode at least 5 times so it's been bugging the hell out of me.

Started up a couple new anime. DENKI-GAI, Servant x Service & My Little Monster. I'm only a few episodes in for each but Little Monster is my favorite so far. And finished up Working!!. Looking forward to a 3rd season with Sato getting friend zoned again.

And I can't wait for the Winter 15' season to start. What's everyone looking forward to? For me it's Jojo goes to Egypt, Assassination Classroom, Death Parade, Kuroko Basketball 3, & Tokyo Ghoul.

Every episode of Mushi-shi has been golden. It's a shame I only have a few more left. I'm watching the dub version and Ginko's voice sounds so familiar. I looked it up and found the connection. Same guy does the voice for Ring Roland in a Disney Jr. show called Sofia the First. It's one of my daughters favorite shows. We've probably seen every episode at least 5 times so it's been bugging the hell out of me.

Started up a couple new anime. DENKI-GAI, Servant x Service & My Little Monster. I'm only a few episodes in for each but Little Monster is my favorite so far. And finished up Working!!. Looking forward to a 3rd season with Sato getting friend zoned again.

And I can't wait for the Winter 15' season to start. What's everyone looking forward to? For me it's Jojo goes to Egypt, Assassination Classroom, Death Parade, Kuroko Basketball 3, & Tokyo Ghoul.
Every episode of Mushi-shi has been golden. It's a shame I only have a few more left. I'm watching the dub version and Ginko's voice sounds so familiar. I looked it up and found the connection. Same guy does the voice for Ring Roland in a Disney Jr. show called Sofia the First. It's one of my daughters favorite shows. We've probably seen every episode at least 5 times so it's been bugging the hell out of me.

the ones you listed, plus aldnoah zero s2, dog days"'. absolute duo, AND ROLLING GIRLS

my niece loves sofia, she also love doc mcstuffins and steve bllum is in a couple of episodes

bread's done
Back