Destiny Discussion Thread - Fear The Moon Wizards on September 9th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't that just for the party app? So I'm guessing I have to remember to do that every time I start?
You only need to do it once.

Side effect: since it goes through your party app, if you want to make your party invite only, you have to change the setting if you have douchebags on your friends list that randomly joins your party.

PS4 had their own fireteam settings in-game :/

Loving the game so far, played it solo, with friends, and with randoms I meet in-game. Love the fact that you can just form a fireteam with randoms when you all enjoy each other's coop style/company.

The one thing I don't like is that everyone in your fireteam has to be roughly the same level +/- 3 levels, otherwise the lower levels will be bored because they can't do much damage and die faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name="genneo" post="12081668" timestamp="1410327939"]You only need to do it once.
Side effect: since it goes through your party app, if you want to make your party invite only, you have to change the setting if you have douchebags on your friends list that randomly joins your party.

PS4 had their own fireteam settings in-game :/

Loving the game so far, played it solo, with friends, and with randoms I meet in-game. Love the fact that you can just form a fireteam with randoms when you all enjoy each other's coop style/company.

The one thing I don't like is that everyone in your fireteam has to be roughly the same level +/- 3 levels, otherwise the lower levels will be bored because they can't do much damage and die faster.[/quote]
The beta also has the settings in game for Xbox One. I wonder why they changed it. It made it nice and easy to jump into a friend's game. Now it seems nobody knows what to do so you have to send a request to get an invite.

You can change your fireteam privacy settings in-game by going to the Roster screen and clicking on yourself. Is that what you guys are talking about...?

I loved the beta, but like CheapyD, I wished I didn't play it only because the beginning part of the game is the same as the Beta, so it would've been nice to experience it all over again for the first time :p

Bungie dropped the ball when it comes to clans because there is no in-game option at all. So if you want to communicate with clan members, you have to do it out of the game. Want to invite them? Send them a link :(

[quote name="genneo" post="12082406" timestamp="1410364477"]I loved the beta, but like CheapyD, I wished I didn't play it only because the beginning part of the game is the same as the Beta, so it would've been nice to experience it all over again for the first time :p

Bungie dropped the ball when it comes to clans because there is no in-game option at all. So if you want to communicate with clan members, you have to do it out of the game. Want to invite them? Send them a link :([/quote]
Yeah, I don't really see the benefit other than having a tag on my name. I can't see which clan members are online unless I manually add them to my friends list. Can't invite from within game. Can't check out clan stats. The nice thing is it can be improved later.

If I only game a couple times a week (say 8 hours total) and typically play alone, is Destiny worth picking up? I'm interested but the game seems highly reliant on the social aspect of it.

[quote name="staticz" post="12082583" timestamp="1410369287"]If I only game a couple times a week (say 8 hours total) and typically play alone, is Destiny worth picking up? I'm interested but the game seems highly reliant on the social aspect of it.[/quote]
I had fun solo, but it is definitely more fun with some other people. They do a good job with making you feel like you are playing with others by throwing randoms into the open areas. If you are into shooters I think you could still have fun plugging away alone.

You can change your fireteam privacy settings in-game by going to the Roster screen and clicking on yourself. Is that what you guys are talking about...?
Don't see it. Only options are "view gamercard" and "open party app"

Yeah, I don't really see the benefit other than having a tag on my name. I can't see which clan members are online unless I manually add them to my friends list. Can't invite from within game. Can't check out clan stats. The nice thing is it can be improved later.
There's achievements and supposed rewards relating to being in a clan. Hope they improve it.

If I only game a couple times a week (say 8 hours total) and typically play alone, is Destiny worth picking up? I'm interested but the game seems highly reliant on the social aspect of it.
Do you play for the story? Are you open to joining with random people your same level for co-op at times?

Will you play PvP?

The Strike missions so far have public matchmaking on, so you don't have to worry about that. No raids yet so I can't speak on it.

not to beat a already beaten horse, but are there any Dead Ghosts in the tutorial? I heard there were but cant find any guides stating where they are, started a new character just to get the one in the tutorial.

[quote name="HyeVltg3" post="12082794" timestamp="1410373590"]not to beat a already beaten horse, but are there any Dead Ghosts in the tutorial? I heard there were but cant find any guides stating where they are, started a new character just to get the one in the tutorial.[/quote]
I know of one. It was underneath the platform where you fight a bunch of enemies before you go down a tunnel with the fan. Sorry if that's vague, but my memory of the exact spot in the tutorial is flaky. I'm almost positive you can get back there again, though.

It's a lot better when you play the game who actually communicate.  Not a bad game, but it has it flaws.

I know of one. It was underneath the platform where you fight a bunch of enemies before you go down a tunnel with the fan. Sorry if that's vague, but my memory of the exact spot in the tutorial is flaky. I'm almost positive you can get back there again, though.
Good to know.....but here's a follow up question. Can you get some dead ghosts with one character and some with another and still get the achievement to pop? I'll have to look that up on xboxachievements.com.

Are the gold chests hard to find?  I somehow found one already and don't really expect to do much backtracking honestly for them.

Played my first crucible match. It was a lot of fun but also very aggravating. Snipers seem really overpowered since it felt like they killed it one shot every time I died. Enemy team was riddled with them and it wasn't fun getting sniped all game.

It just feels really mundane to me so far. The shooting and combat as a whole isn't anything special you basically just shoot shoot shoot and occasionally get to throw a grenade. Not to mention it feels like enemies take a lot of bullets to die and it gets boring when it essentially boils down to "Shoot enemy, hide in cover, reload, and then rinse and repeat 2-3 times" to kill the group.

Honestly I didn't hype the game at all and the only expectation I went into the game was "Okay Bungie made this and got a lot of funding so it must be pretty good".
Spot on. I feel the exact same way.

Honestly if this game didn't have the insane amount of hype along with the Bungie name behind it it wouldn't have gotten the same criticism though. This is what happens you hype average or below average games to hell.

Also as Cheapy D said, playing the beta and then going into this is a big no-no. Your first 5ish or so hours are exactly the same as your beta experience which really puts a damper on things.

I'm going to play the hell out of this game and probably force myself to hit level 20 with all 3 characters because I already dropped $60 on a digital copy, so why not? I hope this game ends up somehow getting better towards the end and the raid/strike content makes up for it but I'm having my doubts.

What can Bungie do if this game ends up being just a average game for the most of us? Take all the criticism to heart. Make awesome expansions and do a complete re-balance ALA Blizzard did with Diablo 3. When I got Diablo 3 at launch it was a 6/10 game at best and now It's like a 8.9/10 game thanks to basic tweaks and changes that they performed, especially playing the console versions. It's going to take a lot of work but if anybody can do it Bungie can.

My intial impression is this game is not bad, not great, just a little above average. Maybe a 7, and probably Bungie's weakest outing since Oni on PS2. I had more fun with the first Borderlands 1.

Again, initial impressions that might change but this is how I feel right now. I'm going to give this game as much as a fair shake as I possibly can considering I went full digital at $60.

So, I'm pretty close to 20 now. I need a fire team for missions and strikes. If you're down, no matter your level now, please add me.

Gamertag: BeFlatLine

[quote name="chubbyninja1319" post="12083970" timestamp="1410400397"]Good to know.....but here's a follow up question. Can you get some dead ghosts with one character and some with another and still get the achievement to pop? I'll have to look that up on xboxachievements.com.[/quote]
They all count towards one pool of Grimoire card unlocks so logically I would say you can, but I don't know that for sure.

The story gets A LOT better starting with the third story mission in the Moon (second hub you visit). I'm at the third hub now and the story is actually worth paying attention to. The Old Russia story intro was definitely meh, but now I'm interested to see how it all ends.

I do recommend going through the story solo if you don't like people talking over cutscenes, or some that are redoing missions for XP and rushing through them.

PvP is interesting how they made it a progression from Control/Domination to Team Deathmatch, etc... I do like the level upgrades restriction to start with so levels 20+ don't have a huge advantage over those starting out in PvP.

should be on around 12 or 1 EST if anyone is interested.

lvl 13 but do not mind starting a hunter or playing my lvl 3 titan if people are close to those levels.

this is on x1

How do we join the clan. Someone with a bit more availability should start a destiny group thread I would do it but I have no time as of late with school and work.

1. Go to this link CheapyD posted earlier in the thread.

2. Join it.
3. Select "Set as Xbox Clan"

There is a forum in there, but everyone so far just posts to the wall lol.
Thanks a bunch I joined it looking I'll be happy when I can knock out some raids and strykes with you guys

On 360. Played for about 2 hours, though spent too much time trying to configure my Guardian (choose Hunter).

I ended up beating the first boss (pretty sure I choose Hard before starting the mission) and felt a bit too easy.  Grinded up to level 3 but didn't even get to use Double Jump yet :whistle2:?

The Tower is very confusing as well as all the fucking non weapon/armor items.  As I'm typing this just had memories of all those random ass items in Star Fox Adventures :dunce:

I somehow wasted Glimmer (money?) on some armor I already had as I thought I was turning in Glimmer I had found in the first mission?.  First time I went to another NPC, it seems I got to pick a free weapon?

Not going to touch compettive MP (PvP) until I'm sure there's a level playing field in terms of gear and level etc.

[quote name="ajh2298" post="12086008" timestamp="1410472838"]So can you not sell items to shops? Is the only way to get money for extra and not needed items is to "dismantle" them?[/quote]
Yep.

add me on the Xbox Live: DJ r00mba

Got the game on Tuesday with my brand new xbox 1. 

BTW does anybody have sound problems with Destiny while playing? The sound will start to distort and start buzzing a bit. Won't go away until you restart the game?

Feel free to add me. I don't have a ton of time to play, but I am around sometimes. GT = BrownWing

I am really enjoying this game so far. The huge negative backlash for this game has been confusing for me. I guess it's really hard to live up to being hyped up as the next great game. Overall, we have a really terrific first person shooter with a solid multiplayer component.   

add me on the Xbox Live: DJ r00mba

Got the game on Tuesday with my brand new xbox 1.

BTW does anybody have sound problems with Destiny while playing? The sound will start to distort and start buzzing a bit. Won't go away until you restart the game?
Lmfao that GT made me literally LoL and yes I've been having sound issues as well whenever I go in game the sound will cut off so I go to the home screen and back to the game and it resolves itself.

Didn't have any sound issues like you guys, but I did have an odd thing where me (1 time) and my buddy (another time) had to restart Destiny because the fireteam voice-chat wasn't working properly.

And Rumble/FFA is just bleh. It is exactly like shotgun/sniper from Halo :(

With some guns the damage will read for example 71/78. What does the / refer to? It's only for a couple of the guns I have though
I think it means that the gun's base damage can level up. The second number is the what the damage will be after the upgrade. At least, I had one gun that read "91 / 99" and after purchasing the damage upgrade it now just says "99".

^That.

Also for some rare, exotic, legendary items you may have to level up the damage more than once to reach the final damage number.

Idk if it's a xbone issue or just a signal issue in my household but my brother and I were playing last night and we were partied up and the sound went out on our chat I had to reset to get it back

I like the game a lot more now that I've gotten out of the Beta Content I played and have had time to breath. Honestly they should have maybe made that skip able or something because to people who've played the beta before it is fatiguing as hell going back and doing that stuff again.

That being said  I can't see myself leveling more characters for some time.

I have been watching a few people stream game content that are at level 20 or around there. It seems like you just reply the same story missions over again from the beginning of the game just with higher level monsters to fight. Is that true?

Any of you guys into the MP?

I've tried it a few times and I want to like it but shit just seems uneven.  Some people have some killer one shot kill wepons, while it takes me way too many damn times to kill someone, I've tried countless of different weapons, powers, classes...just doesn't make senses to me.  If the game tracked stats (i can't seem to find any) I'm sure mine are pretty pathetic. 

Other than that, really dig the campaign so far, just itching for some MP but I guess that will have to take care of itself when CoD comes out.

Any of you guys into the MP?

I've tried it a few times and I want to like it but shit just seems uneven. Some people have some killer one shot kill wepons, while it takes me way too many damn times to kill someone, I've tried countless of different weapons, powers, classes...just doesn't make senses to me. If the game tracked stats (i can't seem to find any) I'm sure mine are pretty pathetic.

Other than that, really dig the campaign so far, just itching for some MP but I guess that will have to take care of itself when CoD comes out.
Some of the guys and I ventured into the Crucible last night and it just was not fun. The first round was okay and we only lost by a relatively small margin. But the next two rounds were a bloodbath. There were a couple level 20 and 24 guys who were doing exactly what you mention above: One shot kills and unleashing special powers that could take out 3 or 4 of us at a time. And on the moon map it seemed like a mile from the re-spawn points to get back to the action. And once we were within spitting distance of getting back into the game, there'd be someone waiting with a sniper rifle or a rocket the minute you came over the rise. I'm not setting foot back in there until I hit level 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back