GGT #115 Ain't No Need For Trunks E3 Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious to see how Alice looks in person considering how awesome the art book is. I've heard the design praised but then later called muddy by the same person.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I hope the DMC3 version they put in is SE, I bought DMC3 as soon as it price dropped and never got around to picking up the SE version.[/QUOTE]

The SE was cool because of the extras, but they made the game easier.

From what I remember you launch the original from the menu of Madness Returns.

Some of Madness Returns' trophies/achievements are for the original game...I'm guessing the code is just an unlock key and it's on the disc.

Dead Hatter (10)
In American McGee’s Alice, Complete Behind the Looking Glass

Royal Approach (10)
In American McGee’s Alice, Complete Queen of Heartsland

Full Recovery (50)
In American McGee’s Alice, Complete the Game

Madness Begins (10)
In American McGee’s Alice, Complete Village of the Doomed

Skool-Leaver (10)
In American McGee’s Alice, Complete Fortress of Doors

Out of the Woods (10)
In American McGee’s Alice, Complete Wonderland Woods

[quote name='whoknows']The SE was cool because of the extras, but they made the game easier.[/QUOTE]
Well hopefully they can add the extras without toning down the difficulty.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Nobody said you had to use them :p[/QUOTE]

I worded that badly. I don't mean the extras made the game easier (although being able to continue definitely did) I mean capcom went in and messed with the difficulty of the game to "balance it" or something.

[quote name='panzerfaust']5/10 to me means the game is showing signs of being broken and/or is so bad it's detrimental to the enjoyment of your entire day.[/QUOTE]
I think 5/10 is 3/5 which means it's okay, maybe a little mediocre. 2 is awful and 1 is the worst thing ever.

[quote name='panzerfaust']5/10 to me means the game is showing signs of being broken and/or is so bad it's detrimental to the enjoyment of your entire day.[/QUOTE]

If the reviewer uses the full scale though, then 5/10 just means mediocre/lukewarm or maybe a mixed bag. If a game was "so bad it's detrimental to the enjoyment of your entire day" then I would hope it would get a lower score than 5.

[quote name='diddy310']From what I remember you launch the original from the menu of Madness Returns.

Some of Madness Returns' trophies/achievements are for the original game...I'm guessing the code is just an unlock key and it's on the disc.
[/QUOTE]
This would make sense. Then you'd have to pay $10 to play the OG Alice with a used copy of Madness Returns AND you need to keep the disc too. Brilliant.

[quote name='diddy310']I feel like most reviewers treat a scale of 10 like a school grade, anything below a 70/7 is a failure.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, unfortunately most reviewers do, which is dumb because this isn't a school grade. This isn't "how many points did you get right out of 100?" If you're going to use a 10 point scale, then use the whole scale. There's no reason to let the bottom half of the scale go unused when a game is bad.

[quote name='diddy310']They're pretty much screwed because of Metacritic at this point.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Metacritic is really a detriment to the reviews industry. At least in it's current form with a combined metascore and all.

Any scale can work with consistency. I'm not a fan of the school grade system (and stars are very boring to me as well), but it seems every reviewer is almost forced to implement it due to the popularity of sites like meta critic, and how most consumers compare scores across sites.

I guess the grade system would be better if reviewers didn't give every game that's just okay a score of 8 or higher. Should work like a richter scale =p

[quote name='panzerfaust']Any scale can work with consistency. I'm not a fan of the school grade system (and stars are very boring to me as well), but it seems every reviewer is almost forced to implement it due to the popularity of sites like meta critic, and how most consumers compare scores across sites.

I guess the grade system would be better if reviewers didn't give every game that's just okay a score of 8 or higher. Should work like a richter scale =p[/QUOTE]

If a scale follows a more linear approach, then it is generally easier to follow (and easier to keep consistent). The problem with a lot of reviewers that use the 5-10 scale is that a lot of times they will give a decent game a 7 and then a bad game a 6.5. There's not a lot of room between those two scores in order to differentiate between the two. A more evenly spread out scale provides some room for differentiation. Right now there's hardly any varying degrees of less than good. Everything that isn't good seems to get between a 6-7.

And if someone wants to use the school grading system then use A-F, not 100 points or whatever.

That is a problem, and I was only half joking about the richter scale lol. If you're going to do the 5-10 system, then higher scores need to become exponentially more powerful as you go up. As in, an 8.3 is hugely different from a 7.9.

Of course, you'd need a well explained rubric for that.

[quote name='panzerfaust']That is a problem, and I was only half joking about the richter scale lol. If you're going to do the 5-10 system, then higher scores need to become exponentially more powerful as you go up. As in, an 8.3 is hugely different from a 7.9.

Of course, you'd need a well explained rubric for that.[/QUOTE]

And that's why I think using a full 10 point scale would just make things easier. It doesn't need to be exponential. I think Destructoid does things right by using the full scale in a linear way. That doesn't mean game scores are evenly spread amongst the scale. But the scale is clearly defined with 5 being mediocre.

I'm a fan of the 1 to 5 scale.

1 sucks, 2 is fair, 3 is average, 4 is good, 5 is great. All you need.

No .5s either, get that 4.5 shit out of my face, glorified 9.0. :nottalking:

I'm planning to get Alice too. $44.99 + FC is ok with me.

Played a lot of LA Noire this weekend. It has it's little problems--like the time I accidently left a clue too early before checking everything I wanted in a room, and ended up going straight into an unskippable cut scene which ended the chapter and fucked up my end score (fuck!)--but overall, I'm enjoying it. I guess I'm glad I got it
with FC and $20GC

I hope more story-based games use that incredible face capture technology that the game uses.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']I'm a fan of the 1 to 5 scale.

1 sucks, 2 is fair, 3 is average, 4 is good, 5 is great. All you need.

No .5s either, get that 4.5 shit out of my face, glorified 9.0. :nottalking:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, 1-5 or 1-10 works for me. When you start getting into the 100 point scale or in between scores, it just seems like too much.

[quote name='ihadFG']And that's why I think using a full 10 point scale would just make things easier. It doesn't need to be exponential. I think Destructoid does things right by using the full scale in a linear way. That doesn't mean game scores are evenly spread amongst the scale. But the scale is clearly defined with 5 being mediocre.[/QUOTE]

5.0 is "mediocre" on gamespot too but the writers make it very clear that only HORRENDOUS games get a 5 out of 10.

You can label the scores whatever you want but the writers are the ones giving their own definitions.

[quote name='panzerfaust']5.0 is "mediocre" on gamespot too but the writers make it very clear that only HORRENDOUS games get a 5 out of 10.

You can label the scores whatever you want but the writers are the ones giving their own definitions.[/QUOTE]

That's very true. But I guess the reason I brought up Destructoid is because they actually follow that scale. It would be nice if other sites like Gamespot would follow their scales as well.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Old news, but it slipped under the radar.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6308997/alice-madness-returns-includes-original-alice[/QUOTE]

I know the original is the online pass for the new one, but if the new one is crap then I just want to play the original.

That's why I said a year later because EA's going to use that to sell the new one, then if they're smart, get some money from the holdouts/traders and sell the original seperately in 2012.

[quote name='MSUHitman']I know the original is the online pass for the new one, but if the new one is crap then I just want to play the original.

That's why I said a year later because EA's going to use that to sell the new one, then if they're smart, get some money from the holdouts/traders and sell the original seperately in 2012.[/QUOTE]

OK, gotcha. I didn't know if you knew that or not. ^__^

And agreed, it would be a smart move on their part to separate it in the future.

House of the Dead Overkill Extended Edition for PS3? Might need a PS Move for that shit.

Motherfucker.

[quote name='ihadFG']That's very true. But I guess the reason I brought up Destructoid is because they actually follow that scale. It would be nice if other sites like Gamespot would follow their scales as well.[/QUOTE]
They really don't. Jim Sterling scores games based on what kind of reaction he wants to get out of people.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']
House of the Dead Overkill Extended Edition for PS3? Might need a PS Move for that shit.

Motherfucker.[/QUOTE]

I'd get a Move for that.

That game is awesome.

I feel like they've rebooted DC 5 times this decade. Is there a pool going on which book will go back to the original numbering first?

dc-new-justice-league-lee-big.jpg

Superman lost his outside underoos...and I feel like the necklace on WW is one accessory too many..but i'm happy all of the gaudy gold/red crap and jacket from the redesign are gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they already revealed it was going to be Justice League. It hasn't rebooted any this decade that I remember, though. They've had some soft retconning after Infinite Crisis, but that was it.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']They really don't. Jim Sterling scores games based on what kind of reaction he wants to get out of people.[/QUOTE]

That's what everyone who disagrees with him claims, but I've listened to him plenty enough on podcasts and videos to know that's not true.

[quote name='diddy310']I feel like they've rebooted DC 5 times this decade. Is there a pool going on which book will go back to the original numbering first?

dc-new-justice-league-lee-big.jpg

Superman lost his outside underoos...and I feel like the necklace on WW is one accessory too many..but i'm happy all of the gaudy gold/red crap and jacket from the redesign are gone.[/QUOTE]
I really dislike Superman's and Wonder Woman's redesigns. They should've stayed with the originals.

I like that they got rid of the square neckline on Superman (Black Adam is the only one who gets to sport the 80's body builder neckline), but now he has a belt that connects to nothing and the logo looks too low on his chest

I preferred the square neckline on Superman, it belonged on him. The collar reminds me more of the Russian Superman from Red Son. While I love that book (my most favorite ever), I really don't think it works for Earth 1 Supes.

Biggest concern about this is they said they're making the heroes younger with this, what happens to the younger heroes now?

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Bruce is roughly in his 40s, Dick in his mid 20s, Jason is supposed to be 19-23, Tim seems around 18, and Damian is 10. Making Bruce younger is definitely going to fuck shit up. I really wonder what this will do to Batman Inc and Dick being Batman, though.

[quote name='whoknows']I worded that badly. I don't mean the extras made the game easier (although being able to continue definitely did) I mean capcom went in and messed with the difficulty of the game to "balance it" or something.[/QUOTE]

I thought they merely shifted the difficulties... so easy was normal and normal was hard and hard was whatever and blah blah blah and a new easier mode showed up for sissy ass US gamers. ;)

It included a number of gameplay changes and additional content. Most notably, players could now choose to play as Dante's twin brother, Vergil. Other changes included an added survival mode called "Bloody Palace" with a total of 9999 levels; a new boss fight early in the game, with optional fights later; a "Turbo Mode" for 20 percent faster gameplay; and a continue system which can revive the character instantly, or allow the player to restart the fight they just lost as many times as they like. The game also has rebalanced difficulty.

Wiki seems to use your wording... so fair enough, maybe they fuct it up. I remember looking it up when I played my copy wondering if I was really missing anything from the SE and figure I wasn't so I just played my OG copy and then sold it.

[quote name='ihadFG']Yeah, I didn't see what happened either. Only that manthing's post(s) got deleted.[/QUOTE]

Manthing was calling out dmaul in a pretty direct fashion is pretty much it.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']I thought they merely shifted the difficulties... so easy was normal and normal was hard and hard was whatever and blah blah blah and a new easier mode showed up for sissy ass US gamers. ;)

Wiki seems to use your wording... so fair enough, maybe they fuct it up. I remember looking it up when I played my copy wondering if I was really missing anything from the SE and figure I wasn't so I just played my OG copy and then sold it.[/QUOTE]

I could tell they messed it up towards the beginning of the game. I was fighting Cerberus and he just laid down. I wasn't hitting him, he just laid down for no reason. I just played bloody palace after that and went back to reg DMC3 afterwards.

[quote name='whoknows']I could tell they messed it up towards the beginning of the game. I was fighting Cerberus and he just laid down. I wasn't hitting him, he just laid down for no reason. I just played bloody palace after that and went back to reg DMC3 afterwards.[/QUOTE]

What difficulty?
Because I swear that SE somewhat tiered them... so if you were playing on normal in DMC 3, then you should have been playing on hard in DMC 3 SE for a comprable experience... I can't speak personally on it though -- one can only hope it's the SE but with the ability to select the original version as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back