Bioshock Infinite Announced

Game is just awesome. Pure and simple. The music so far doesn't hold up to the original, minus the Hall of Heroes part, but that is just a minor gripe. Just like the first Bioshock, my favorite game ever, this game immerses you so well into its world

I don't understand how you guys think the game is awesome. I am probably three hours in, and this game feels underwhelming. The lack of story, bland graphics (even on Ultra in 1440p on PC they look bland), and lack of new features is mind boggling for a sequel in development as long as this game. It feels like this game could have come out in 2010.

I loved the first two games, and this game feels like a bland sequel that provides more of the same.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I don't understand how you guys think the game is awesome. I am probably three hours in, and this game feels underwhelming. The lack of story, bland graphics (even on Ultra in 1440p on PC they look bland), and lack of new features is mind boggling for a sequel in development as long as this game. It feels like this game could have come out in 2010.

I loved the first two games, and this game feels like a bland sequel that provides more of the same.[/QUOTE]

The first two games were amazing, this improves on it a little bit in every way IMO, which makes it also pretty damn amazing. I'm only about 1.5 or 2 hours in but I am liking how the story is told through context clues instead of being force fed to you in cutscenes.

So I played roughly 2.5 hours of this game and just wow. This game is phenomenal.

First off, the interaction between you and Elizabeth is astounding. I mean I have never played a game in my life where your partner is as smart, or as human like. She seriously acts how every NPC follower I could ever want would act. Second I love how the game has no cutscenes, it feels more natural to me, and well I like the interactions between you and Elizabeth. It feels natural, kinda like your playing a cinematic movie.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I don't understand how you guys think the game is awesome. I am probably three hours in, and this game feels underwhelming. The lack of story, bland graphics (even on Ultra in 1440p on PC they look bland), and lack of new features is mind boggling for a sequel in development as long as this game. It feels like this game could have come out in 2010.

I loved the first two games, and this game feels like a bland sequel that provides more of the same.[/QUOTE]

bioshock 1 was epic amazing bioshock 2 was made by dif studio and the new one is made by makers of 1st one and after 2 hours of play last night this is the best game i have played in awhile and that is saying much after i just played tomb raider which i think was epic also. How can you say there is not story there is a giant story in this game just like bioshock 1 to get alot of the story you have to revover the voice recordings and descover all the video stuff. You either are not doing that or don't watch them.

might i add the pc grapchis are AMAZING. it's by far the best looking game i have seen in awhile and im a person that don't care much about graphics but it looks amazing.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']So I played roughly 2.5 hours of this game and just wow. This game is phenomenal.

First off, the interaction between you and Elizabeth is astounding. I mean I have never played a game in my life where your partner is as smart, or as human like. She seriously acts how every NPC follower I could ever want would act. Second I love how the game has no cutscenes, it feels more natural to me, and well I like the interactions between you and Elizabeth. It feels natural, kinda like your playing a cinematic movie.[/QUOTE]

that's what i love about bioshock games they don't tell their story by 5-10 min cutscenes they tell it by hearing people talk and finding voice recordings and this one also has tons of video machines that show alot of the story. People that say this game don't have story don't know how to play bioshock.

I'm about 3-4 hours in and I love this game. Just fantastic so far, in pretty much every way. I love the detail to the world. I read every poster and look at everything.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']bioshock 1 was epic amazing bioshock 2 was made by dif studio and the new one is made by makers of 1st one and after 2 hours of play last night this is the best game i have played in awhile and that is saying much after i just played tomb raider which i think was epic also. How can you say there is not story there is a giant story in this game just like bioshock 1 to get alot of the story you have to revover the voice recordings and descover all the video stuff. You either are not doing that or don't watch them.[/QUOTE]

Bioshock 2 might have been made by a different studio, but the game does a great job of grabbing you from the start. The second half stinks, but the first couple of hours are fantastic. Minerva's Den is also amazing.

I have picked up 25 percent of the audio logs, watched 9 or 10 viewfinders, and gone in just about every store. I know 3 things and none of them are interesting. I know
That I have debt to repay, Elizabeth can tear open the sky, and Comstock is the prophet and I am the false prophet.

Also the audiologs aren't all that interesting. My character has no connection with any of these people or anything going on in this world, so why would I care what these people have to say.

Edit: You need to play Crysis or TR if you think this game looks good. This game looks decidedly average. Facial animations, character models, and the world in general look okay, but there is nothing all that exciting in the game graphics wise. The style is nice, but that is it.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']
Edit: You need to play Crysis or TR if you think this game looks good. This game looks decidedly average. Facial animations, character models, and the world in general look okay, but there is nothing all that exciting in the game graphics wise. The style is nice, but that is it.[/QUOTE]

While there may be nothing on the level of Crysis, I still think the game is beautiful. Just in the world they crafted. I mean sure Crysis, Tomb Raider, etc might look better and more realistic, but I have come to prefer worlds like this. Games like Crysis and Tomb Raider are good, but I don't feel any attachment to the world like I do Bioshock. I guess because with Crysis the world is just an island. Beautiful, but just an island.

There will be an arcade machine that Elizabeth interacts with and the dialogue following is related to how Bioshock was delayed - clever little non-spoilerly easter egg.

Ahh work is going to be insufferable today haha.

I love how Elizabeth throws you ammo and health during fights. Who'd have thought, the solution to making an AI companion feel useful, is to make them actually useful.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I love how Elizabeth throws you ammo and health during fights. Who'd have thought, the solution to making an AI companion feel useful, is to make them actually useful.[/QUOTE]

Haha I know right, this is actually the total opposite of the AI companion in RE5. Ah what ya gonna do, Eastern/Western developers.

Finished it on im normal about 10 hours. Pretty good game with ending that makes you go damn. Also there is a playable scene AFTER the credits roll. Just to make think about the ending again. ;)

Best Redbox $2 rental so far. 29/50 achievements, I'm not a whore...

Undisputed game of the year. 12 out of 10. I owe Levine an apology for ever doubting him, but I have a Hard Melee playthrough to start so...

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I'm jealous that you guys are already finishing. :lol: Stupid work.[/QUOTE]I'm not jealous; I plan on taking my own sweet time and enjoying every minute of it. I'm a few hours in, and absolutely loving it. I'm in no rush to finish at all. But I know what you mean about stupid work. :headache:

The first handyman encounter on hard...holy mother of god that was hard

I didn't think any game could top Far Cry 3 that I would play this year, but I was wrong.

[quote name='slickkill77']The first handyman encounter on hard...holy mother of god that was hard

I didn't think any game could top Far Cry 3 that I would play this year, but I was wrong.[/QUOTE]

Handymen are pure badass. Amazing AI at work. Game has amazing psychedelic levels.
The level when you are going up the tower to the Warden's office will forever be cemented in my memory. Brrrrr. Also, I found Lady Comstock to be very hard at Hard difficulty, died about 20 times in the cemetery before I realized that she just kept bringing the corpses that you kill, back to life.

Loving the
bittersweet
ending.

[quote name='cancerman1120']So for those looking for a contrarian opinion here is by far the worst review of the game, a 3/5. I did not read it because I am not risking any spoilers but it seems to be spoiler free. Same guy has given 5/5 to SSX, Borderlands 2 and Assassin's Creed 3.

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2013/03/26/bioshock-infinites-infinite-space-bounded-in-a-nutshell/

Anyone willing to read and comment on its validity without spoilers I would be interested.[/QUOTE]
You ever get your Industrial code?

I just saw this game running on a PS3 next to God of War: Ascension and it really looked bad in comparison. I may have to wait and play this on PC or the eventual PS4 port like the snob I am. It looked like a TON of fun though.

[quote name='Javery']I just saw this game running on a PS3 next to God of War: Ascension and it really looked bad in comparison. I may have to wait and play this on PC or the eventual PS4 port like the snob I am. It looked like a TON of fun though.[/QUOTE]

Even on the PC, the graphics are more good in a stylized way, not in a sheer graphically impressive way.

I'm playing this game on ps3 so I'm not sure if its the same as other platforms. But this game seems to be very bright and bloomy. It reminds me of the issue dishonored had with being washed out on normal brightness. But if I turn the brightness down in Bioshock the dark areas are too dark. It may be just me, and I'm getting used to it, but sometimes it bugs me really bad. So, I was just wondering if anyone else felt this way as well.

[quote name='letskissthesky']I'm playing this game on ps3 so I'm not sure if its the same as other platforms. But this game seems to be very bright and bloomy. It reminds me of the issue dishonored had with being washed out on normal brightness. But if I turn the brightness down in Bioshock the dark areas are too dark. It may be just me, and I'm getting used to it, but sometimes it bugs me really bad. So, I was just wondering if anyone else felt this way as well.[/QUOTE]
It looks great to me. Maybe your tv is focked

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Even on the PC, the graphics are more good in a stylized way, not in a sheer graphically impressive way.[/QUOTE]

That's fine - I like the art style. The problem I saw with the PS3 version was the muddy textures - they get really pixelated up close. Honestly, the original Bioshock looked better, IMO.

Beat it, Raptr said about 12 hours, I took a sick day yesterday so... yeah. Amazing game, sad to see it over and that's all I could think about while it ramped up to the end- oh man this is gonna be over soon.

[quote name='Javery']That's fine - I like the art style. The problem I saw with the PS3 version was the muddy textures - they get really pixelated up close. Honestly, the original Bioshock looked better, IMO.[/QUOTE]

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Castle_Rybread/screenshots/

I took a couple of screenshots of the game. That is taken with settings on Ultra at 1440p. The game doesn't look bad. It just lacks the visual punch of a lot of newer games.

Well what I tell all of my PC gamer friends. I don't give a shit but I'm not gonna preach to you about graphics. Really if you're talking about the lack of visual punch with this game you've clearly looked at the game as a whole the wrong way. The art style and visual flair of this game is amazing, the combat, the story, the character progression, etc are vastly excellent especially when compared side by side to a mediocre title of this generation.
If you're still on the fence, take a look at Adam Sessler's review.

Just finished the game, The story was good until about halfway through when
You start doing all that jumping through dimensions bullshit.
. Every thing else was great and the story was even beginning to redeem itself until the last 2 hours.
Once the game play started getting repetitive, and they story went all anime/Evengelion-ending with twists that only m night shyamalan would think were clever.
Non spoiler complaint: The made the city a place that you would want to explore and interact with, but after the first hour the only exploring is to find power ups and most of the interaction involves shooting people in the face.

Anyone else enjoy the way that melee guys committed suicide?

[quote name='Javery']I just saw this game running on a PS3 next to God of War: Ascension and it really looked bad in comparison. I may have to wait and play this on PC or the eventual PS4 port like the snob I am. It looked like a TON of fun though.[/QUOTE]

PS3 first party titles will make any game look bad.

[quote name='itachiitachi']Just finished the game, The story was good until about halfway through when
You start doing all that jumping through dimensions bullshit.
. Every thing else was great and the story was even beginning to redeem itself until the last 2 hours.
Once the game play started getting repetitive, and they story went all anime/Evengelion-ending with twists that only m night shyamalan would think were clever.
Non spoiler complaint: The made the city a place that you would want to explore and interact with, but after the first hour the only exploring is to find power ups and most of the interaction involves shooting people in the face.

Anyone else enjoy the way that melee guys committed suicide?[/QUOTE]

The more I play the more I agree with this. The first 3 or 4 hours are great with the closed in areas and high levels of detail. As I'm getting to the large arena type battles with the skylines, I'm liking the combat less and less.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']The more I play the more I agree with this. The first 3 or 4 hours are great with the closed in areas and high levels of detail. As I'm getting to the large arena type battles with the skylines, I'm liking the combat less and less.[/QUOTE]

Wow I was the total opposite, these big open arena type battles with skylines was really where the combat system evolved and felt fresh to me. The amount of freedom and options available to you almost becomes too much when you're getting shot at or worse being pursued by something. These will also be played very differently on my 2nd playthrough, I'm already running through the variety of options in my head on how I'll tackle it next time - things I've thought when playing Far Cry 3 and Crysis 2.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Wow I was the total opposite, these big open arena type battles with skylines was really where the combat system evolved and felt fresh to me. The amount of freedom and options available to you almost becomes too much when you're getting shot at or worse being pursued by something. These will also be played very differently on my 2nd playthrough, I'm already running through the variety of options in my head on how I'll tackle it next time - things I've thought when playing Far Cry 3 and Crysis 2.[/QUOTE]

That's sorta how I feel, too much. Zipping around the skylines is really disorienting and most of the time I find myself getting shot more that I get a chance to get the jump on enemies. I'm having much less problems just hanging back and picking guys off with the carbine.

Also, it seems like in almost everyone one of these encounters, one of the enemies gets lost in some obscure corner or caught on the geometry and I have to spend a few minutes trying to find him to move on.

As someone who carried and upgraded the sniper rifle probably 45% of the game I can understand sitting back. I really like the fact that you have a shield. At first I was like oh wow we have a shield now but when facing off against enemies or turrets that know where you are I bet it was frustrating in the early play testing phase at Irrational Games. One thing I got used to and what I'll absolutely implement with my tactics for playthrough 2 is jumping from a skyline onto enemies, shooting/using abilities some, then jumping back onto the skyline. Guerrilla tactics! Throw in some upgrades that work with that tactic and ohh man I'm getting goosebumps thinking about it.

The sniper rifle is beast in this game. My go-to loadout has been any two of Founder Carbine/Bird's Eye sniper rifle/Vox Repeater, with Possession and Devil's Kiss equipped for vigors. The Repeater is a huge improvement over the Founder machine gun, which was so inaccurate I found it basically worthless.

Since nobody is apparently playing this on the PS3, I'm gonna hang out here.

I haven't gotten far, but Ken Levine had to have made some kind of deal with the devil. I seriously doubted this game could draw me in like BioShock did because it was so much brighter, more colorful and there's a "live" world with NPCs everywhere, but I've found myself deeply engrossed into Columbia.

Hehe yeah I tended to utilize the hilarity death sequence of shocking people and getting head shots, pop! Murder of Crows was also just ungodly when upgraded, trap gets set off, enemies that die create more traps, rinse and repeat, clean up and loot! Funny how the first time I saw the bird power used I was mortified and then later on I'm attacking anything that moves with the things with a huge grin completely sucked into the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to imagine Booker and Elizabeth actually emptying out the can, sitting down, and rummaging through a pile of garbage looking for coins and uneaten food. :lol:

[quote name='dennisb407']You ever get your Industrial code?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Email was a bust but I called CS and they took care of it in like 5 min. The extra 500 Silver Dollars will be helpful in 1999 mode.

For those wondering yes, you will continue to gain the vonophones you didn't have if you start a new 2nd playthrough. I'm around 63 of 80 now and actually finding places I didn't check before.

bread's done
Back