Blockbuster R.I.P.

[quote name='retro.elite']I got Majin at Riverbend Square Blockbuster. The ps3 version was the one I got and was tagged at $14.99, they also had the Xbox 360 version but it didn't have a price tag. I left without the receipt, but I do know that I didn't pay over $15 for Majin.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='JamesSoprano']I too also bought Majin yesterday ( only Copy ) for PS3 and it was $14.99 on sheet but if they charge tax then basicly i payed $15 for it since it's 15% off.[/QUOTE]

Thanks fellow CAGs. Perhaps I'll try another run at it. Was always interested in that game--a shame it became one of the final nails in Game Republic's coffin...

[quote name='collector42']Thanks fellow CAGs. Perhaps I'll try another run at it. Was always interested in that game--a shame it became one of the final nails in Game Republic's coffin...[/QUOTE]

You can order it for about that price frm Zavvi right now as well. And Im sure it will be on sale soon since no one bought it.

Dont knock your head over this as BBV. It seems most store are 0-1 copy to begin with.

Nothing special at the only stores I checked in Calgary. They actually marked up all the 2/12.98 games to 12.98 each! Can't believe how many people were buying stuff at only 15% off though...

UPDATES>
NEW STORE HOURS STARTING MONDAY SEPTEMBER 13 2011:

5825 Yonge Street, Toronto 416-222-5909 OPENS at 12pm-9Pm
75 Hanna Avenue, Toronto 416-516-6545 12PM-9PM
125 The Queensway, Etobicoke 416-503-3302 10AM-9PM
5230 Dundas Street West, Etobicoke 416-233-5699 12PM-9PM

Over the last day and a half I conducted a small expert with the BLOCKBUSTER stores in TORONTO.
I made a list of various popular games(both new and old) for all 3 systems and some blu-rays, to see what would be left over for Monday which many think will be the start of the new 40% discount stage. Almost all of the new release games from the 3 systems are gone with the exception of some still out on rental.(Resistance 3, Gran turismo, Catherine, Super Mario brothers games, bodycount, assassin creed revelations + 30 other titles).
A lot of Blu-rays are still left and still tons of even new release dvds.

Those that are waiting for 50%-70% will lose out because it seems panic buying has set in and people have bought most of the most popular stuff already. If anything is left for the 40% sale you can be sure they will be gone by weeks end before it reaches 50%. Stuff will be flying off the shelves tommorrow if it's 40% off so try to get there as soon as you can if you want deals.

Here's a break down of prices ONCE the 40% off discount is in effect.
RE-ADJUSTED PRICES AT 40% OFF.

Games at $12.98-40%=$7.81
AFTER TAXES=$8.83

NEW RELEASES GAMES

$59.99-40%=$36.00
AFTER TAXES=$40.68

$54.99-40%=$32.99
AFTER TAXES=$37.27

[quote name='dvdswapper']UPDATES>
NEW STORE HOURS STARTING MONDAY SEPTEMBER 13 2011:

5825 Yonge Street, Toronto 416-222-5909 OPENS at 12pm-9Pm
75 Hanna Avenue, Toronto 416-516-6545 12PM-9PM
125 The Queensway, Etobicoke 416-503-3302 10AM-9PM
5230 Dundas Street West, Etobicoke 416-233-5699 12PM-9PM

Over the last day and a half I conducted a small expert with the BLOCKBUSTER stores in TORONTO.
I made a list of various popular games(both new and old) for all 3 systems and some blu-rays, to see what would be left over for Monday which many think will be the start of the new 40% discount stage. Almost all of the new release games from the 3 systems are gone with the exception of some still out on rental.(Resistance 3, Gran turismo, Catherine, Super Mario brothers games, bodycount, assassin creed revelations + 30 other titles).
A lot of Blu-rays are still left and still tons of even new release dvds.

Those that are waiting for 50%-70% will lose out because it seems panic buying has set in and people have bought most of the most popular stuff already. If anything is left for the 40% sale you can be sure they will be gone by weeks end before it reaches 50%. Stuff will be flying off the shelves tommorrow if it's 40% off so try to get there as soon as you can if you want deals.

Here's a break down of prices ONCE the 40% off discount is in effect.
RE-ADJUSTED PRICES AT 40% OFF.

Games at $12.98-40%=$7.81
AFTER TAXES=$8.83

NEW RELEASES GAMES

$59.99-40%=$36.00
AFTER TAXES=$40.68

$54.99-40%=$32.99
AFTER TAXES=$37.27[/QUOTE]

If games are selling like hotcakes at 15% I doubt they will drop to 40% on Monday. Common sense.

[quote name='ichit4k4_set0']If games are selling like hotcakes at 15% I doubt they will drop to 40% on Monday. Common sense.[/QUOTE]

Games were selling faster at 30% during the last round of closures but they still dropped it after a week. No one knows for certain if it will be 40% off tommorrow but others think it might be.(Like JACKSORBETTA who first broke a lot of info for us on RFD.) Her intel is usually correct so I'll go tommorrow and check, then report back here.

[quote name='dvdswapper']Games were selling faster at 30% during the last round of closures but they still dropped it after a week. No one knows for certain if it will be 40% off tommorrow but others think it might be.(Like JACKSORBETTA who first broke a lot of info for us on RFD.) Her intel is usually correct so I'll go tommorrow and check, then report back here.[/QUOTE]

Maybe but its been only 3 days. not a week.

[quote name='dvdswapper']
[/QUOTE]

If people are willing to buy at 15-25% off BB's regular price, then so be it. The handful of items that were a deal with that discount (consoles, points cards and very new releases) were gone 10:05am Friday.

People who know what actual deals are when it comes to game and movie prices have no problem waiting for 50-70%. I for one know that if I don't find the handful of items I'm looking for at BB, I'll have no problem finding them elsewhere for the same (or better) prices at some point.

[quote name='mabba18']People who know what actual deals are when it comes to game and movie prices have no problem waiting for 50-70%. I for one know that if I don't find the handful of items I'm looking for at BB, I'll have no problem finding them elsewhere for the same (or better) prices at some point.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%! A $59.99 game for $40 isn't a fantastic deal when it'll be $29.99 or less in a couple of months. I'm not going to rush out and get a mediocre deal just because other people are doing so, or because the games might be gone before they actually go down to good prices. That's the opposite of being a CAG. :)

I've been to two Ottawa locations now, and they're both basically cleared out of DVDs and neither really has a game selection to speak of. Even at 40% off, there isn't a whole lot to grab there. No AAA titles at Bank st N or S (South Keys location).

JACKSORBETTA(the source of all the inside info from RFD) thinks it might be 40% off everything tommorrow. I'm going to one store that opens early and I'll report back here.
If the website changes tonight I'll also post it on here.

I just got back and it's still the same. I don't see how anyone is saving with this sale unless you're buying new games or something. I saw a guy walking around with a stack of DVDs under his arm and he's probably paying more for those with this sale than he would at HMV.

UPDATE!

Coles notes version

My apologies for those who really wanted stuff today, we'll just have to be patient a little while longer:)
They are awaiting a memo to be sent out about the future of the sales and stores.
Some stores are close to bare and will be closed early. We are not seeing the discount today because of the movies that might be in tommorrow.
September 13

Thor
Take Me Home Tonight
Star Wars : The Complete Saga
Glee Season 2
Lost Future
The Tempest
Incendies
American Breakdown
Good Neighbours
Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fourth Season

Games that were supposed to be released but might not:

Supremacy MMA PS3/360
White Knight Chronicles PS3
NHL 12 PS3/360
God of War: Origins Collection PS3

The movie companies and other retailers will be upset if these titles go for 40%, so they are deciding on what to do.

[quote name='afterburn999']They're call "Suckers", when they see SALE or CLEARANCE they think they are getting a deal.[/QUOTE]

I've made jokes about this. You should see if you can sell "$50" ice cream & then say it is on sale for 90% off :D

[quote name='telepathy']I've made jokes about this. You should see if you can sell "$50" ice cream & then say it is on sale for 90% off :D[/QUOTE]

I remember one Christmas I was at my local mall, and at one of those board game only kiosk things (in the middle of the mall aisle thingys) it said "board games, 50% off"

Me = :):):)

So I saw the Star Wars Trivial Pursuit DVD Edition game that I was looking for all Christmas Season

Me = :D:D:D

Saw the price tag, marked at (no shitting you) $99.99

Me = :applause::applause::applause:

So at 50% off, it came to $50, where other stores were selling it for around $40

I can't blame the so-called suckers. I'm almost happier to see them get a marginal deal at my expense, when the alternative is aggressive hoarders stripping the place bare. If their "deals" aren't deals at all, well, at least they think they're getting a deal...

That said, I still hope to get some reasonable bargains on some newer game stuff. I guess we'll see... my two nearest Blockbusters had some stuff I was interested in last time I visited. Whether it's there when prices drop may be another story :)

[quote name='afterburn999']They're call "Suckers", when they see SALE or CLEARANCE they think they are getting a deal.[/QUOTE]

Have fun getting nothing when they finally bother to put the 40-50% sales. Every single BB is getting wiped clean as we speak.

Also, I've asked a few BB employees, and they have no clue when the better sale will even start.

[quote name='OmegaChaos']Have fun getting nothing when they finally bother to put the 40-50% sales. Every single BB is getting wiped clean as we speak.

Also, I've asked a few BB employees, and they have no clue when the better sale will even start.[/QUOTE]

I don't plan on buying anything from BB, they price games 10-15% above market and then offer a crappy 15% discount. I will check one out next week to see if i can get resistance 3 cheaper than my FS e3 order but i have zero expectations on that.

The futureshop e3 deal really saved me a lot of time this fall, every AAA title for 39.99, cant go wrong.

Yeah, I did the Future Shop E3 deal as well so my fall is all taken care of for a price that's easy to handle. I wonder how much healthier non-blockbuster titles (pardon the pun here in this thread) would be if they were all priced at $39.99. I know that I would buy a lot more games that I would otherwise balk at when priced at $59.99-69.99

[quote name='afterburn999']I don't plan on buying anything from BB, they price games 10-15% above market and then offer a crappy 15% discount. I will check one out next week to see if i can get resistance 3 cheaper than my FS e3 order but i have zero expectations on that.

The futureshop e3 deal really saved me a lot of time this fall, every AAA title for 39.99, cant go wrong.[/QUOTE]

I don't know what BlockBuster you go to, but the ones near me have their games priced at retail prices. Though, most of them aren't in the original casings.

I think what he means is several stores had LBP2, Killzone 3 etc for $29.99 or lower in the past month. So selling these games at $59.99 minus 15% isn't a good deal by any means.

[quote name='OmegaChaos']I don't know what BlockBuster you go to, but the ones near me have their games priced at retail prices. Though, most of them aren't in the original casings.[/QUOTE]

NOT ALL BLOCKBUSTERS are wiped clean as some people suggest.
Depends on location. Out of the 4 locations in Toronto left only one is down to 1/4 store left. There are still some good deals left at the 40% discount, nothing for trading.
For the average consumer getting 40% off a game that's $54.99 is a steal, considering most places like EB/future/Best still have that game used at $50+ for the next few months.

JACKSORBETTA(from RFD) thinks it will be tommorrow FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 16/2011 that the next discount will start. I was in one location this morning and I saw staff putting games aside so something must be coming soon. I will keep you posted..........

Yes.
To be fair she was also the one that broke the news the first time around.
98% of the time she's been right, so I'll head down tommorrow again to check.
This sale won't be at current discounts until OCT 1ST(end of sale) at some point they'll have to drop.
BLOCKBUSTER FACEBOOK has it that phones/accessories are now at 25% off(only phones sold by BLOCKBUSTER, not from the WIND KIOSKS), so something must be coming. I'll keep you posted.

I checked out some stores in Edmonton including Millwoods, Riverbend and Heritage. They are for the most part picked clean as far as games go.

[quote name='cheapdude299']All of them? I'm out on the west coast.[/QUOTE]
Beats me. I just wasted time going to one for 10am here in Wpg, but they open at noon.

A lot of people were there just cleaning out the used games to use them for trade in credit.

I only had a few bucks to spend so I picked up Sacred 2 for $20, $40 cheaper than anywhere else.

[quote name='cheapdude299']Gentlemen...... Start your engines.......[/QUOTE]

Engines fully stopped. all the good stuff is already gone. Good luck paying 40% off on crappy games you dont really want but buy anyway to justify the hunt.

Oakville (Cornwall Rd) had copies of NHL 12 360 & PS3... 40% off not too shabby for a game released 3 days ago

Decent stock left, I probably over paid for Shadows of the Damned (59.99 - 40%), oh well, I did resist Driver tho.

A friend of mine asked about XBL points cards, he said they have them but not allowed to sell them, so might be worth asking if you get a less knowledgable rep

[quote name='PapaLau']Oakville (Cornwall Rd) had copies of NHL 12 360 & PS3... 40% off not too shabby for a game released 3 days ago

Decent stock left, I probably over paid for Shadows of the Damned (59.99 - 40%), oh well, I did resist Driver tho.

A friend of mine asked about XBL points cards, he said they have them but not allowed to sell them, so might be worth asking if you get a less knowledgable rep[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info.

Westcoast update: ok I just stopped at the new Westminster location and the sign on the door said "all locations open at 12pm". So there's still some time to plan your strategies.

picked up insidious, troll hunter, and paul on blu-ray so my main wishlist went 3/3.

also got nhl 12 as part of the 25% off scale, though it scanned wrong and i got it for $15.

Lots of games left at the Queensway location in TORONTO.
I was there an hour ago, got

duke nukem
mass effect 2
transformers war of cybertron
bulletstorm

They still had a ds lite/pink for $99.00-40% off.
going back out to get

4 copies of nhl12 each system.

I got there at about 11:55 and just as I was parking this guy pulls up, jumps outta his car and ran, ran to the door. The store wasn't open yet.

:applause: I felt a slow clap coming on.

I did manage to score No More Heroes for PS3 for $25 though. Move and accessories would probably be a good investment here as well. I'm going to check back for that when the inevitably do 50% or more (c'mon 75%!).

Just got back from Millwoods location in Edmonton. Picked up a PS Move bundle, NHL 12, Resistance 3, and No More Heroes, all sealed. They also had White Knight Chronicles 2, but I resisted. Lots of copies of NHL behind the counter if anyone is interested.

bread's done
Back