DC Universe Online Thread *Lightning Strikes DLC 12/6/11* Free to play

Should jump on the official forums if you're unsure what to do at 30.

At Level 30 you can start going for your Iconic Armors. I mean there's also daily missions that give you Marks of Allegiance. When you acquire 10 of these you can trade at a vendor within Watchtower for a Mark of Triumph which is used to get your Tier 1 armor.

Also you can go after PVP armor as well if you're big on that.

Anyhow, doing those daily missions you'll eventually acquire some good gear. Once you do I'd attempt Duos, which will award ya Marks of Triumph. Collect these for your Tier 1 armor. It'll take awhile at first but as you become better skilled along with good armor you'll be able to take on Hard Mode Alerts. From these you'll also be able to get Marks of Triumph for beating each boss in the Hard Alerts.

I know it gets tedious but definitely pays off when you can run Raids and other stuff. Then there's also the update later this month so that's something to look forward to as well.

People still play this game? I was thinking of picking it up this weekend. Have they patched a lot of bugs? Does voice chat work now?

I have yet to get voice chat to work. Honestly, with respect to people who like the game I strongly advice you to not pick this game up at all. Wait about 6 months to a year and then pick it up. If you want to be safe at least wait another 2 weeks when everyones first free month would be over...that will be a better gauge of the population. I personally think it will drop off significantly.

There is no reason to own this game at this point, there are still a ton of bugs and the Que system is so severely broken that it makes doing a lot of the missions a joke. I have yet to finish most of the alerts although I try on a daily basis.

I took a pic of this with my phone and if I wasnt lazy I would upload it but yesterday I tried once again to play a Alert. I qued up and waited exactly (I kept track) 17:42 seconds to even load into one. Upon loading in it was one that was already started (this happens so often that it should be a embarrassment) I played that alert for exactly 166 min 56 seconds and went through 35 fuckING PEOPLE loading in then quitting! I spent 33 min standing around inside of the alert waiting for new players to load into my alert (again I counted) and I final just quit the game when I got to a part that I couldnt beat myself and I didnt feel like waiting for another 20 min for more people to load in.

That is VERY typical of my experience playing...if you dont already have 5 or 6 people that you play with you might as well not even try because its a complete crap shoot if it will work or not.

And look no further than LXL Guy post (Which was very informative and well written) and see exactly what the future holds. Grinding for gear. I know grinding is part of every MMO but it cant be 80% of the game. Once you hit 30 they just forget about the whole Brainiac trying to take over the world bit and its grinding for gear all day everyday.

Skubish just do A LOT of research before you buy it..do not pick it up on a whim. You will either love it or hate it.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I took a pic of this with my phone and if I wasnt lazy I would upload it but yesterday I tried once again to play a Alert. I qued up and waited exactly (I kept track) 17:42 seconds to even load into one. Upon loading in it was one that was already started (this happens so often that it should be a embarrassment) I played that alert for exactly 166 min 56 seconds and went through 35 fuckING PEOPLE loading in then quitting! I spent 33 min standing around inside of the alert waiting for new players to load into my alert (again I counted) and I final just quit the game when I got to a part that I couldnt beat myself and I didnt feel like waiting for another 20 min for more people to load in.

That is VERY typical of my experience playing...if you dont already have 5 or 6 people that you play with you might as well not even try because its a complete crap shoot if it will work or not.[/QUOTE]

I've never seen anything like that.

Seriously, I just played Smallville for 76 min with my one other friend....got half way through everyone quit game wouldnt load anyone else in so we were forced to quit. It happens every single time I play a alert. Went through about 12 guys during that run.

The problem of loading into half done or glitched Alerts is number 1 on the official forums from what I can tell. From personal experience whenever I load into a Alert I check the scorecard first and more often than not I am the 14th person to load in and the game has been going on for well over an hour.

It happens so often that I would love to sit and watch someone else play so I can prove to myself its not me.

EDIT: By the way Sku, their very first content patch is late. It was suppose to come on the 15th week..no sign of it, might be a one time thing but its looks strange when you cant make your own deadline for content patch on the first go round. Again, all I am saying is research research research.

The "locked door" issue totally happens, which has been acknowledged by RadarX on the officials forums. I've just never seen drop outs like that.

Guess I've been lucky.

No the content patch never had a set date beyond "middle to late february ". At least until the announcement the other day that it is coming out on the 22nd- I think.

I think whether or not you will enjoy the game depends on what you expect out of it. I like playing a super hero. I like running around and getting in battles with villains (play on pvp server) and helping other people out and testing different power combos.

The maps are huge with plenty of collections and things to find. Get a few friends and join a league.

It isn't like other mmos but it is fun to play. Because your level/gear matters less than your playing ability it is fun to make a new toon and be level 7 and get jumped by some 30 who really doesn't know what cancels or beats what and wax them.

I enjoy it and haven't gotten tired, and if they stick to a decent content update schedule (they claim monthly but we'll see) it should stay fun. I already reupped for the 3 month deal.

Dead Randy, hero, on No Man's Land.

I think I look at the game similar to you nuromutt. I just enjoy being a superhero and I'm not trying to rush through it so it stays enjoyable to me. My highest level character is only Level 14 and I haven't even messed with villians yet. Sure I wish it wasn't $10 a month, but if they keep content up its no worse than DLC in other games.

My characters are PyreBlade on Killing Joke and Rahzar on Crisis if anyone wants to play. I do agree with the comments that having a league or group of friends to play with makes this game much more enjoyable.

No I wouldn't get it on the PC. If you stretch it out it will take 2 weeks to hit 30 after that it seems like you have nothing to do. I know it does not take 2 weeks but I really didn't do much when I played and spent most my time trying to get into pvp. Once I got to 30 I really didn't want to play anymore. I tried some of the end game stuff and said the hell with it. I would hold off for a year and see what happens.

i am not a huge MMORPG guy so I have no idea of what a good one would be. I am a huge DC fan though so being able to explore, play, and interact with my favorite characters is a fun and enjoyable journey.

The PC CE is $36.15 on Amazon right now. I am debating picking it up since I really enjoyed the beta and it seems like a good price for a month and the statue.

They just merged all the pc servers to one another. Along with the ps3 server, those are together too. So not as empty I expect.

i feel bad for anyone who paid for this game and paid for a subscription. i hope they get compensated in some way. itll be interesting to see if anyone will get into it now that its free considering how long the dl took.

[quote name='lokizz']i feel bad for anyone who paid for this game and paid for a subscription. i hope they get compensated in some way. itll be interesting to see if anyone will get into it now that its free considering how long the dl took.[/QUOTE]

Lifetime subscribers get Legendary access. People who bought the game get Premium.

If they had all the necessary files available via just installing from the disc instead of it being a download(think it's actually a download as opposed to just an install) then I might consider this, but since I have the uber cheap ass DSL(768kbps DL speed) it'd take me till the beginning of the NEXT millenium to download the frickin' files.:roll:

Yeah it's a bootstrap installer. (or was in beta I should say)

Didn't Wombat have a conversation going about if/when this would go free to play?

Not that I will be getting this, but the whole statement about having to pay for a game for trophies is bothering me because I am pretty sure it isn't true. There was definitely that Toro RSS reader on the JPN PSN that was free and gave trophies.

Does FreeRealms have trophies available to non-paying players?

[quote name='praxus07']So when can we start downloading this for free? I'd prolly have to start now since it'd take the next 15 days for it to finish.[/QUOTE]

All them updates are gonna kill ya if you don't got a good connection.

Its the way to go.

Tell people you have to subscribe to play, they tell you to f@£$ off.

Tell people you will be more awesome if you buy these boots and people will buy the boots and maybe a cape.

Great thing to happen to MMOs

[quote name='SynGamer']"Late" October.[/QUOTE]

That's a shame if only for the fact that the closer to the November onslaught of games the less likely I am to make time for DCUO. (or any MMO really)

14GB download... Gonna take a while. I played the Beta and I loved it but I never felt like paying for it. I am probably going to spend a good amount of entertainment from this.

Two big questions, PVE server or PVP? (For a first time player)

Also, is it true the Hero side is overpopulated? I might go with Villain

[quote name='dgwillia006']Two big questions, PVE server or PVP? (For a first time player)

Also, is it true the Hero side is overpopulated? I might go with Villain

I am wondering if my PS3 turns off do I lose all that I downloaded and have to start over again?
I have slow internet and for me to download the 14gb so game will take almost a day, I hope. Been downloading for 3 hours now and at 13%

[quote name='MikeydCT']I am wondering if my PS3 turns off do I lose all that I downloaded and have to start over again?
I have slow internet and for me to download the 14gb so game will take almost a day, I hope. Been downloading for 3 hours now and at 13%[/QUOTE]

You don't have to start over, it continues where you left off.

Never played an mmo before, but this being free and in the DC universe, I'm going to give it a try.

[quote name='twiceborn']You don't have to start over, it continues where you left off.

Never played an mmo before, but this being free and in the DC universe, I'm going to give it a try.[/QUOTE]

cool so when my copy of uncharted gets here I can play it :D

Yeah, the PVP for villains is a bit rediculous. Easier now that im getting stronger (Level 8 Dual Pistol Mental). Managed to take out 3 guys in a row thanks to Telekinesis lol (The first one got nailed by a car, i shot the second one up while he was hovering, and the 3rd one tried to run away when he got nailed by a trash can XD)

Just started downloading the small 124mb update and it's taking forever. The huge game itself should be done downloading I imagine by 2012 sometime.

Can't stand PVP, so PVE all the way for me.....

[quote name='AukeySeven']
Is there a GAG supergroup/guild/gang yet?[/QUOTE]

I'd like to know this as well.

Also is there a consensus on how best to buy into the premium tier? Just grab the Green Lantern DLC for $10 and be done with it?

Well my download is taking all day, it will probably take several more hours.

I'd be interested in creating/joining a CAG super villian gang if there are too many heroes, maybe something like Cheap Ass Goons :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
So to verify again, I'm downloading DC Universe and it took 2 hours to download 6%. If I back out on the download screen will it pick up at the 6% that it left of the next time I start it up again? I gotta play some Arkham City.

[quote name='D_Icon']So to verify again, I'm downloading DC Universe and it took 2 hours to download 6%. If I back out on the download screen will it pick up at the 6% that it left of the next time I start it up again? I gotta play some Arkham City.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you can absolutely quit out and it'll resume right where it left off. (I downloaded it in 3 sessions)

Anyone know how to join in a friends game so you can team up together.
We both got put in different worlds.

Any help would be thankful

bread's done
Back