Bioshock Infinite Announced

[quote name='Salamando3000']Went through youtube and listened to the Voxophones I missed...
Lady Lutece stated that Comstock tampered with their device and scattered them to "the possibility space". Sounds like the Dr. Manhattan analogy earlier was more apt than not. It wasn't just their exposure to these tears that rendered them near-gods, but an accident inside the machine responsible for those tears.

But still, there almost has to be multiple sets of them. In-game, there's at least, what, seven Elizabeth's/Anna's (six at end-game, and then old one), which implies seven Columbia's, each having to have been set aloft by quantum particles. Given their regret that the Elizabeth from their timeline would bathe the world in fire, I doubt they'd double back and set all other Columbias in motion.
[/QUOTE]
WOOO! Called it! That was one of the very few Voxaphones I missed.

Just bet the game, I was seriously loving it.
Until the ending. Not that it was bad or anything but dear god it felt like a ripped off Dr. Who plot. I was going through it was like wait, I watched Dr. Who episodes dealing with almost the same premises.

I don’t know… I just wasn’t blown away. It certainly isn’t a bad game, but I just didn’t enjoy it as much as everyone else seems to. I put everything in spoiler tags for ease-of-reading, but keep in mind the last two do actually discuss spoilers.

Art Style
The world itself is quite amazing…. there are so many distinct looks and such a great art style, I really can’t wait until my art book arrives this week. As awesome as it was though, I can’t help but have one silly nitpick: the original idea behind Bioshock was still quite outlandish, but Rapture at least seemed like a city that was built to be in the ocean. Alot of the set-pieces in BI didn't really give me that feeling. The deco is still quite amazing, but really when I think "giant air city" I don't really consider giant water-filled churches lined with thousands of candles.

Gameplay
I was never a fan of the original Bioshock’s gameplay because it was too cramped and chaotic, but I was really intrigued by the gameplay demos. The combat was open and seemed to imply that all sorts of dynamic cinematic gameplay moments could emerge from one encounter (i.e. if you shot the guy before he fired off the warning rocket, you would have never have gone on that amazing skyline sequence to take down that huge blimp, or perhaps if an enemy would get free he would escape on a skyline and take up a turrent on another floating segment hundreds of yards away). Then a few months ago I found out in an article that, no, that's not quite how the game is going to be. Sure enough, the game never lives up to that level of interactivity... I mean, I guess it’s there in the sense that in the quieter moments you can walk around with Elizabeth and interact with objects or watch her sit on benches or lean against walls etc. but that’s not quite what I was looking for. The occasional open Skyline arenas were quite fun, but it was mostly more of what we had in the original Bioshock: both you and your enemies just throwing as much shit as they can at each other until one side falls.

The Ending (SPOILERS!)
The whole business about tears and alternate dimensions has been common knowledge for a while now thanks to the various videos (even the game's title and artwork paying homage to "Days of Future Past" were some subtle giveaways). Although I didn’t necessarily know what direction they would take it, I was definitely expecting something more than the typical comic-book “reality-jumping through multiple worlds/multiple scenarios" kinda story. The way everything centered around Booker was moderately unique (his character basically screamed "redeeming sacrifice" throughout the game), but it just didn't really grip me. If there is one thing that the infinite universes angle does well, it is creating an infinite amount of interpretations from people on how infinite universes work.

Some nitpicky stuff about the plot... (SPOILERS!)
If you are trying to get through the city unnoticed, and you see a sign warning of the "false shepard" with AD written on their hand... maybe try covering up the AD on your own hand? Elizabeth and Booker's initial foray into the tears also didn't seem to make much sense... they seemed to know there would be some big risks of entering new worlds, was it really worth it just to find the weapon-maker? Not much later, Booker destroys an enemy blimp so that he can... find Daisy and get access to a blimp? Did I miss something in there that specified why the needed the First Lady instead of the myriad of other flying machines out there?

At first I didn't mind that the core ideas of Bioshock Infinite were so similar to the original Bioshock ("how about we put it in the sky this time?") because I thought there would be a new great story and characters... unfortunately I don't feel that either of these lived up to the original. Columbia doesn't quite carry the same intriguing backstory that Rapture did, we don't really learn about the warped ideals that shaped Comstock's villainy like we did with Ryan (even when we get the chance, it just sorta tells us "after this event he becomes evil", and the game's big twist isn't quite as nuanced as it was in the original. Like I said, certainly not a bad game, but definitely not what I thought it would be either. Maybe it's just impossible to live up to the expectations of the original.

[quote name='slickkill77']Wow....Spoiler alert kind of....Only watch if you've beaten the game. Turn your speakers up and listen at the 14 second mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qpmvkZ6TIMk#t=13s[/QUOTE]

Sound repeats itself near the end of the clip, around 1:26 or so. Could be planned, could be coincidence. Either way, now that it's been brought up, won't be long for someone to go through sounds files to verify.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Sound repeats itself near the end of the clip, around 1:26 or so. Could be planned, could be coincidence. Either way, now that it's been brought up, won't be long for someone to go through sounds files to verify.[/QUOTE]

Even if its not
songbird dying
its still a very cool possibility and weird coincidence

That's the coolest shit ever.

Edit: Looks like it's not in some other versions of the video. Kinda want to go back to check myself. I'm totally playing B1 again after this anyway. I WANT TO BELIEVE.

Last edited by a moderator:
That post-credits tag kind of changes the tone of the ending. Make sure you sit through the credits if you haven't already, because a lot of people I've seen try to "explain" what happens in the ending seem like they might've missed it.
To me, it suggests that Booker was able to eliminate Comstock from ever coming into existence since that "version" of him drowned. At least it puts a somewhat positive spin on what happens.

Overall I liked it, but I wasn't as blown away as some have been. The first half of the game, or maybe the first 2/3, really had me going, but I kind of became exhausted by the time you get to the latter sections.
Particularly the Lady Comstock ghost sections...felt like one too many. I also felt they blew an opportunity with the weird "tears" bringing in, say, music from the present day. They never really did anything with it and should have.

That said, the art design, attention to detail -- all of that -- is pretty spectacular. Not sure I'll go through it again, but it's certainly worth one trip at least.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']That post-credits tag kind of changes the tone of the ending. Make sure you sit through the credits if you haven't already, because a lot of people I've seen try to "explain" what happens in the ending seem like they might've missed it.
To me, it suggests that Booker was able to eliminate Comstock from ever coming into existence since that "version" of him drowned. At least it puts a somewhat positive spin on what happens.

Overall I liked it, but I wasn't as blown away as some have been. The first half of the game, or maybe the first 2/3, really had me going, but I kind of became exhausted by the time you get to the latter sections.
Particularly the Lady Comstock ghost sections...felt like one too many. I also felt they blew an opportunity with the weird "tears" bringing in, say, music from the present day. They never really did anything with it and should have.

That said, the art design, attention to detail -- all of that -- is pretty spectacular. Not sure I'll go through it again, but it's certainly worth one trip at least.[/QUOTE]
I still think the after credits scene means
there's either a Booker prime that every other Booker diverges from that still exists in a far away universe that kept Anna and somehow has memories of all that happened or that Elizabeth used her powers as a sort of wish fulfillment (like she said she could have) and created a universe where Booker keeps Anna and raises her which would make some sense since that one chick mistakes Elizabeth for Anna during the game.

Then again, this other Forbes article poses some interesting ideas about the ending http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...ck-infinite-you-might-have-missed-completely/

I still enjoy thinking Booker
is an alternate universe version of Delta instead of Jack, though.

I was a big fan of Bucking Bronco, as well as Devil's Kiss. Undertow came in handy towards the end of the game.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']
That said, the art design, attention to detail -- all of that -- is pretty spectacular. Not sure I'll go through it again, but it's certainly worth one trip at least.[/QUOTE]

Certainly worth 2 trips at least, there's so many minor things in you might have missed. Here's a good spoiler discussion, again if you haven't beaten the game don't click here. These guys bring up a lot of good points, was the conversation I wanted to have with all my friends when I beat the game 2 days after release lol!

Undertow is too good. Having access to pushing and pulling physics kills, as well as being able to stun Patriots and Handymen makes me consider it the best, overall. Between that and the Bronco/Charge combo, I can only imagine the enemies raining into the ocean below.

I found that each Vigor had it's time to shine. I did use fully upgraded Devil's Kiss for the majority of my 1999 run. Seldom messed with the single grenades; I'd generally toss traps into mobs of dudes and watch the nuclear fallout from the other room.

Despite the fun idea behind Return to Sender, I didn't find myself utilizing it too often. Too many other exploitable weaknesses across enemies to pull me back.

One thing is for sure: I love Bioshock 1 more than Infinite. Bioshock is my favorite game and Infinite my 2nd favorite game. The thing about Infinite though, is that it has left me thinking about the story well after I beat it. I can't think of any other games that have done that as well as Infinite has (I haven't played every game obviously so that probably isn't true for everyone). It seems like that is true for a lot of people. Spec Ops the line did that pretty well and a lot of games have had great stories, but there are very few, if any that have left me searching for answers and digging for tiny details quite like this game did.

Hey guys i have played the first bio shock but never the second one do i need to play the second one to understand the Infinite or could i just just right into the third game? Thanks a ton

[quote name='AzGoat']Hey guys i have played the first bio shock but never the second one do i need to play the second one to understand the Infinite or could i just just right into the third game? Thanks a ton[/QUOTE]

Nope. You can jump right into Infinite no problem.

Beat the game Sunday. Can't stop thinking about it, because I'm trying to make sense of the story. But there's just too many plot holes or unexplained bits.

Put me in the camp that wasn't really impressed. The first Bioshock dominated Infinite in every way.

Ending Spoiler!!!
Seriously, don't click unless you've beaten the game.
One thing I wish they did better was the last scene. I would have been happier if:
- Player Booker witnesses Comstock drowning. Like the scene with the lighthouses, Booker can see other Bookers, so not all instances of Booker is player Booker. Also, we already know player Booker didn't choose baptism.
- Instead of 7~8 different Elizabeths, have a fragmented one. Think of a shattered pane of glass, with each piece being a piece from a different Elizabeth. That way, it makes it more symbolic that the Elizabeths from the other scenarios all come simultaneously to that branching point, instead of just 7-8. They drown Comstock, and fade away.
- Player is left there alone, and the screen fades to black. Credits roll, and the same final scene.

I would have had no beef with the ending if it was presented like that.

99.99% possession and .01% of devil's kiss everything else could go hit the bricks! And I rarely used the charged versions of either vigor.

Murder of Crows for large mobs, cause it's the best CC. Shock Jockey for everybody else, cause it stuns turrets, Patriots, Handyman, and even Lady Comstock.

Fully maxed murder of crows means every time you kill someone, you get more crows. Couple that with gear that increases crit damage and gear that generates shocks by killing people with excessive force, you've got a nice way to kill a large group of people

is it just me or does the game world seem way to big for a bioshock game. seems like 80 percent of the time im just walking around looking in stuff to loot. i think i like the close area of bioshock 1 and 2 then a more open world like this game.

well i was loving this game until i got to the part
where your on comstocks air ship. the waves of patriots and rockets they send at you is fucking relentless. i dont know if im going to be able to beat that part. ive been trying for like 2 hours now.

Just got this used for $9.xx from GS. Used the birthday coupon and the steal of the week for a total of 45% off then traded Far Cry 3 in towards the purcase of Infinite with the 50% bonus. Plus copped the season pass of ebay for $15

Has anyone try taking a blacklight to the lithographs to see if there's any hidden message written like there was for Bioshock 2 posters?

[quote name='sublime90']well i was loving this game until i got to the part
where your on comstocks air ship. the waves of patriots and rockets they send at you is fucking relentless. i dont know if im going to be able to beat that part. ive been trying for like 2 hours now.
[/QUOTE]

You need to try and focus on destroying the zeppelins via commanding Songbird. Whenever Songbird is on cooldown, try to take out as much of the enemies as you can. Using possession on the Patriots is a huge help.

But yeah, I'm going to dread this part in 1999 mode.

[quote name='knightsdwn']
You need to try and focus on destroying the zeppelins via commanding Songbird. Whenever Songbird is on cooldown, try to take out as much of the enemies as you can. Using possession on the Patriots is a huge help.

But yeah, I'm going to dread this part in 1999 mode.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you need to take down 3 of the big white zeppelins. As much as I enjoyed that fight, I wish they would have straight up told you how many you need to take out. I ended up failing the first time just from getting caught up and enjoying the map/combat. That's not a war of attrition you can win, unfortunately.

[/QUOTE]

I tried this about 50 times before I finally found a glitch on youtube that worked. It definitely made it way easier.

[/QUOTE]

trap them with shock jockey where they spawn :bouncy:

[/QUOTE]
Take it slow and take them out on by one. That is what I had to do.

[/QUOTE]

I used every opportunity to take down zeppelins and then having songbird pouncing on the platform right below the generator when the patriots gathered there. I made the mistake of not upgrading Possession, so I had to make do with shock jockey, devil's kiss, and coaxing them into firing at me. For some reason, I barely made it on hard on my first try (the bar literally emptied just as the objective updated).

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']i think i like the close area of bioshock 1 and 2 then a more open world like this game.[/QUOTE]

A city at the bottom of the ocean?

Ridiculous.

[quote name='GUNNM']99.99% possession and .01% of devil's kiss everything else could go hit the bricks! And I rarely used the charged versions of either vigor.[/QUOTE]

After hearing someone's playstyle as charge vigor, on contact steal health and "magic", charge next enemy, I'm totally doing this!

I mainly just shocked people, got head shots and that notorious splat of their head. Oh man

[quote name='GUNNM']So in the trailer it shows elizabeth
in a noose
. When dat happen?[/QUOTE]

It's called marketing... or you could say it was a metaphor maybe. Prob easier to have that resemble Elizabeth being a hostage than a giant floating structure that resembled Columbia's Statue of Liberty.

Also yeah I had trouble with that combat sequence and died a couple of times so then I just put shock/ crow traps everywhere lol. I also died firstly because I was enjoying the combat, with the sky-line system in play and all your vigors it all blended nicely together at last.

[quote name='Spybreak8']After hearing someone's playstyle as charge vigor, on contact steal health and "magic", charge next enemy, I'm totally doing this![/QUOTE]
I know, I'm itching to play through the game again and experiment with different vigors.

[/QUOTE]

I loved this part! It was an actual epic battle in Bioshock. It was Great! Was I one of the select few that didn't have a ton of trouble with this on hard? I had to redo it 2 or 3 times, but didn't think it was impossible in the slightest.

I ended up using songbird on Zeps. Possessed the Patriots. Crows/Jockey trap near stairs in case any broke through. Stayed in the back near the med kits and spawned them when i needed them. Then just head shot with sniper the rest. Ducked for cover when reloading. The sniper is actually really good responsiveness. The sniper is ridiculously OPed in this game. I guess it probably would have been a ton more challenging if I didn't snipe. I am used to quickscoping from CoD so it was pretty natural.

Whats going to be included in the "Season Pass"? Does anybody have a rumors or news about it? Since this game does not include multiplayer what are they going to add?

[quote name='ajh2298']Whats going to be included in the "Season Pass"? Does anybody have a rumors or news about it? Since this game does not include multiplayer what are they going to add?[/QUOTE]

Elizabeth in Paris
I hope.

No one really knows. They said they would tell other stories so hopefully some actual story DLC like Bioshock 2 got.
I'm guessing one piece of story dlc, challenge rooms/horde mode of some kind, clothing/guns/vigors. Hopefully they will expand upon the
infinite universes aspect as far as story or locations. They could probably tell Bookers story at Wounded knee. The Vox take over of Columbia

One thing this game did get absolutely right is the death's. This is one of the first game's where I wasn't absolutely pissed at some part of the game that I got stuck on. Far Cry 3 did this pretty well too. No matter how hard a part was or how many times I got my ass kicked I always felt like I would get by it. Well other than the Siren/ghost fight. Most other games have those absolutely frustrating moments that I get stuck on for hours and it makes me want to stop playing. Dead Space 3 did this to me very early on.

[quote name='ajh2298']Whats going to be included in the "Season Pass"? Does anybody have a rumors or news about it? Since this game does not include multiplayer what are they going to add?[/QUOTE]

Elizabeth in New York, destroying it yet again. But yes how do you murder off the main protagonist AND antagonist and produce DLC. I get how its done as its prior/during gameplay, no need to explain.

I'm thinking it is for more alternate dimension hopping

Could someone recommend a good "Gear" set-up? I am at the point of the game where you are about to enter Comstocks House.

Well I finished it and cannot for the life of me understand all the praise it is getting. Complicated doesn't mean good.

I wonder if gamers need to get out more. (have you not seen Back to the Future 2?)

I think Bioshock 1 (save for the boss fight) was in every way better.

[quote name='ajh2298']Could someone recommend a good "Gear" set-up? I am at the point of the game where you are about to enter Comstocks House.[/QUOTE]

Rpg's are really helpful at the end. Shotgun is useful too but really anything will do. Its a lot of guys and a lot of patriots to fight

[quote name='usickenme']Well I finished it and cannot for the life of me understand all the praise it is getting. Complicated doesn't mean good.

I wonder if gamers need to get out more. (have you not seen Back to the Future 2?)

I think Bioshock 1 (save for the boss fight) was in every way better.[/QUOTE]

I don't feel like looking back in the thread, but from what I remember you and about two other people didn't like the game from the very beginning. And your opinion didn't change throughout your play time. Seems like you went in wanting to not like it for whatever reason, but everyone doesn't have the same tastes. I thought Fallout 3 was horribly boring and it was critically praised. We don't like the game just because it was complicated. The world that was crafted was amazing. The music was awesome. Elizabeth's AI was awesome. The story was very well crafted. Gun play was solid.

[quote name='slickkill77']

I don't feel like looking back in the thread, but from what I remember you and about two other people didn't like the game from the very beginning. And your opinion didn't change throughout your play time. Seems like you went in wanting to not like it for whatever reason, but everyone doesn't have the same tastes. I thought Fallout 3 was horribly boring and it was critically praised. We don't like the game just because it was complicated. The world that was crafted was amazing. The music was awesome. Elizabeth's AI was awesome. The story was very well crafted. Gun play was solid.[/QUOTE]

please don't assume. I could just as easily claim that the people who love it simply "wanted" to love it but I'm not that lazy.

People like different things, it's just an opinion. I would say Elizabeth's voice actor was the best I've ever heard.

[quote name='slickkill77']The world that was crafted was amazing. The music was awesome. Elizabeth's AI was awesome. The story was very well crafted. Gun play was solid.[/QUOTE]

The world wasn't that amazing. Music wasn't bad. Elizabeth was awesome. The story wasn't that well crafted, especially compared to Bioshock 1. It wasn't a bad game, but I'm seriously wondering why everyone is saying it's the guaranteed GOTY.

bread's done
Back