Destiny Discussion Thread - Fear The Moon Wizards on September 9th

Status
Not open for further replies.
This. Even I got the jump on someone and blasted them point-blank with a shotgun, it seemed to do minimal damage, and before I could unload a second round, they'd get turned around and kill me with a single hit. It felt like what few kills I actually did get were nothing more than lucky shots. I'm not very good at these kind of games, but come on, I know I'm not this bad.
Might also have to do with connection/lag issues. That kept happening to me last night; I think I got the drop on them, but they killed me with one or two shots. But tonight, I totally pwned. Multiplayer feels fun. Not sure how I feel about the supercharged powers yet...but the gun parts seem very comfortable and familiar, very CoD-like in a good way.

the game reminds me a lot of rage. the missions are very repetitive and the environment is pretty bland and boring
I really thought that too, at least with the Russia area. It is neat to run around the whole level without restrictions when you do the 'no mission' option. It just feels pointless, though. Apparently the moon level has an underground area you can explore, and it isn't like the dark caves I mentioned earlier where you face immune enemies; these enemies are higher leveled but able to be killed.

I'm surprised to read that people are having lag issues with the multiplayer on the Xbox One side. Isn't it on the dedicated servers on that platform? On the 360 there were lag issues, and it also seemed to have the imbalance issues which just don't make me interested in the game. While I realize it can be patched or adjusted, it just doesn't seem like something that will ever be 'right'. The top scorer on the other team could generate a shield, or armor, around their character that most people couldn't get through. Even with multiple, upgraded, high level shotgun blasts could I not kill them. I had to resort to overcharged powers and even then I was killed on one occasion before I could get it off. While we were still able to win the match, I didn't have much desire to play many more after that.

The whole take your Cortana-Spark bot friend to a thingy and plug them in, then face waves of enemies is old and it's only the Beta. I'd hoped they have more varied missions to show off, but it doesn't seem so. The group co-op mission is fun, though long because of how armored the tank and orb are, but we only really get that with one mission. I guess I was expecting more open encounters, and not this contained corridor battles with enemies that don't follow you around corners. And I still don't see the point of the whole city area. Why can't we find fire-teams there? Why don't all missions allow the option of matchmaking, or finding other players in-world playing that mission and letting us instantly merge into each others world, rather than fading away when the no respawn area hits.

There's potential to this game, but I'm really surprised at how safe and unambitious they are with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh...enjoyed the beta for the most part, but even assuming we get more environments in the full game, I'm not sure this is something I'd be sticking with, especially now that the Xbone will finally start seeing some significant releases again just a month or two after it's out. Canceled my pre-order, although that doesn't mean I won't buy it. May wait for some feedback on the full game.

Like the above post kind of says, it certainly seems like they have something worthwhile here, but I'm not sure they're taking advantage of it. Or if they are, the beta doesn't do a great job of making that obvious.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2btwup/deej_just_confirmed_that_theres_only_one_area_per/

if the source from reddit is true, you are basically getting one area per planet.
So in other words we played all of what is on Earth and the next will be the Moon seeing how it's a level 6 area and after that two maybe 3 planets. Sounds like a big let down then when just for the beta we may have had 1/5th of the single player online experience. I hope that this isn't the case and it's actually at worse one one Earth, Moon, Venus, one of the moons of Venus, Mars, one of the moons for Mars and some of the moons for Jupiter. That would give at least 7 maybe 8 areas. If not unless they pack a lot in each of the areas they have said the game wont be a long one and the different classes and races don't give much if any at all replay.

Even though I did enjoy playing the Titan class I still don't see how long this game will last with people playing it, if it comes out the way it currently is. I still don't even know why I liked playing the Titan class more than the other 2 because it really doesn't seem to play any different. I did make that class human so maybe I'm racist and only liked it more because I made it human or maybe it's because I'm a fan of Marvel's Cable and made the character look as much like him as I could and that's why I liked it more. So in other words the only class I did like to play that really felt no different than the other two is because I'm racist against all other life other than human or I made the game into a game based on Cable.

I enjoyed the beta, but the big thread on GAF about Destiny having less areas/missions has me less excited.

I hope at the very least Destiny matches Borderlands 2 pre-DLC content. To me Borderlands 2 is my favorite game of the last few years in terms of co-op which is only going to get matched/beaten by Diablo 3 UE edition in August.

The multiplayer vs was very Meh as well. At least considering it was from Bungie.

I'm still getting the game either way, at least the standard version.

I cancelled my preorder after the beta, I made it to the max level the same day I got the beta, which worries me as the max level is 20 right? I agree with everything the previous posters mentioned, it was fun but I feel like what I've done in the beta is the extent of what the game will be and what I saw I didn't see anything revolutionary that I was expecting from this game that I've been looking forward to since they even mentioned its creation.  Then again yeah sure it's a demo but still. I felt like the item drop rate was very low, it was somewhat hard to see the item drops too, at least the special and heavy ammo drops are brightly colored and seeing as how salvaging items or whatever they call it in this game appears to be one main way of making money, the item drop rate is definitely low. Probably cuz its a demo again but still.

The reddit thing bothers me too because I enjoyed exploring, but there wasn't much in the demo and there was no real motivation to explore anyway, they should have added some XP or progress tracker for exploring the world.  I was planning on buying a new console for this game but I'm definitely holding off now.

[quote name="hustletron" post="11962039" timestamp="1406544722"]I cancelled my preorder after the beta, I made it to the max level the same day I got the beta, which worries me as the max level is 20 right? I agree with everything the previous posters mentioned, it was fun but I feel like what I've done in the beta is the extent of what the game will be and what I saw I didn't see anything revolutionary that I was expecting from this game that I've been looking forward to since they even mentioned its creation. Then again yeah sure it's a demo but still. I felt like the item drop rate was very low, it was somewhat hard to see the item drops too, at least the special and heavy ammo drops are brightly colored and seeing as how salvaging items or whatever they call it in this game appears to be one main way of making money, the item drop rate is definitely low. Probably cuz its a demo again but still.

The reddit thing bothers me too because I enjoyed exploring, but there wasn't much in the demo and there was no real motivation to explore anyway, they should have added some XP or progress tracker for exploring the world. I was planning on buying a new console for this game but I'm definitely holding off now.[/quote]
Everybody keeps focusing on hitting max level, but this game doesn't use level the same way as others. Even at level 8 I bet you were still leveling up other things. You continue to level skills, an additional sub class isn't even unlocked until level 15, gear and weapons can be leveled, and even relationships with vendors are leveled. Just because you reach the level cap doesn't mean you have maxed your character.

I'm not making any decisions based on the beta. This wasn't a demo, it was a load test to see what bug fixes they can work in before launch.

Yeah, some of the reaction to the beta has been weird... Like, if you didn't think it was fun to play, then that's that. You don't need to justify it to anyone. But I keep seeing all these complaints like it doesn't have enough content or there aren't enough maps or the level cap is too low. It's like, you realize this is not the full game, right? It's not possible to make those kind of judgments yet.

Case in point, people saying that Earth/Moon/Mars/Venus (or whatever it is) are not enough planets for the campaign. The assumption being that every planet has roughly the same playable area and same amount of missions as Earth. Well, maybe Venus is the same size as Earth. Maybe it's ten times as large. Maybe it's half as large. We have no basis to judge that yet whatsoever.

[quote name="Ryuukishi" post="11962660" timestamp="1406568095"]Yeah, some of the reaction to the beta has been weird... Like, if you didn't think it was fun to play, then that's that. You don't need to justify it to anyone. But I keep seeing all these complaints like it doesn't have enough content or there aren't enough maps or the level cap is too low. It's like, you realize this is not the full game, right? It's not possible to make those kind of judgments yet.

Case in point, people saying that Earth/Moon/Mars/Venus (or whatever it is) are not enough planets for the campaign. The assumption being that every planet has roughly the same playable area and same amount of missions as Earth. Well, maybe Venus is the same size as Earth. Maybe it's ten times as large. Maybe it's half as large. We have no basis to judge that yet whatsoever.[/quote]
This is the Internet! Your rationality has no place here!

This thread confuses me. I was expecting to come here to find a lot of enthusiasm, instead just a lot of complaints.

I had an absolute blast playing the BETA, and there's no way in hell I'm cancelling anything. Really impressed with everything pretty much.

I think the complaints are more of a disappointment.  I know it was just a beta, but what was there felt lacking.  Like I had said before the races felt pointless as well as the classes.  That for me was a big issue that I don't think was just because it's a beta.  Not unless they come out and say that each race will have something special and once the game comes out I see videos of each class and I can see a big difference.  Really it all just seemed like races were for looks and classes were for different animations.  I was really disappointed and I think it's because I have come to expect better from Bungie.  I think all of us that have complained had high expectations for this game even had them for the beta.  This isn't the first beta I have played and I don't think it will be the last.  Every beta has felt almost like the release to me excluding level caps, bugs and whatever else was removed for the beta.  Unless they have something big in mind and want it a secret, I really don't see each race having a racial ability.  I will have to see videos of the classes at higher levels to see if they stand out more from each other.  With all that said I still wish this game would come out on the PC and if or when it does depending on price I may pick it up.

I think the complaints are more of a disappointment. I know it was just a beta, but what was there felt lacking. Like I had said before the races felt pointless as well as the classes. That for me was a big issue that I don't think was just because it's a beta. Not unless they come out and say that each race will have something special and once the game comes out I see videos of each class and I can see a big difference. Really it all just seemed like races were for looks and classes were for different animations. I was really disappointed and I think it's because I have come to expect better from Bungie. I think all of us that have complained had high expectations for this game even had them for the beta. This isn't the first beta I have played and I don't think it will be the last. Every beta has felt almost like the release to me excluding level caps, bugs and whatever else was removed for the beta. Unless they have something big in mind and want it a secret, I really don't see each race having a racial ability. I will have to see videos of the classes at higher levels to see if they stand out more from each other. With all that said I still wish this game would come out on the PC and if or when it does depending on price I may pick it up.
there is a high chance it will come out on the pc, the question is probably when.

The way things have read that's the question.  Its not a matter of if, but when.  I think the last I read is that one of the developers said something along the lines of it not being ruled out for the PC.

if anyone needs more friends who are getting this for xbox one, feel free to add me.

XBL: Mr Frisch

Is the beta done right now? I am thinking about jumping onto the beta again, but I'm wondering if it's still going on or not?

Yeah, crazy that they're advertising the DLC for this game and it's not even out yet. They've got all their eggs in this basket and that makes me go :whistle2:k

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/08/12/first-destiny-expansion-launches-in-december-new-crucible-trail/
if the information neogaf posted is correct, bungie and activision already won. Destiny is officially the "most pre-ordered new IP in gaming history", 1+ million Confirmed via GameStop and Activision.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=873122

if the information neogaf posted is correct, bungie and activision already won. Destiny is officially the "most pre-ordered new IP in gaming history", 1+ million Confirmed via GameStop and Activision.
But how many of those were because people wanted the beta keys? I still have two pre-orders that I need to cancel. It'll still be a huge pre-order for them, for sure, even after all these cancellations. I hope it's good; got a ton of spacebucks that I would like to spend on DLCs....

I know this thread doesn't get much attention but if anybody is interested you can now start preloading the game on the Xbox One digital store. I just prepurchased and started the download now, going to be nice being able to immediately dive into it on launch day.

[quote name="Kazeno Katana" post="12047623" timestamp="1409280707"]I know this thread doesn't get much attention but if anybody is interested you can now start preloading the game on the Xbox One digital store. I just prepurchased and started the download now, going to be nice being able to immediately dive into it on launch day.[/quote]
Yep. I just started loading my Guardian Edition tonight. :D

I know this thread doesn't get much attention but if anybody is interested you can now start preloading the game on the Xbox One digital store. I just prepurchased and started the download now, going to be nice being able to immediately dive into it on launch day.
Just out of curiosity how big is the game (I ask because xbox.com shows 0 and I haven't updated my system, to look at it on there, because of needing a big update)?

[quote name="Spybreak9" post="12047822" timestamp="1409285546"]Just out of curiosity how big is the game (I ask because xbox.com shows 0 and I haven't updated my system, to look at it on there, because of needing a big update)?[/quote]
About 18 gb.

I'm still debating between getting this for Xbox One or PS4.  Or both.

Either way, jumping into the discussion on this thread so that I can be in the loop all over!  Boom.

Just pre-purchased the Deluxe(guardian?) edition last night =D really happy a good friend of mine bought it too after I sent him a beta code =)

Out of curiosity anyone buying the PS4 Destiny Bundle?

I did, only for the white console to look nice next to my Black XO.

going to be selling the ps4 game on eBay or similar, I see no point in playing it on two consoles, rather have someone else enjoy it at a discount than keep something I probably will never use.

I'm still debating between getting this for Xbox One or PS4. Or both.

Either way, jumping into the discussion on this thread so that I can be in the loop all over! Boom.
Why would you get it for Xbone if you have a PS4? As an owner of both consoles, even though I love my XBone, I'm getting it for PS4. The exclusive content and likely better performance makes it a no brainer.

However, if you have friends on Xbox Live I could see why.

Why would you get it for Xbone if you have a PS4? As an owner of both consoles, even though I love my XBone, I'm getting it for PS4. The exclusive content and likely better performance makes it a no brainer.

However, if you have friends on Xbox Live I could see why.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I've got virtually 0 friends on PSN. I have a ton of friends (both real life and CAG) on Xbox Live. But I like exclusive content. And I own a Vita, so I could technically play Destiny while I was at work using that . . . which I couldn't do on Xbox.

All in all, it's a damn rough spot to be in. I don't like it. And I have a week to wait. I guess I need to research how "exclusive" that content is. By that, I know it's a 1 year exclusivity contract . . . but how major is the stuff? A couple maps and guns isn't going to sway me too much.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I've got virtually 0 friends on PSN. I have a ton of friends (both real life and CAG) on Xbox Live. But I like exclusive content. And I own a Vita, so I could technically play Destiny while I was at work using that . . . which I couldn't do on Xbox.

All in all, it's a damn rough spot to be in. I don't like it. And I have a week to wait. I guess I need to research how "exclusive" that content is. By that, I know it's a 1 year exclusivity contract . . . but how major is the stuff? A couple maps and guns isn't going to sway me too much.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/06/16/destinys-playstation-exclusive-content-detailed/

Should give you an idea. Honestly, the remote play does seem really cool. This game is all social to me though, I would go where the friends are. I don't think the exclusive content is compelling at all.

I got it for the Xbox One over the PS4 simply because I prefer my Xbox One more. I like the controller more and I prefer using things like Game DVR and snapping while I play.

Honestly I looked at the "Exclusive content" list and it didn't seem as exciting as I remembered it being. You get three Pieces of Armor that probably won't last forever before you upgrade them and the same goes for the two weapons you get. Three ships that if I'm not mistaken are for cosmetic purposes only. Really the only two things that are worth it are the PVP map, and the Strike Zone but I imagine there's enough content in the game without those two pieces.

Yeah, that's how I'm leaning too.  Although, I'm tempted to get it for both systems . . . because I'm a dumbass like that sometimes.  ;)

My wallet is screaming "WHY U DO DIS?!".

I'm still on the fence about this game. I'm going to wait for the reviews before I pick up my limited edition from BBY

Anybody figure out what those promotional Grimoire card codes unlock?  Its only one more week to go, it would be nice to know what that is all about. 

So I have my Limited Edition Preordered at Best Buy but I think I may go digital with this since I have so much extra MS credit to my account and of all games this seems like one that will stay for a while. Like this and the Master Chief Collection are both ones I wouldn't mind having digitally.

That being said I know all B&Ms are sold out of the LEs and last I checked Gamestop still had them available to ship.

I would gladly sell someone my copy if they wanted. If you are in the Lisle, Illinois area you can just come grab it that day, otherwise I could ship it but then it ends up with shipping costing about the same as GS anyway with the similar problem of time.

So I have my Limited Edition Preordered at Best Buy but I think I may go digital with this since I have so much extra MS credit to my account and of all games this seems like one that will stay for a while. Like this and the Master Chief Collection are both ones I wouldn't mind having digitally.

That being said I know all B&Ms are sold out of the LEs and last I checked Gamestop still had them available to ship.

I would gladly sell someone my copy if they wanted. If you are in the Lisle, Illinois area you can just come grab it that day, otherwise I could ship it but then it ends up with shipping costing about the same as GS anyway with the similar problem of time.
My only worry is that Activision may be trying to do a slow rollout of destiny content. From lawsuit documents Destiny is supposed to be at least a trilogy. That kind if scared me off a bit as they might have too lofty expectations and not enough ideas to keep it going. Meaning I might want to sell it off.

But I do agree the Halo MCC is for sure a day one digital buy for me. I know exactly what I'm getting and know I won't want to sell it.

Wow, I was just playing around with the Google maps Destiny Planet View app and that is deep.   A whole lot to see there.  Not sure if I want to go through it all though because I'd like to discover most of this next week in-game.

[quote name="simosaurus" post="12061945" timestamp="1409762240"]Wow, I was just playing around with the Google maps Destiny Planet View app and that is deep. A whole lot to see there. Not sure if I want to go through it all though because I'd like to discover most of this next week in-game.[/quote]
There's a present at the end if you do... ;)

Anyones pre-load show as 0 gigs? I downloaded it before and it was 100%. Checked yesterday and it showed 0.

I'm in the dashboard beta.

http://www.destinythegame.com/digital-upgrade

Buy the game digitally on Xbox 360 before 1/15/2015, and you get the Xbox One version free. Also applies to the season pass.

Pretty sweet deal! I'm cancelling my preorder of the disc and doing this instead; then whenever I upgrade to Xbone I'll have a free copy of Destiny waiting for me.
I already have an Xbox One Ghost version preordered, but that is damn tempting.

[quote name="HyeVltg3" post="12068187" timestamp="1409941425"]In-game present or just for the bungie profile?[/quote]
In game emblem. If you don't feel like doing it here's the code: 7F9-767F74. there are also 17 other codes that unlock Grimoire cards, but I don't have those handy.

If I could somehow get the digital version with Best Buy's GCU discount... well, I'd be all over that despite having LE and Ghost editions pre-ordered!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back