FGT XXI is finally old enough to drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Jimbo Slice']The air throw, but I have a feeling that it is because I'm not doing the right palm move. What strength of each do I need to use?[/QUOTE]

Light palm, medium backbreaker, works like a charm.

i feel like i'm awful, but i know my tag combos and how to tag safely in block strings, as well as my damage limits so even though i get my ass kicked for like 60 seconds of the round, i still win because they don't know how to tag safely.

apparently i won 75% of my games today so that's good. it's just too bad that if i use anybody but ling/juri (and in that order) that i get my ass kicked terribly.
i supposed you can say the same about sf4 if i pick anyone other than sakura.

maaaaaaaaaaan I came home last nite real tired to play games,

so I checked out and watched sum stream instead.

of SFxT.

man that game looks tite~!!!

I still wont play it tho lol.

All people do in SFxT ranked is get in footsie range aaaannnnnd...close jumpin for a cross up. Again, and again, and again. It's a hopping game with these kids.

Took me a while to get used to but a simple dash forward solves this problem.

if you're ling you can dash backward! you can cover the entire screen!
one time i won by countering with s.mp and i hit with the hand in the back. it was weird. i don't recommend it.

spreading myself out with the cast this time around, since i felt not knowing other characters hurt me in SSF4.

Sagat/Xiaoyu and Kazuya/Asuka are my go-to teams, but messing with chun as well.

[quote name='panzerfaust']All people do in SFxT ranked is get in footsie range aaaannnnnd...close jumpin for a cross up. Again, and again, and again. It's a hopping game with these kids.

Took me a while to get used to but a simple dash forward solves this problem.[/QUOTE]

It's what happens when a game doesn't give most of the cast reliable AAs.

Nice work Capcom.

Yeah nearly no one has an AA that can hit proxy jump ins, or are so risky that getting blown up really isn't worth it. Most DPs seem to trade at that level as well. Jump back fierce and neutral jump attacks to keep space seem more effective than waiting on the ground now.

Still unsure if that's actually a problem or just a different style of fighter, but it does feel silly when there's too much hopping.

if you do get an AA (like a counterhit air-to-air), you can do like 300 damage. if you have one bar you can do 400 damage.

if you play juri/ling like me and you do AA c.hp - JC.hp xx tag into ling - c.hk loop that's like 500+ damage. you know how sick that is? that means you can't jump in on juri with less than half life otherwise you lose the round.

[quote name='kainzero']why is rolento so popular? he looks kinda shitty[/QUOTE]

Folks love that his s.LP + c.LP are safe as all hell. Great pokes and link into Patriot Circle (1st hit safe). Once people stop being meter scrooges and start burning 1 bar to make Rolento eat an Alpha Counter, he'll continue to be used a whole bunch.

His NJ.LP is a ridiculously good AA even though I don't see many Rolento players use it (I've seen Crackfiend use it). Most Rolento players just jump in with j.HP outside max range and wonder why they either trade with other Air-to-Airs or get blown up for it. j.HP is great from max range (since you can straight hit confirm max range s.LP off it) but outside that, it's ass.

Other than that, he's a solid point character, builds a lot of meter even though his damage is pretty mediocre. EX Patriot Circle is NOT safe if I'm not mistaken and you'll never see him as an Anchor. His Tag Combos stink.

I played him in A2, A3 and CVS2, but am now getting lumped in with every other Rolento player out there. Dropping him for a new team if I end up taking the game seriously.

[quote name='asianxcore']His Tag Combos stink.[/QUOTE]
i still think tag combos are so godlike in this game which is why i don't think highly of rolento. (and i think people need to stop only tagging at 30-40% health... it makes it harder to do tag combos because you don't want to tag someone with low health.)

nj.lp as a good anti-air wouldn't phase me though. neither does his s.mp or whatever that is. i have 1800 life, what's 50 or 80 damage? in sf4 it means more, yeah, but in this game i'll take it.

alpha counters are interesting because there's an untechable knockdown... gotta figure out how to implement that. but it's hard to AC a jab and i've had times where they blocked after i tried to use AC as an AA.

yeah i feel the same way
i'm wondering if it's because the crossup becomes super ambiguous...

i feel like there's way too much "tier whoring" despite there being no tiers yet. so many hugos, rolentos, ryus, and rufuses.

went to a meet up last night, lost to a vega/king who did nothing but abc launcher into the knee loop -- super frustrating. i guess kazuya literally cannot anti-air vega's jumping fierce? i took a lot of losses trying to find that out. i demolish this guy in SSF4 so it was hard not to rage when losing to super obvious jump ins like a moron. he tech rolled every time too, which is why i brought up the question. i'd read it perfectly but he could still do wake up shenanigans for free (block like nothing happened, tech grabs, etc...). Either I'm missing the timing by just a bit, or tech rolling is always the best option?

my footsies were on point, at least.

[quote name='panzerfaust']So the wakeup roll, are they flatly unsafe if you make the read? Because I've always gotten mixed results.[/QUOTE]

If someone makes the read, it's pretty unsafe. Once people start doing the real OS' to the Tech Rolls, people will stop rolling. Jumping back to expect the roll or walking back to poke puts you at the guessing situation/positional disadvantage if they don't roll.

A good friend of mine talked about a way to OS the roll with one of his teams. When you OS this way, if your opponent is trying to Tech Roll, they get a walk instead (and cross themselves up)

He made a video showing this. You can see it at the 2:00 and 2:20 marks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iox2U1DkACE

[quote name='kainzero']i still think tag combos are so godlike in this game which is why i don't think highly of rolento. (and i think people need to stop only tagging at 30-40% health... it makes it harder to do tag combos because you don't want to tag someone with low health.)

nj.lp as a good anti-air wouldn't phase me though. neither does his s.mp or whatever that is. i have 1800 life, what's 50 or 80 damage? in sf4 it means more, yeah, but in this game i'll take it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed 100% on the Tag Combos, which is why I believe people play him first. That still leaves the problem of when the order is switched and you are switching into him. His damage is mediocre and best. He's got great pokes, can keep folks out, but IMO, it's the opposite of how this game should be played.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']I use Rolento because I like the character.[/QUOTE]

I know this, you ain't no scrub!

doesn't kaz have a good air-to-air? i always seem to get hit by it and then comboed on the ground.

[quote name='asianxcore']A good friend of mine talked about a way to OS the roll with one of his teams. When you OS this way, if your opponent is trying to Tech Roll, they get a walk instead (and cross themselves up)[/quote]
i don't know... i think it's pretty obvious to see when don't tech roll. could be worth playing with though, maybe this'll make ling's RD roll actually worth something.

woohoo roundhouse loops
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH4pEzgOC7Y&feature=g-u-u&context=G286ad42FUAAAAAAABAA

but what is with these players using 3 bars to do 80 extra damage? smh

[quote name='asianxcore']Agreed 100% on the Tag Combos, which is why I believe people play him first. That still leaves the problem of when the order is switched and you are switching into him. His damage is mediocre and best. He's got great pokes, can keep folks out, but IMO, it's the opposite of how this game should be played.[/QUOTE]
i'm starting to think the concept of battery+anchor is not applicable to this game. it might actually be harmful because a lot of people will take one character to 20-30% life, then tag... but their partner can't really use meter on one bar tag combos otherwise they'll have their weak partner back in. usually if i have 60-80% life i'm already looking to tag, whether it's through block string, abc launcher, or through a regular tag combo. being able to do one bar combos without worrying about retagging is significant, i think.

You gain meter so fast in this game that I don't even worry about how much meter I have half the time. By the time I want to do a tag cancel or super, I already have the meter for it! Helps even more when I equip my character with meter building gems or ones that make meter-usage cost less.

next time I have a few hours to play I think I'm going to try and develop some skill with other characters. put some more time into Heihachi and I'd like to learn Marduk.

I literally dont know when that will be, though. Not to sound like a broken record, but I just upped my hours at school (got my own room now, after losing my full-time gig in July! :booty:)

At least I'm making money though... Car will be paid off April 7th (my 12th payment).

[quote name='kainzero']i'm starting to think the concept of battery+anchor is not applicable to this game. it might actually be harmful because a lot of people will take one character to 20-30% life, then tag... but their partner can't really use meter on one bar tag combos otherwise they'll have their weak partner back in. usually if i have 60-80% life i'm already looking to tag, whether it's through block string, abc launcher, or through a regular tag combo. being able to do one bar combos without worrying about retagging is significant, i think.[/QUOTE]

I could see that.

Then again there are characters in the game that are great at building meter but terrible with it and characters that are quite the opposite.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']
I literally dont know when that will be, though. Not to sound like a broken record, but I just upped my hours at school (got my own room now, after losing my full-time gig in July! :booty:)

At least I'm making money though... Car will be paid off April 7th (my 12th payment).[/QUOTE]

Respect.

the more i think about it, the more i'm just biased towards my team in sfxt and i'm saying sfxt is only legit because my team is good. i wouldn't be surprised if both ling and juri are high tier.

i was trying sagat but i don't see how he can do any damage except with double f.hk - uppercut tag which is difficult to get, and he doesn't have tag safe block strings. i think uppercut tag cancel is unsafe.

EDIT: apparently mago switched to rufus/juri, and tokido to ken/juri. lol. everyone on japanese bbs bitching about how easy she is to use compared to sf4.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kainzero']i wouldn't be surprised if both ling and juri are high tier.
[/QUOTE]

I know most of the folks I've talked to are all in agreement that Juri is High Tier. I barely even have touched the game and from what I've seen, she looks to be.

A friend of mine who has a team with her on it says Health is the only thing holding her back slightly. Then again Capcom loves the low health/great mixups combination.

the characters being thrown around as top tier on japanese messageboards:
rufus/ryu/ken/juri

sometimes you get some chun in there

ryu/ken because of shoryuken tag and tatsu tag (i really think this is overrated)
rufus because of dive kick shenanigans and damage
juri because she's dirty. lol.

some people think those are A tier and everyone else is B tier
some people they're rufus is SSS, ryu/ken SS, and juri S.

i still think it's too early but just wanted to drop the info

I had a dream I got to meet Markman. And you know what happened? That $$$$a ate all of my pork and bailed on me. :bomb:

True story.

[quote name='distgfx']Juri is that good? I haven't really messed around with her.[/QUOTE]

Tee hee hee.

I decided I'll try to review SFxT, and it'd be my first fighter to write about so it's a bit intimidating. I'm no expert, nor can anyone expect one to be, but I generally feel very positive about the game. Although, I feel it's biggest issue is the barrier to entry for newcomers, and how it even lends some frustrations to experienced players as well. The trials and tutorials are lazy, there's little input from the developer in how the game should be played, general strategy, even basic combos are all left to a fortunately passionate community to work out. And that's a lot of the fun in new games, but I don't know, the gems and new elements to the game, as well as how neither side of the cast is explained or introduced, just seems rushed. All these infinites being immediately discovered add more to the mystery of it all. You just kinda go at it.

Which wouldn't be so bad if the online worked properly =p

Will probably have a review up later tonight.

[quote name='heavyd853']SFxT is kinda boring to me I dunno, give me marvel all day!
[/QUOTE]

I feel a bit the same... not bored of UMvC3 but SFxT is taking a while to gel with me... then again UMvC3 did as well.

i don't like gems because it takes too long to configure and i don't want to read about them.

EDIT: oh man. just found out that ling's alpha counter - tag cancel leads to a full combo. sick! (but she can't pick up anybody if she doesn't tag cancel. weirdness.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back