Blockbuster R.I.P.

Also, it appears that the coupons in the holiday coupon book will still be valid until at least next Tuesday (after the long weekend). I'd suggest using them this weekend just to be on the safe side.

[quote name='ShocWave']I called, you have until September 8th to use your gift card.[/QUOTE]
Yup, was just advised the same thing which is a huge relief (heading over tonight to pick up some games & maybe a few accessories).

I pre-bought Gears 3 months ago(paid full price up front), went in yesterday and reqeusted a refund or at least store credit. Told no way(not surprised) but also told they will be open until the end of the month and that I will get the game.... Believe it when I see it!

[quote name='fokkerfan']I pre-bought Gears 3 months ago(paid full price up front), went in yesterday and reqeusted a refund or at least store credit. Told no way(not surprised) but also told they will be open until the end of the month and that I will get the game.... Believe it when I see it![/QUOTE]

I was told clearance will start friday and unlike the previous sale, each store will be able to close as soon as the stock is cleared.

That would mean that its going to close much earlier than end of month. TBD

[quote name='ichit4k4_set0']I was told clearance will start friday and unlike the previous sale, each store will be able to close as soon as the stock is cleared.

That would mean that its going to close much earlier than end of month. TBD[/QUOTE]

Just wondering where you heard that from. if BB told you this ... then i need to plan strategies .. their was a few DVD's i walked away from last time I WILL NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE ! ( that's if they have what i am looking for )

Blockbuster still opens at 10am, right? I want to hit up at least one location close to opening.

[quote name='gill2k']The one on Regent Ave. and Leila by Garden City are still open.

Full list is on Blockbuster's site using the store locator.

Last time they closed stores, I picked up some decent and recent games at the time. Dead Space 2 LE, Crysis 2, and Bulletstorm LE for 50% off. I'm hoping for the best again (c'mon Catherine! :D)[/QUOTE]

I didn't find anything worthwhile last time. It was either a game I had already played, or didn't want. That's what happens when you catch a sale at the tail end of it.

(I'm also hoping for Catherine :))

So any word on the definitive date that they're closing? Went last time on the very last day one of the blockbusters was open and got 70% off on everything. I saved $100 and got a shit ton of movies. Though, I've only watched 3 of them so far lol.

[quote name='Jimbob88']Blockbuster still opens at 10am, right? I want to hit up at least one location close to opening.

I didn't find anything worthwhile last time. It was either a game I had already played, or didn't want. That's what happens when you catch a sale at the tail end of it.

(I'm also hoping for Catherine :))[/QUOTE]

I just lucked out on those three games. Crysis 2 was just returned to the Lagimodiere location when I got there. DS 2 and Bulletstorm, same deal with the one on St. Anne's.

I don't expect to find better deals this time around, but you never know.

I just cashed in my Blockbuster gift card yesterday for Resistance 3.

So they are still accepting gift cards as of yesterday and they are getting new stock in as Resistance 3 just came out yesterday. Dead Island was there too.

I got some info from my local BB in Winnipeg. Gift Cards are only good until close tomorrow (Thursday Sept 8). Sale starts Friday Sept 9 as soon as stores open. So use your cards NOW.

Sucks I've got to work on Friday...maybe I'm coming down with something...

[quote name='anikan72']I got some info from my local BB in Winnipeg. Gift Cards are only good until close tomorrow (Thursday Sept 8). Sale starts Friday Sept 9 as soon as stores open. So use your cards NOW.

Sucks I've got to work on Friday...maybe I'm coming down with something...[/QUOTE]

Do we know what the sale will be? Is it 50% off everything right away?

[quote name='Aquablak']Do we know what the sale will be? Is it 50% off everything right away?[/QUOTE]

sale is negligible through the weekend, worse then normal sales. dicoutn will start going up next week with stores opened reduced hours

[quote name='zoro69']sale is negligible through the weekend, worse then normal sales. dicoutn will start going up next week with stores opened reduced hours[/QUOTE]

Thats funny because where I live, 75% of the store are cleared within 3 days at 30% discount. Anything after that is trash.

Here are some info you need to know:

1: Rental option ends and stores close at 5pm Thursday, Sept 8th.

2: Stores reopen Friday, Sept 9th at 10am with the 1st wave of discounts. Sale end date: October 1st.

3: Monday, Sept 12, 2011, store hours change to 12-9pm

4: EVERYTHING must go. Yes, this means systems, games, food, skin off their backs and possibly the paint on the walls

5: Discounts start at 15 & 25%, increasing to 40, 50 and 70 by the last week.

6: All sales are final. No exchanges, returns or refunds. Caveat Emptor.

7: ALL stores are shutting down for good. There will be NO locations remaining in Canada.

8: Giftcards and coupons will NOT be honoured beginning Friday Sept 9th.

9: Here is a list of ALL 253 STORES closing
http://www.grantthornton.ca/resource...une%2026th.pdf

10: Sale percentages starts at 15% off game and systems/accessories, 25% off everything else

11: There are only 4 stores left in Toronto, nothing in Scarborough.
125 The Queensway, Etobicoke
5230 Dundas Street West, Etobicoke
5825 Yonge Street, Toronto
75 Hanna Avenue, Toronto

Now you are updated. Enjoy the sale and please be kind to the staff as they won't have jobs after a few weeks.
sad.gif

Oops forgot to thank JACKSORBETTA for the info:)

Last edited by a moderator:
15% to 25% off for starters is weak! They started at 30% last time. I was gonna tomorrow right when they open. I think I'll pass for now.

Here's the official break down from their website>
http://www.blockbuster.ca/main.aspx#

I found the flyer from an old link

http://www.blockbuster.ca/previously...d/default.aspx

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PRE-VIEWED VIDEO GAMES>

Shift 2 Unleashed Limited Edition PS3/360
Price : $34.99

James Bond: Bloodstone PS3

Brink 360
Price : $54.99

Dead Space 2 PS3

Kane And Lynch 2: Dog Days 360
Price : $14.99

Singularity Trilingual 360
Price : $19.99

Front Mission Evolved 360
Price : $24.99

Yakuza 3 PS3
Price : $29.99

Blur 360
Price : $24.99

I wonder what happens I you forget to return your game rentals....

Seriously though, I hope stuff doesn't get too picked over before they have an actual sale. 15% off isn't much considering BB is usually 20-40% over priced. People will buy anything if they _think_ they are getting a deal (e.g., eBay), which means that the good stuff will likely be gone by the time 50-70% rolls around.

Does anyone know what the timeline is for the larger price drops? Additional 10% a week?

[quote name='snowsquirrel']I wonder what happens I you forget to return your game rentals....[/QUOTE]

From what I understand all fees outstanding get sent to a collection agency.

I'm sure this has been said, but I want to verify before I waste my time going, this is happening to all blockbusters across Canada?

[quote name='king_bronx']I'm sure this has been said, but I want to verify before I waste my time going, this is happening to all blockbusters across Canada?[/QUOTE]

Yes .. ALL BLOCKBUSTERS their will not be a single BlockBuster Video Left In Canada now.

Just came back from one of the locations in brampton. Bought 2 copies of dead island for around 46 which i found to be the only decent deal so far. like people said, its better to wait til the discount becomes higher since most stuff (especially new blu rays) are overpriced. Also they were selling rentals at full price unopened retail which is ridiculous. I asked the manager there and he said the discount being raised depends on how much theyve sold. SO NO ONE GO :p

Went to the Regent location during my break. I decided not to pick anything up and just wait a couple weeks for a bigger discount. There were still a lot of games (new and rental units) still sitting on the shelves / tables despite a lot of people looking at them (a few copies of Resistance 3, Deus Ex, and Dead Island were still there).

Dead Island was selling for $59.99 so I passed on that one knowing it was on sale for $49.99 a week ago so it'll most likely go down in price again. My buddy was gonna get LA Noire priced at $54.99. Told him to go to EB instead and get it for $30.

Only deal remotely interesting to me was the X-Men First Class on Blu-Ray at $29.99 + 25% off. I passed on it for now as well.

pricing is ridiculous they are taking 15% off the original price of games meaning 15% off what the game was when it originally released.
i seen previously played games with their $29.99 sticker from before today's liquidation then a new sticker below saying $54.99

Same thing here, whent to the one in laval on Laurentides. Only 15% on video games. Everything was way overpriced.
The least expensive stuff I saw was at 14.99$ like tornado outbreak, lbp 1 ,
Even saw medal of honnor at 54.99! c'mon that is completely ridiculous when a couple of months ago it was something like 14.99$ used at another bbv. Also saw splatterhouse at 29.99$ used, that is the retail price of a brand new one.

[quote name='Blendermess1']Same thing here, whent to the one in laval on Laurentides. Only 15% on video games. Everything was way overpriced.
The least expensive stuff I saw was at 14.99$ like tornado outbreak, lbp 1 ,
Even saw medal of honnor at 54.99! c'mon that is completely ridiculous when a couple of months ago it was something like 14.99$ used at another bbv. Also saw splatterhouse at 29.99$ used, that is the retail price of a brand new one.[/QUOTE]

The one on St Dorothea was meh too. I only got Sly Cooper Collection, and X-Men First Class. Waiting until they have better deals.

heard one of the stores in Kingston has never been seen as busy as they are right now, parking lot full :( oh well

[quote name='zoro69']heard one of the stores in Kingston has never been seen as busy as they are right now, parking lot full :( oh well[/QUOTE]

Why are you on this website if you have such an issue with me sharing info with C.A.G
I didn't copy your posts, so why care?
You've been here since 2008 and yet don't want me to share info on here?:speaktothehand:
Don't bother answering my post, I just find it funny how you hate this site so much but still remain.

I'll be updating game info this evening after 8pm(when I am finished work), some great deals for $12.98

[quote name='dvdswapper']Why are you on this website if you have such an issue with me sharing info with C.A.G
I didn't copy your posts, so why care?
You've been here since 2008 and yet don't want me to share info on here?:speaktothehand:
Don't bother answering my post, I just find it funny how you hate this site so much but still remain.

I'll be UPDATING game info for TORONTO stores later on this evening. Some great deals at $12.98.[/QUOTE]

Am i the only one here who doesn't have a clue what this dude is complaining about? I mean wtf, the dude said a store was busy and you go berserk at him. :whee:

[quote name='Nukkus']Am i the only one here who doesn't have a clue what this dude is complaining about? I mean wtf, the dude said a store was busy and you go berserk at him. :whee:[/QUOTE]

We are both on RFD and he's complaining that I am sharing info with C.A.G.
When I came on here to update I saw his post and wrote my post.

[quote name='Nukkus']Am i the only one here who doesn't have a clue what this dude is complaining about? I mean wtf, the dude said a store was busy and you go berserk at him. :whee:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was about to hit it with one of these:

lolwut.jpg

But the explanation did make some kind of sense. :)

[quote name='dvdswapper']We are both on RFD and he's complaining that I am sharing info with C.A.G.
When I came on here to update I saw his post and wrote my post.[/QUOTE]Well we appreciate it so keep it up :D

I picked up Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom, Blazblue CS, and X-Men First Class BD all for 48.54$. I wanted to wait for better savings, but it was likely they would be gone as I was holding the last copies.

As promised, my update>

All prices are before discounts:

There are over 50 (over 3 systems)games for $12.98, most of the older games they were renting out, still with cases and manuals. If they make it till the 40% then it will be great deals.

ps3
Dynasty warriors 6
Bakugan
Naruto(forgot which one it was)

Wii
My sims racing
Sims agent
Pacman party

Just some that I remember. Basically older titles but still cheaper than EB GAMES, especially if they make it until the 40% stage:)

EDIT>
-----------------
HUNTED PS3
$24.99

BODY COUNT PS3
$54.99

LEGO PIRATES OF CARIBEAN
$44.99
--------------------------

Brink ps3
$24.99 used

Fallout new vegas ps3
$14.99 used

Majestic kingdom ps3
$14.99 used

Enslaved ps3/360
$14.99 used

Alpha protocol ps3
$14.99 new

LOTS of new release games left, some new rentals are out as USED prices, so $54.99 minus 15% off. That's what I was told by staff.
So don't just check for NEW games because the rentals will be at used prices. So you save an extra $5.00 off the price for used, which would make the savings a total of $15.00 off the new release prices.

NEW RELEASE
$59.99
With PPV discount
$54.99
With 15% off discount
$47.25
After taxes
$54.35
More updates tommorrow after 10am.

EDIT:
You're welcome The_Void, I hope to be here for a long time helping you guys out:)

[quote name='retro.elite']I picked up Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom, Blazblue CS, and X-Men First Class BD all for 48.54$. I wanted to wait for better savings, but it was likely they would be gone as I was holding the last copies.[/QUOTE]

Was Majin 14.99$? Thats good, it will hit thta price again tho.

the "new guy" is the one who used to troll here and rfd with a name that started with j and maybe some numbers. Was either suspended or banned from there.

[quote name='zoro69']the "new guy" is the one who used to troll here and rfd with a name that started with j and maybe some numbers. Was either suspended or banned from there.[/QUOTE]

I remember that guy! He was kind of a douche bag.

I picked up Portal 2 and Dead Space 2. Each was $35 and then they applied the 15% discount. Here's the kicker, DS2 had the online pass code still in the case, and the code to get Isaac's armour for Dragon Age 2...and both worked when I redeemed them. I dunno if this was just a really lucky grab on my part, but it's possible that some of the other games might have this, making them a worthwhile buy (ie. Mortal Kombat).
Just thought I'd share the info. I'll be waiting on picking up Deus Ex until the discount goes up, as long as they still have some copies

[quote name='anikan72']I picked up Portal 2 and Dead Space 2. Each was $35 and then they applied the 15% discount. Here's the kicker, DS2 had the online pass code still in the case, and the code to get Isaac's armour for Dragon Age 2...and both worked when I redeemed them. I dunno if this was just a really lucky grab on my part, but it's possible that some of the other games might have this, making them a worthwhile buy (ie. Mortal Kombat).
Just thought I'd share the info. I'll be waiting on picking up Deus Ex until the discount goes up, as long as they still have some copies[/QUOTE]

Well Dead Space 2 PS3 is 27.99 used at EBGames so with Edge discout it was 5$ cheaper there.

[quote name='ichit4k4_set0']Well Dead Space 2 PS3 is 27.99 used at EBGames so with Edge discout it was 5$ cheaper there.[/QUOTE]

It's also 29.99$ new everywhere.

[quote name='ichit4k4_set0']Was Majin 14.99$? Thats good, it will hit thta price again tho.[/QUOTE]

360 version scans at $24. :cry:

[quote name='zoro69']the "new guy" is the one who used to troll here and rfd with a name that started with j and maybe some numbers. Was either suspended or banned from there.[/QUOTE]

I remember him to, J194321 or something random.

But what is this in reference to? :whistle2:s

[quote name='ichit4k4_set0']Should be the opposite.[/QUOTE]

I asked if the PS3 version was cheaper and she looked it up only to say "we don't have any", which in no way addressed my question regarding price.

I didn't push it as they looked pretty overwhelmed and miserable. If someone can confirm that it should scan at $12, please do.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']I remember him to, J194321 or something random.

But what is this in reference to? :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

just that dvdswapper is the same guy

i was interested in the ps3 katamari but decided not to wait in line to find out the price with only 15% off. vast majority of lower price used/rental games gone from all stores here. they are telling people there is no discount at all on the few consoles they have

instead pmed 2 lego star wars for 11.50, which are already on the way to peopel on goozex for 1000 points each. that will get me anything BBv has for less anyway.

[quote name='collector42']I asked if the PS3 version was cheaper and she looked it up only to say "we don't have any", which in no way addressed my question regarding price.

I didn't push it as they looked pretty overwhelmed and miserable. If someone can confirm that it should scan at $12, please do.[/QUOTE]

I got Majin at Riverbend Square Blockbuster. The ps3 version was the one I got and was tagged at $14.99, they also had the Xbox 360 version but it didn't have a price tag. I left without the receipt, but I do know that I didn't pay over $15 for Majin.

I too also bought Majin yesterday ( only Copy ) for PS3 and it was $14.99 on sheet but if they charge tax then basicly i payed $15 for it since it's 15% off.

Also i saw Crysis 2 for $59.99 USED, Hell no am i buying that ! i looked at some other prices and i just didn't care i would rather wait. i asked if Discount % would be up next week and she just said i doubt it .. it's gonna be like this probably for 2 weeks.

ah well. even if alot of games were sold .... i couldn't really care as alot of people bought them already * shrugs *

bread's done
Back