CAGcast #202: The E3 2010 Not So Limited Collector's Edition

Im a long time listener (since Nov. of 2008) and this episode I heard something I never heard before. About an hour and a half in I heard something strange so I listened and re listened and couldnt figure it out. So I ran the audio through a sound analyzer. Turns out it was the sound of Wombat's heart breaking. Wombat says his favorite part of E3 was hanging out with Cheapy and Shipwreck and their responses..."I cant believe Wombat ate my food." This episode had more drama than a Lifetime Original. All I could picture this episode was Cheapy as the abusive husband, Wombat as the emotionally abused wife, and Shipwreck as the redheaded step child. That being said I do understand part of what Cheapy was trying to say. You need to be with a person to really know them in order to know all their subtle nuances. But a little advise Cheapy -when Wombat puts himself out there make a sincere thank you first THEN make the jokes. and Wombat- you and Cheapy sound so much like an old married couple that there is no doubt that Cheapy really does love you and so do fans like me.

OG Eric

I agree with everyone else. I love the show but the douchebaggery on Cheapy's part was ridiculous. Shipwreck was nowhere near as mean. Cheapy definitely ran with it. If Shipwreck can post an audioboo apology when he didn't even do much Cheapy definitely should be doing something more.

I'm really disappointed with the show this week. First time for everything I guess.

Nice audio boo apology shipwreck. I don't know if it was appropriate since you are going to talk about it on the next cagcast and have already apologized over the phone, IM, and on the forum. There is such a thing as apologizing to much. I can kind of understand that you might be apologizing to the fans also, but really we will all be tuning in to the next cagcast. No need to go overboard. Save the rest for the next cagcast.

Damn. I was looking forward to this big long CAGCast all day, and now I'm just depressed. Man was that ugly. Cheapy, either fire Wombat, or quit fucking picking on him all the time. You're going out of your way to make him feel unwelcome. You could apologize, but all you'd be apologizing for is making your feelings about him public. You can't say now that you don't actually feel that way. Wombat, I'm a big fan, but it's time to walk away. I certainly don't want to see you go, but you got degraded. And if you do go, I'm probably through with the CAGCast.

There has been tension just under the surface ever since Shipwreck joined the show (which isn't Shipwreck's fault).

I've never cared for all the poop and weed talk, but I still always liked Cheapy and respected him for building CAG and for his opinions on the show. I justified the poop/weed stuff as him being irreverent and blunt. Now I think he's a 36 year old man who talks like a 13 year old boy and treats friends like a 13 year old girl.

Very sad.

I hate to even bring this up since Wombat has been dumped on enough, but dude, if people react that strongly to you, you might want to think about how you present yourself. For instance, just let the lobster slide. You didn't deserve to be publicly called out like that though.

I love your contributions and I think you're swell, for the record.

Wow - I'm on the E3 portion of the show now, and the Wombat abuse continues. This is rather good-natured, which makes what happened on part 1 of the show even more unnecessary.

Hey Wombat,

The sole fact that neither CheapyD or Shipwreck didn't break your fingers for stealing food off of their plates should be enough reason for you to understand how much they like you.

On a related note, this new window into your personality has given my opinion of you a whole new perspective. In short: I would've broken more than your fingers.

You gotta break that food-stealing habit, dude; and you gotta do it right away. Doesn't paint the best picture for a fat guy who's trying to lose weight, either.

Cheapy D you can go fuck yourself

If wombat decides to not go back on next week

I refuse to visit cheapassgamer anymore

I relize that one person doesnt make a difference in the life of the internet pimp

I hope you come back next week Wombat but I can understand if you don't.

Cheapy are you soulless? Doing a 90 min. show every week with someone for five years how can you not form a bond? To tell you the truth the Cagcast would be shit without Wombat and wouldn't have gone past ten episodes.

First the light stuff: If you think back to before MS launch the NXE, the 360 had an option to automatically download XBLA titles, but scrapped it when the NXE launched. I'll probably repost this in the CAGBag later this week as I'm sure it will be buried

About the CAGCast behavior: It sounds like Wombat let his guard down and wanted to let the guys know what a good time he had. You know Real-talk, no-homo stuff (that what the kids say now right?) and Cheapy and Ship weren't done jabbing him and just went too far. Everyone has faults and our friends accept them because they enjoy our company. You know what happens after that? You get over it or stop being their friend. After 5 days it's easy to let the little things get to you and go too far, especially when it's Wombat's first E3 and it's old hat for everyone else. Was he unprofessional by loading up on swag, then wearing it? A little bit, but you guys gotta lay out the ground rules for the "team" before you go. Can't be mad at a guy for making a rookie mistake on his rookie trip. Overall it sounded like Wombat felt like you guys were a close family and you were more like distant relatives. Glad to hear Ship's apology today, I'm sure Cheapy will follow-up as well.

Wombat, we have heard you dish out some trash and most of us agree it got a little too real. I hope you forgive the guys and stay with CAG.

Two things i feel a need to comment about this week.

1. I like Wombats suggestion that you never talk about motion control stuff again, because you don't like ANYTHING about it, you're entitled to your opinion and i agree on some, maybe most of it, but damn it gets annoying to hear you say it over and over every fucking week. If you don't stumble over something you have an opinion that differ from your regular "it sucks" do us all a favor and just don't mention it, the show time could be used for better content.

2. I know It's been mentioned a lot but wow, how could you not think that would hurt Wombats feelings Cheapy? I mean i would be pretty hurt too if a friend you've talked to every week for 5 years not only tells you that he doesn't really know you and that you were annoying but also prefers the company of another person more. Maybe you didn't mean it that way, i sure hope you didn't but it sure as hell came of as you did.

Credit to Shipwreck for apologizing also btw, even though it was Cheapy who was mostly responsible.

And also credit for not editing out that part, you're being honest with the community, which is much appreciated

Thats all

Awkward and a very weird show guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, this was an extremely awkward CagCast this week. I'm with most of the people in this thread when I say that you guys were out of line saying those things to Wombat, but if those are your true feelings, then that's that. If I were Wombat, I would definitely take a break for a while; apologies would not help, and would probably only make things weirder.

I got to talk to Wombat for a few minutes outside of the Gopher the other week, and he seemed like a cool guy. (He escaped when two drunk fools who were trying to get in started talking to us) Maybe five days of him would be a little much, but you should probably have factored in some breaks from each other for the trip.

On topic for the show, you guys are really showing your cheap jewey-ness. EVERY MMO has that same model, I believe; you pay for the game, then you pay the monthly fee. If the content stream is enough, then they keep you coming back month after month. That's just the way it works, and having it on the PS3 shouldn't change things. Then again, the game looks like absolute balls, so I ain't interested anyway, but that's still the way things are and DC Universe Online is not out of the ordinary in doing so.

Just thought i'd share my thoughts on this whole Wombat hate situation. I heard stuff about this before listening to the show (via tweets from both Cheapy and Ship) then again by Ship's Audioboo - so I didn't really know what to expect.. So throughout the show I was waiting to see when it was about to happen. I do feel you guys were a bit harsh on Wombat, it started out okay but you kept going and going at it, even when Wombat was saying "thats it i'm done", "you've upset me" etc - and you can clearly hear the seriousness in his tone. I was surprised by Ship, like he normally doesn't get really into this stuff going back and forth between Wombat and Cheapy but he dived straight in.

I also think this whole "I know Ship better because i've met up with him in person more" is totally wrong. As Wombat stated you've been doing the show for FIVE years now; which is quite a long time to be doing anything. Its not like you just talk to him for the 1:30-2:00 hours a week on the show then thats it.

Thats it just a few thoughts. Apart from that I liked the show and I hope you three continue doing the show.

Cheapy D was way out of line, and I unsubscribed from the podcast.
His behaviour was unacceptable, and Wombat has my full support.
Hopefully Wombat starts his own podcast.

stop being such a dick. maybe you need to get out more, cause you really dont know how to treat other people. shipwreck kept trying to save it, but you kept rubbing it in.

Looks like a lot of whining on here. Everyone's an adult. In my case, older. If you've never said anything negative about anyone you know anytime in your life, then i'm proud. Otherwise, get over it. We all do stuff people don't like. It's no different when it's actually voiced.

The only bothersome thing is that it had to be kept. Maybe Cheapy doesn't know how much of an asshole he can be. Maybe he kept it to see what subscribers would say. Who knows.

I found it interesting when I heard that Shipwreck would be paying equally for Live regardless of a plan or not. I thought we were on CAG, where one year subs were $30-35. The family plan would only be good if you have over four people in your household playing. Also, you shouldn't apologise so much. If feelings were seriously hurt, I can't imagine what would or wouldn't be fixed with public apologies.

And Wombat, your advertising song was a little loud this time around. I was surprised Cheapy didn't say anything about it this time. Other than that, an interesting addition like always. I hope your kinectimal doesn't give you any allergic reactions. Or maybe if it does, you can go for some kind of lawsuit against MS.

Keep on keeping on. You guys are an interesting bunch. Unlike the majority, I saw absolutely no problems here. Wombat is the lightning rod of hate, and he still keeps on loving everyone.

Egad man, quite harsh on our pal Wombat this week. Although you try taking food off my plate you'll liable to lose a digit. You guys just went a bit too far on the guy from the sounds of it. Seriously though the whole "I know Shipwreck more than I know you Wombat" ouch!

I'm sure this will be all straightened up in time, and you guys are all going to love each other again in no time.

[quote name='Interfeci']Looks like a lot of whining on here. Everyone's an adult. In my case, older. If you've never said anything negative about anyone you know anytime in your life, then i'm proud. Otherwise, get over it. We all do stuff people don't like. It's no different when it's actually voiced.[/QUOTE]

You should know that two wrongs don't make a right. Just because everyone can be a dick sometimes doesn't make it ok to humiliate your friend, record it, and have thousands of people download it.

Also, I don't buy into the "get over it" mentality. If something bothers you, speak. What the hell is the point in sitting around with your mouth shut while the world pisses on you? You might prefer that, but it doesn't mean others should. (Edit: Might I also point out that you yourself spoke out about the "whining", and I'm sure you've whined about something at some point in your older than adult lifetime. Which means you yourself don't subscribe to this "get over it" mindset.)

*Edited out Father Time, don't want my point lost in what might look like mindless flaming.

Been listening to the show for years, but for the first time I have to post in the thread. This was the most ridiculously depressing videogames podcast I have ever heard. Just think about that sentence.

CheapyD you're a douchebag.

Finished listening to the show, and yes Cheapy and Boatcrash went WAY over the top in bashing Wombat. Even though Cheapy's "I don't know you Wombat" was very early in the show, you could feel the hurt in Wombat's voice the rest of the show, and then the piling on at the end really pushed him over the edge.

Did Wombat deserve some criticism for eating others food and maybe being a little too loud, sure. Friends need to tell their friends if they are out of line, but not in the manner/forum they did it in. You got the feeling that Cheapy and Ship felt that Wombat intruded on "their" show/space/vacation even though he is integral to CAG.

I like that Ship manned up and made the Audio Boo, it sounded genuine and honest, Cheapy's Twitter apology on Twitter seemed empty. I hope he and Wombat spoke and worked it out.

Looking forward to next weeks show.

[quote name='Conboy']Finished listening to the show, and yes Cheapy and Boatcrash went WAY over the top in bashing Wombat. Even though Cheapy's "I don't know you Wombat" was very early in the show, you could feel the hurt in Wombat's voice the rest of the show, and then the piling on at the end really pushed him over the edge.

Did Wombat deserve some criticism for eating others food and maybe being a little too loud, sure. Friends need to tell their friends if they are out of line, but not in the manner/forum they did it in. You got the feeling that Cheapy and Ship felt that Wombat intruded on "their" show/space/vacation even though he is integral to CAG.

I like that Ship manned up and made the Audio Boo, it sounded genuine and honest, Cheapy's Twitter apology on Twitter seemed empty. I hope he and Wombat spoke and worked it out.

Looking forward to next weeks show.[/QUOTE]

Maybe CheapyD is waiting for the next Cagcast to offer a proper sincere apology. I admire Shipwreck for doing the audioboo. That showed real class.

I'd like to add something else: sounds like this was the first time Cheapy told Wombat about the "things that annoyed" him at E3. You three were together for an entire week, and you just now bring it up? Couldn't say it in person? Had to wait til you flew across the Pacific and talked via Skype?

You have beef with a dude? Squash it in person.

CheapyD is a pussy.

We are likely all getting blacklisted from winning a CAG contest ever again. Speaking for myself, I don't care.

I like how Cheapy got Ship to validate all of his criticisms of Wombat. This podcast felt like The People vs Wombat.

"Did you or did you not steal my french fry, Wombat?"
"Umm..."
"SHIPWRECK?"
"He did, Your Honor."
"And Wombat, did you not accept swag from numerous vendors?"
"Umm..."
"SHIPWRECK?"
"He did, Your Honor."

We all know Wombat can take only so much criticism, so it'd odd Cheapy, and to a lesser degree BoatCrash, would steamroll him, especially on a podcast. Way to shit in the punchbowl.

I have been saying cheapy is an unlikeable douche for weeks, good to see people are picking up on it. He offers nothing to the cagcast other than his shitty brand of humor. He's not funny, he's not likable, and he's not entertaining. Shitwreck and wombat are the only enjoyable aspects of the cagcast. Cheapy should quit and be replaced with Justin McElroy and this podcast would take off.

CheapD sucks. I haven't heard the cagcast, and I won't, but Wombat should go somewhere else if he wants to shine. This site's podcast turd is going nowhere. Of course he isn't going anywhere else though, it's not like anyone else is paying his way to E3 or giving him free shit.

In this CAGCAST Cheapy breaks up with his overbearing girlfriend. He tells Wombat he isn't that into her, but they can still be friends. He also says they should see other people like a thin redhead he's been talking to.

Wow, seriously Wombat...sack up! About 2 shows ago, you stated that you routinely cut cheapy and shipwreck off when you determine they've been talking too long (and it's boring), you "declare" when topics (ie. shitbox, b.m.) will no longer be discussed, you read unflattering listener comments in obnoxious tones (usually followed by a "go f...k yourself" or "F..k. you", and yet you become sad when cheapy or boatcrash indicates that there are certain things they dislike about you? That's ridiculous.

You probably were loud because you were at your first E3, having a great deal of fun, and to some degree were probably overcome by the excitement. So what, who cares. Your friends aren't allowed to say you're loud? I'm sure they recognized that you were just excited about being there. Instead of being such a sap about this you could have diffused the whole thing in two seconds by saying "I was just excited" rather than going the "I'm not that loud" defensive route. Just because Cheapy doesn't want you to be the guy that microsoft sends to his house to give him a hand job doesn't mean he's not your friend. Get over it.

I could really feel how Wombat felt while cheapy said he thought he knew ship better because he had spent 1-2 more E3's with Ship than Wombat, although I love when cheapy is picking on Wombat (Army of 2 story is the best HAHA) I dont enjoy it when wombat feels hurt as he obviously did after that completely useless not knowing him remkark.

Thats why Wombat is so great you can make fun of him and he just laughs with you but no one is that tough that they dont have a line that cant be crossed. Wombat's line was crossed on CAGCast 202.

Wombat I love you and I'd love to play DC Online with you on ps3 ;D

[quote name='4nik8tor']after digging around the internet a bit I came across what really happened at E3.[/QUOTE]

Ok. That made me giggle.

Edit: Cheap Ass Mountain? No?

Finally finished the main show. Kinda annoyed with the ribbing that Cheapy gave Wombat. I met Wombat at PAX East and he was super cool to me. But to return to my main point, Cheapy's comments about not knowing Wombat well really escapes me. Do none of the years of conversations and previous meetups mean nothing? I doubt Cheapy knows more about these "friends" he mentions on the show more than Wombat. Judging people by how much you see them in person is hypocritical to me. You don't need to be involved with someone everyday to be your friend.

Cheapy, making jokes is fine but give Wombat some respect.

I've been reading the comments and I re-listened to the end of the show and I have to say I disagree with a few people on their views of Shipwreck. When listening again Ship kept on pushing it more and more, which would set off Cheapy even more. There was a point when the thing could of ended but Ship brought up the lobster then cheapy goes off again "Oh yeah right...etc", then again straight after with the bowling.
Then people are on here saying stuff like "well done for Ship making that audioboo after" and i'm like what?

Now I don't dislike Ship, I actually really like him and think he adds alot to the show - but he's equal in this with Cheapy in my opinion.

Yeah, it was really sad to see Wombat friends bashing on him like that. Obviously, it was his first time at E3 and he had to do work while there. Thinking about it now still makes me cringe. Kind of seemed like they where all embarrassed to be around Wombat. Not cool at all Cheapy and Shipwreck.

I also met Wombat for a bit at PAX East and though I didn't eat with him or anything, he seemed like a very nice and relatable guy in person. Y'all made him sound like an annoying little tag along...

Frankly, spending a week in close proximity with anyone (whether you know them well or not) can be irritating. I'm sure that Wombat could have revealed a slew of annoying things Cheapy and Ship were doing at the show as well.

That said, I did find the piling on to be somewhat amusing in the same way that I remember chuckling when Howard Stern used to pile on insults to his crew (which he did regularly back when I listened to him on FM radio). Cheapy, you're a big Stern fan - do you think that Stern's influence had anything to do with how you treated the situation?

I think in fairness that each of the next two shows should explore Cheapy and Ship's character flaws and annoying habits. :)

[quote name='LiK']Finally finished the main show. Kinda annoyed with the ribbing that Cheapy gave Wombat. I met Wombat at PAX East and he was super cool to me. But to return to my main point, Cheapy's comments about not knowing Wombat well really escapes me. Do none of the years of conversations and previous meetups mean nothing? I doubt Cheapy knows more about these "friends" he mentions on the show more than Wombat. Judging people by how much you see them in person is hypocritical to me. You don't need to be involved with someone everyday to be your friend.

Cheapy, making jokes is fine but give Wombat some respect.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree. Even if Cheapy really felt like that, there was no need to say that to Wombat. You can tell Wombat was a little bit shocked to hear that. It really set the mood for the rest of the show.

[quote name='noobie_noobster']I think wombat was being a little hyper sensitive and probably what kicked off his insecurity was that cheapy started the show by saying he didnt really know wombat, which i can see as more hurtful than the rest of the comments, merely being examples of how little he knows wombat.[/QUOTE]

That was a nice way of putting it. I was just going to say that Wombat needs to grow some fracking balls.
This episode was so annoying that I wish Cheapy would release an edited version without all of Wombat's whining.

Note: normally, I enjoy listening to the CAGcast, but this specific episode was ruined by Wombat.

I just finished listening to the podcast, and it wasn't as bad as I had expected, from reading on here before listening.

However, Wombat is the reason I listen to the podcast, so I always support him!

I agree. I was expecting much worse from reading the comments. I don't blame Shipwreck at all for any of the comments he made. Cheapy's comments about not knowing Wombat were a bit out of line though. I don't really see how any of the other comments were that bad.

[quote name='Gentlegamer']I'd like to add something else: sounds like this was the first time Cheapy told Wombat about the "things that annoyed" him at E3. You three were together for an entire week, and you just now bring it up? Couldn't say it in person? Had to wait til you flew across the Pacific and talked via Skype?

.[/QUOTE]

Actually they mentioned the annoying stuff is something they talked/ joked about all week.

Sorry all you wombat-haters but Cheapy was really rude. It's not a question of having balls or whatever, you would have to be a sociopath not to be upset by someone you consider a friend acting that way.

Cheapy needs to cut down on the smoking; that will also fix the "voice" problems mentioned in the beginning (i.e. slurring like Rush Limbaugh on painkillers).

Cheapy has always gave the impression that he's doing Wombat a favor by making him a part of the show and a part of the site. (Despite the fact that it was actually Wombat that came up with the idea in the first place for the cagcast). Cheapy has always made Wombat feel bad to some degree for not being able to afford to always buy games when they come out (which is part of the reason why Shipwreck was probably invited to join the show in the first place). (no offense shipwreck, your reviews are good) Not to mention God forbid if Wombat ever feels entitled to anything for being a part of the success of the show. Regarding that, Cheapy went out of his on an older show to say that his parents agree with him that Wombat shouldn't feel entitled to anything, which I thought was BS to talk about on the show as well.

Knowing all this, it comes as no surprise that Wombat was kind of outted on the latest podcast. I'm almost surprised it hasn't happened sooner frankly. Dare I say that Cheapy knows Wombat better then he leads on, and in fact knows exactly what to say to hurt his feelings. I don't think it's possible for anyone to be that insensitive, it was intentional.

On a side note: Shipwreck, clearly you were the victim of peer pressure from someone you respect, so don't feel too bad.

This is coming from an outsider not having met any of these guys. Take it for what you will.

Wombat is excellent, without him it DEFINITELY wouldn't be the cagcast. Even though there are now three people on the cagcast, Wombat still represents 50% of the entertainment I get out of the podcast.

bread's done
Back