Dusty's Muffler vs Brock Lesnar's Wang Sword Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hold on guys, Myke and neocisco don't like where the conversation is going. They're the only ones who post in this thread after all....

It's good to see that Vince isn't holding grudges against Savage and Demolition anymore. We went a long time without any mention of them.

[quote name='BigPopov']Vince has an amazing ability to forgive things if money is involved. Much more so than a normal promoter/businessman.[/QUOTE]

You know. Never much thought about it that way. It's true though. Spend years holding a grudge (or litigating) against a guy who ran out on you. Start over like nothing ever happened. Vince has done this consistently too. Austin, Rock, Lesnar, Foley, Hogan, Hart, and Warrior just to name a few.

My naive hope is that the softening stance on 'grudges' with older stars is a reflection of the changing power structure within WWE. While I know Vince is still 'the guy', I can only assume that people like HHH and Stephanie have been gaining more and more say in everything, possibly leading to some of the changes. I might be way off base there, but it's a thought.

Anyway, to get back to the Lesnar/Cena thing, I'm curious to see how they play this. Lesnar obviously has to win the first one, which will mark two high profile matches in a row that Cena loses. Add in the loss to Albert, and Cena's been on a bit of a losing streak, or as close as Cena will likely get to one. Trying to push him as on the level of The Rock for Mania only half worked, crowd support wise, so I have to wonder if the new plan to garner fan backing is to have him start losing more. That sounds ridiculous, but this is Cena... name me the last time he didn't overcome the odds for TWO MONTHS IN A ROW. That's a big deal.

I don't know, I'm just sort of thinking out loud here. It also implies that WWE has some kind of plan in place, which I'm also not yet convinced of. They managed to bungle a the final two months of a twelve month long build, so planning obviously isn't their strong suit. Still, it's a different direction for Cena, albeit in the smallest way possible. I'm guessing he'll still smile and act like a goon, but it's refreshing to go into Cena matches not totally convinced I have to hear RAPPPPADOOOOOOOOO twice.

[quote name='davo1224']Hold on guys, Myke and neocisco don't like where the conversation is going. They're the only ones who post in this thread after all....[/QUOTE]

Ah, put a muffler in it.

The beef with Vince and Demolition lies with the Demolition name - after they left the WWF, Ax (Bill Eadie) and the original Smash tried using the Demolition name on the indies as "Axis and Blast" until the WWF found out and sent them a cease and desist letter. Eadie tried suing the company for the name in the mid-90's, but lost and eventually signed a deal to give Vince the name with the caveat that he be included in merchandising and be allowed the occasional indie nostalgia appearance (see Demolition teaming with The One Man Gang in Chikara's King Of Trios tourney).

Edit - Oh fuck you, I go to look up the result of the lawsuit and get beaten by 2 minutes.

[quote name='masked lemon']What was Vince's grudge with Demolition about?[/QUOTE]

Eadie/Ax brought a lawsuit over the gimmick at some point in the 90's. Eadie lost but Vince was annoyed. At some point shortly after leaving the WWF, Ax was running around as "Axis The Demolisher" in Global in a sorta-Demolition outfit with cheaper-looking facepaint and non-blacked hair, talking in a non-gravelly voice. It was weird as fuck and I likened it to your high school shop teacher pretending to be in Demolition.

[quote name='Brak']Anyone here collect WWE Rumblers?[/QUOTE]

Kinda. I buy 'em to keep at my house for when my nephew comes over. That Money in the Bank set that fits inside the briefcase is pretty neat. Why do you ask?

I do realize that the WWE has proven to be incredibly short-sighted in terms of booking for years now, but when it comes to Lesnar, I just have to think that they have a plan, if only to entice Lesnar to come back.

By all accounts, Brock is a very private guy and he has indicated as absolute willingness to simply go about his life on his farm up in the frozen north. As such, I'm assuming that when he was approached by the WWE to make a return, I think they had to have laid out not only a tremendous amount of money for him but also a solid plan of how he'd be used. Maybe it was enough to say, "You don't have to work house shows and you'll only be on two RAWs a month." but if you're going to be dealing with restrictions like that, it makes sense to come up with a more fully-realized gameplan for the guy. I guess time will tell.

[quote name='Halo05']I do realize that the WWE has proven to be incredibly short-sighted in terms of booking for years now, but when it comes to Lesnar, I just have to think that they have a plan, if only to entice Lesnar to come back.

By all accounts, Brock is a very private guy and he has indicated as absolute willingness to simply go about his life on his farm up in the frozen north. As such, I'm assuming that when he was approached by the WWE to make a return, I think they had to have laid out not only a tremendous amount of money for him but also a solid plan of how he'd be used. Maybe it was enough to say, "You don't have to work house shows and you'll only be on two RAWs a month." but if you're going to be dealing with restrictions like that, it makes sense to come up with a more fully-realized gameplan for the guy. I guess time will tell.[/QUOTE]

Well coming off their biggest Wrestlemania ever financially - from what I hear - I think they're feeling pretty good about where there are.

There definitely has to be a plan for Lesnar and I think it's probably leading into Cena/Lesnar, with Lesnar picking up the win, going into Punk/Lesnar, where Lesnar takes the belt, and eventually running into Summerslam where The Rock comes back and beats Lesnar for the belt, taking back his loss to Lesnar back in 2002. I imagine The Rock then comes back for a schedule similar to that of Lesnar until Wrestlemania where Cena wins the belt and takes back his loss to The Rock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVeIWIcYhh4

Bryan is clearly the most over guy in the company right now, why does WWE insist on doing everything they possibly can to try to get us to stop cheering for him? This is something they should be taking the ball and running with, and instead they edit every taped show they can so the crowd at home can't hear the massive Yes chants.

It's as if WWE doesn't want to be successful.

They try to make us cheer for Sheamus, we said No, no, no.
18 seconds match, what the fuck was that, go go go
to hell in record time, we'll chant yes for a long time
They try to make us cheer for Sheamus, we said No, no, no.

[quote name='TheRock88']How damn stupid is WWE? Trying to edit out the Yes chants and replacing them with boo's yet you can see EVERYONE in the crowd (even little kids) clearly chanting yes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEI8NysrY3k[/QUOTE]

I swear WWE had so little respect for its fanbase it's astounding, but not surprising in the least. It's another classic case of "You cheer for who we TELL you to cheer for, and we'll bury the guy you like until you do." It happened with Zack Ryder before he got his half-hour push, and it's still happening today. They just do lip service to the fans by having him on TV now.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Kinda. I buy 'em to keep at my house for when my nephew comes over. That Money in the Bank set that fits inside the briefcase is pretty neat. Why do you ask?[/QUOTE]
Just curious.

I have a couple of John Cena ones and a Sin Cara. I got a sealed Rock / Cena one, too, but I'm gonna try to sell it on eBay.

This is kind of petty but I don't give a fuck. After seeing that edit I'm not going to Raw. I'm not giving a company that tries to do that shit any of my money. Editing DVDs is bad enough. Editing your TV show to remove a chant you are hocking tshirts for and renaming finishers in honor of is the stupidest fucking thing they've done since when they blew the Nexus angle with Cena, maybe even further back than that. This shit is flat-out insulting.

Not sure if this has been posted, but it's relevant for today.

AUYls.jpg

^ :rofl:

[quote name='KaneRobot']This shit is flat-out insulting.[/QUOTE]

More or less the point succinctly. Doing so is showing contempt for the fans and what they want.

Imagine if they edited out all the "what"s from fans instead.

Here's a prediction on my part. You won't see D. Brine on Raw for a long time so they can continue to use post-production techniques to de-push crowd interest in him.

Ironically (did someone else here already make this point?), his 18-second squash to the forced-down-our-throats Sheamus did incredible things for Bryan's career. Fans know that wrestling is fake, and they know Bryan is a delight to watch in the ring. The crowd in Miami the night after WM helped show WWE that they want to see Daniel Bryan wrestle via their "YES!" chants - which is important and quite distinguishable from "we want to cheer him as a babyface." The crowd solidarity was in response to what fans saw as disrespectful booking by WWE - and Sheamus became the innocent bystander of the crowd's ire (because he represents the company forcing their will on the "universe."

Crowd sometimes want to cheer heels (Austin) and the company has no choice but to oblige. I wouldn't put Bryan anywhere near Austin during his feud with Savio Vega or Bret Hart, but the crowd reaction conveys to me that they want to see Bryan ply his trade, and that an 18-second squash is the antithesis of what they want to see out of him. They don't demand he be turned face, or that he win all the time, or that he keeps the belt. The crowd rallying behind Bryan meant none of those things - they simply paid money to see a wrestler wrestle, and they felt like they were hoodwinked by WWE's bookers and writers.

Also of note: if this was WWE's attempt to get Sheamus' finisher over as a legitimate threat, super-ultra-killer finisher - they failed in that regard.

Times like these I begin to wonder if conspiracy theories about WWE bringing back ECW with the intention of bombing the program so crowds would stop chanting "E-C-W!" were legitimate.

Sheamus reminds me of a generic early-to-mid-'90s WCW babyface (except with some mic time).

In other words: fuckin' terrible.

He may be a good worker, but smilin' and pounding your chest ain't enough to connect with the crowd.

Sheamus has been completey vanilla since his WM feud with HHH. As soon as Lobsterhead hits, I have a sudden urge to use the restroom.

The handling of the booking of Sheamus and Daniel Bryan is something to behold. It's like the fans are a winding river and the WWE is a ship. That ship doesn't give a fuck that the most intuitive thing to do is flow with the river. It is going to go straight in the direction it wants to go even if it looks like it's going to run aground.

[quote name='ced']The handling of the booking of Sheamus and Daniel Bryan is something to behold. It's like the fans are a winding river and the WWE is a ship. That ship doesn't give a fuck that the most intuitive thing to do is flow with the river. It is going to go straight in the direction it wants to go even if it looks like it's going to run aground.[/QUOTE]

In other words, WWE runs on Brannigan's Law.

[quote name='Purple Flames']In other words, WWE runs on Brannigan's Law.[/QUOTE]

WWE loves you hard and fast? Or WWE doesn't understand the law but merely enforces it?

Just a perfect example of how little the wwe knows what they are doing...They edit out the yes chants for TV but then play up the chants for the written article on their site... #-o

LONDON – Just nine days before Extreme Rules, World Heavyweight Champion Sheamus, Intercontinental Champion Big Show and Randy Orton treated Mark Henry to a trifecta of devastating finishers to emerge victorious in their six-man tag team showdown. Meanwhile, after once again being mistreated by Daniel Bryan, AJ unleashed a side of herself that would shock the WWE Universe.

Emerging in a sea of “YES!” chants by the London members of the WWE Universe, Daniel Bryan wasted no time pointing out the numerous ways in which Sheamus had “taking the cowardly way out.” He cited his adversary's actions in their World Title Match at WrestleMania as well as the $500,000 fine, the largest in WWE history, that The Celtic Warrior's got for Brogue Kicking referee Chad Patton – even eluding to his "permanent probation" status that will get The Great White fired if he so much as touches another official

[quote name='mykevermin']:rofl:

terrible.[/QUOTE]

It's covering their asses. I bet the next smackdown not only doesn't have the YES! covered, it'll probably be amplified.

Some quality additions to Netflix..

* The Best of King of the Ring (Full set)
* Greatest Rivalries: Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels (Documentary only - thanks Tsel!)
* The Ladder Match 2 - Crash and Burn (Full set)
* Randy Orton: The Evolution of a Predator (Documentary only)
* The Rock: The Epic Journey of Dwayne Johnson (Documentary only)
* Stone Cold Steve Austin: The Bottom Line on the Most Popular Superstar of All Time (Documentary only)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Brak']Anyone here collect WWE Rumblers?[/QUOTE]

Kind of. My girls have gotten a few of the 2 packs for me when their Mom takes them out to buy Moshi Monsters.

edit: updated my Netflix queue. Thanks!

Yes.

I love Cinemagraphs.. (credit to WrasslorMonkey @ SA - seriously, the guy's a GIF wizard.)

zNtDG.gif

vGovn.gif

hn7op.gif

cF2BI.gif

UgVvL.gif

R2bhl.gif

8Mekb.gif

hv3f5.gif

VKR5y.gif

bE9eV.gif

Also, this Stephanie gif gave me nightmares.

LS6sN.gif

Aaaaand I'm gonna leave this one unspoilered just because it's so awesome.

NOGlB.gif

[quote name='mykevermin']Here's a prediction on my part. You won't see D. Brine on Raw for a long time so they can continue to use post-production techniques to de-push crowd interest in him.[/QUOTE]
Yep. I was honestly surprised they didn't on-the-fly remove his match from Raw after hearing the fans' reaction from earlier in the night.

If this keeps up, probably the most we can hope for at this point is fans continue to do the "YES" "NO" thing during other matches, much like WHAT became something that existed with or without Austin. I know a lot of people are saying it'll get annoying after a while, but I don't really think it'll be as bad as WHAT. That was just fans being annoying and detracting from a segment. The YES thing strikes me more as fans being more into a match, like a chant at a soccer game or something. I definitely prefer that to just tepidly cheering or booing.

[quote name='xilly']It's covering their asses. I bet the next smackdown not only doesn't have the YES! covered, it'll probably be amplified.[/QUOTE]

That and the fact that the backstage segment with Bryan debuting the YES! lock to Kofi was The Soup's Clip of the Week.

Actually, I believe this is the second time Daniel Bryan was featured in the clip of the week. Last time it was during a vegan speech to CM Punk.

[quote name='Cage017']That and the fact that the backstage segment with Bryan debuting the YES! lock to Kofi was The Soup's Clip of the Week.

Actually, I believe this is the second time Daniel Bryan was featured in the clip of the week. Last time it was during a vegan speech to CM Punk.[/QUOTE]

Wow. I guess I should watch The Soup more often. Joel McHale is pretty bloody funny.

[quote name='Cage017']That and the fact that the backstage segment with Bryan debuting the YES! lock to Kofi was The Soup's Clip of the Week.

Actually, I believe this is the second time Daniel Bryan was featured in the clip of the week. Last time it was during a vegan speech to CM Punk.[/QUOTE]

He was. Hence Joel McHale addressing him as "Vegan WWE Superstar Daniel Bryan". Still nothing beats WWE on The Soup like the time they spoofed Randy Orton and Cody Rhodes standing toe-to-toe just heavily breathing at one another (quick video search turned up nothing but a pulled down video :/). It was the same time they where ragging on the soap opera guy that kept yelling "Rick!" multiple times per episode.

[quote name='xilly']It's covering their asses. I bet the next smackdown not only doesn't have the YES! covered, it'll probably be amplified.[/QUOTE]

Watch them start piping in the Yes chants, a la WCW and Goldberg.

This one has meme written all over it

yB7A0.gif

It'd be cool to see wrestlers kind of "break the fourth wall" as a gimmick. DB would be a faceheel where the fans love him but the editing team keeps trying to censor the yes chants which would piss him off, Ryder would get fed up and turn heel due to creative trying to censor him.. And it wouldn't hurt to see someone deliver an amazing shoot promo sometime soon.

I think DDP should definitely be in the HoF, but he's a little too high on himself:

“I think eventually it’s got to happen. Nobody did what I did. Nobody was as over in the 90′s. I was in the top five guys according to Pro Wrestling Illustrated.

:rofl:

Just saw a youtube clip of Antonio Cesaro's 'debut' on Smackdown. That's why I'm losing interest in WWE, and haven't watched since the Raw after WM.

I have smackdown on in the background while I'm doing other stuff and The Usos did the entrance dance. Its cool... Love your heritage and all that, but man That 1st promo where they came in and said "we are in YOUR colleges" and how they were the anti-samoan stereotype made them much more interesting. Just kinda feel it was a missed opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back