Diamond and Pearl Thread 1-A (Friend Codes; Online Discussion; Trades, Battles, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='KingBroly']I'm going to get Pearl. Just because the trading will be more in my favor since it seems the majority of people are going to get Diamond only.[/quote]

yea, exactly the reason i'm even thinking about getting pearl...

[quote name='swetooth9']yea, exactly the reason i'm even thinking about getting pearl...[/quote]
im heavily considering it now as well.

i preordered diamond today based solely on the fact that it has scyther. but i can do without it if i can trade for one easily. so im considering getting it changed to pearl so i can get some better trade deals.

EDIT: sorry for the bump but im excited for this game, which i havent been since the original red. lol.

I dont know about u guys, but being that i havent played a pokemon since gold, ( i didnt even buy it, i borrowed it) i feel completely overwhelmed by the sheer amount of pokemon. and also, i never got deep in the gameplay as far as stats and such go, so i have a feeling that i will get completely trashed when i start playing online.
does anyone have a site that has a basic tutorial for setting up a team and such?

I got Pearl because I think the Pokemon on the cover looks cooler.
Also, because of what people had said above about the Diamond pokemon being easier to find to trade for.

Getting Pearl first (right away on release day) because the pokemon on the cover is better imo than the pokemon on diamond.

I am getting both though because of my obsessive collection of every pokemon game released in the USA. Since I play alone I will eventually be able to use both games though, so its not a waste of money or anything like that, as I will actually play and use both games. I also have 2 DS's so trading and doing whatever I want to do with the games will be a breeze.

I have one preordered at cduniverse for 26.xx so at least my second copy will be coming cheaper than the first. I also plan on getting the strategy guide, just for collector's sake. I find that the pokemon strategy guides are really well done and are definitely worth a purchase.

yea, i remember when i got the pokemon red/blue guide (it's all tattered and pages are coming out now) and it was pretty darn detailed

[quote name='Pestilence']I dont know about u guys, but being that i havent played a pokemon since gold, ( i didnt even buy it, i borrowed it) i feel completely overwhelmed by the sheer amount of pokemon. and also, i never got deep in the gameplay as far as stats and such go, so i have a feeling that i will get completely trashed when i start playing online.
does anyone have a site that has a basic tutorial for setting up a team and such?[/quote]

I remember back when I first got Blue and I was quite foolish in how I raised my Pokemon. I did not look at what attacks would be best for their type or anything like that. I just played because it was fun for me. Since then I have evolved into quite a competent player analyzing every aspect of my team. Just know that to enjoy the game you do not have win all your matches, all you have to do is to have fun with making your team however you want it.

You asked about a basic tutorial for setting up a team. Well, when I am making my lineup I use many sites. For your purposes I have the following suggestions to start you up:

http://www.psypokes.com/dex/index.php
There is a lot of stuff on this site. To start with you may want to read the Trainer's Guide link at the bottom of this page.

I also use Serebii.net but I did not find a beginner's guide on there so just remember that for later on.

Please note that Diamond and Pearl is a little bit different with how types and attacks work then previous games, so make sure you are aware of that. For example in the past a water attack would always be in the special category. Now it could be either special or physical, so make sure you know what it is when giving it to a Pokemon.

If you have any questions which you cannot find the answer to on those sites just ask me!

[quote name='Quintessence']I remember back when I first got Blue and I was quite foolish in how I raised my Pokemon. I did not look at what attacks would be best for their type or anything like that. I just played because it was fun for me. Since then I have evolved into quite a competent player analyzing every aspect of my team. Just know that to enjoy the game you do not have win all your matches, all you have to do is to have fun with making your team however you want it.

You asked about a basic tutorial for setting up a team. Well, when I am making my lineup I use many sites. For your purposes I have the following suggestions to start you up:

http://www.psypokes.com/dex/index.php
There is a lot of stuff on this site. To start with you may want to read the Trainer's Guide link at the bottom of this page.

I also use Serebii.net but I did not find a beginner's guide on there so just remember that for later on.

Please note that Diamond and Pearl is a little bit different with how types and attacks work then previous games, so make sure you are aware of that. For example in the past a water attack would always be in the special category. Now it could be either special or physical, so make sure you know what it is when giving it to a Pokemon.

If you have any questions which you cannot find the answer to on those sites just ask me![/quote]
Thanks for the info, i will use it well :D

[quote name='Pestilence']Thanks for the info, i will use it well :D[/quote]

Your welcome, and remember if you have any further questions feel free to ask!

April 22nd cannot come soon enough!

Do you guys think that if you don't preorder this you'll be SOL for a while? And if that might be the case, would it be too late to preorder to get it on day one?

[quote name='Ahadi']Do you guys think that if you don't preorder this you'll be SOL for a while? And if that might be the case, would it be too late to preorder to get it on day one?[/quote]

I know my Target is going to hold all Pokemon games for a week, so those with preorders can get theirs. At least, that's what I was told by a friend who works there. Odd system, but if true it does mean that you won't be buying Pokemon at Target for a week.

I'm sure you'll be able to find it at BB/CC though.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']I know my Target is going to hold all Pokemon games for a week, so those with preorders can get theirs. At least, that's what I was told by a friend who works there. Odd system, but if true it does mean that you won't be buying Pokemon at Target for a week.

I'm sure you'll be able to find it at BB/CC though.[/QUOTE]

Alright, well I'm not gonna pay much mind to it. If I stumble into a Gamestop sometime in the next week, I'll see if I can still get into the first shipment or not.

[quote name='swetooth9']nah, it should be almost everywhere (especially at best buy, circuit city, walmart)[/QUOTE]

Hah alright. I was really over thinking this. I'm used to most games being scarce for the first run or so :lol:

But this does bring up the question, is it worth the preorder for the stylus?

I'll be getting Diamond, as my bf is planning to get Pearl.

Thanks Quint for the links above. Now I can't wait for release day!

Depends on your area but I have not seen a pokemon game sell out in a long time on release day, at least where I live. The only thing I would worry about is having it sell out like, a week later and then no restock on the games for a while, so if you didn't preorder a copy get yourself out on release day to get one and you should be fine.

Hopefully this won't turn into a nintendogs fiasco where they didn't ship enough copies to start with, thus creating a shortage of the game and lots of people being unable to find it on release day or for many weeks and sometimes even months after that. But with the pokemon games they usually ship more than enough copies to the stores.

I cannot remember Pokemon ever being sold out when I went to look for it. I remember the last two generations being quite easy. I went in, picked it up, and bought it. No trouble at all.

The only reason I preordered it this time was for the free stylus. :)

[quote name='Quintessence']I cannot remember Pokemon ever being sold out when I went to look for it. I remember the last two generations being quite easy. I went in, picked it up, and bought it. No trouble at all.

The only reason I preordered it this time was for the free stylus. :)[/quote]

ditto.gif

;)

Ok, stupid n00b p0k3mans question: if the better pokemon are in Diamond, why would you want to trade for anything in Pearl? What, if anything, is worthwhile in Pearl?

[quote name='gunm']Ok, stupid n00b p0k3mans question: if the better pokemon are in Diamond, why would you want to trade for anything in Pearl? What, if anything, is worthwhile in Pearl?[/quote]
Who said all the better things are in Diamond?

Also, you need all the Sinnoh Pokemon to get the national dex, I believe, which you cannot do unless you trade from Pearl.

[quote name='gunm']Ok, stupid n00b p0k3mans question: if the better pokemon are in Diamond, why would you want to trade for anything in Pearl? What, if anything, is worthwhile in Pearl?[/QUOTE]

There are not better Pokemon in Diamond, at least from what I know. In fact, I prefer Palkia's moveset to Dialga's.

[quote name='gunm']Ok, stupid n00b p0k3mans question: if the better pokemon are in Diamond, why would you want to trade for anything in Pearl? What, if anything, is worthwhile in Pearl?[/quote]

As always there are only a certain small number which are exclusive to one, and of those only a couple actually matter if you do not care about completing the Pokedex.

[quote name='Moxio']There are not better Pokemon in Diamond, at least from what I know. In fact, I prefer Palkia's moveset to Dialga's.[/quote]

Yeah, right. It's because you like pink. Girly man.

Thanks for the responses, all! Well, I have no idea which one to get now. I guess for a novice like me, it won't matter. I'll flip a coin or see which version has fewer copies at the time I go to the store to buy or something...

[quote name='sixersballernum3']
Also, you need all the Sinnoh Pokemon to get the national dex, I believe, which you cannot do unless you trade from Pearl.[/QUOTE]
to get the national dex, you just need to complete the first pokedex. The first one doesn't have all the new species, and you just need to encounter them to add them. It sounds a bit easier to complete now.

[quote name='akilshohen']to get the national dex, you just need to complete the first pokedex. The first one doesn't have all the new species, and you just need to encounter them to add them. It sounds a bit easier to complete now.[/quote]

Oh, really? That doesn't sound too bad.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']Yeah, right. It's because you like pink. Girly man.[/QUOTE]

:roll:

Dalkia:
40 Roar Of Time
150 90 5 --
User is unable to attack the next turn

Palkia:
40 Spacial Rend
100 95 5 --
High critical hit ratio

I'm a fan of attacks that have lower strength but higher percentage attacks. For example, I much prefer surf (95, 100%) to hydro Pump (120, 85%).

One move I cannot stand is Hyper Beam and its terrible "user cannot attack next turn" deal. I have never liked it, and Roar of time is the exact same.

However, Spacial Rend sounds dreamlike to me: extremely high attack (100), great percent (95%), and a high critical hit ratio.

Ignoring "Dalkia", I'll admit I agree. :lol:

I prefer Palkia to Dialga in that aspect. However, I doubt I'll be using much of the legendaries anyway.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']Ignoring "Dalkia", I'll admit I agree. :lol:

I prefer Palkia to Dialga in that aspect. However, I doubt I'll be using much of the legendaries anyway.[/quote]

I think each has their good points and it all depends on what kind of lineup a person is going for.

Speaking of legendaries it bugs me when people say it is cheating to use them. I say that any Pokemon readily attainable in the game is fair to use. I would like to note for this that last generation I used two or three legendaries for my lineup of six; this shows that I do make use of them but I do not go all out.

The use of "ubers" is usually frowned upon. If I were playing a wifi battle, I'd have much more respect for someone that has a team of pokemon that has been specially EV trained and does well than a team with 6 legendary tanks that just batters through me.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']Ignoring "Dalkia", I'll admit I agree. :lol:

I prefer Palkia to Dialga in that aspect. However, I doubt I'll be using much of the legendaries anyway.[/QUOTE]

Whoops. #-o

*bangs head against wall*

\\:D/

[quote name='sixersballernum3']The use of "ubers" is usually frowned upon. If I were playing a wifi battle, I'd have much more respect for someone that has a team of pokemon that has been specially EV trained and does well than a team with 6 legendary tanks that just batters through me.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I'm just waiting for the battles with noob 7 year olds who'll try and pull off Arceus on me.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']The use of "ubers" is usually frowned upon. If I were playing a wifi battle, I'd have much more respect for someone that has a team of pokemon that has been specially EV trained and does well than a team with 6 legendary tanks that just batters through me.[/quote]

I do agree with you and I personally have a lot of respect for those who raise all of their Pokemon from eggs, breeding and breeding and breeding to get the right IV and then raise it paying close attention to EV training and such. I do that for four of my six and that is quite tiring. So what I do for the last two is try to catch the best legendary I can and then I EV train them.

I think it would be hard to ban legendaries. IMO some legendaries altogether suck and some regular Pokemon are at par with the best legendaries. Dragonite would be an example of this for me. I use it over Rayquaza if I feel like a Dragon Type. I also like the move set and ability of Gardevoir over say Mewtwo. So I am not the kind who just uses legendaries to brute force people. I put them in because it best suits my lineup.

I always do have a backup for each legendary in case someone asks for them to be taken out by the way. So if you want to battle sometime I would do that for you if you asked.

[quote name='Moxio']Haha, I'm just waiting for the battles with noob 7 year olds who'll try and pull off Arceus on me.[/quote]

I do not know who Arceus is yet, but I am guessing it is some strong Pokemon that will appeal to everybody.

One of my favorite things is to beat all legendary lineups with annoying prolonged battles; just to see them suffer longer ;)

Okay, I got a couple bad questions. What is this "breeding to IV" and EV training? And this is probably a worse question but can you import Pokemon from Fire Red or Leaf Green like right through the GBA slot?

IVs and EV training is probably explained very well on Serebii. You may want to check there. Unless someone here has it down pat.

You can transfer Pokemon from GBa games through the GBA slot into D/P after you get the national dex. You do it through the Pal Park.

Personally, I use Legendaries in game to tank through shit and try them out, but not in battles with people.

And as for Arceus:

Links to his/her serebii page.

Damn am I ready for this game. :lol:

[quote name='sixersballernum3']IVs and EV training is probably explained very well on Serebii. You may want to check there. Unless someone here has it down pat.

You can transfer Pokemon from GBa games through the GBA slot into D/P after you get the national dex. You do it through the Pal Park.

Personally, I use Legendaries in game to tank through shit and try them out, but not in battles with people.

And as for Arceus:

Damn am I ready for this game. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yeah I feel like I'm ready too. :p

Arceus is, like, some godlike Pokemon or something along those lines. It has the highest base stats for a Pokemon in ANY game (it beats the crap out of any legendaries introduced thus far, and puts any 3rd-level evolved Pokemon to shame). It also has the biggest TM/HM movepool ever, I believe, so you can pretty much teach it as many insane moves as you want. Finally, you can change its element at will, so you basically never have the type disadvantage.

[quote name='Moxio']Yeah I feel like I'm ready too. :p

Arceus is, like, some godlike Pokemon or something along those lines. It has the highest base stats for a Pokemon in ANY game (it beats the crap out of any legendaries introduced thus far, and puts any 3rd-level evolved Pokemon to shame). It also has the biggest TM/HM movepool ever, I believe, so you can pretty much teach it as many insane moves as you want. Finally, you can change its element at will, so you basically never have the type disadvantage.[/quote]
that's gay..why would they make that?

pokemon is a TEAM GAME GUYS...:lol:

pokemon...serious business

I was surprised at the number of one-time only pokemon in D/P.

RSE had a lot at I believe 9, but I count something like 13 in DP.

I wonder if the regis are obtainable in DP or if you have to transfer them to get Regigigas.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']IVs and EV training is probably explained very well on Serebii. You may want to check there. Unless someone here has it down pat.

And as for Arceus:

Damn am I ready for this game. :lol:[/quote]

I am ready for this game too! It will be good to be playing another Pokemon game. I will need to learn all the new ones though.

So basically it is the Mewtwo of this generation. OK :)

As for EV and IV it is a little complicated (took me a while to understand it at first) but it is probably on most any website. I have to look them up any time I do any training! It is important to know only if you are really serious about the training. If you are just playing for fun then do not worry about it.

I never tank with the legendaries. I use my starter, my flier, my other HM Pokemon, and some other one I catch early in the game.

I wonder if the regis are obtainable in DP or if you have to transfer them to get Regigigas.[/quote]

According to Serebii it says the Regis are only obtainable by "
Transfer from GBA via Pal Park."

Hmm. that's disappointing. Guess I'll have to play through sapphire more and get them. :lol:

So, what about starters? Which will you be choosing?

I'll be going with fire or water myself, since I don't like the grass starters.

So, what about starters? Which will you be choosing?

I'll be going with fire or water myself, since I don't like the grass starters.[/quote]
Well, I almost always go with the water starter, so I probably will this time too. Rarely when replaying I will go with fire. I do not like grass either.

Pearl becuase:
The Legenday Pearl guy was on my Nintendo Power
My friends getting diamond.

We'll probably trade back in forth so we can both get the exclusives.

Diamond because, though I was never fond of the "cover" legendarys after G/S, the one for Pearl looks really ugly. I need to get me a stylus soon.
I got the Pearl cover on my NP, but I don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back