Blockbuster R.I.P.

Weird that SK only has one closing. Seemed like there were as many BBV's in NS as SK, yet NS is closing 4~5.

If they were going to close one in SK, I wish it would have been one close to me...

Wow, four (4) stores closing in HRM and the one on my street isn't one of them. Nice. It also means no liquidation sales that I don't have to drive around town for, but it means I get to keep my Blockbuster.

[quote name='Rocky071']This is depressing, for two reasons.

2. The horders will be out in full force with their grab bags at this news. It's not even a good opportunity to get some good deals, because some RFD types will just come and essentially loot everything. The stories from the various Rogers' sales were sickening.[/QUOTE]

Major point here. When my wife went to our local store on the day of their half of sale, she was almost pushed over by three scumbags literally filling a laundry basket with games. We had a bit of credit and wanted one or two games, but she ended up just leaving in disgust.

I HATE ingnorant rude people like this. I know Rogers staff had bigger concerns, but it would have been nice if they had instituted some rules to control the unruliness of the mob.

[quote name='mabba18']Delaying the inevitable, unfortunately. Aside from a handful of specialty local shops, the brick and mortar media rental business will be dead in 10 years. Heavy users will move onto unlimited rent by mail, casual users will head to "movie cube" machines, and both groups will head online as well.

If Blockbuster retail locations do survive, they will have much more cell phone, electronics and media sales, and very little rental space.[/QUOTE]

Before Rogers closed, we did about 80% of our DVD renting online, now that it's gone we've gone to a full 100%. Other than the good relationship we had with the store staff, and the nostalgia of video store browsing, we love it. I haven't been a big game renter since I was a kid, but I've even started using Game Access for game rentals, since a $30/month membership gives me at least 3 "new" games a month.

It's sad to see the brick and mortars go, but such is the way of technology.

[quote name='ChaosKnight']Winnipeg BBV @ Charleswood Centre (and apparently) Kenaston are already having their liquidations @ 30% off everything in the store.[/QUOTE]

Thanks ChaosKnight. I'll head to Kenaston location after work to check it out and I'll check to see what's left. Hopefully hoarders haven't decimated the places already.

Awww that is sad that the Blockbuster at the Lawrence Plaza is closing. I used to always use that Blockbuster when I was in High School to rent games until a rude wanna-be manager got hired and then began to use Rogers (until I eventually went to Game Access). It is sad though that they are closing.

The two in Fredericton seem business as usual. Sad there's no deals, glad people have their jobs longer. They had 30% off previously viewed movies, but that didn't seem that special to me.

just been to the nearest one here,, 30% off everything,, but some prices are still high,,, ex : nhl 11 still 59.99 in their computer,,, :(

got a couple of classics, but man, those games are flying off the shelves, every customer looks insane (me included I guess)

Got back from the 32nd Ave Blockbuster in Calgary, pretty busy but not brutal. Gangs of nerds were starting to pick apart the games as I left. Noticed that most of the used Wii games were gone by the time I got there. All the good rental blu-rays were picked over too.

Grabbed $40 worth of used 360 games at 30% off:

Lucha Libre - Heroes Del Ring - $14.99
Final Fantasy XIII - $24.99
Clash Of The Titans - $14.99

Deals aren't fantastic, but everyone is picking over the good stuff today.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ rmatheso - is this going on at every BBV in Calgary? might go check out the 17th Ave location, although I'm not really big on used games, I just think it'd be interesting to see what it's like/what they might have.

Just got back, managed to pick up:

The Mechanic (Blu-Ray) - SO GLAD I GOT THIS!
Medal of Honor: LE (360) - $23

Both new, total was $47. I'm happy. Was thinking of grabbing some other 360 titles but figured I could get better deals on them in time. If I had gone earlier I would've tried to grab the newest game releases, but no doubt they were cleaned out yesterday.
I hate working on Fridays, all the good deals usually start that day. :(

Checked out one closing location on Friday... 30% off is good for the average consumer, but I don't expect a lot of "hoarders" or dealers taking advantage... the deal's not that good since the original prices were kind of high. I bought nothing. Now Rogers Plus... they know how to do a going out of business sale.

Wow, the one by my house isn't closing. Hmm...I might check the BBV out anyway just to see if there are any big sales, but I doubt it

[quote name='GameDeals.ca']Checked out one closing location on Friday... 30% off is good for the average consumer, but I don't expect a lot of "hoarders" or dealers taking advantage... the deal's not that good since the original prices were kind of high. I bought nothing. Now Rogers Plus... they know how to do a going out of business sale.[/QUOTE]

Expect the real deals (and ravaging bands of savage hoarders) closer to June 17th.

I dont know about you but I could see hoarders acting. At 2 locations I was able to spot about 30 EB qualifiers at 10-13$ each.

[quote name='ducksoda7']Ugh. Just bought X-MEN vol. 5 from Kenaston for $18 only to fin out walmart has it on sale for $10 and all sales are final. :S[/QUOTE]

I'm unsurprised, you need to know what you're looking at and avoid blindly buying things. I went in specifically looking for Silent Hill Shattered Memories, which has been sitting around months at my local BB for $20 new. The BB I went out to had a former rental on sale, for $30 - 30%... Yes great deal, I can pay an extra dollar to have a copy that's likely been abused and has no return policy...

[quote name='Jogurt the Yogurt']Expect the real deals (and ravaging bands of savage hoarders) closer to June 17th.[/QUOTE]
Everything decent will be cleaned out long before then. They'll slash prices, but it'll just be to move the leftover crap.

[quote name='ragnar14']I'm unsurprised, you need to know what you're looking at and avoid blindly buying things. I went in specifically looking for Silent Hill Shattered Memories, which has been sitting around months at my local BB for $20 new. The BB I went out to had a former rental on sale, for $30 - 30%... Yes great deal, I can pay an extra dollar to have a copy that's likely been abused and has no return policy... [/QUOTE]
Well, it's not like I bought it without thinking. I've been frequently checking the prices of the X-MEN volumes whenever I saw then(which have never gone down until now), and it just so happened that the sale happened the same week as Blockbuster's Closing Sale. I just had the misfortune of walking into Blockbuster right before heading into Wal-Mart. Anyways, I'm over it.

You guys are so damn depressing.

I see the block buster shut down the same way I viewed Rogers...

That I dont have to pay my ridiculous late fees.

[quote name='ducksoda7']Well, it's not like I bought it without thinking.[/QUOTE]
Ah, my post wasn't meant as a knock against you. Despite starting it by saying "you", I meant "you, as in whoever happens to be reading the post" :bouncy:

And it's not as if I don't impulse buy either. I grabbed the latest Resident Evil flick on Blu-ray while there, and I don't have the foggiest idea what it normally sells for...

[quote name='ragnar14']Ah, my post wasn't meant as a knock against you. Despite starting it by saying "you", I meant "you, as in whoever happens to be reading the post" :bouncy:

And it's not as if I don't impulse buy either. I grabbed the latest Resident Evil flick on Blu-ray while there, and I don't have the foggiest idea what it normally sells for...[/QUOTE]
That's alright. At the time, I just wish I knew that all sales were final before I bought it and not after reading the receipt. But, like I said, I'm over it.

I got a few deals there mostly on new release like dirt, shift, and crysis at the portage location. Although i felt guilty that i was there for cheap games while I was being helped by a person loosing their job.

Haven't been to BBV in awhile and still have GCs to burn there, anyone know a good way to move credit from BBV (non-closing location) to FutureShop easily? Don't mind losing a few bucks.

[quote name='jrockizo']I got a few deals there mostly on new release like dirt, shift, and crysis at the portage location. Although i felt guilty that i was there for cheap games while I was being helped by a person loosing their job.[/QUOTE]

What did you end up paying for those games?

All the games were retail sealed for 59.99 but with 30% off, sorry to clarify but it was shift 2, dirt 3 and crysis 2. I hope you didn't think i was getting the first games :p

Hey everybody heads up. The sale has risen to 50% off. Btw still good stuff at Grant Park-Winnipeg location, like Red Dead Redemption, Dead Space 2, Need For Speed, Shift 2, Gran Turismo 5, etc. Lots of Kinect Stuff and other surprisingly good stuff there.

BTW if anyone sees a copy off Left4Dead 1 or 2, and Crysis 2, please give me a heads up.

[quote name='gmoney1234567890']Hey everybody heads up. The sale has risen to 50% off. [/QUOTE]

I was told that the last week will be 70% off ... but I doubt there will be much left by then.

[quote name='Jogurt the Yogurt']Hmm... I wonder if one could find any Kinect hardware for 50% off anywhere.[/QUOTE]

I doubt it. Most stores were out of hardware the first day. But you could try.

Does anyone know if the stores in Victoria still have any games in stock for cheap? I just found this thread now, I realize it's a couple weeks old =\

Just came back from grocery shopping and got Yakuza 4 (50%off), Soul Caliber 4, Sonic Genesis Collection, and SSF4 (30% off last three). Not bad for not really looking.

Bought a couple of DVD's at 50% off, plus Time Bandits Blu-ray for only $10. Quite a joke, most of the new movies were 50% off the sticker, but the sticker prices were ridiculously high to begin. Nothing too special left, but I might go back if they drop things to 70% off at some point.
The only interesting gaming related items I saw were silver Dualshock 2's.

Bramalea City Centre is now 70% off, not sure if that's offered at other places.

Not much left of course, but got Medal of Honor 360, Seven BR, No Country for Old Men BR, all for a little over 20$.

[quote name='PapaLau']Bramalea City Centre is now 70% off, not sure if that's offered at other places.

Not much left of course, but got Medal of Honor 360, Seven BR, No Country for Old Men BR, all for a little over 20$.[/QUOTE]

Please tell me it was at least the Digibook release of Se7en. If you paid that much for the BS Alliance release I will weep for you.

[quote name='Derfel']Please tell me it was at least the Digibook release of Se7en. If you paid that much for the BS Alliance release I will weep for you.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like he got everything for a little over $20, so 2 Br's and MoH, so I don't think he did too poorly! $5 per BR and $10 for MoH in my mind!

[quote name='game_fanatic']Sounds like he got everything for a little over $20, so 2 Br's and MoH, so I don't think he did too poorly! $5 per BR and $10 for MoH in my mind![/QUOTE]

Ah, I think I misinterpreted. Regardless, ANY amount is too much to pay for the improperly framed, poorly encoded Alliance release. :)

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']The only interesting gaming related items I saw were silver Dualshock 2's.[/QUOTE]
Dualshock 2's were priced at $30 at my BB, but I picked one up and it scanned at $20. $6 is a deal for a new spare IMO.

I really didn't expect to find anything when I went, I was really just looking for cheap candy :lol: But I fluked and found they still somehow had new sealed games, and picked up:
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (360) $6
Resident Evil Zero (Wii) $9
Geist (Gamecube) $1.50

I donno where Geist came from, it wasn't around during the 30% sale. It must've been buried in their stock room for years...

[quote name='gmoney1234567890']Anyone know how many are left in Winnipeg now? we had about 10 that closed last time. I can think of Osborne and Portage locations, but that's about it.[/QUOTE]

The one on Regent Ave. and Leila by Garden City are still open.

Full list is on Blockbuster's site using the store locator.

Last time they closed stores, I picked up some decent and recent games at the time. Dead Space 2 LE, Crysis 2, and Bulletstorm LE for 50% off. I'm hoping for the best again (c'mon Catherine! :D)

Has anyone heard if they will still be honouring gift card balances (and if so, for how long)? I'm sure I'm not the only one with some trade credit to spend...

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']Ressurecting this as it seems they're all biting the dust now. Closeout sale should start sometime in September[/QUOTE]

Really ? are you serious ? that majorly blows. where did you hear that ? not doubting you but .. i never heard anything on it. i just wanna read up on it.

bread's done
Back