GGT #115 Ain't No Need For Trunks E3 Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='corrosivefrost']If you did, you could look more like Vin.

Hell, your beard is probably long enough to donate too. Think of all the needy teens like Beavis and Butt-Head. :lol:[/QUOTE]
These are all valid points. :whistle2:k

[quote name='distgfx']You people argue too much.[/QUOTE]
What do you mean by "you people"?

So racist. :nottalking:

fuck Jim Sterling, forreals. His reviews are nothing but trolling, he's the armond white of gaming, he weighs more than the entire GGT and though I haven't heard his own podcast, I've heard him on others and he just sounds like an annoying gamefaqs poster who gets paid to be annoying.

[quote name='ihadFG']Yep, at first I thought he was a reviews troll. But after listening to him on podcasts and stuff, where he would actually talk about the games he reviews, it's clear that he's no troll (at least not in the sense that people tend to claim). He's just very passionate about games and games writing. And he does like to say things that will push peoples buttons and garner attention. But that's part of his job. And he doesn't let it get in the way of honest work. People seem to think he likes all the negative attention, but I think that's mostly just because he tries not to show when it bothers him. I'd put Destructoid up there with Giant Bomb as one of the more respectable games/reviews sites out there.[/QUOTE]
You know what my favorite part about Jim Sterling is? The fact that he realistically talks about games after he reviews them and about how he probably should have reviewed them differently.

[quote name='panzerfaust']FFXIII is shit, my problem is that he didn't rate it lower.[/QUOTE]

You're right, still managed to be slightly better than FFXII though.

[quote name='panzerfaust']He sounds more over-the-top than any fanboy[/QUOTE]

That may be true in this review especially, but it doesn't make him wrong.

[quote name='panzerfaust']
I'm pretty sure he said the characters know what's going on. They don't. You and them are never caught up until 20 or so hours. They only things separating you is some fairly simple vocabulary you should catch on to.
[/QUOTE]

Except they do know part of what's going on. We know nothing. I agree that the vocabulary wasn't hard to catch onto, but

Not understanding the first 15 minutes of the game? Christ, like no book/movie/game/tv series has ever done this.
[/QUOTE]

If it was the first 15 minutes, I'd be fine with it. It just seemed to go on for hours and hours before I even knew what was happening at the beginning of the game. (I'm talking about the stuff the characters knew).

It's a terrible opinion, in my opinion.
[/QUOTE]

You may think so, but I'd say it was probably my least favorite JRPG story out of the ones I've actually finished.

They can't talk about the main elements of the story merely because the words are foreign.

In a fantasy game?
[/QUOTE]

The point isn't that the words are stupid. The point is that the game doesn't make you care enough about the story and world for the words to stop seeming stupid. A good story with good dialogue will make otherwise stupid words seem perfectly commonplace.

This is true, my whole point is invalid.
[/QUOTE]

Har har. It may not invalidate your statement entirely, but it does validate his.

Management focused gameplay means the game plays itself? Love it or hate it, that alone is wrong to say, and that alone was what I had a problem with.

He said it multiple times, no need to sugar coat what he honestly believes.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you that the game doesn't play itself. But what he's equating play to attacking and choosing actions. He throroughly explains how he feels about the battle system, and it isn't all negative. Context is important. If you take that one quote about battles playing themselves, it will give a completely different meaning than it does in the context of the review. In that context, it wasn't wrong.

I just don't see how such a ludicrous review is "good" to you. It effectively expresses his opinion and you're happy with merely that.
[/QUOTE]

His attitude was childish at times, but he did what I want a review to do. And that's give an honest opinion, while covering the bases and explaining why he felt the way he did in clear language. In that regard, I think the review was acceptable. I'd hardly call it one of his better reviews, since it seemed needlessly inflammatory, but I know that the guy's not stupid, so I was still able to glean some good info from his review that other reviews didn't seem to make quite as clear.

[quote name='whoknows']I really do like FFXIII[/QUOTE]

4hyx0.gif

[quote name='CaptainJoel']You know what my favorite part about Jim Sterling is? The fact that he realistically talks about games after he reviews them and about how he probably should have reviewed them differently.[/QUOTE]

I don't think he actually says that he should have reviewed them differently. Mainly just that his opinions of certain games have changed over time in one way or another, and he talks about how he would review them differently if he were to review them now. There's a subtle, but important difference in those two things.

[quote name='icebeast']You're right, still managed to be slightly better than FFXII though.[/QUOTE]

I don't think any FF is better than XII, and it's not even my favorite.

[quote name='icebeast']About my Final Fantasy yaoi obsession?[/QUOTE]

As much as I wish that has never been said before, it probably has. Many times.

[quote name='ihadFG']As much as I wish that has never been said before, it probably has. Many times.[/QUOTE]

I know, it seems to come up every time we skype and play games. :cool:

[quote name='panzerfaust']And no spoiler tags.[/QUOTE]

You're right can't have my precious pictures ghettoized. But I think we need to do a GGT dress rehearsal first.

Sorry about the holdup, now (mostly) SFW.

FullySFW.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hankmecrankme']Man.

What the fuck is going on in here?

Imma just go to sleep and pretend I never saw this shit.[/QUOTE]
More like you're going to go dream about what you saw.

[quote name='icebeast']You're right can't have my precious pictures ghettoized. But I think we need to do a GGT dress rehearsal first.

Sorry about the holdup, now (mostly) SFW.

MostlySFW.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I don't even want to know what's going on in some of those background pics.

[quote name='ihadFG']I don't even want to know what's going on in some of those background pics.[/QUOTE]

What background pics?

[quote name='seanr1221']Told my gf I wouldn't use my own money to buy any games between now and fall. She's giving up buying clothes for over the summer. Our money will be spent at Home Goods. :whee:[/QUOTE]

So who's gonna break first?

[quote name='distgfx']June 1st and no PSN Store ... Sony's wonderful streak of trustworthy deadlines continues.[/QUOTE]
They changed their statement a day or two ago to say that the store will definitely be back by the end of the week.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']They changed their statement a day or two ago to say that the store will definitely be back by the end of the week.[/QUOTE]

So, going by Sony time, that means late next week then?

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I want my PSN store back up now. This shit is so old it isn't even funny anymore. How long has it even been now?[/QUOTE]

It went down sometime in April, so well over a month.

[quote name='distgfx']It went down sometime in April, so well over a month.[/QUOTE]
I wonder how long it's going to take for them to be back on schedule by this point? It has to take at least a month for them to be able to get back on track.

[quote name='distgfx']It went down sometime in April, so well over a month.[/QUOTE]

4/19 or 4/20 ish.
So iit's been about 6 weeks, if their new deadline holds up.

Aren't you glad you're being offered games you probably already own or played through? :cool:

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I wonder how long it's going to take for them to be back on schedule by this point? It has to take at least a month for them to be able to get back on track.[/QUOTE]

About 3 weeks, probably, if they stick to 2 updates per week.

---

Side note...

cause.jpg

Yes, please.

[quote name='distgfx']I wonder if this means AE on PSN is delayed now.[/QUOTE]

I don't think so... games that have been delayed have made announcements, I think.

BTW, how do I get rid of this accursed gift notification that hounds me every time I log into Steam now. Is that something you can cancel on your end? I don't see anything under manage gifts in my client... :(

[quote name='corrosivefrost']I don't think so... games that have been delayed have made announcements, I think.

BTW, how do I get rid of this accursed gift notification that hounds me every time I log into Steam now. Is that something you can cancel on your end? I don't see anything under manage gifts in my client... :([/QUOTE]

Wait, what? Are you serious? There's nothing I can do about it from my end, it just shows me that Hank redeemed it. I did resend quite a few times, though. :cool:

Trying to clear out my backlog during these slow, summer months. Playing a lot of older games I've had sitting here for awhile.

First up was Brutal Legend, and that was bad...

[quote name='distgfx']I wonder if this means AE on PSN is delayed now.[/QUOTE]

You know it will be. The way Sony worded everything. They said when the store is finally back they will update every 2 days to make up for the content missed.

I do find it a bit funny you told people to stop complaining about games and just play them. You use to mess with Paco about KOF and then someone shows that God Hand review it isn't as funny since you like it. :bouncy:

Never played God Hand before so I can't really say anything about it.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Trying to clear out my backlog during these slow, summer months. Playing a lot of older games I've had sitting here for awhile.

First up was Brutal Legend, and that was bad...[/QUOTE]

I thought it was fun, mostly... the worst part was getting thrown into the RTS without any clue that it was coming... some of those battles fucking sucked unless the RTS elements clicked for you. Based off the demo, it was definitely a troll moment, like MGS2 with the tanker demo...

[quote name='distgfx']Wait, what? Are you serious? There's nothing I can do about it from my end, it just shows me that Hank redeemed it. I did resend quite a few times, though. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I get the popup every time I re-login. It tells me uraizen gifted me stuff, click here to redeem. I do and get the "no longer valid or rescinded" message. Repeat.

Eventually it just became build the crossbow car...ride to enemy base with Eddie on it, shoot...car dies...get a new crossbow car..repeat until victorious. Worked even on the hard difficulty.

Playing some more of that LA NOIRE. Game is so good, but I always feel like an asshole when I get a question wrong

To people who played it, is it that important to get every question right? should I go replay those bits and try to get the right answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back