Frys.com: PS Vita $199.99

[quote name='Namerson']Having the ability to save your progress in user created levels is a extremely big change to the formula.[/QUOTE]

If you couldn't tell his opinion was a little biased. He suffers from the "I can't afford one/I don't have one" syndrome

[quote name='Meno']
83 Lumines: Electronic Symphony (Glorified iOS/Android game.)[/QUOTE]

Someone hasn't done their homework.

[quote name='GBAstar']^ Can you please take the time to do the same as it pertains to the 3DS and its lineup seven months after launch?

I mean everyone is so quick to compare pricepoints but I think you'd be shocked if you looked at what was available 7 months after launch on both consoles. Of course you'd have to take your blinders off...

Hell if I didn't have ambassador status I wouldn't have put an hour into my 3DS (I bought it at launch) until Super Mario 3D Land came out.

It's okay to hate on Sony but at least have a solid argument[/QUOTE]

1. The Vita’s been on the market for 10 months.

2. Rationally critiquing a system isn’t hateful. You’re being defensive and hyperbolic.

3. The quality of 3DS’ library has no bearing on the quality of the Vita’s library. Further, it’s rational to conclude that both systems have/had poor lineups during their first year on the market. At that point the question is: Will the Vita’s lineup continue to be poor after the first year? And based on how thin the Vita’s announced 2013 lineup is, Sony themselves publicly admitting that they’re having a difficult time securing third-party support for the Vita, and how few Vita games have been announced since the system launched, the forecast looks poor.

[quote name='GBAstar']If you couldn't tell his opinion was a little biased. He suffers from the "I can't afford one/I don't have one" syndrome[/QUOTE]

You're resorting to ad hom insults? Are you that much of a demented fanboy?

[quote name='Meno']1. The Vita’s been on the market for 10 months.

2. Rationally critiquing a system isn’t hateful. You’re being defensive and hyperbolic.

3. The quality of 3DS’ library has no bearing on the quality of the Vita’s library. Further, it’s rational to conclude that both systems have/had poor lineups during their first year on the market. At that point the question is: Will the Vita’s lineup continue to be poor after the first year? And based on how thin the Vita’s announced 2013 lineup is, Sony themselves publicly admitting that they’re having a difficult time securing third-party support for the Vita, and how few Vita games have been announced since the system launched, the forecast looks poor.[/QUOTE]

The vita has been out on the market for 10 months? Really.... could you please enlighten me and post the U.S. launch date? I didn't realize it launched in 2011 :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

I own a 3DS, 3DS XL and a 3G Vita. I would think my opinion is pretty subjective. I have put 100x the usage in on the Vita in its first SEVEN months then I did with the 3DS in the same time frame. I'm sorry but pilot wings, steel diver, nintendogs, and whatever else was put out prior to LOZ: OOT and Super Mario 3D Land is three or four steps below what has been released for the Vita to date.

There is a reason why nintendo dropped the price on the original 3DS---they knew once Sony released their $250 price point (the same as the original 3DS) that people wouldn't be fooled (even Nintendo fans) into paying the same for a lesser product as far as specs go.

Admittingly nothing will compare to first party portable nintendo titles; they have that market cornered. However my 3DS is good for one thing only and that is playing that handful of titles. My Vita's screen is much more beautiful and responsive for apps like Netfix and and Youtube and although the browser still leaves a lot to be desired it is infinitely better then that of the 3DS.

[quote name='Meno']You're resorting to ad hom insults? Are you that much of a demented fanboy?[/QUOTE]

What is insulting is that you're trying to put out "meaningful" criticism to Vita games that from your remarks I can only assume you've never played and to make it worse you're arguing with me about when the system was launched.

But just so we're clear it came out 10 months ago... right? right?

The Vita has been out for only 7 months in the U.S. and 9 months in Japan. If you're going on the Japanese release date you might as well include every Japanese game that has come out in your posts as well since they aren't region locked.

[quote name='Meno']This is the general argument for why the Vita is poor system. Here are all the Vita games with an 80 or higher MetaCritic average:

88 Rayman Origins (Inferior console port.)

88 LittleBigPlanet (Milked. Forth LBP in four years with no significant changes to the franchise's formula.)

86 Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack (Budget download game.)

85 Mortal Kombat (Inferior console port.)

84 Sound Shapes (Budget download game.)

84 Gravity Rush

83 Lumines: Electronic Symphony (Glorified iOS/Android game.)

83 BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend (Inferior console port.)

82 Super Stardust Delta (Budget download game.)

81 Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (Inferior console port.)

80 Uncharted: Golden Abyss (B-team Uncharted.)

80 Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (Inferior console port.)

It's arguably a very thin lineup filled with inferior console ports, budget download games, and little else.

Worse yet, it's 2013 lineup is extremely thin, and there are continuous reports (including from Sony themselves), that Sony is having a difficult time securing third party support for the Vita. The present is bleak and the future looks even bleaker.[/QUOTE]

Hahah, oh man, I thought you were being sarcastic like "This is what people say about these games but they're idiots," but nope, you were for real. Hahahah.

[quote name='GBAstar']The vita has been out on the market for 10 months? Really.... could you please enlighten me and post the U.S. launch date? I didn't realize it launched in 2011 :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

I own a 3DS, 3DS XL and a 3G Vita. I would think my opinion is pretty subjective. I have put 100x the usage in on the Vita in its first SEVEN months then I did with the 3DS in the same time frame. I'm sorry but pilot wings, steel diver, nintendogs, and whatever else was put out prior to LOZ: OOT and Super Mario 3D Land is three or four steps below what has been released for the Vita to date.

There is a reason why nintendo dropped the price on the original 3DS---they knew once Sony released their $250 price point (the same as the original 3DS) that people wouldn't be fooled (even Nintendo fans) into paying the same for a lesser product as far as specs go.

Admittingly nothing will compare to first party portable nintendo titles; they have that market cornered. However my 3DS is good for one thing only and that is playing that handful of titles. My Vita's screen is much more beautiful and responsive for apps like Netfix and and Youtube and although the browser still leaves a lot to be desired it is infinitely better then that of the 3DS.[/QUOTE]

The funny thing is, before the launch and the 3DS price drop, everyone was stoked about the Vita's price point and were completely shocked that it was only $250. Then Nintendo did their desperation move and, all of a sudden, the Vita is way too expensive.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']The funny thing is, before the launch and the 3DS price drop, everyone was stoked about the Vita's price point and were completely shocked that it was only $250. Then Nintendo did their desperation move and, all of a sudden, the Vita is way too expensive.[/QUOTE]

This, I remember live-streaming Sony's E3 Press Conference when they officially unveiled the Vita and when they announced the price it got a huge applause from the audience.

[quote name='Namerson']This, I remember live-streaming Sony's E3 Press Conference when they officially unveiled the Vita and when they announced the price it got a huge applause from the audience.[/QUOTE]

Then the audience gave the oh no sigh when they heard AT&T was the 3G carrier.

The Vita is a fantastic as a gaming handheld. I don't need the background of my games to be blurred out to give a 3d effect. All my Nintendo handheld gaming is good with my DSi XL.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gettinmoney662']Hahah, oh man, I thought you were being sarcastic like "This is what people say about these games but they're idiots," but nope, you were for real. Hahahah.

The funny thing is, before the launch and the 3DS price drop, everyone was stoked about the Vita's price point and were completely shocked that it was only $250. Then Nintendo did their desperation move and, all of a sudden, the Vita is way too expensive.[/QUOTE]

Was about to post this same exact thing. Everyone and their grandmother was shocked at that price point for the technology it offered, fast forward a year later now all of sudden its too expensive :roll:

And what is this bullshit about a thin 2013 line up? I guess people love to talk out of their ass and ignore various projects announced at Gamescom, TGS etc

Wow my last comment was completely ignored. The Vita is awesome! If you're on the fence don't be! It's comfortable, has great games, and has beautiful graphics.
It's the only thing that has gotten me through about 20 5 hour flights in the past 6 months.
I cannot recommend it enough. As for the 3DS I've played one plenty of times and the quality of the devices cannot even be compared (the XL games look grainy as hell). Plus I'm waiting for the inevitable 3DS XL Lite. (just for Castlevania since i already beat Resident Evil)
Get a WIFI Vita and fucking enjoy it. Be cheap and buy a case with a 4gig card like I did. If I need space I delete one game. Don't bash the Vita for its games when it has plenty of badass ones already.

[quote name='Nochance']LOL, hokay guy.[/QUOTE]

Whatever they decide to call it there will be another revision... and then another... and once they decide to drop the 3D they'll do another with HD graphics

[quote name='GBAstar']Whatever they decide to call it there will be another revision... and then another... and once they decide to drop the 3D they'll do another with HD graphics[/QUOTE]

There is no basis for believing they will make anything remotely similar to an "XL lite". The idea of it doesn't even make sense.

There very well may be a revision, but it won't be for at least a year and a half. The 3DS XL is the fastest they have ever come out with a handheld revision by far. There is simply no precedent for believing that they plan to make another XL. If anything I hope they make a small one that isn't so awkwardly designed, because the XL is pretty comfortable but not really a portable.

And HD graphics? I think you mean a new handheld, not a revision.

[quote name='Namerson']This, I remember live-streaming Sony's E3 Press Conference when they officially unveiled the Vita and when they announced the price it got a huge applause from the audience.[/QUOTE]

"At that time" the Vita pricepoint was announced (over a year ago) it was a good price, flashforward 9 months and it is too expensive because technology got better and prices got lower, and the Vita stayed at the same price.

These days when new technology devices are announced they are available to buy within 90 days, but so much can happen in 6-9 months and companies need to compensate for that length of time.

A similar thing happened with the PS 3D display. "At that time" $500 seemed to be a good value for a 24" 3D display, but by the time it launched in November, prices of other 3DTVs dropped to the extent where it seems to now be too expensive, and Sony has been adjusting the price ever since to compensate.

Sony probably should take a que from Nintendo and not announce the price until they are within 90 days of shipping the product from now on...

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']"At that time" the Vita pricepoint was announced (over a year ago) it was a good price, flashforward 9 months and it is too expensive because technology got better and prices got lower, and the Vita stayed at the same price.

These days when new technology devices are announced they are available to buy within 90 days, but so much can happen in 6-9 months and companies need to compensate for that length of time.

A similar thing happened with the PS 3D display. "At that time" $500 seemed to be a good value for a 24" 3D display, but by the time it launched in November, prices of other 3DTVs dropped to the extent where it seems to now be too expensive, and Sony has been adjusting the price ever since to compensate.

Sony probably should take a que from Nintendo and not announce the price until they are within 90 days of shipping the product from now on...[/QUOTE]

Please provide examples of tecnology recently released which makes the Vita not a value at $250.

The $170 3DS? the $200 3DS XL? You're going to have to do better then that because the Vita is $50-$80 more advanced then both those machines.

The only thing I can think of are the $199 AZ/Google tablets. But if you are content gaming on a tablet then the Vita isn't for you.

If Sony had intergrated an Android OS into the Vita I would have paid $300+ for it no questions asked.

But even if you're using it just to play games/media then it you are an an idiot if you are calling for a price drop on the Vita but are content with the 3DS price points.

[quote name='Nochance']There is no basis for believing they will make anything remotely similar to an "XL lite". The idea of it doesn't even make sense.

There very well may be a revision, but it won't be for at least a year and a half. The 3DS XL is the fastest they have ever come out with a handheld revision by far. There is simply no precedent for believing that they plan to make another XL. If anything I hope they make a small one that isn't so awkwardly designed, because the XL is pretty comfortable but not really a portable.

And HD graphics? I think you mean a new handheld, not a revision.[/QUOTE]

You don't consider the 3DS to be a revision from the original DS? I have a hard time classifying it as a completely new console.

Nintendo hasn't done anything new since the DS except change dimensions and add 3D. To be honest I'm surprised the original DS consoles can't read the 3DS games (minus the 3D).

There will be something new within the next year and a half (even if it is just an announcement).. hopefully with two analog sticks this time.

[quote name='GBAstar']You don't consider the 3DS to be a revision from the original DS? I have a hard time classifying it as a completely new console.

Nintendo hasn't done anything new since the DS except change dimensions and add 3D. To be honest I'm surprised the original DS consoles can't read the 3DS games (minus the 3D).

There will be something new within the next year and a half (even if it is just an announcement).. hopefully with two analog sticks this time.[/QUOTE]

Haha, it should have been obvious you were kind of slow. 3DS is pretty clearly much more powerful than the DS. Anyone who has done much gaming could see that.

And hey, they could announce something, i'm just saying there is literally no basis for believing it. Like I said, the 3DS XL is the fastest they have ever put out a revision after launch. What exactly do you think they will do for another? They absolutely will not be adding a 2nd analogue stick. That much should be obvious to anyone paying attention.

I'm not sure if it's the lack of sleep but for someone who's calling someone else slow you don't really refute his/her points that well.

[quote name='iduncurr']I'm not sure if it's the lack of sleep but for someone who's calling someone else slow you don't really refute his/her points that well.[/QUOTE]

What should I say? Its borderline retarded to claim that the 3DS is barely an upgrade from DS. It's obviously not as powerful as Vita but for me personally, that doesn't make it unplayable.

I know i'm in the minority, but i'm more concerned with gameplay than power.

Honestly, it wasn't obvious he was a desperate troll until the 2nd comment. I thought I was just talking to an ill informed gamer.

I just look at the sales, and I am not so sure about the future of this system.

Plus, when I already have a 3DS XL and Nexus 7, not sure why I need yet another portable.

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']"At that time" the Vita pricepoint was announced (over a year ago) it was a good price, flashforward 9 months and it is too expensive because technology got better and prices got lower, and the Vita stayed at the same price. [/QUOTE]

lolwut

[quote name='GBAstar']Please provide examples of tecnology recently released which makes the Vita not a value at $250.

The $170 3DS? the $200 3DS XL? You're going to have to do better then that because the Vita is $50-$80 more advanced then both those machines.

The only thing I can think of are the $199 AZ/Google tablets. But if you are content gaming on a tablet then the Vita isn't for you.

If Sony had intergrated an Android OS into the Vita I would have paid $300+ for it no questions asked.

But even if you're using it just to play games/media then it you are an an idiot if you are calling for a price drop on the Vita but are content with the 3DS price points.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I was thinking the Nexus 7, with its quad-core processor and large screen makes it seem like a better value IMO. I know a tablet isn't for serious gaming, but the portable marking is skewing heavily toward casual gaming these days. I don't see the Nintendo DS as Vita's main competition. I view any iOS and Android smartphone as the Vita's main competition. Since so many people have smartphones these days, I believe that the gaming these devices provide is more than sufficient for some people, they don't need a dedicated gaming device.

I do believe the Vita is worth $250, but in this market it isn't going to sell very well with all these other alternatives out there at cheaper prices.

Given that it is estimated that it cost Sony only $160 to manufacture a Vita, I think they can definitely afford to lower the price by $50 to make it more competitive. Given that Sony didn't lower the price of the superslim PS3, suggests to me that Sony is trying to maximize their profits for the rest of the fiscal year, by not doing any official price cuts on the PS3 or Vita...

[quote name='GBAstar']You don't consider the 3DS to be a revision from the original DS? I have a hard time classifying it as a completely new console.

There will be something new within the next year and a half (even if it is just an announcement).. hopefully with two analog sticks this time.[/QUOTE]

I think I read that the original DS produced games in the same class as the N64.

The 3DS's processing ability is able to make games around the quality of the GameCube and Wii.

[quote name='Meno']This is the general argument for why the Vita is poor system. Here are all the Vita games with an 80 or higher MetaCritic average:

88 LittleBigPlanet (Milked. Forth LBP in four years with no significant changes to the franchise's formula.)

84 Gravity Rush

It's arguably a very thin lineup filled with inferior console ports, budget download games, and little else.

Worse yet, it's 2013 lineup is extremely thin, and there are continuous reports (including from Sony themselves), that Sony is having a difficult time securing third party support for the Vita. The present is bleak and the future looks even bleaker.[/QUOTE]

You can't be serious, can you? Let's look at the Metacritic ratings of 3ds games over 80 in its first seven months:

94- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (console port)

85- Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition ("inferior console port")

82- Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure ("inferior console port")

81- Starfox 64 3D (console port)

80- Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Surviver Overclocked (ds port)

Yep. You read that right. There were five whole games that scored over 80 compared to the Vita's 12 in the same amount of time. And they were all ports in some way. Even if you extend that time range to now, the 3ds only has 16 games of a score 80+. That's over a 19-month period. I love my 3ds and Vita, but you can't be that deluded to think the 3ds had a deluge of quality titles.

Now I do agree with the fact that Sony needs to cut the prices somewhere. A price cut on the system looks rather slim. It may cost $170 to MAKE, but that doesn't factor in shipping and R&D costs they have to make back as well. The memory cards would be their best bet. They may make less, but it could be offset by having more buyers. Either that or more bundles like AC3:L.

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']Exactly what I was thinking the Nexus 7, with its quad-core processor and large screen makes it seem like a better value IMO. I know a tablet isn't for serious gaming, but the portable marking is skewing heavily toward casual gaming these days. I don't see the Nintendo DS as Vita's main competition. I view any iOS and Android smartphone as the Vita's main competition. Since so many people have smartphones these days, I believe that the gaming these devices provide is more than sufficient for some people, they don't need a dedicated gaming device.

I do believe the Vita is worth $250, but in this market it isn't going to sell very well with all these other alternatives out there at cheaper prices.

Given that it is estimated that it cost Sony only $160 to manufacture a Vita, I think they can definitely afford to lower the price by $50 to make it more competitive. Given that Sony didn't lower the price of the superslim PS3, suggests to me that Sony is trying to maximize their profits for the rest of the fiscal year, by not doing any official price cuts on the PS3 or Vita...[/QUOTE]

Yes, because manufacturing costs are the only costs, right?

Furthermore, anyone who can get his gaming needs satisfied by bullshit mobile games wouldn't be interested in a dedicated handheld console anyways so they are not part of the potential market.

I think more than anything the 3DS 3D is a complete gimmick.
Watch Shadows of the Colossus, Resistance 3, or hell Mortal Kombat in active 3d at 240hz and you will see REAL 3D.
The current device is not worth 200, the Vita is EASILY worth 250.

[quote name='leichstein']You can't be serious, can you? Let's look at the Metacritic ratings of 3ds games over 80 in its first seven months [...][/QUOTE]

As I said to GBAstar when he attempted to make this same non-sequitur argument:

The quality of 3DS’ library has no bearing on the quality of the Vita’s library. Further, it’s rational to conclude that both systems have/had poor lineups during their first year on the market. At that point the question is: Will the Vita’s lineup continue to be poor after the first year? And based on how thin the Vita’s announced 2013 lineup is, Sony themselves publicly admitting that they’re having a difficult time securing third-party support for the Vita, and how few Vita games have been announced since the system launched, the forecast looks poor.

And even that doesn't capture how dire the situation is for Vita. The Vita also has very poor global sales, it's facing strong competition from cellphones and tablets, and Sony has said that most Vita owners also own PS3s, which greatly reduces the incentive for publishers to port their multiplatform games to the Vita.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Yes, because manufacturing costs are the only costs, right?

Furthermore, anyone who can get his gaming needs satisfied by bullshit mobile games wouldn't be interested in a dedicated handheld console anyways so they are not part of the potential market.[/QUOTE]

Of course they aren't the only costs, but it certainly takes away the impression that Sony is taking a loss on each unit.

The fact remains that mobile gaming from smartphones is effecting the handheld market to some degree, with so many of them around and cheap games to buy. If it didn't the Vita would likely be selling a lot better than it has, and have more support from third party developers.

I do believe that the Vita will be Sony's last portable gaming system...

[quote name='ZincAlloy']The current device is not worth 200, the Vita is EASILY worth 250.[/QUOTE]

The general gaming population strongly disagrees with you and have almost entirely ignored the Vita as a result. I'd be curious to see what percentage of current Vita owners are heavily into JRGPS and anime. I bet a very large percentage. If so, that would mean outside of the otaku demographic, the Vita is a complete failure.

[quote name='etcrane']Something tells me this will be a standard price come Black Friday, but they'll be throwing a game and/or memory card in too ...

Spidey sense says hold strong and wait ... we're only 2 months away[/QUOTE]

Wait on Peter Parker.. I'll buy one once its $49.99

There is nothing inferior about the fighting games on the Vita especially Mortal Kombat which is the best version out says competitive tourney players. It has balance changes, better online than the console versions, new challenge tower missions and mini games. The most important thing is MK is still 60 fps just like the console versions. The only thing one can say is inferior is the visuals.

UMvC3 has hitbox viewing in replay mode which console versions doesn't have.
Blazblue is a good port and has everything the console version does. As far as I'm concerned if I had a vita those 3 games would be good for practice on the go, especially for pad players.

[quote name='Thatdude8']There is nothing inferior about the fighting games on the Vita especially Mortal Kombat which is the best version out says competitive tourney players. It has balance changes, better online than the console versions, new challenge tower missions and mini games. The most important thing is MK is still 60 fps just like the console versions. The only thing one can say is inferior is the visuals.

UMvC3 has hitbox viewing in replay mode which console versions doesn't have.
Blazblue is a good port and has everything the console version does. As far as I'm concerned if I had a vita those 3 games would be good for practice on the go, especially for pad players.[/QUOTE]

Wait, the Vita version is used for tournaments now? I find that extremely hard to believe.

[quote name='Nochance']Wait, the Vita version is used for tournaments now? I find that extremely hard to believe.[/QUOTE]

Where in his post does he say that?

[quote name='Meno']As I said to GBAstar when he attempted to make this same non-sequitur argument:

The quality of 3DS’ library has no bearing on the quality of the Vita’s library. Further, it’s rational to conclude that both systems have/had poor lineups during their first year on the market. At that point the question is: Will the Vita’s lineup continue to be poor after the first year? And based on how thin the Vita’s announced 2013 lineup is, Sony themselves publicly admitting that they’re having a difficult time securing third-party support for the Vita, and how few Vita games have been announced since the system launched, the forecast looks poor.

And even that doesn't capture how dire the situation is for Vita. The Vita also has very poor global sales, it's facing strong competition from cellphones and tablets, and Sony has said that most Vita owners also own PS3s, which greatly reduces the incentive for publishers to port their multiplatform games to the Vita.[/QUOTE]

You offer up a lot of conjecture, but nothing solid. I never said that the quality of one's library has any affect on the other. My point was to counter your assertion that the reason the Vita isn't selling like the 3DS is because the lineup is poor. The 3DS's lineup is just as, if not, worse than the Vita's. But the poor lineup hasn't affected the 3DS's sales, has it? No, and that's because it's cheaper. I bought my 3DS in April primarily because it was cheaper than the Vita. I'm sure many others made that same choice as well. What the Vita needs isn't necessarily more games, but a price cut. The 3DS was selling just as poorly before the price cut. After the cut, sales went through the roof despite a rather poor lineup. I'm sure if Sony did a price cut on the Vita, it would skyrocket as well. The software is right, but the price is not. That is my point.

As for the demographics, as someone said before, a person who is satisfied with what is offered on a tablet/phone is probably not apart of Sony's main demographic: core gamers. Nintendo has always skewed more casual and as a result gains more sales. And it's common knowledge that the casual market is much larger than the core market. Popularity always equals more sales no matter what. That's why iOS and Android games are so popular. Sony, meanwhile, caters to core gamers, people who will continue to support the system by buying more than Nintendogs.

[quote name='Nochance']Wait, the Vita version is used for tournaments now? I find that extremely hard to believe.[/QUOTE]
No it is not used in tournaments, but competitive players want NRS to do another patch for the console versions to at least have the fixes that are in the vita version, but doesn't look like it will happen.

[quote name='leichstein']You offer up a lot of conjecture, but nothing solid. I never said that the quality of one's library has any affect on the other.[/quote]

Only conjecture? MetaCritic averages, announced upcoming game lineups, global sales, and statements from Sony themselves aren't hard evidence? Are you kidding me?

My point was to counter your assertion that the reason the Vita isn't selling like the 3DS is because the lineup is poor.

I haven't addressed the issue of why the Vita is selling poorly in any of my posts. None. You're arguing against a strawman.

I've been explicitly analyzing the quality of the Vita's current and upcoming games lineup; not what will increase Vita sales. Are your reading comprehension skills really this poor?

84 Gravity Rush

What's your opinion of Gravity Rush?

[quote name='gettinmoney662']What part of his posts suggest anger?[/QUOTE]

i. don't. really. know. maybe. talking. like.this. who. knows.

[quote name='Meno']I've been explicitly analyzing the quality of the Vita's current and upcoming games lineup; not what will increase Vita sales. Are your reading comprehension skills really this poor?[/QUOTE]

Explicitly analyzing the quality of the Vita's current games lineup? You called Lumines a glorified iOs game.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Explicitly analyzing the quality of the Vita's current games lineup? You called Lumines a glorified iOs game.[/QUOTE]

Lumines was a fun game on the PSP but since then Beat hazard and Shatter easily beat it out. This is the 3rd or 4th Lumines game, correct?

Plus it's first party anyway.

Biggest problem the Vita has right now is that it has no 'must have' games in its library.

Gravity Rush is probably the closest thing to a must have exclusive, but even then, it's gotten mixed reviews and just doesn't have an appeal to a wide enough audience to pump new blood into the Vita user-base.

Vita's tech is great, I play tested through Uncharted months before it was out and even then I knew I wanted to own one. It's just that the games haven't appeared that make me want to rush out and buy one, on top of that the cost of memory is artificially inflated and ridiculous and the price is going to fall given how much the console is struggling.

I hope that the Vita turns it around and can attract more buyers, but honestly Sony has really been dropping the ball with support of the platform, more so than any other console I can think of in recent memory.

It all comes down to this. The 3DS sells well due to the nintendo exclusives that are and will be released on the platform. The vita provides the best handheld console-like experience period. There is simply a bigger audience for nintendo exclusives than there is for people who want a console-like experience on a handheld.

It is as simple as that. I love the vita and I think it will do fine over the course of its life. If Sony can get must-have exclusives onto the system, it would greatly help. Price cuts are good, but quality exclusive software really moves systems.

[quote name='ZincAlloy']I think more than anything the 3DS 3D is a complete gimmick.
Watch Shadows of the Colossus, Resistance 3, or hell Mortal Kombat in active 3d at 240hz and you will see REAL 3D.
The current device is not worth 200, the Vita is EASILY worth 250.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more.

I would jump all over this deal, except for the fact that Vita has no games.

Sony ignores RPGs so I will ignore the Vita.

(and before people say it does have a few, I meant, great RPGs)

[quote name='Meno']Only conjecture? MetaCritic averages, announced upcoming game lineups, global sales, and statements from Sony themselves aren't hard evidence? Are you kidding me?

I haven't addressed the issue of why the Vita is selling poorly in any of my posts. None. You're arguing against a strawman.

I've been explicitly analyzing the quality of the Vita's current and upcoming games lineup; not what will increase Vita sales. Are your reading comprehension skills really this poor?[/QUOTE]

1.) My reading comprehension is not poor. Your ability to form a cogent argument is.

2.) Your original post said that the reason the Vita is a poor system is because of the games. Sadly, your list of Metacritic averages and your "critiquing" of them do nothing to support that statement. That along with your statement on who you *think* their demographic is called... wait for it... conjecture.

3.) Once you brought up the sales of the Vita as a point of why the Vita is a poor system, you indirectly opened up the sub-topic on why their sales are low. It's perfectly fine to discuss ways to improve those sales.

You are completely entitled to your opinion, which i respect. But you can't bash the Vita and not the 3DS. Anyway, this forum is about a sale and it's gone off-topic.

[quote name='Fire2box']Lumines was a fun game on the PSP but since then Beat hazard and Shatter easily beat it out. This is the 3rd or 4th Lumines game, correct?

Plus it's first party anyway.[/QUOTE]

This is like saying Mass Effect beats out God of War. They're not even close to being similar games.

[quote name='Cygnus11']It all comes down to this. The 3DS sells well due to the nintendo exclusives that are and will be released on the platform. The vita provides the best handheld console-like experience period. There is simply a bigger audience for nintendo exclusives than there is for people who want a console-like experience on a handheld.

It is as simple as that. I love the vita and I think it will do fine over the course of its life. If Sony can get must-have exclusives onto the system, it would greatly help. Price cuts are good, but quality exclusive software really moves systems.[/QUOTE]

It's even simpler than that. The 3DS sells well because it's marketed towards children. The Vita will never beat the 3DS because of that simple fact. However, just like the PSP, it can still be successful on its own. It's just dumbass gamers that think there can only be one winner and one loser.

[quote name='leichstein']You offer up a lot of conjecture, but nothing solid. I never said that the quality of one's library has any affect on the other. My point was to counter your assertion that the reason the Vita isn't selling like the 3DS is because the lineup is poor. The 3DS's lineup is just as, if not, worse than the Vita's. But the poor lineup hasn't affected the 3DS's sales, has it? No, and that's because it's cheaper. I bought my 3DS in April primarily because it was cheaper than the Vita. I'm sure many others made that same choice as well. What the Vita needs isn't necessarily more games, but a price cut. The 3DS was selling just as poorly before the price cut. After the cut, sales went through the roof despite a rather poor lineup. I'm sure if Sony did a price cut on the Vita, it would skyrocket as well. The software is right, but the price is not. That is my point.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you that 3ds is selling because of the price point.Just last week I saw three kids with a 3ds,but that's a different demographic. The Vita is very much a core gamer machine.Core gamers care and are aware about content.Have you seen the Vita store?Slim pickens there unless you like pinball.

The Vita HAS games, but it doesn't have many good/original games. Same problem that plagued the 3DS. Vita only has two games I want to play: Uncharted and Gravity Rush. Most of the other games are just downgraded ports of PS3 games. If I wanted to play LittleBigPlanet/UMVC3/SFxTekken, I'd just play it on PS3. As of right now, the Vita is the PSP all over again. Granted, it has only been 7 months.

bread's done
Back