Fourth Annual CAG NCAA March Madness Tourney Contest (Winning Scenarios in post 439!)

[quote name='iPod Wizard']C'mon Duke! I have you in the Sweet Sixteen, then losing to Xavier. = ][/quote]

Yes, c'mon Duke, beat that worthless bastard Bob Huggins then take your beating at the hands of Xavier in the next round.

[quote name='iPod Wizard']Alright. Beasley better not be Lebron facing Wisconsin. = /[/quote]

I had kstate winning one then losing, so things are going according to plan in that particular part of my bracket so far...my philosophy was that beasley wasn't gonna let himself get eliminated in the first round (OJ mayo IMO is not as "ME ME" as beasley...it would look bad if beasley didn't win a NCAA game before leaving), but once he won, they were going to bow out to wisconsin..just my opinion

[quote name='swetooth9']I had kstate winning one then losing, so things are going according to plan in that particular part of my bracket so far...my philosophy was that beasley wasn't gonna let himself get eliminated in the first round (OJ mayo IMO is not as "ME ME" as beasley...it would look bad if beasley didn't win a NCAA game before leaving), but once he won, they were going to bow out to wisconsin..just my opinion[/quote]

Yep. He'll be a great NBA nevertheless. Don't know about Mayo though. He'll be an ok point guard perhaps.

Go Stanford and Xavier!

[quote name='Cow_tipper']Why do you think the Big East was hyped up way too much? Unless I'm mistaken, they've only lost 1 game so far, and that was a hell of a close game. They've won 5 other games without too much difficulty. 5-1 is pretty damn good, and assuming that Louisville wins and Villanova loses, 6-2 is pretty good too. Most other conferences don't even have 6 teams good enough to make the tournament, let alone make the tournament and advance a round or two.

I've already missed 7 games in the first round, which sucks, but I only had one of those teams winning any more games, so I'm still in reasonable position.[/quote]

Ugh. Gottta tip my cap to West Virginia. I was totally wrong on this one. I thought Duke would take all the criticism and play a great game but no go. They couldn't buy a basket in the second half.

I guess overhype was probably the wrong term to use. I have respect for the big east and think it is deepest of all the leagues, as obviously 8 ncaa tourney bids attests to, but I just hate all the focus it's been getting everywhere. The mid majors were getting completely ignored until Friday night when they tore it up in Tampa. I thought the real travesty was Butler getting a 7 seed and being ranked #11 in the country...

Gonzaga had a similar situation a few years ago where they finished ranked #5 and got a 5 seed...and were beaten in round 1 by Wyoming. But Tennessee is getting the shaft in this one. They're playing a very, very, good Butler team that is highly underrated.

I think the upper echelon of the big east isn't as good as the top teams of other leagues... I admit I am bias against the big east because I'm surrounded by obnoxious big east fans. And there's something about both Big East and Big 10 basketball I hate...the deliberate half court sets and the plodding pace of the games/pure physical nature with lack of skilled shooting.

But I have to tip my cap to the Big East..7-1 in first round (probably would've been 8-0 if AJ price doesn't go down). And 1-0 so far to start round 2...I expect Louisville and Marquette to join West Virginia, but I think georgetown, notre dame, and villanova, will all go down. The pitt game is a toss up and should be interesting to see how Michigan state plays. They are such a schizophrenic team, just like Louisville, and so wildly inconsistent. If Neitzel has a good shooting game, I think Pitt also will be hard pressed to get out of round 2.

I guess in the end, I'm just very pessimistic this year. It seems like a lot of teams are underrated and it just seems the overall quality of the top tier teams has dipped. This year, north carolina is the #1 overall team in the tourney,with no argument from me, but I think in a good year of talent in college basketball, they'd be more of a low two seed/high 3 seed talent wise. I miss the vintage uconn, duke, unc, kansas teams that were loaded with talent. I mean georgetown without Jeff Greene is a two seed...and imho they are nowhere near as good a team as last year because of that sole fact.

I guess I'm glad to see day 2 deliver all those upsets and will be pulling for the madness to continue as we go deeper and deeper into the tournament.

[quote name='iPod Wizard']C'mon Lopez!

Edit: Lmfao! Brook Lopez with the jumper! Stanford wins![/QUOTE]

I'm not even in the CAG bracket, but I just wanted to say that shot shattered my soul lol. I needed that Marquette upset to put my bracket back in the game, but now I'm on shaky ground. Oh well...

[quote name='darkcecil32'] I miss the vintage uconn, duke, unc, kansas teams that were loaded with talent. [/quote]

i mean, i loved it when UNC was loaded like the '05 chapmionship team too, but I like it more when there is no clear-cut best team (talent-wise), so that execution and poise are bigger factors in winning

i'd rather watch lots of very good teams duke it out than one ultra-dominant team go all the way...just me though

P.S. I

I hope Butler gets the upset over Tennessee, albeit it is not really an upset. Butler 11th or so in the nation and Tennessee as one of the most overrated teams in the nation (saw them too many times this year since i go to school in the SEC). Butler takes out Tennessee and Louisville! Please...lol

[quote name='swetooth9']i mean, i loved it when UNC was loaded like the '05 chapmionship team too, but I like it more when there is no clear-cut best team (talent-wise), so that execution and poise are bigger factors in winning

i'd rather watch lots of very good teams duke it out than one ultra-dominant team go all the way...just me though

P.S. I

Ugh, darn Kansas State. I guess riding on Beasley to the Elite Eight was a bad idea, but not as worse as my Baylor pick. x_x And UConn yesterday.. that injury killed one team in my final four. It's okay, just need every other Final Four team in my bracket to make it and I still have a chance. =x

[quote name='shinryuu']Ugh, darn Kansas State. I guess riding on Beasley to the Elite Eight was a bad idea, but not as worse as my Baylor pick. x_x And UConn yesterday.. that injury killed one team in my final four. It's okay, just need every other Final Four team in my bracket to make it and I still have a chance. =x[/quote]

I had K-State as a Sweet 16 team. I only got 2 picks right today, Xavier and Kansas. Every other pick went against me.

I'm pretty well fucked, but thanks to Yahoo's Scenario Generator I still have a reason to hope: if every single thing goes my way from here on out I can still end up tied for second.

I'm a big ACC fan, so (against my better judgement but with hopes for a classic game) I picked Duke vs UNC for the championship game. And, of course, Duke choked big time just like every year recently. That's ok, I still love you Devils.

[quote name='iPod Wizard']UCLA wins with a SLAM![/quote]

Not that it matters in the final outcome but did they count that final bucket or wave it off? I thought the buzzer sounded b/f the slam...

The only three picks I got right were UCLA, Kansas, and Xavier. Pitt was one of my "surprise" teams I had going a long way.

Both my Irish and Wildcats got whipped today and my bracket just fell apart:cry:

I'm still in it as well. Hopefully my picks can win the majority of games tomorrow as most of my picks won there games yesterday.

[quote name='Chitown021']Not that it matters in the final outcome but did they count that final bucket or wave it off? I thought the buzzer sounded b/f the slam...

The only three picks I got right were UCLA, Kansas, and Xavier. Pitt was one of my "surprise" teams I had going a long way.

Both my Irish and Wildcats got whipped today and my bracket just fell apart:cry:[/quote]

The basket counted. = ]

Irish and Panthers sucked today for me. = [

30/40. Pretty much out of this. = [

How about call a foul with 5 seconds left?

Sloan (#15) got thrown down. Kevin Love gets wrist more then he gets ball, but they won't call shit on that fatass.

It's a rip-off too, because it was a fucking home game for UCLA.

...meh. Ucla survives. Without Afflalo and Farmar, I don't think they'll be able to win it all. I hope they get knocked out in the next round by Western Kentucky/San Diego winner.

[quote name='darkcecil32']...meh. Ucla survives. Without Afflalo and Farmar, I don't think they'll be able to win it all. I hope they get knocked out in the next round by Western Kentucky/San Diego winner.[/quote]

highly doubt that, but hey, i didnt expect two 12 vs 13 matchups either...

Thank god Duke lost. My bracket is in shambles but Duke's misery helps out a bit. Glad UCLA hung on.

edit: Thanks Notre Dame for not helping my bracket and sucking it up tonight.

[quote name='swetooth9']highly doubt that, but hey, i didnt expect two 12 vs 13 matchups either...[/quote]

I'm not expecting it, necessarily, just hoping for it :D. But the way anyone not named Collison/Love shot the ball tonight...horrendous. Texas A and M isn't exactly an offensive juggernaut...if they had been able to hit one or two more shots, Ucla probably would have lost this game.

To Ucla's credit, they did play excellent defense in the second half, though. Love and Mbah a Mute were beastly on the inside, swatting back seemingly every shot that A and M took inside. Not a big Ben Howland fan, but he made some great defensive adjustments at the half. Only reason Ucla survived, because their offense certainly didn't get it done.

[quote name='iPod Wizard']The basket counted. = ]
[/quote]
2001060484836281766_rs.jpg

The basket counted?

[quote name='HighlightShow']
2001060484836281766_rs.jpg

The basket counted?[/quote]

He had to dunk it. If he tried a short jumper, he could have sent it to overtime but thank god he didn't. I had UCLA in the final 4.

[quote name='SpitFire158']He had to dunk it. If he tried a short jumper, he could have sent it to overtime but thank god he didn't. I had UCLA in the final 4.[/quote]
What are you talking about? They were already up by 2. He didn't have to do anything.

[quote name='HighlightShow']What are you talking about? They were already up by 2. He didn't have to do anything.[/quote]

Oh ya. Thought that A&M were the ones in white for a sec. Don't know why.

[quote name='HighlightShow']

The basket counted?[/quote]

they shouldn't have counted it like they shouldn't have counted the over-the-backboard shot...they're just on UCLA's nuts now, aren't they?

bread's done
Back