CAGcast #202: The E3 2010 Not So Limited Collector's Edition

[quote name='Broken Cage']QQ more? Really? That was like three years ago now.

If you can't tell the difference between a statement like "ginger" and "Daywalker" and telling someone you've known for five years that you "don't really know them." Then... I don't even know what to say to you. You're obviously not human.

Edit: Here's the difference: Wombat never seems malicious. He thinks he's funny, even when he's not. I've never heard Wombat say anything out of hate. Even when he made fun of me, I laughed. Cheapy seemed to really be shitting on him, as a person, not just someone trying to be funny.[/QUOTE]

3YRs AGO? considering shipwreck just started on the cagcast recently thats not true

wombat = crybaby

[quote name='dizee']3YRs AGO? considering shipwreck just started on the cagcast recently thats not true

wombat = crybaby[/QUOTE]

The phrase QQ More was three years ago. You're not exactly observant, are you? That's why I seperated that comment from the rest of my post.

[quote name='Broken Cage']The phrase QQ More was three years ago. You're not exactly observant, are you? That's why I seperated that comment from the rest of my post.[/QUOTE]

you should clarify next time you run your mouth imo

[quote name='Corvin']I don't usually post in the show thread (unless there is a contest lol) but had to come and chime in. What a couple of douchebags. Sheesh. You could tell from the audio that Shipwreck knew they were crossing a line and backed off a bit, but Cheapy just plowed full steam ahead.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly how I felt during the show. It was kind of awkward to listen to, really.

I already felt it starting at the beginning where Cheapy told Wombat he hardly knew him, just because they spent little time together in real-life. This shows Wombat values internet-friendship as much as real-life friendships, which I guess is the same for me. Cheapy however, must feel these two kinds of friendships are really different, so it's harder for him to call Wombat a 'friend', like other people he knows in real life. I had this happen to me before, where I was the Wombat of the story.

That said, after this comment by Cheapy, both Cheapy and Shipwreck started to make mean comments to Wombat. Sure it was meant to be fun, friendly pokes to Wombat, but surely Wombat was already feeling a bit down by Cheapy's previous comment and couldn't really take those pokes as he usually would. It was obvious Shipwreck quickly realized this, but sadly Cheapy (as he says himself) can be an ass sometimes and didn't realize at all.

I listened to Shipwreck's Audioboo, which wasn't a real surprise, but was more expecting one from Cheapy, who was the bigger bully of the two. I'm sure we'll hear more of this next podcast.

After listening to the podcast, it seems like everyone in this thread is blowing this whole thing way out of proportion. From the tone of Wombat's voice, it seemed like he was just pretending to be upset (which I think has happened before on the CAGcast). If he was really upset, I think he would've just switched off his Skype, yet he kept going and even laughed with Cheapy and Ship a little afterwards.

Although, I have to say, I've been getting a little bored with the CAGcast lately and after reading the forum thread, it actually got me interested in listening again to find out what all the fuss was about. So I guess the moral here is: if you guys started adding in these "fake feud" wrestling-style storylines to boost your listener-ship, then IT'S WORKING!

Here's the issue you people in the forum don't seem to be getting here, Wombat was basically double-teamed here.

Both CheapyD and Shipwreck both bashed him even though Ship was a little more quiet on it. After 4 years of doing the show with JUST Cheapy and then being put down after all that time, it's probably disheartening.

It started off when he repeatedly said he didn't really know Wombat. BULLSHIT. You'd know him if you actually paid some attention. I bet all of us know Wombat more then you do.

Basically they made him feel unwanted, which is not something anyone wants to feel. So yeah.
Other than that, it was a decent show.

its kinda funny how noone called out both cheapy and wombat when they poke fun at shipwreck but when cheapy and shipwreck poke some fun at wombat, a riot occurs.

along with the ginger/daywalker etc. comments, I can remember both cheapy and wombat making jokes about shipwrecks cat which died recently during 1 of the podcast in the past.

IF YOU DISH IT, YOU CAN TAKE IT.

[quote name='dizee']you should clarify next time you run your mouth imo[/QUOTE]

Sure, cause two seperate paragraphs wasn't enough clarification. Next time I'll draw it out in crayon so I don't hurt your wittle brain.

Edit: And just to clarify now, if I had been referring to the comments about Shipwreck, I'd have said, "Ginger? Daywalker? That was like a month ago." Instead I referenced your comment, "QQ More." Because... Well... That's what I was commenting on. Now you're clear.

I can get where cheapy is coming from on the not knowing wombat as well as shipwreck. I've known some people online for like ten years and meeting then in person was still weird and doing E3 together is like becoming hetero life partners for 5 days

[quote name='dizee']its kinda funny how noone called out both cheapy and wombat when they poke fun at shipwreck but when cheapy and shipwreck poke some fun at wombat, a riot occurs.

along with the ginger/daywalker etc. comments, I can remember both cheapy and wombat making jokes about shipwrecks cat which died recently during 1 of the podcast in the past.

IF YOU DISH IT, YOU CAN TAKE IT.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree that if you dish it, you need to take it, and I think Wombat has proven time and time again that he can do both. I think everyone knows when it is a joke, and I for one have never felt uncomfortable listening to the CAGcast. Everyone involved knows it is all in fun, but this was over the line. I felt really bad for Wombat. You could tell it went quickly from joking to over the line. It was really uncomfortable. If it gets uncomfortable you know something isn't right about the situation.

The CAGcast is the reason that I started to go to the site. I would even argue the site became what it was because of the podcast, without Wombat and the podcast the site wouldn't be what it is today. Wombat has done a lot for the site and to get shit on was uncalled for.

Well, I came here to stick up for wombat, but it seems like this is well covered.

Yeah, just gonna throw it out there, but you and shipwreck were total assholes last night.

Either way, I don't want to be a total bitch about it, but I just wanted to say it.

And to Cheapy, I have a podcast recommendation: The Adam Carolla Show. It is a daily 2 hour podcast that is almost like a Stern ripoff but also carries its own personality and humor. I dunno, seemed up your alley.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMFG amazing podcast!

Don't apologize Cheapy! You really don't know Wombat , you guys have a professional relationship.

I strongly believe that Wombat is medically retarted. If this is true then ok Cheapy and Shipwreck were wrong in pummeling him. But I think that Wombat would adamantly deny this so Cheapys and Shipwrecks pummeling should stand. If he is (what I suspect) medically retarted then it really is on CHeapy. He should have realized that he has had run ins before with his bizarre behavior and him going to E3 was just not a good idea.

If Wombat really is not a sub primate, then bravo to Cheapy, this is the only way that Wombat will ever stop, you gotta kick people's ass sometimes.

Where to go from here. I hope Wombat seriously thinks about quitting, he doesn't make any real money from the website and really contributes nothing.

Shipwreck your audioboo sounded like when Kramer apologized on Letterman and everybody was like huh?

Your reviews are really good though, so you stay :)

[quote name='chaseamazon']I strongly believe that Wombat is medically retarted. [/QUOTE]

Stuff like this always makes me laugh.

over all a good cagcast...aside from the raping of wombat. the only thing i thought was messed up about it is when cheapy said a few times that he doesn't know wombat and didnt really enjoy his company, he made it sound like he just walked off the street and started talking to him. little cold hearted, it sounded to real and less like a joke and seeing that cheapy doesn't know wombat guess he wont miss him when he decides not to do the cast anymore. so far im not sold on the motion control stuff i need to see more and more interesting games.

Wow... Cheapy was cold as ice towards Wombat in this episode. The way he shut him down whenever the issue of their friendship was brought up made him sound emotionally stunted, but I'd be lying if I said the callousness didn't lead to some very entertaining podcasting. :D

Wombat, you're awesome. I hate what happened to you on the show. You have been on top of your game the past few months. I know a certain podcast who would welcome you with open arms.

WOMBAT RULES !!!

While I usually think that Wombat is overly sensitive, I felt bad for him this time.

It was sad that Cheapy treated him like some random stranger. You guys are supposed to be the fucking dynamic duo of my favorite podcast! Get it together.

That was a bit awkward to listen to.

The e3 coverage was better i guess... Hopefully they make up next week and cheapy apologizes for acting like a high school douche.

I think we just got more of the Howard Stern Cheapy this week, which would have been fine if Wombat felt like playing along. But he didn't, and Cheapy and Ship didn't pick up on it soon enough (or, in Cheapy's case, at all).

This is the downside of the three man format. It's easy for two people to pick on the third and go too far without realizing it. I feel bad for everyone, because as much as I think Cheapy was too "honest" with Wombat, I also believe that he wasn't trying to be malicious. Spending an entire week with someone can stir up the waters, no matter how close they are. Airing those annoyances on a podcast is just asking for trouble.

I get what Cheapy meant by feeling like he doesn't know Wombat that well. I've spent the past few years recording podcasts with guys I've never met in real life, and if I ever met them it would feel like I was getting to know them for the first time. Maybe the fact that Wombat stayed in NY while Cheapy moved his whole life to Japan is one reason Wombat feels like things never changed between them, but Cheapy doesn't see it that way. All to say that Wombat is owed an apology, but I'm sure he'll get it if he hasn't already. None of these guys are jerks.

Even though this happened in public, we should probably let them fix it in private.

Yea, have to agree with the other peps, that was a pretty shitty experience for Wombat. Its one thing to joke, but you could obviously tell that he was uncomfortable, and that didn't really stop you guys. I mean i love the show, but that was just terrible. hoping for a better show next week...

I've been listening to the CAGcast for months now but never cared enough to comment until now.

Damn, Cheapy, you were a complete Bro to Wombat. Insensitive and just snarky in some of the shit you said to him, and it was clear he wasn't laughing with you and you just kept doing it. Then when it was incredibly obvious, you kept making jokes in a pathetic attempt to lighten the mood. I think you owe him a sincere apology, not necessarily on the air or anything, but just between friends. I was literally cringing through the last 30 minutes of the 1st 'cast, and it left me in a sour mood for the rest of the day.

I just can't believe that Cheapy said he doesn't really know Wombat after doing 200 podcasts together. And way to rub it in Cheapy.

Wombat, you should have used your wombat powers and showed them what's what!

To people whining about how they treated wombat, you must not have friends because if they weren't friends maybe that would have been offensive but obviously they're good friends. As wombat eats their food without asking and they obviously don't care, they talk massive amounts of shit to wombat and he doesn't care.

Haven't hit the controversy yet, but I'll post a quick note. If you think back to before MS launch the NXE, the 360 had an option to automatically download XBLA titles, but scrapped it when the NXE launched. I'll probably repost this in the CAGBag later this week

EDIT: OK so I finished the CAGCast. It sounds like Wombat let his guard down and wanted to let the guys know what a good time he had. You know Real-talk, no-homo stuff (that what the kids say now right?) and Cheapy and Ship just went to far. Everyone has faults and our friends accept them because they enjoy our company. After 5 days it's easy to let the little things get to you and go too far. Especially when it's Wombat's first E3 and it's old hat for everyone else. Was he unprofessional by loading up on swag, then wearing it? A little bit, but you guys gotta lay out the ground rules for the "team" before you go. Can't be mad at a guy for making a rookie mistake on his rookie trip. Glad to hear Ship's apology today, I'm sure Cheapy will follow-up as well.

Wombat, we have heard you dish out some trash and most of us agree it got a little too real. I hope you forgive the guys and stay with CAG.

yea i kinda felt bad for wombat, he obviously sounded bummed when they were ragging on him. i think cheapy saying they weren't good friends hurt his feelings the most, after 200 shows i think it constitutes being good friends even if you haven't hung out in person too much.

Wombat, way to keep up the good attitude and humor even when you were bummed. That's what makes you a great entertainer and an important part of the CAGCast.

The Wombat comments made this really awful to listen to, I'm surprised he simply didn't get up and leave - felt really bad for him. Cheapy dismissing the strength of the friendship, one Wombat obviously treasures, simply because it was most online was just awful.

Seriously Wombat is awesome, he doesn't get paid for doing this and he defiantly needs more respect. This has been the only CAG Cast I haven't enjoyed and I just hope him and Cheapy can work things out and he's at the next E3. It would hurt CAG greatly to push Wombat away.

Wow, I almost felt like I was the one getting bent over in that show. I can honestly say that's the first time I felt sad and awkward listening to a podcast. I've listened to this podcast for 3 years now, and that was a terrible lack of disregard for someone's feelings. To make matters worse, it was a tag team effort. Shipwreck may have not been the instigator, but he was the backup. This was one big bully session. I would have been hurt if that were me. I understand that Wombat can be annoying and over the top at times, but don't air the dirty laundry in front of thousands of listeners, it's completely unprofessional.

I agree with the above poster. Wombat obviously feels there's a strong friendship with Cheapy after being on a show with them for almost 5 years. And apparently that "internet" friendship isn't reciprocal. I can already hear Cheapy on the next CAGCast saying halfheartedly that it was taken the wrong way. No one likes listening to a podcast like that. It's weird, it's awkward, and it's unprofessional.

The CAG community loves you Wombat - don't let the excessive ribbing by CheapyD & Shipwreck get you down. I think they now see they went a bit too far.

The CAGcast wouldn't be the same without Wombat. His analysis and viewpoints on marketing have always been insightful. He provides a unique and complimentary voice to CheapyD (and now Shipwreck).

Keep up the good work Wombat. Hopefully Cheapy will come around and show a bit more respect for your contributions to the CAGcast. I feel that Shipwreck is a stand-up guy and likely has tried to make his amends already.

[quote name='bmulligan']Wombat-
...Remember, we love you. fuck that bald guy.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

[quote name='Lice']That was a bit awkward to listen to.

The e3 coverage was better i guess... Hopefully they make up next week and cheapy apologizes for acting like a high school douche.[/QUOTE]

My guess is that he starts out the next show reading quotes from this thread from people on his side.

Personally, I agree with someone above that said to solve this shit off the air. We don't need a public apology, just mend those fences and move on with the show.

Oh, I actually sorta agree with Wombat on talking about Move/Kinect. It's obvious none of them give two shits about it, so why waste time talking about it? Isn't that the policy they have in place for Japanese RPGs? Why should this be any different?

I thought all day after I listened about a long drawn out post about the whole thing, but really I understand how all parties felt really. There comes a time where even the best of friends can get enough of each other enough to where it becomes annoying. I mean if I was Wombat going to my first E3 after working a job nonstop where i wasn't even sure of my job being secure, I would do the same thing. It had to be like a vacation for the guy, and hell he still had to work some. I am sure being away with friends and goofing off had to be the highlight of the guys year. Cheapy and Ship had been before so I am sure they had forgotten the feeling of how fun it is to be at your first E3. Plus with it being motion control focused I am sure Cheapy was already annoyed and I can't blame him either. It was just the perfect storm of things to make friends turn on each other.

I am sure it is also hard for Cheapy on a podcast to know for sure if Wombat is seriously hurt or not right away. I mean the guy takes ribbing after ribbing and pretends to be mad but is just joking.

I will defend Wombat to the teeth on the Lobster part. I mean whether he paid for dinner or not doesn't matter. I love food too, when I order something off a menu I want to eat what I ordered and I think about it until it comes. There is nothing more frustrating than getting less than you had hoped to get. I would have bitched the same way, but then again like Wombat I pretty much hate people too lol.

I hope this doesn't put a damper on what a great podcast this is. Maybe take a few weeks off of the show? you spent 5 days at each others hips and you need some time apart. Your chemistry is wonderful on the show and I hope it never changes.

I do agree with a lot of sentiments here.

This was not a fun Cagcast. You all sounds like good guys, and I can understand that Cheapy may not know Wombat all that well since they have not hung out in person a lot. Though Cheapy, the way you presented yourself is hurtful. You guys have talked, joked, shared stories, and even talked about great life events with each other on/off air. Even though I do not think that was your intention it sounded like you just blew all that off.

That...I mean wow. I felt hurt listening to this. You can honestly tell he was more excited meeting you two than anything else. He felt really apart of things with Cheapassgamer, and more importantly he felt like he a chance to meet with what he thought were close friends.

To find out that the person he talked to with regularity for 5 years basically just blew him off, and seemed to not even truly like his presence is hurtful. I honestly do not know what to say. Yes, Wombat can be a bit sensitive, but his is very justified.

Regardless Cheapy you should talk to Wombat off air. Seriously.

Also Wombat, as you can tell from these posts we CAGers do appreciate you. Even those who may disagree with you all the time do really appreciate you.

[quote name='shipwreck']I know, I cringed too. What I had intended as good natured ribbing turned sour, and I've apologized profusely to Wombat about it. Like any friendship, sometimes you say things that you regret - this just happened to be recorded...

We truly are friends though and we're cool now. That said, I'll be apologizing again next episode.[/QUOTE]

Stop apologizing. He'll never develop that thick skin that all wombats need to survive in the wild.

I know what Wombat was going through in this show because almost every time I go out with my "friends" they all start picking on me. So when they ask me if I want to go out with them, I tell them that I would rather just stay home and play games. If I was Wombat, I would of logged off of Skype. Wombat deserves free swag.

You guys did take it a little far, but, like Ship said, this stuff sometimes happens among friends. I think all that is really necessary is an honest apology on next week's show.

With all due respect to all sides, this shit is gayer than the Volleyball scene in Top Gun.

Wombat- grow a dick and get over it. Cheapy obviously likes you enough to pay your way to E3 in the first place. Not to mention he sounded crushed when he initially thought you couldn't come.

Cheapy- Stop with the Howard Stern impression. You aren't him and friend should always come before a laugh on the show.

Shipwreck- Seems like you learned a lesson but an AudioBoo apology? Lame.

[quote name='usickenme']With all due respect to all sides, this shit is gayer than the Volleyball scene in Top Gun.

Wombat- grow a dick and get over it. Cheapy obviously likes you enough to pay your way to E3 in the first place. Not to mention he sounded crushed when he initially thought you couldn't come.

Cheapy- Stop with the Howard Stern impression. You aren't him and friend should always come before a laugh on the show.

Shipwreck- Seems like you learned a lesson but an AudioBoo apology? Lame.[/QUOTE]

qft

I liked the Audioboos/Tweets/flickr on the frontpage during E3, it sounded like you were having a great time. The updates really gave a great point-of-view that few other websites really capture.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the first part of the podcast was pretty awkward to listen to. Everyone on the CAGcast brings their own perspective to the table and I thank you all for what you do.

I've done about 30min. of this show at work and I'm sorry to say, this is a friggin snooze fest. I really enjoyed CheapyD's 360 Towel trick but this... this is boringggggg...

Finished the show and dang after thinking about it for awhile Cheapy really railed on Wombat. I didn't think Shipwreck really did much but his audioboo apologizing makes me sooo happy he's on the show. Shipwreck is a real standup guy and I can only imagine what the show would have been like with just Cheapy and Wombat.

All I know is I'll expect the awkward for the next show but I think Wombat's a big enough man to let it go before then.

Wow, Cheapy. You're a dick. I know that being a dick is kind of your shtick and all, but in the 5 years you guys have been doing this show you seem incapable of acknowledging Wombat as an actual friend without the "I just do the show with this guy" bullshit. And this time you added multiple insults on top of it.

I've been listening to CAG for about 3 years and it amazes me that you can't man up and say that Wombat is your friend without any qualifiers.

bread's done
Back