Artbook included with Xenoblade Chronicles pre-order

I find it unfair that people have been able to get the book and some people have not. Does this always happen with store preorders?

I preordered in store about 4-5 weeks ago. Picked up my copy during my lunch break today. I didn't even ask for the art book but they pulled one out of a box and gave it to me with my copy.

No hassle or trying to get me to preorder the Last Story or anything either (although that might be because I know a few of the employees and the manager because we work in the same shopping center).

Some stores, like mine, misplaced the second box that was filled with the art books, but found it a few hours later.

I'm at PAX this weekend, so I am sure Gamestop will screw me over again and not give me the artbook when I get it on monday as they always do. we shall see.

[quote name='Nintendonly']Some stores, like mine, misplaced the second box that was filled with the art books, but found it a few hours later.[/QUOTE]

Mine did not receive their shipment until later today. I had a question for everyone who has the PAL version: Are you going to open the NTSC version?

I think what really bothers me with these "bonuses" is the very inconsistent way it is shipped. Some Gamestops get 25, some supposedly get 3, and others get like 7. No consistency.

The employees in my local Gamestops seem decent enough, but only one ever seems to treat their customers decently well with their policies. They tend to give out pre-order bonuses when you pre-order as opposed to having to wait until release day (when you're more likely to get screwed over because of lack of quantity).

Got mine from overnight shipping with Artbook. Didn't expect that.

It's on the bay now. LOL! The prices for the artbook are going between $20-$50. I don't need embossed glossy paper sitting in storage.

[quote name='mweav067']I think what really bothers me with these "bonuses" is the very inconsistent way it is shipped. Some Gamestops get 25, some supposedly get 3, and others get like 7. No consistency.

The employees in my local Gamestops seem decent enough, but only one ever seems to treat their customers decently well with their policies. They tend to give out pre-order bonuses when you pre-order as opposed to having to wait until release day (when you're more likely to get screwed over because of lack of quantity).[/QUOTE]

It is depended on number of people who preorder on time.

[quote name='ZeroFlame15']Why cant Gamestop give enough shipment of the book for everyone who preordered?[/QUOTE]

Because they're cheap Gamestop.

So I pre-ordered Xenoblade the first week possible, walked in today and they didn't have any art books left, despite having called a few hours prior to confirm they wouldn't give away my art book.

So lame. Anyone able to get an extra book? I'd buy it off ya? I can post my receipt too to show that I didn't get it. GS sucks sometimes :(

[quote name='SkyMasterson']So I pre-ordered Xenoblade the first week possible, walked in today and they didn't have any art books left, despite having called a few hours prior to confirm they wouldn't give away my art book.

So lame. Anyone able to get an extra book? I'd buy it off ya? I can post my receipt too to show that I didn't get it. GS sucks sometimes :([/QUOTE]
well if that's an issue i can try to purchase the game and artbook together if my store has any extras, no point in keeping ur preorder if they screwed you over on it

I love the inconsistency with how these were treated. I went into Gamestop yesterday to pick up my pre-order (from several weeks ago), and there was no mention of a bonus. I of course asked about the artbook and the guy says "ohhh yeah, I forgot about that" and hands me one. I guess I could be wrong, but my read on the situation was that he didn't really "forget" about it but wasn't going to go out of his way to give them out.

Experience, and anecdotes from both this thread and other places, tell me that gamestop employees probably gave out some of these to people who shouldn't have gotten them, "misplaced" some of them, or even kept some for personal use (and yes, I know this happens a LOT at various stores - it is even allowed by management of certain stores with regard to preorder bonuses, promotional materials, etc.).

The bottom line for me is - this amazing game made it over here in the USA, and despite issues with limited availability and preorder bonus shenanigans, I'm still extremely excited for the game, and so I hope those who didn't get the artbook won't be too upset, but it definitely isn't 'fair.' I feel bad for all those who deserved one but didn't get it.

yah i got two different stores by me. one is preorders by time of preorder date get them which i love. the other store is well if they dont remember we can keep them ourselves. luckily they both know me so it worked out. i got two copies of the game and two artbooks both in like new condition. one store handed me an artbook that was demolished but since i was the first to pick up i got a better one.

I picked up my copy yesterday. The guy at gamestop remembered the artbook without me mentioning it. It's pretty neat for a free bonus but not really much more than that. I think it's about the same length as the Catherine artbook but made with better materials.

The game itself is pretty awesome.

ordered mine online right before the artbook cutoff. chose the value shipping method. it shipped on thursday and i got it today.

i dont shop at gamestop very often anymore. selling used/open games as new is the main reason. but ive had my fair share of not getting preorder bonuses instore (ive never had the problem when ordering online) as well

but i gotta give credit when it's due. they hit it out of the park with this transaction

[quote name='sadikyo']I love the inconsistency with how these were treated. I went into Gamestop yesterday to pick up my pre-order (from several weeks ago), and there was no mention of a bonus. I of course asked about the artbook and the guy says "ohhh yeah, I forgot about that" and hands me one. I guess I could be wrong, but my read on the situation was that he didn't really "forget" about it but wasn't going to go out of his way to give them out.

Experience, and anecdotes from both this thread and other places, tell me that gamestop employees probably gave out some of these to people who shouldn't have gotten them, "misplaced" some of them, or even kept some for personal use (and yes, I know this happens a LOT at various stores - it is even allowed by management of certain stores with regard to preorder bonuses, promotional materials, etc.).

The bottom line for me is - this amazing game made it over here in the USA, and despite issues with limited availability and preorder bonus shenanigans, I'm still extremely excited for the game, and so I hope those who didn't get the artbook won't be too upset, but it definitely isn't 'fair.' I feel bad for all those who deserved one but didn't get it.[/QUOTE]

Which, overall, seems typical of Gamestop franchises. So, try to support the ones that treat you right and let the others rot. Also, fill out their survey if they don't treat you right. May not do any good ultimately, but there are stores where those surveys seem to be important.

Personally, I had no problem getting my free artbook from Gamestop. For the most part, I have no problems with the GSs in my area (except for the one with the "missing games" problem, which I don't go to anymore.)

I expected not to get the book or have to argue about it, because the store I had preordered at closed & they transferred my preorder to another one I usually have trouble with. But to my surprise he asked me if I had it already, I told him no and he pulled it out & put it in the bag. :)

According to my order tracking, my copy went through the local processing center last night. That generally means I should get it today, so hopefully my art book is in there.

I ordered a classic controller pro from Amazon 5 days ago with free shipping (my student prime finally expired) and it is still suck in shipping soon, so it looks like I wont be playing until next week :whistle2:(.

[quote name='groundskeeper']
The best was when I got a "New" DS game from GS gutted that had a save profile on it.
[/QUOTE]

That's because when they gut a copy of game (for display purposes), the employees are allowed to check out the gutted games. I know because I worked there. It's not really great for customers, but the employees sure do like checking out games for free.

As for me, I made a no cash down pre-order online at GS on Feb 26th, paid off my pre-order earlier this week on Tuesday, then found out about the art book online the next day. I called the GS, and asked them to check if I would get the artbook, they said I did pre-order during the proper range, and I would get it. Came to the store, and I got it. They had about 10 of them in the drawer.

Unrelatedly, awesome game. The art book is nice for something free, but not worth cancelling a pre-order. Hope you guys are loving the game like me. Eager to get back home to play it.

Still a pretty artbook. Could be bigger and/or hardbound. But I really like it, and am surprised it became a freebie. No reason for Gstop to throw in a freebie on an exclusive game, so I'm very surprised and pleased.

[quote name='blindinglights']According to my order tracking, my copy went through the local processing center last night. That generally means I should get it today, so hopefully my art book is in there.

I ordered a classic controller pro from Amazon 5 days ago with free shipping (my student prime finally expired) and it is still suck in shipping soon, so it looks like I wont be playing until next week :whistle2:(.[/QUOTE]

why? is the classic controller necessary?

[quote name='havuk']why? is the classic controller necessary?[/QUOTE]

As I recall, it is not. It just offers a different alternative for playing.

The GameStop I went to, the guy knows who I am since I went in 2 times in the past 2 weeks and he's been there. He said only 8 people pre-ordered and said his manager probably won't get the art book because they only sent 8 of them.

I'm actually surprised to see some people say it's a cheap/crappy artbook. It's short yeah, but the quality is amazing. I have the official artbook and even the print quality on that isn't as nice as it is here... nice stock paper and the colors are incredibly vibrant. For such a limited release, I'm glad to get something for it.

[quote name='Vinny']I'm actually surprised to see some people say it's a cheap/crappy artbook. It's short yeah, but the quality is amazing. I have the official artbook and even the print quality on that isn't as nice as it is here... nice stock paper and the colors are incredibly vibrant. For such a limited release, I'm glad to get something for it.[/QUOTE]

That is why i want it. Stupid Gamestop! For not giving me the artbook.

Went to my GameStop three days ago to ask about the artbook and the employee said sorry, your order does not come with an artbook. I was like whatever and cancelled the preorder. Went in today only to see the same employee tell me that they had enough artbook for all preorders and that someone got the one I cancelled...

[quote name='TotalHenshin']That's because when they gut a copy of game (for display purposes), the employees are allowed to check out the gutted games. I know because I worked there. It's not really great for customers, but the employees sure do like checking out games for free.

As for me, I made a no cash down pre-order online at GS on Feb 26th, paid off my pre-order earlier this week on Tuesday, then found out about the art book online the next day. I called the GS, and asked them to check if I would get the artbook, they said I did pre-order during the proper range, and I would get it. Came to the store, and I got it. They had about 10 of them in the drawer.

Unrelatedly, awesome game. The art book is nice for something free, but not worth cancelling a pre-order. Hope you guys are loving the game like me. Eager to get back home to play it.[/QUOTE]

I still don't understand how they are allowed to get away with this, from a legal standpoint. It would seem like you can't sell something as "New" when it is used. It is like selling a brand new phone that has made phone calls, or a new camera that has pictures on it - it is false advertising. I'm sure corporate would just say that their policy is not to use the games, but whatever...any way you cut it, that's just a downright shady practice if you ask me.

[quote name='Waynetid']Went to my GameStop three days ago to ask about the artbook and the employee said sorry, your order does not come with an artbook. I was like whatever and cancelled the preorder. Went in today only to see the same employee tell me that they had enough artbook for all preorders and that someone got the one I cancelled...[/QUOTE]

In a civilized society, that's grounds for a swift kick to the throat. What a douche.

I'm heading out to pick up my preorder. This should be interesting. :whistle2:|

So I hear you guys on the inconsistency thing. At least where I live there are about 15 gamestops within a few miles. Maybe we should just be avoiding the bad ones and heading to the good ones? In more than one place in Dallas there are two gamestops within 1/2 a mile of each other.

[quote name='Vinny']I'm actually surprised to see some people say it's a cheap/crappy artbook. It's short yeah, but the quality is amazing. I have the official artbook and even the print quality on that isn't as nice as it is here... nice stock paper and the colors are incredibly vibrant. For such a limited release, I'm glad to get something for it.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I was actually surprised the quality is as good as it is. Nice thick, glossy paper - feels very well made. I've had some cheap crappy artbook freebies before, and this isn't one.

Just got me art book in, and I agree with what some others have previously said. The art book is not as cheap as it might look in pictures. Very impressive for a bonus.

I can't believe I forgot to preorder this... I just ordered two copies online (used code DRONGO for $10 off $79.99 though, so I made out a little).

Is there any chance in hell of getting that artbook in store without the preorder?

For the "quite a bit" of preorders my store made, they only got three artbooks in. Still, secured mine.

I echo the art book sentiments- short, but very sweet.

Online pre-order showed up today, pretty good time for value shipping. Art book was inside, corner has a little wear probably from packaging but nothing serious.

[quote name='exaznkid']well if that's an issue i can try to purchase the game and artbook together if my store has any extras, no point in keeping ur preorder if they screwed you over on it[/QUOTE]

I really appreciate the offer, but I'll probably just stick to what i have now. I did ask the employee for a discount on the game since they didn't fulfill the bonus ($5 off). I should have said $10 off and would have been happy but whatever. If anyone who has one doesn't want theirs and has an extra one, please let me know!

picked mine up today. No artbook though, but the GS employee went out of his way to try to help me. So in the end i was still pretty happy.

[quote name='Stele']What do you people do with artbooks after you looked at them?[/QUOTE]

I put everything artbook wise on one shelf, near my shelves of games. Got my shipment in today, everything in great shape, and artbook is very well done.

[quote name='Stele']What do you people do with artbooks after you looked at them?[/QUOTE]

Sell them on eBay for profit?

they were out of artbooks by the time i got there after work. oh well. i'm just happy i have the game. it's been a long journey. lol

The only thing I see when I look at this art book is the crease running down the last page because it folded over in the packaging. The paper stock is so thick that the page pretty much "snapped" along the fold.

I emailed gamestop.com about my situation where I preordered from the site for pickup in store and how the copies of the book where only available to the people who preorder instore and they said they would send me a copy of the artbook. Now I am not as mad anymore.

[quote name='ZeroFlame15']I emailed gamestop.com about my situation where I preordered from the site for pickup in store and how the copies of the book where only available to the people who preorder instore and they said they would send me a copy of the artbook. Now I am not as mad anymore.[/QUOTE]

doesnt make sense, no where on the page did it ever say "only for in-store preorders"
what a bunch of horse hockey!

[quote name='11440']The only thing I see when I look at this art book is the crease running down the last page because it folded over in the packaging. The paper stock is so thick that the page pretty much "snapped" along the fold.[/QUOTE]

OUCH! Sorry man that's rough. Mine came with a few creases on the edges but nothing that major. They really didn't package these very well at all.

I had a pretty good experience at my store. When I missed the preorder deadline the guy who took it told they'd get 1-2 extra books and that chances would be decent that I'd get one. When I came in yesterday, the cashier got the book for me without asking me and even showed me her favorite page in the artbook. I can always sympathize with all my fellow CAGs for all their terrible experiences at Gamestop but I haven't had one yet.

With regards to the artbook, I can agree that it is essentially a really nice pamphlet. The paper quality is very nice (easy to get fingerprints on though) and has the outlines of the characters pressed out. It's nice but hardly essential.

bread's done
Back