CAG contest is over....Congrats to Super_Nerd!

I dont know if this will count since its 5 games not one, but mine is The Orange Box (360).

What is there not to like, it has a little bit of everything. Three games from one of the best gaming series ever made (HL2, Episode 1&2), it has a a great FP puzzle game (Portal), it also has my favorite online multiplayer game Team Fortress 2.

Game: Super Mario 64

Reasoning: I try to play all types and styles of games- I really do. Over the 500+ games that I have played, the game (for the time) that really blew me away was Super Mario 64. I grew up on 2D, like many of you- and for me, it was a holy shit moment. Not only did it look amazing, it played wonderfully. To this day, it has not been surpassed in what it did, which was revolutionize a medium- AND become the standard (camera controls, platformers since... etc.).

Games such as Banjo-Kazooie took the formula that Super Mario 64, and added more to it. Even if Banjo-Kazooie did more than Mario, it was not the first. It was an enhanced copy of sorts. In my opinion, all platformers since fit that description.

While Super Mario Galaxy is easily better, it isn't the foundation of the 3d and platforming genres.

Shadowrun - What a deep console FPS game. Sadly, the end of FASA killed the support it desperately needed. However, I still love it and play it everyday. The community is still solid and small enough to allow you to recognize regular SR players. The magic, tech and weapons allow the game to be played different evey time.

Dragon Warrior IV - Leaps and bounds above any other rpg of its time. THE rpg for the nes.

Final Fantasy VI - Again, the defining moment of rpgs on the snes.

Asheron's Call - This game sucked way too much of my childhood away. Amazing mmo until they let the cheaters take over

Metal Gear Solid for original PSX. The most cinematic video game experience available at the time (and still an amazing experience today). It totally drew me in, opened my eyes to a new genre of games and still has a special place in my shelf.

The King's Quest series were always my favorite. I loved being able to type in commands to your character. It's not a format that I see a lot of but at the time it was really cool to me.

Shenmue - for dreamcast.
When I dove right into the game, I never expected what was about to unfold. A driven story with deep adventure elements unlike any games before seen. Shenmue not only visually revolutionary for it's time but rather allow you to step into the shoe of another being in it's own world. Shenmue has perfected the real life concept allowing players to observe just about everything surrounding him. The game allows you grab a tea cub to observe, check the refridgerator, or even opening the living room's cabinet to reveal a rather surprisingly sega saturn and yes you can even play it when you able to obtain actaul copies of the game within the game. The game has little to no limitations as what you can do in this game. I can proceed with the story or I can wander all around the town looking for a good conversations or even just wander til I see an arcade where I stumbled across actual real games that was once part of real arcade lineup.

As I do all these activities, time continue to fly by, dusk to dawn and the cycle of day continues each day. During that time, I might have missed phone calls at certain dates or events happened while I doing something else but this is how diverse and huge Shenmue was. This game begins by captured my attention which lead to robbing the precious hours of my day and before you know it, the whole day fly by like in the game so quick that I began to wonder how ironic I spent so much time in this game rather then doing these in real life. The answer is simple, Shenmue was a phenomenal original game from start to finish and it left it's mark in my heart that can never been taking away by today's games standards. *staring at Heavy Rain.. need shenmue dose..*

Holy Cow! Those prizes are awesome. Thanks you so much for the chance OP!

Hmmm, as far as single player games go I would say a three way tie with Ocarina of Time, Shadow of the Colossus, and Mass Effect. All of them are completely epic in their own way.

HOWEVER, those are not my winners. I must say Super Smash Bros is my favorite simply because I have had so much fun playing it. Whether it was on N64 and I would stay up until the wee hours with my cousins rocking that game. Or even until now when you can find me here in college playing Brawl until 4am with buddies of mine. It is just a blast to get 4 people together (or more) and just goof around and play an amazing game. (It doesn't hurt either that I generally always win against my friends : p)

My favorite game last gen was Final Fantasy X. Which is why my most anticipated game right now is FFXIII, because it looks like a return to form. FFX really grew on me. The first time I played it I was turned off by the linear feel & lack of overworld map. After a good friend kept raving about it, I decided to play through it a second time. This time I didn't focus on what the game wasn't & just enjoyed it for what it was. I fell on love with the characters & became addicted to the combat. It's now my favorite FF of all time.

GTA Vice City (PS2)- This was probably the most fun I've ever had with any videogame. This was when open world "sandbox" games were still a pretty new idea, and Vice City was my introduction to the genre. I had a friend at work who was playing the game at the same time I was, and it was cool to go into work and talk about all the crazy things we had found and/or tried in the game that day. I also loved the 80's setting and soundtrack. As much as I still love the GTA series, the newness of it all that I experienced with Vice City keeps that title at the top of my favorites list.

Thanks for the contest!

My favorite would have to be Final Fantasy Tactics on the PS1. I've played some great games since but it's always held the top spot. I really should get around to the PSP remake soon.

One of my favorite games for the SNES would have to be Zombies Ate My Neighbors. No other game has captured the feeling of schlock horror completely while maintaining the intuitive controls of arcade-style, Smash TV-like action. Right as you start the first level you get to hear the crushing boots of Frankenstein and an eerie soundtrack right out of the B-52s handbook. The action is nonstop, since you'll never know which civilian is next in line to be murdered, or which new monster will require a quick change-up in the funky weapons selection (from popsicles, to soda cans, to silverware), or which level the branching exit doors will warp you to next. What other game has hedge mazes with chainsaw maniacs, football fields with teleporting Martians, or mega malls with killer dolls?

Even though I love the Resident Evil series, I find myself going back to the game mechanics of Zombies Ate My Neighbors and asking, "Hey, RE, why can't you use trampolines to jump over fences? Why can't I shoot a bazooka at a barricade of parked cars from a bird's eye view?" Resident Evil has the George Romero down pat, but only ZAMN inspires the imagination just like ol' Vincent Price did.

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past for SNES.

As kids, my brother and I would compete to see who could beat games the fastest. Though this game is hardly challenging to an old fogey like myself, I remember spending AGES trying to figure out the weaknesses of the bosses in the dungeons, all while trying to do so without my brother spying and subsequently using my techniques in his own save file.

Those were good times.

Knights of the Old Republic Last Gen (Xbox/PC)
By far the best RPG I've ever played, the deep story, the character portrayal and the open-ness about visiting different planets. Its definitely a Bioware game, has the same feel, and it's basically the predecessor to Mass Effect, one of my other favourite games.

I would like to say ME2. However, I have not completed it yet, so I have to reserve final judgment. Beyond that I have to say my favorite game is Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past. That title had some of the best game design I have ever seen. I enjoyed everything about it. The just don't make them like that anymore.

My favorite is Final Fantasy X.

It is the only reason why I still have my old PS2. The story had me hooked, the characters are memorable (I :heart: you Tidus), I really enjoyed the gameplay, and I was a beast at blitzball. It doesnt help that I am slightly OCD and had to collect EVERY item and fill out everyone's sphere grid. My college roommate HATED me when this game came out, cause I played it so much.

I am praying for a PS3 re-release of FFX sometime in the future :pray:

Thanks for the contest!

Final Fantasy 7. Very emotional for a video game as epic as it is. Who didn't get a lump in their throat when you've seen Aeries die T.T

Super metroid for SNES. It's just a classic game and any one with good taste in games will tell you that is one of the best of all time. It was just so fun to play.

Man, favorite game...that's tough.

I think I'd have to go with Dance Dance Revolution Extreme JP, because I've spent the most time playing it out of any game. The songs are fantastic and it really shows DDR at its peak.

The Legend of Zelda (NES)

Never have I enjoyed a game so much, to the point where I can still play through it on a weekly basis. I know every burnable tree, every spot I can bomb, and what I'll find in those secret areas.

The game-play is basic, but extremely fun, with some of gaming's best music of all-time. It's one of the original formula used over and over today, and its become an known icon to all gamers.

Played too many games that are "favorites" and just can't top eachother, so I'm just going to go with my original favorite, Command and Conquer (the original).

This game single-handedly got me, as well as my immediate family (yes, including my mom!) addicted (as a kid, no less!) to gaming in general. Soon after, I got injected into the "LAN Party scene" and had hours upon hours of fun with my family, and my brother's friends, with this game (as well as Doom/Doom 2/Duke Nukem 3D and Quake 1).

I'm still waking up, so... Er. Thank you, CNC! You truly conquered the past. :fridge:

And thank you OP.

my favorite game this gen would probably be Killzone 2. The graphics are incredible. The multiplayer is terribly addicting and the campaign was great. Just talking about it makes me want to replay it. ok. I'm going to go play killzone 2 now. peace and thanks for the contest.

Persona 4, I love the high school murder mystery turned save the town by jumping in a tv and fighting your inner self. The game is crazy and super fun, something new for a genre that isn't known for innovating.

My Favorite Game hands down has to be Monster Hunter Freedom Unite for the PSP, that game is so damn epic:) Its probably due to the fact that you need skill in order to play not exp(lvling)...

Thanks for the contest man. I would have to say Halo 2 for Xbox Original. Personally I think that was when MLG was at it's best, with skill being the leading factor to winning. Loved it

Golden Eye. With all the cool codes to put in (like big heads) and the 4-player multiplayer it was always the game to play at friends houses. The first part of every game was a race to the golden gun and it just got more entertaining from there lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite game of all time would have to be Final Fantasy 7. I was more of a casual gamer until my brother picked this gem up when it was released. Everything about it captivated me. The characters, the gameplay, the story, the excellent soundtrack. This is the game that got me interested in RPG's as a genre (besides Zelda).

Sephiroth has got to be one of the greatest villians ever. The character development and motivations behind each one were beautifully done. The soundtrack perfectly captured the emotions of the game.

I havent played FF7 in way too long..maybe I'll download it from PSN. Thanks for the memories and the contest, OP.

Super Mario Brothers 3 for me. I've played it so many times as a kid, and still have played it growing up. I played it so much, along with my brother (and even my sister), we used to screw around with the TV settings (this was back in the day, so think of an older TV set with dials) and see how far we'd get. I remember setting the brightness all the way down, so you saw nothing and only went off sound. I made it quite a bit through the game before dying; and it was still quite fun. It's sickening how much I've played that game, and it's also amazing how well it holds up to this day.

I'd still say it's easily my favorite game of all-time, there has just been nothing that even comes close to matching the fun and replayability that is housed in SMB3.

Final Fantasy III for SNES. I never played an RPG before I played that game, and I've only played a few since, but that game was incredible. It had like fourteen characters, and everyone of them had an interesting back story and unique fighting abilities. The story was amazing, the espers/magic set-up was cool, there was an opera you took part in towards the end that rocked, the bad guys were truly evil, the hidden characters...I didn't even realize how much I loved this game until just now. This needs to be on XBL or PSN or remade or something. Someone get that done please.

Secret of Mana (Snes).

I have such fond memories of it probably mainly due to the fact that I played it with my sibling and cousin when we were little. It was also a very good game for its time though. Other than that, there's not too much things that stand out about it, except for Flammie (and possibly the dancing salesman).

Here’s my favorite games from each generation of games I have been a part of:
NES– Super Mario Bros. 3
GB Phat/Game Gear – Metroid 2
SNES/Genesis – Super Mario World
Playstation/N64 – Final Fantasy VII
GBA – Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
PS2/Xbox/GCN/Dreamcast – Silent Hill 2/Skies of Arcadia
NDS/PSP – Meteos/Lumines
PS3/360/Wii – Uncharted 2
PC – Planescape Torment

I would have to go with Shadow of the Colossus. The sense of scale in that game was just awe-inspiring, especially when coupled with the overall mood - that feeling of being alone in this wide open world, just you and your trusty steed. Each and every colossus fight was always staggeringly awesome and varied from the rest, and figuring out the "puzzle" of defeating each one was a great experience.

My Favorite game will be..

umm, well,
The Orange Box

It was my favorite Compilation (3 games and 2 expansions in one disc) game ever since i got it on October 16, 2007. Yep i even remember the date!
Why? because that day was after my birthday.
I received a few dollars and i inmediately ran to wal-mart and grabbed The Orange Box for the xbox 360. The Orange Box was released on October 10, 2007. :D
BEST
BIRTHDAY PRESENT
EVER (that i gave myself of course :cry:)

After that day, Me and The Orange Box became...one! :hot:

Half Life 2 -
It was my first time ever playing HL2. I played it on Hard and enjoyed every bit of the Freeman adventure on City 17 to Nova Prospect to the Citadel.
Then i jumped into each Episode 1 and Episode 2. I have to say, i inmediately became a fan of HL. Even though i never played HL1 t begin with and i was a bit clueless on the story. i did read a small summary of HL1 before i jumped to HL2. :D

Portal -
"This was a triumph"
:) I was confused on this game as well. The atmosphere of this game was just something else. You were a damn test subject all along. lol. I really loved the portal gun concept and i am anticipating a realease of it in Episode 3 or HL3. I also loved the Still Alive song, i thought it was witty! :D

Team Fortress 2 -
Well,
"Um, I-I don't even know where to start with you. I mean, do you even know who you're talking to? Do you have any idea, any idea who I am? Basically, kind of a big deal.....
....You listening? Okay… Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and—brother—I hurt people.
I'm a force of nature.
If you were from where I was from, you'd be f——ing dead.

Whoooo!
" - Team Fortress 2, The Scout
scout_bonk.jpg

:D

I looooooooooooooooooooooved TF2. i cant emphasize my love enough.
should you see proof? ok here it is.
Ladies and Gentlemen, My The Orange Box Disc and its glorious scratches...
picture002kj.jpg

:D
lol in-person, those scratches look better, shinier and deeper.

Each scratch tells a story.
The pain of each match i endured as each of my team mates died on me.
The satisfaction one gets as one carries the whole damn team through a match.
The manly moments that i said "lol F it" and went towards the enemy with my melee and getting a critical on him/her. :D
The heads that were popped when i was a sniper. :cold:
The rage that was caused as i died due to a stupid cause as a damn spy. i could have swore the enemy never saw me coming as a spy. :whee:
The joy of me spamming the "Medic" button as a scout. MEDIC. MEDIC. DOKTAH. DOCTOR. KAAWN ON MAN!. MEDIC. MEDIC. MEDIC.
The glorious matches that i ended up being Ranked 1 in a match or being top 3 overall, followed by the astonished voices saying "He doesnt even have a mic!", "Oh my god seerawdz" "what the hell, that sniper is cheating!" "seerawdz is on our team this time!" "kick that dude man!" and/or ended by me getting kicked with a message saying "you are a hacker". Xbl is awesome! :cool:

Frankly, i hate all the shooters that were released in 2007,2008,2009, 2010(?). I kept with Tf2 and stuck with it all the way to the present.
Surely it seems outdated and MW2 came out and BC2 will also come out. But neither of those shooters offered the fresh and new FPS breath of fun and innovation that Team Fortress 2 brought to the table.

i wish i can go on, frankly...but..well.. :booty:

[quote name='RyanJW']I can't win but that's okay! I'm still going to participate :)

My favorite game is Shenmue, definitely one of the most well-written unfinished stories I've ever seen.[/QUOTE]

I would have to agree with Shenmue for my favorite game that I'm guessing a lot of people haven't played? The storyline was great, the gameplay was innovative, and I really wished they would have finished the series on a next-gen system.

Here's hoping Yakuza 3 is similar to Shenmue.

i gotta go with half life, not because of the story or gameplay or anything like that. but just because i remember all those all night frag fests in the computer lab in college. good stuff

There are so many games that I love, it's hard to choose! I don't know if it is my favorite but the game I seem to have been playing over and over again is team fortress 2, I have hundreds of hours in that game...

My favorite game would be Sonic Adventure. It was the first game I got for my Sega Dreamcast which I won in a ticket raffle. The graphics blew me away and was amazed at the time that all the characters talked instead of with text. I stayed up late into the night several times doing everything in that game.

My favorite game at the moment is Disgaea 3. After hundreds of hours of improving my characters and listening to hilarious dialogue I'm still not maxed out.

Bioshock- The atmosphere, graphics, soundtrack and gameplay were all top notch and really dragged you in. I have played through the game at least 5 times.

Runners Up:
The Legend of Zelda: ALTTP
Halo
Driver 1/2

My favorite game is STILL Little Nemo: Dream Master from the NES. It was just so amazing to me as a kid, and still amazing if I play it this day.

It was challenging, but not frustrating. Changing into the animals by giving them candy was something unique, finding all the keys and different paths were awesome. I love SMB3, but Little Nemo still holds a special place in my heart.

bread's done
Back