Fantasy Football "Who should I start?" thread, Version 2.0

[quote name='_Ph03n1x_']im kind of torn about who to start this week and im wondering if you guys can help me out. here is my entire team:
QB: Eli Manning, Joe Flacco (pick 1)
WR: Terrell Owens, Pierre Garcon, Larry Fitz, Lee Evans (pick 2)
RB: Cedric Benson, Christopher Ivory, Reggie Bush, Tashard Choice, Joseph Addai (he is out)(pick 2)
TE: Vernon Davis, Tony Moeaki (pick 1 but i will most likely go with davis.)
And also choose one of the above for my flex spot.

Thanks for the help![/QUOTE]

Flacco, TO, Garcon (hopefully you played him!!), Fitz, Benson, Ivory, Davis.

[quote name='chimpster1313']Simple question.

Week 14, Playoffs Round 1, I am the 1 seed and undefeated, taking on the 8 seed.

Both my QB's have decent matchups. Orton at Arizona, JAAAAAAAAAASH Freeman at Washington. Who should I start?

Alright, 2 questions, actually. Should I pick up Cleveland's D for a favorable matchup at Buffalo OR keep Oakland's D in a matchup at Jacksonville?[/QUOTE]

I have the same dilemma at quarterback, and I'm starting Orton, because the Cardinals are terrible. For the def, flip a coin.

I can't decide between two RBs...J. Stewart (vs. ATL) or R. Torain (vs. TB)?

Yeah, I decided on Orton. I like to think against a bad Arizona defense combined with a new coach in Denver that might motivate Orton to go bananas again. Plus, last week was his first bad week of the season.

Ok, I have a dilemma at RB (playoffs this week)

WR: Greg Jennings, Mike Wallace, Santonio Holmes, Bench: Deion Branch, Mike Thomas
RB: Jon Stewart, Felix Jones, Bench: Cedric Benson, Chris Ivory, Mike Goodson or pick up Tashard Choice

I'm pretty much set with my WR, but my RB is a mess. I'm thinking Stewart since Goodson was banged up last week and didn't do much. However, Felix Jones vs Benson is my other choice. One thing to note, I get POINTS PER CATCH, and Felix Jones usually catches 3-4 passes a game....so that is an easy 4 points. Also, it appears Pierre Thomas is back this week, so the Saints RB is a mess with Ivory, Thomas, Bush and Jones working in

Any reason I should start Mike Thomas or Jacoby Ford over TO and Sidney Rice?

RB's Do I go with Maurice Jones Drew over Rice or Moreno?

[quote name='kube00']Any reason I should start Mike Thomas or Jacoby Ford over TO and Sidney Rice?

RB's Do I go with Maurice Jones Drew over Rice or Moreno?[/QUOTE]

MJD is on fire right now, I hope you start em.

Anybody got the balls to start the Bear's defense?

Need some last minute advice on WR's.

Starting Miles Austin need two more:

Mike Williams TB, Danny Woodhead NE, Mike Thomas Jac, Robert Meachem NO, and Roy Williams Dal.

Leaning towards Meachum and Roy Williams. I just don't think TB is going to throw much today.

Thanks!

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Need some last minute advice on WR's.

Starting Miles Austin need two more:

Mike Williams TB, Danny Woodhead NE, Mike Thomas Jac, Robert Meachem NO, and Roy Williams Dal.

Leaning towards Meachum and Roy Williams. I just don't think TB is going to throw much today.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I'd personally avoid Roy Williams, as he hasn't shown any kind of consistency this season. I'd go Mike Williams and Woodhead.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']I'd personally avoid Roy Williams, as he hasn't shown any kind of consistency this season. I'd go Mike Williams and Woodhead.[/QUOTE]

Good point Roy has been all over the map.

3 RB's; 2 spots, who do I sit? Currently I'm sitting Jacobs only because of his sporadic play.

F.Jones
M.Tolbert
B.Jacobs

Thanks!

[quote name='chimpster1313']I am so so so fucked in both my leagues today. So much underperforming.[/QUOTE]

My team is the same. Please Orton don't pull this crap next week. Please :pray:

[quote name='chimpster1313']I am so so so fucked in both my leagues today. So much underperforming.[/QUOTE]In my league, we do a 13 week regular season, so this is the first week of our playoffs. The top 2 seeds get a first round bye, and that is saving me right now. I finished 10-3, and I'm the #1 seed. Sub-par games from Rashard Mendenhall, Mike Wallace, Philip Rivers, and Dan Carpenter would have sunk me had I been playing this week. Meanwhile, the guy that is the lowest seed in our playoffs has the hottest team, and he had another nice week this week; looks like he'll be advancing to face me next week. The thing is, I've faced this guy in our league's Super Bowl the last two years and he's beaten me both times. :bomb:

Well I was within 10 pts with three guys left to play tomorrow, but Jackson just scored again for him which leaves me 54-104, I don't think Rice, Boss, and my Kicker can make up 50 pts for tomorrow. Oh well there is always next year

Rogers going down today scares me about next week. I'm the #1 seed and thus had this week off, but I'm scrambling to pick up a QB off of the waiver wire just in case.

[quote name='Danimal']In my league, we do a 13 week regular season, so this is the first week of our playoffs. The top 2 seeds get a first round bye, and that is saving me right now. I finished 10-3, and I'm the #1 seed. Sub-par games from Rashard Mendenhall, Mike Wallace, Philip Rivers, and Dan Carpenter would have sunk me had I been playing this week. Meanwhile, the guy that is the lowest seed in our playoffs has the hottest team, and he had another nice week this week; looks like he'll be advancing to face me next week. The thing is, I've faced this guy in our league's Super Bowl the last two years and he's beaten me both times. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I was totally fucked. I had Mendenhall, who did shit, Hillis, who did marginal shit, the Cleveland defense (who I played based on the matchup), and did shit, Orton did worse than LAST week (which I was sure was impossible), Calvin Johnson had his worst game of the season, and Gates sat out so I had to quickly replace him with Aaron Hernandez who I thought would be an ace in the hole and he got me ZERO POINTS. I was the number 1 seed, and I lost to the 8 seed. My lowest point total to this point in the season had been 94. This week? With Anquan Boldin still to go (but surely not to save me), I have 42.

God. Damn. It.

[quote name='chimpster1313']Yeah. I was totally fucked. I had Mendenhall, who did shit, Hillis, who did marginal shit, the Cleveland defense (who I played based on the matchup), and did shit, Orton did worse than LAST week (which I was sure was impossible), Calvin Johnson had his worst game of the season, and Gates sat out so I had to quickly replace him with Aaron Hernandez who I thought would be an ace in the hole and he got me ZERO POINTS. I was the number 1 seed, and I lost to the 8 seed. My lowest point total to this point in the season had been 94. This week? With Anquan Boldin still to go (but surely not to save me), I have 42.

God. Damn. It.[/QUOTE]Nothing worse than having your team pick the exact wrong week to all simultaneously go in the tank. My buddy who was the #4 seed in our playoffs lost yesterday to the #5 seed (even though that guy only has one healthy RB on his roster) when Rodgers, Bowe, Pettigrew, and the Broncos D combined to give him 1.5 points. Ouch. This kind of thing is practically an annual tradition for me; since the first year we did the league (something like 15 years now), I've never missed the playoffs once. In that time, I've won exactly one Super Bowl. And lost 5 of them. :roll:

[quote name='kube00']Well I was within 10 pts with three guys left to play tomorrow, but Jackson just scored again for him which leaves me 54-104, I don't think Rice, Boss, and my Kicker can make up 50 pts for tomorrow. Oh well there is always next year[/QUOTE]

Depends on your kicker. If you're lucky and had Jay Feely, you just got a kicker who outscored anyone on my roster. He scored 5 FG's and a touchdown. That's gotta be a record of some kind!

I was third in the league and got beat by the second place guy. Lots of under performing around the league yesterday. What really hurt me was not starting Garcon Thursday night, taking the Denver D, and Gates being inactive.

i have my game locked up. but i have my eye on the #1 seed's game. he is neck and neck with a non-playoff team. if he goes down, which is 50/50 right now, then ill take the #1 seed over again. i'd much rather have that matchup for the first round of the playoffs.

I am annoyed because my team has been GREAT all year - and now that the playoffs are here things are crashing down a little bit.

Starting QB Aaron Rogers who might not even play week 1 in the playoffs . ... which makes starting receiver Greg Jennings much crappier of an option.

Backup QB is Rothlesburger but he is up against the Jets which means not many points I am expecting out of him.

my TE is Antonio Gates who if he plays will get me enough points - but that's up in the air at the moment.

RB's I'm fine on. Got Bradshaw, McCoy and Foster.

One WR in Andre Johnson but nothing worthwhile as a backup in case Rogers doesn't come back.

Going to be so pi$$ed if I don't win this thing like I should

Lots of underperforming... to my favor :D. In a CAG league, I was the 8th seed (7-6 record) and I beat the #1 seed with a 12-1 record.

Unless I misremember, my money league has become funny after this past week. 12 spots (30 teams). 5 of those were in my division, all but two were knocked out this past week. The only two to survive were myself and "Tap That Pass" who both had a bye week.

And if I play Bills2010 or Screaming for Vengeance like I think I will this week, I like my chances to get to the money round. Since the only duplicate players we have is an WR or two, one of which I may not even start (though probably will depending on matchups / injuries).

Yep, all the productive guys in the league underperformed last week. I lost as a 4th seed to the 5th seed by like 50 points. I think my margin loss was greater than the points I scored (around 50). Hillis, Peterson, Roddy White, Denver D, Benjamin Watson, Blount, it was just a horrible day for me.

My team in my money league has been awesome all year. I had a bye this week but still outscored the entire league by 40+ points. This is the 5th week I've been then top scorer and since we get $10 for every week won I've already made back my $50 investment. I'm a little nervous heading into this week though. The #6 seed in my league has been on an absolute tear. He started out 2-7 and has won the last 5 weeks in a row - by a lot. I'll be so pissed if I lose since I am the overall #1 seed and I'm 200+ points clear of the field.

Just look at this awesomeness:

Vick
CJ
Bradshaw
McFadden
Wayne
Nicks
Winslow
Akers
Giants D

Bench:
Tomlinson
Fitzgerald
Janikowski
Cutler
Romo

I'll be the #2 seed in my main league. I play a team that handed me 2 of my 3 losses this year, so I'm nervous. It's also a rematch of the 2008 championship where I beat him. Actually, the 4 teams that made the playoffs are the same 4 that made it in 2008, so in a weird way, I feel good about it. I was thinking of changing my team name to my 2008 team name...

Looks like I might have a better shot against the number one seed than last week as long as Foster and Peyton Manning don't go insane. I beat him the last time we faced each other, he was undefeated at the time. It was the week KC played at Indy and Peyton had one of his worst fantasy days of all time.

If I had lost in Week 13 (our regular season finale), I would have been the #2 seed in the playoffs instead of #1, and I would have had a much easier draw for this week. As it is, I'm playing the #6 seed, who has been the hottest team in the league for the past month. He's also the guy who has beaten me in our league's past 2 Super Bowls. So yeah, big game.

At RB, I'm starting Foster and SJax, and leaving Mendenhall on the bench.

At WR, I think I'm going with Colston and Nicks and benching Wallace.

I'm starting San Diego's DST (vs. SF) over Miami (vs. BUF)

Would anyone change any of those decisions?

^ Don't see anything wrong with those decisions. Especially since San Diego brings the pain at the end of the regular season every year.

Here is what I'm starting most likely:

QB Josh Freeman vs DET (Cutler is too inconsistent though. I also have Sam Bradford)

WR Mike Williams TB, Danny Woodhead NE, and Pierre Garcon IND (also have Miles Austin DAL and Roy Williams DAL really leaning toward Austin especially since the game is at Dallas)

RB MJD JAC LeGarrette Blount TB (I also have Ricky Williams Mia)

TE Rob Gronkowski NE (Since Gates SD is probably not playing tomorrow another option is picking up Chris Cooley Wash)

K Shayne Graham NE

DEF Arizona vs Car (other options are Tenn, NE, and TB) I think I'm going to go with Arizona due to "the Carolina effect" sorry Panthers fans. However, if Rogers can't play against NE I'll probably go with them instead.

Would anyone make any changes to these?

Last edited by a moderator:
I gotta start 3 of the following 4... what do you guys think?

Adrian Peterson
Darren McFadden
Jonathan Stewart
LeGarrette Blount

AP and McFadden seem like no brainers, but I can't decide between Stewart and Blount (both have Favorable match-ups in ARI and DET, respectively).

Also, which of the following WR would you start (only 2)

Welker
Desean Jackson
Kenny Britt
Jacoby Ford
Terrell Owens

I've been rocking primarily Welker and Jackson all season. Welker has been maddeningly inconsistent, though. I'm thinking about Jackson and T.O. What do you guys think?

Also... last question Marcades Lewis @Indy or Tony Gonzo @Seattle?

Playoff time is rough.

Despite being 2nd in points differential and points scored, I'm 5th in my league. Tough choices this week:
Hillis or McFadden?
Tamme or Vernon Davis?
and I need to select 2 out of a group of Steve Johnson, Sidney Rice, Anquan Bouldin, and Austin Collie

Mendenhall (NYJ) or Torain (@DAL)???

Who should I run as my 3 WR (non PPR league)...
- Mike Williams (Seattle) (ATL)
- Austin Collie (JAC)
- Danny Amedola (KC)
- Anthony Armstrong (@DAL)

Lastly, should I give up hope on Orton or continue to run him, thinking the last two weeks were flukes?

DISCLAIMER: I feel that before I offer any advice, I should mention something. I do pretty well at fantasy football; I do insane amounts of pre-draft research every year, I draft well, and I'm luckier than a leprechaun. I've made the playoffs in my main league every year for the past 15 years, and I'm one game away from being in my 4th straight league Super Bowl. HOWEVER.... my knack for making the wrong call when it comes to lineup decisions is uncanny. Legendary. Eerie. In fact, that knack for picking the wrong guy to go with each week is the reason I began a "Who Should I start?" thread last year. I haven't kept track of how often my advice in here is good or bad, so maybe this "skill" only applies to setting my own lineup. I'm not sure. I just thought it was worth mentioning.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']^ Don't see anything wrong with those decisions. Especially since San Diego brings the pain at the end of the regular season every year.

Here is what I'm starting most likely:

QB Josh Freeman vs DET (Cutler is too inconsistent though. I also have Sam Bradford)

WR Mike Williams TB, Danny Woodhead NE, and Pierre Garcon IND (also have Miles Austin DAL and Roy Williams DAL really leaning toward Austin especially since the game is at Dallas)

RB MJD JAC LeGarrette Blount TB (I also have Ricky Williams Mia)

TE Rob Gronkowski NE (Since Gates SD is probably not playing tomorrow another option is picking up Chris Cooley Wash)

K Shayne Graham NE

DEF Arizona vs Car (other options are Tenn, NE, and TB) I think I'm going to go with Arizona due to "the Carolina effect" sorry Panthers fans. However, if Rogers can't play against NE I'll probably go with them instead.

Would anyone make any changes to these?[/QUOTE] I think I would start Austin ahead of Woodhead, and yeah- if Rodgers doesn't play, I'd go with the Pats D, too.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']I gotta start 3 of the following 4... what do you guys think?

Adrian Peterson
Darren McFadden
Jonathan Stewart
LeGarrette Blount

AP and McFadden seem like no brainers, but I can't decide between Stewart and Blount (both have Favorable match-ups in ARI and DET, respectively).

Also, which of the following WR would you start (only 2)

Welker
Desean Jackson
Kenny Britt
Jacoby Ford
Terrell Owens

I've been rocking primarily Welker and Jackson all season. Welker has been maddeningly inconsistent, though. I'm thinking about Jackson and T.O. What do you guys think?

Also... last question Marcades Lewis @Indy or Tony Gonzo @Seattle?

Playoff time is rough.[/QUOTE] I would go with Stewart at RB3, Jackson and T.O., and Gonzales. My opponent this week has Gonzales, so I fully expect him to go off.

[quote name='ayolykewhoa']Despite being 2nd in points differential and points scored, I'm 5th in my league. Tough choices this week:
Hillis or McFadden?
Tamme or Vernon Davis?
and I need to select 2 out of a group of Steve Johnson, Sidney Rice, Anquan Bouldin, and Austin Collie[/QUOTE]I would start McFadden, Tamme, Boldin, and Collie.

[quote name='lordopus99']Mendenhall (NYJ) or Torain (@DAL)???

Who should I run as my 3 WR (non PPR league)...
- Mike Williams (Seattle) (ATL)
- Austin Collie (JAC)
- Danny Amedola (KC)
- Anthony Armstrong (@DAL)

Lastly, should I give up hope on Orton or continue to run him, thinking the last two weeks were flukes?[/QUOTE]Mendenhall is due to get back on track, but I'm not sure he'll do it this week. I think I'd go Torain. I'd go Collie at WR3. Who else do you have at QB besides Orton?

[quote name='Danimal']Mendenhall is due to get back on track, but I'm not sure he'll do it this week. I think I'd go Torain. I'd go Collie at WR3. Who else do you have at QB besides Orton?[/QUOTE]

I would have to go waiver wire. I rode Orton the whole way after Kolb flopped. Kitna and Collins are some available options.

OK here's the lineup for the second round of the playoffs. I'm not feeling all that comfortable and I need some help with the bolded ones - really the Nicks/Fitzgerald decision. Nicks will be the only WR for the Giants because Smith and probably Manningham are going to be out. He will get a lot of balls but he will probably be double covered - and he's coming off of an injury (although that didn't seem to slow him down last week). Fitzgerald has no QB at all and has generally been awful BUT they are playing Carolina this week and the Cardinals are miraculously still alive for a playoff spot. What do I do???

Vick
CJ
Bradshaw
McFadden
Wayne
Nicks (v. PHI) or Fitzgerald (@CAR)
Winslow (v. DET) or Shiancoe (v. CHI)
Akers
Giants D (v. PHI) or Titans D (v. HOU)

I also have LDT on my bench but I think he sits this week.

You need help with those? they look pretty easy to me... Fitz, Winslow and Giants D

you can't start Shaincoe with Webb playing QB and you can't start a defense against Houston.. too explosive.

[quote name='lordopus99']I would have to go waiver wire. I rode Orton the whole way after Kolb flopped. Kitna and Collins are some available options.[/QUOTE]I'd grab Kitna if you can and go with him. If not, I think I'd take my chances with Orton over Collins.

[quote name='javeryh']OK here's the lineup for the second round of the playoffs. I'm not feeling all that comfortable and I need some help with the bolded ones - really the Nicks/Fitzgerald decision. Nicks will be the only WR for the Giants because Smith and probably Manningham are going to be out. He will get a lot of balls but he will probably be double covered - and he's coming off of an injury (although that didn't seem to slow him down last week). Fitzgerald has no QB at all and has generally been awful BUT they are playing Carolina this week and the Cardinals are miraculously still alive for a playoff spot. What do I do???

Vick
CJ
Bradshaw
McFadden
Wayne
Akers

I also have LDT on my bench but I think he sits this week.[/QUOTE]I like Nicks and Winslow, and.... not sure with the D's. Both terrible matchups. Anything available on the waiver wire? If not, I guess I'd go with the Giants. They're just a better defense than Tennessee, and sometimes those divisional rivalry games end up being defensive battles. I'd be nervous going with either of them this week, though.

[quote name='DestroVega']You need help with those? they look pretty easy to me... Fitz, Winslow and Giants D

you can't start Shaincoe with Webb playing QB and you can't start a defense against Houston.. too explosive.[/QUOTE]

I'm set on Winslow and the Giants D. I think Nicks might be a better option than Fitzgerald though. I don't know. Nicks has been a beast for me this season and even last week he had 90+ yards receiving (no TD though).

Sometimes you gotta go with your gut...

Right now my starting QB is Jason Campbell (over Big Ben, dropped Mark Sanchez). My starting flex is Jacoby Ford (over Deion Branch, Vincent Jackson and Brian Westbrook). I'm going with that unless someone talks me out of it. This is for the first round of the playoffs.

[quote name='Danimal']

I think I would start Austin ahead of Woodhead, and yeah- if Rodgers doesn't play, I'd go with the Pats D, too.

[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm leaning towards since you just never know who is going to perform for the Pats besides Brady and Graham. I'm really hoping Rodgers doesn't go even though I feel good about the Cards D against the Carolina.

[quote name='javeryh']OK here's the lineup for the second round of the playoffs. I'm not feeling all that comfortable and I need some help with the bolded ones - really the Nicks/Fitzgerald decision. Nicks will be the only WR for the Giants because Smith and probably Manningham are going to be out. He will get a lot of balls but he will probably be double covered - and he's coming off of an injury (although that didn't seem to slow him down last week). Fitzgerald has no QB at all and has generally been awful BUT they are playing Carolina this week and the Cardinals are miraculously still alive for a playoff spot. What do I do???

Vick
CJ
Bradshaw
McFadden
Wayne
Akers

I also have LDT on my bench but I think he sits this week.[/QUOTE]

I would probably go Nicks, Winslow and Giants (though that is potentially very scary with Vick). Are there any waiver wire D options?

I think the Giants D is the safer bet. I don't remember the exact stats, but I remember New York containing him fairly decently last month.

I'd also love for Gates to play tonight, but looks like I'm stuck with Pettigrew.

Question though. Pretty sure I'm going to stick with Malcom Floyd (unless there's a last minute change in his status), but would you go him, Harvin (who I don't have faith in right now plus Farve may miss another game), or Johnny Knox who is sometimes decent, sometimes not. Main reason I plan on sticking with Floyd is I want to play it safe since my opponent also has him this week (and currently in his lineup as well).

[quote name='JStryke']I think the Giants D is the safer bet. I don't remember the exact stats, but I remember New York containing him fairly decently last month.

I'd also love for Gates to play tonight, but looks like I'm stuck with Pettigrew.

Question though. Pretty sure I'm going to stick with Malcom Floyd (unless there's a last minute change in his status), but would you go him, Harvin (who I don't have faith in right now plus Farve may miss another game), or Johnny Knox who is sometimes decent, sometimes not. Main reason I plan on sticking with Floyd is I want to play it safe since my opponent also has him this week (and currently in his lineup as well).[/QUOTE]

Floyd is the safe pick for sure. Even if Favre plays they will be at an outdoor college stadium that hasn't been used in weeks (ie frozen field) and there's not reason to think Favre will be 100%. Knox is one of those guys that will put up 2 points one week and 20 points another week, it's a big gamble.

That's pretty much what I thought. Now I gotta hope my opponent doesn't log on before 8:10 or whenever as I JUST read that he'll be inactive for tonight. Guess I'll go Knox unless somebody can convince me to go Harvin instead. This is good and bad. Bad as having a throwaway slot at my weakest position was kind of nice, good as it could potentially give me a point advantage.

Edit: Didn't notice this, but apparently he also has Percy Harvin on his bench as well. Leaning Knox, but if he does start Harvin (and bench Floyd), would you start Harvin as well or just stick with Knox? His other bench option is Brandon Lloyd.

Vick
CJ
Bradshaw
McFadden
Wayne
Akers

I also have LDT on my bench but I think he sits this week.[/QUOTE]

Nicks - remember Giants have to win this week, so expect a high octane game.
Winslow - though Shiancoe is pretty close with TJ and possibly Favre out.
Neither D - again, these are must win weeks for all these teams, so don't expect routs (even though there might be some).

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']Sometimes you gotta go with your gut...

Right now my starting QB is Jason Campbell (over Big Ben, dropped Mark Sanchez). My starting flex is Jacoby Ford (over Deion Branch, Vincent Jackson and Brian Westbrook). I'm going with that unless someone talks me out of it. This is for the first round of the playoffs.[/QUOTE]

Right now you shouldn't even consider Ford and should be slapped for even typing that out. Hell, you'd do infinitely better picking up Webb to play flex over Ford. Though, I'd play it safe with Branch - Pats are the best team in the league right now, go with it.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']Floyd is the safe pick for sure. Even if Favre plays they will be at an outdoor college stadium that hasn't been used in weeks (ie frozen field) and there's not reason to think Favre will be 100%. Knox is one of those guys that will put up 2 points one week and 20 points another week, it's a big gamble.[/QUOTE]

NFL.com reports Floyd is out :( http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...-lbs-willis-spikes-active?module=HP_headlines

Bradshaw or Blount this week, anyone?

bread's done
Back