DCAU fans unite! Justice League Doom (possible spoilers) out now!

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Batman: Gotham Knight Preview!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocITLlWOySY

I am REALLY looking forward to this.[/quote]

What the hell!?

Batman's gone anime?!

I was hoping for a whole Mask of the Phantasm type Batman movie, with all the OG Bruce Timm animation.

Dont get me wrong, it looks nice and all...but....It just doesnt fit in my opinion, it looks all wrong, its not the same batman i knew from the DCAU...its Batmanime.

I grew up watching the original Timm DCAU style, i just don't know how much i can get into this. They seem to have thrown that style by the wayside, no DCAU titles seem to use it., even the one Timm himself is involved with.

Oh btw, has anyone seen justice league new frontier? I didn't have very high expectation going into it, but it was pretty good.

I didn't really like how batman changed his style halfway through, but they had to show him from that era. The old bat mobile was pretty funny looking, had the bat face on the front and all.

Jeez, there are a lot of talking heads spewing marketing hype in that preview. "Batman is unique among superheroes in that he can be adapted to anime ..." Riiight. Just admit "The Animatrix worked for us, so we're doing it again. It'll be cool, we promise." That's all it would take.

Them: "Batman. Anime."
Me: "Sold."

[quote name='JolietJake']I grew up watching the original Timm DCAU style, i just don't know how much i can get into this. They seem to have thrown that style by the wayside, no DCAU titles seem to use it., even the one Timm himself is involved with.[/quote]

Timm has fallen more into the producer role in these projects lately. I believe he was producer for Doomsday, and for all their other new projects. That's why the animation has been changing from movie to movie.

Batman lends itself well to a dark anime style but did I hear them say it'll be 6 short movies? I'd rather have one good full length movie.

I'm not a huge fan of the art style of Gotham Knight, but I am looking forward to it.

I'm also looking forward to Justice League New Fronter, I have it preordered at Amazon.

New Frontier was amazing, even better than I expected. The animation and story was really good. :applause:

I picked up the 2 disc dvd version from best buy and got that midget Hal Jordon figure which was ok.

The soundtrack is coming out in 2 weeks if anyone is interested.

I really hope they consider producing a full series out of this. I know they made JLU/JL, but it would be nice to have a series like this set in an earlier time period.

New Frontier was great. I didn't think the voices matched up very well, namely Wonder Woman's seemed too modern sounding versus everyone else's campy voice. Would have preferred the JLA/U voice as it seems more classic.

Besides that, no complains except Martian Manhunter looked just plain goofy in his human form.

[quote name='CouRageouS']New Frontier was great. I didn't think the voices matched up very well, namely Wonder Woman's seemed too modern sounding versus everyone else's campy voice. Would have preferred the JLA/U voice as it seems more classic.

Besides that, no complains except Martian Manhunter looked just plain goofy in his human form.[/quote]That isn't unlike how his old design looked.

[quote name='CouRageouS']New Frontier was great. I didn't think the voices matched up very well, namely Wonder Woman's seemed too modern sounding versus everyone else's campy voice. Would have preferred the JLA/U voice as it seems more classic.

Besides that, no complains except Martian Manhunter looked just plain goofy in his human form.[/quote]

yep, I am use to JLU MM.

[quote name='ITDEFX']
I really hope they consider producing a full series out of this. I know they made JLU/JL, but it would be nice to have a series like this set in an earlier time period.[/quote]
That would be great, but I have doubts it would ever happen. There is no way Kids WB would pick up a Justice League cartoon set in the 1950s.

[quote name='Kaijufan']That would be great, but I have doubts it would ever happen. There is no way Kids WB would pick up a Justice League cartoon set in the 1950s.[/quote]

Cartoon network could pick it up.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']All right you Blu-Ray fiends...

Justice League Season 1 scheduled for release on August 19th.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Justice-League-Season-1-Bluray/9509[/quote]

Old news. Still don't see why this needs to be on Blue Ray. The SD-DVD versions look amazing. They are just trying to squeeze some more money by dumping it to BR.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Old news. Still don't see why this needs to be on Blue Ray. The SD-DVD versions look amazing. They are just trying to squeeze some more money by dumping it to BR.[/quote]

My bad.

This was the first I heard of it.

What's the point of the Blu Ray release of Justice League Season 1 (besides maybe including widescreen versions of the episodes)? I seriously doubt the picture will look that much better then the SD DVDs. I doubt they had the budget to make the show in HD.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Cartoon network could pick it up.
[/quote]

Would WB even let anyone besides Kids WB pick up a cartoon based on the Justice League?
I have my doubts.

[quote name='ITDEFX']

Old news. Still don't see why this needs to be on Blue Ray. The SD-DVD versions look amazing. They are just trying to squeeze some more money by dumping it to BR.[/QUOTE]

I read somewhere that they are going to fix the widescreen aspect on the blu-ray version, but now I can't find it.

[quote name='chasemurata']I miss Justice League Unlimited. :whistle2:([/quote]It kills me that they can cancel a great show like that, but keep crap like "the batman" on.

[quote name='JolietJake']It kills me that they can cancel a great show like that, but keep crap like "the batman" on.[/quote]

Problem is that WB animation only lets most of it's animated series run for 5 seasons (I know SS and BB ran for less including that horrible LOSH). Justice League ran for 5 seasons. WB Considers JLU part of the JL series since it wasn't a spin off. So we got 5 great seasons of Superman, Batman and the rest of the heroes who got their chance to shine. Sadly they never gave the Legion of Doom story line to flesh out properly as it had a lot of potential to give the JLU some serious trouble.

The batman was "ok". I thought they did a very sloppy job brining in the Justice League at the end of the 4th and in the 5th season. I fell behind in watching the series during the 4th and 5th seasons.

Oh well. All we have now is the excellent DTV movies coming up.

[quote name='ananag112']I finally saw Superman Brainiac Attacks. Wow...that was horrible.[/quote]

Yeah, it was a real piece of crap, but I don't think any of the regular producers had anyhting to do with the show. It was half-assed for sure. I only bought it for completionists sake.

Superman : Doomsday was much better (not including those ridiculous caveman cheekbones he had). It's no Mask of the Phantasm or Return of the Joker, but it was solid IMO.

The Batman has its moments. I don't care for the kung-fu Penguin for example, or some of the re-imagined villains, but the fight animation itself was SUPERB IMO. I really enjoyed The Batman vs. Dracula a lot.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Yeah, it was a real piece of crap, but I don't think any of the regular producers had anyhting to do with the show. It was half-assed for sure. I only bought it for completionists sake.

Superman : Doomsday was much better (not including those ridiculous caveman cheekbones he had). It's no Mask of the Phantasm or Return of the Joker, but it was solid IMO.

The Batman has its moments. I don't care for the kung-fu Penguin for example, or some of the re-imagined villains, but the fight animation itself was SUPERB IMO. I really enjoyed The Batman vs. Dracula a lot.[/quote]

I *tried* again a few months ago to finish BvD but still couldn't get myself to finish it :(

I almost bought BA a few months ago when CC had it for 6.xx but passed on it.

bottom line is hand drawn animation is so sharp these days even on SD-DVD that it doesn't need to be on "High def" blue ray. Heck I am surprised JL season 1 was not on 1 single blue ray disc.

Legion of super heroes seems to be getting better. They seem to be aging the characters each season so eventually it won't be a bunch of whiny kids.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Blue ray #-o[/quote]

exactly

[quote name='JolietJake']Legion of super heroes seems to be getting better. They seem to be aging the characters each season so eventually it won't be a bunch of whiny kids.[/quote]

you know they canceled it right?

Since I've always been curious about this:

Does a bluray version of one of these look drastically better than the DVD version? I didn't get the...I guess it was Frontier or whatever because I couldn't figure it out. I don't have a bluray player, but chances are pretty good I'll have one eventually.

I've found HD animated material to looks miles better than their SD counterparts.

I only have experience with anime though, not American cartoons.

Newer shows probably would, but older stuff wouldn't I'd think. The old Batman :TAS probably wouldn't, but justice league very well could look better.

[quote name='JolietJake']Newer shows probably would, but older stuff wouldn't I'd think. The old Batman :TAS probably wouldn't, but justice league very well could look better.[/quote]

Yes any of the WB animation from the 90's don't hold up too well in HD. Even in SD-dvd, a lot of the "flaws" that were not noticeable in the initial release are standing out in the dvd releases.

[quote name='terribledeli']Comparing the animated parts of Enchanted between DVD and Blu-ray is like night and day.

Blu-ray just looks crisper and sharper.[/quote]

True, that's because newer compression techniques are applied and is a lot easier to compress than live action video.

[quote name='Liquid 2']I've found HD animated material to looks miles better than their SD counterparts.

I only have experience with anime though, not American cartoons.[/quote]

It all depends on how well preserved the original source material is. The 90's series of Batman/Superman isn't going to look much better than the original SD release. Unless WBA is going to go back and clean up some 200+ episodes for a BR release, it's pretty much going to look the same. T

[quote name='Strell']Since I've always been curious about this:

Does a bluray version of one of these look drastically better than the DVD version? I didn't get the...I guess it was Frontier or whatever because I couldn't figure it out. I don't have a bluray player, but chances are pretty good I'll have one eventually.[/quote]

read above

I like listening to the commentaries on the Batman:TAS releases, they always point out whether or not there is a little white speck on Batman's chin in the opening segment. Apparently some dust or somehing got on one of the cells.

Liked the "Deadshot" and "Working Through the Pain" stories of GK. I don't know what it was about the first story with the kids, but that had to be the one that I hated the most. I don't know if it was the story, animation style or what, it just was the one I found to be the worst of the stories.

WTF was with the stories using a Batmobile design mixing the one from Begins & the one from the Tim Burton movies?

[quote name='tangytangerine']Liked the "Deadshot" and "Working Through the Pain" stories of GK. I don't know what it was about the first story with the kids, but that had to be the one that I hated the most. I don't know if it was the story, animation style or what, it just was the one I found to be the worst of the stories.

WTF was with the stories using a Batmobile design mixing the one from Begins & the one from the Tim Burton movies?[/quote]

I enjoyed Deadshot and WTP. The rest were ok. Yea kinda weird them mixing batmobiles like that. Burton's batmobile seems to be very popular amongst the fans and I guess they put it in to make us go nuts.

I am starting to think I should have just bought the regular edition instead of the steelbook edition. The second disc is meh. The cartoon episodes are nice, but if you already have the box sets then it's just ok. They should have put episodes that featured characters that are shown in the GK, like a killer crock episode or a scarecrow episode. I do not recall if the original animated series had Deadshot (I don't think he appeared until later in JL/JLU).

Anyways.

My edition somehow had 4 3 dollar concession stand coupons instead of 2. So what that should buy me a medium drink, and a slice of pizza?:roll:

Conversely, mine didn't even have one fuckin' concession cash coupon, and I was told by two Best Buy employees it would be in the package.

Sigh.

[quote name='Rocko']Conversely, mine didn't even have one fuckin' concession cash coupon, and I was told by two Best Buy employees it would be in the package.

Sigh.[/quote]

Oh well. It's funny if you buy the bigger box set edition for a few bucks more they give you a bunch of crap AND a coupon for 7.50 towards the purchase of the movie, yet local movie theater prices have reached 8.25/10.50 respectively and it just keeps on going up and up. Ack, I just found out my local IMAX theater WILL be showing the movie at midnight, but I already bought my midnight tickets at the other theater.:bomb:

I picked up Gotham Knight today and I really enjoyed it for the most part. I found the first episode to be pretty bad, both the story and the art style, but everything was pretty enjoyable. I thought it was pretty funny how in one of the episodes (I believe it was the one with the bullet deflector) Bruce Wanye looked liked he was 18 years old.

The extras (besides the commentary, which I haven't listed to yet) were decent, but I didn't enjoy them as much as the extras on Superman Doomsday or Justice League New Frontier.

bread's done
Back