Humble Bundle #4 Live!

[quote name='ChernobylCow']anyone able to play Shank off steam yet?[/QUOTE]

I bought the bundle a couple minutes after it went live and Shank plays fine for me..

[quote name='callmewoof']Is there a forum for trading for these game keys (and from other bundles)? Would that just be under the stream trade thread or somewhere else?[/QUOTE]

Forum rules: No selling/trading Humble Bundle keys. Mods will put the smack down on you if you do.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Jamestown is a lot of fun and I'm not a huge shmup fan. The aesthetic is what appealed to me.

Shank is still giving me "Failed to contact Key server".[/QUOTE]
I'm having the same issue. According to the game's steam forum, it appears that Steam has ran out of keys for this game. Hopefully they fix the issue soon.

Cory Doctorow of Boing Boing just wrote in a post about the HIB #4:

I'm volunteering with the Humble folks to do a Humble Ebook Bundle for the fall, and I've already got a pretty killer group of writers involved.

That could be interesting and he did write an MMO novel so it may be gaming related.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Forum rules: No selling/trading Humble Bundle keys. Mods will put the smack down on you if you do.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't aware of this. Thanks for the heads-up! :)

[quote name='louiedog']Cory Doctorow of Boing Boing just wrote in a post about the HIB #4:

That could be interesting and he did write an MMO novel so it may be gaming related.[/QUOTE]

Kewl, if only I had an eBook reader besides my PC.

Awesome looking bundle. I only owned Super Meat Boy and played part of the original free Cave Story, so I bought this last night. I've been enjoying the bundle even more than I already thought I would, so I'll probably be throwing them some more money soon.

[quote name='uncle5555']I disagree, Red Cross does more good for people than EFF, while they fight for our rights, helping people out in crisis (who've lost their homes or were displaced) is more important than if I can play a game with no restrictions or lobbying congress for digital rights...

I usually don't give much to charity on these, but seeing the Red Cross being a major beneficiary persuaded me to give them more than 50% of my donation to charity (if it had been EFF and Child's Play they would likely have not gotten much from me)[/QUOTE]

I agree that the Red Cross is a very important organization. I just wish (as others have noted) that they had replaced Child's Play instead of the EFF.

[quote name='ZeroFlame15']The deals seems good. I have a question though. Do these games play well on a laptop?[/QUOTE]

I can't speak to Shank, but all of the other games except Bit.Trip Runner work just fine on my four-year-old laptop.

[quote name='ZeroFlame15']The deals seems good. I have a question though. Do these games play well on a laptop?[/QUOTE]

Considering the range of possible laptop configurations, that would be hard to say without specific insight into what you've got. I've got a laptop that will run just about anything but the newest games on high settings.

[quote name='louiedog']Cory Doctorow of Boing Boing just wrote in a post about the HIB #4:

That could be interesting and he did write an MMO novel so it may be gaming related.[/QUOTE]
If it's gaming related and Kindle redeemable, then I will probably be in (or at least some way I can get it on the kindle). I am a sucker for these humble bundles because it goes to charity. Then again while I will play any game, I will not read any old book so it has to be something on the subject.

So far, I've tried SMB and BIT.TRIP RUNNER. SMB is super awesome. It's not as hard as I thought it would be. Keyboard controls are absolute trash though. I played the first world with KB controls. Got frustrated trying to get a bandage so I finally installed Motininjoy. Wow, so much easier. That game is tons of fun.

RUNNER is one of the worst gaming experiences I ever had though. Talk about frustrating, boring, and fake challenge level. It took me 50 tries to beat the first boss because I kept getting tricked by his pattern that you can't react to fast enough the first time without dying. You pretty much have to lose to know what to do. And you have to do the boring first part all over again to get to it. It's mind-numbingly boring. It was one of the most boring RAGEs I ever had. Terrible game. I could write a dissertation on it because I have so much bad stuff to say about it.

[quote name='EeveeFanboy']
RUNNER is one of the worst gaming experiences I ever had though. Talk about frustrating, boring, and fake challenge level. It took me 50 tries to beat the first boss because I kept getting tricked by his pattern that you can't react to fast enough the first time without dying. You pretty much have to lose to know what to do. And you have to do the boring first part all over again to get to it. It's mind-numbingly boring. It was one of the most boring RAGEs I ever had. Terrible game. I could write a dissertation on it because I have so much bad stuff to say about it.[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised by how much hate this game is getting. I find it incredibly fun and even relaxing at times. The Bit.Trip games are known for being incredibly challenging. I knew what I was getting into though...

NightSky, Bit.Trip Runner, and Cave Story+ work on my netbook, so unless your laptop is 6 years old you should be able to run at least those.

[quote name='EeveeFanboy']So far, I've tried SMB and BIT.TRIP RUNNER. SMB is super awesome. It's not as hard as I thought it would be. Keyboard controls are absolute trash though. I played the first world with KB controls. Got frustrated trying to get a bandage so I finally installed Motininjoy. Wow, so much easier. That game is tons of fun.

RUNNER is one of the worst gaming experiences I ever had though. Talk about frustrating, boring, and fake challenge level. It took me 50 tries to beat the first boss because I kept getting tricked by his pattern that you can't react to fast enough the first time without dying. You pretty much have to lose to know what to do. And you have to do the boring first part all over again to get to it. It's mind-numbingly boring. It was one of the most boring RAGEs I ever had. Terrible game. I could write a dissertation on it because I have so much bad stuff to say about it.[/QUOTE]

Either I can't tell that KB is bad for SMB or people are really exaggerating it because I am now in chapter 6 and I have done every light world stage except 3 and I have only used the KB. I've also only gotten frustrated with the bosses, but I still die all the time. Maybe it just doesn't bother me as much as some people. Now given I could care less about bandages and those seem to be more difficult to get compared to passing the level anyway, so I am not surprised that some people are freaking out over them.

And the bosses in Super Meat Boy are the almost exactly same as how you described the bosses (especially one of them) in BIT.TRIP. To know how to beat those stages you essentially have to die to figure out what to do.

If I pay under the average for the bundle, can I increase my payment afterwards to be more than the average and receive the extra games?

[quote name='Barkwhip']If I pay under the average for the bundle, can I increase my payment afterwards to be more than the average and receive the extra games?[/QUOTE]

yes but i believe it locks you in at the price you need to beat the average at the time of your purchase...so if it goes down...you're stuck...if thats what you are trying to do

I'm happy to hear that. I don't have enough to beat the average now, but I'll be able to at a later time. Thank you very much.

Come to think of it, this whole bundle has pretty hard games. SMB is hard, Bit Trip Runner is hard, Cave Story is pretty challenging. Jamestown is a SHMUP so it's ymmv but still overall pretty challenging but great games.

[quote name='Kaltic']Either I can't tell that KB is bad for SMB or people are really exaggerating it because I am now in chapter 6 and I have done every light world stage except 3 and I have only used the KB. I've also only gotten frustrated with the bosses, but I still die all the time. Maybe it just doesn't bother me as much as some people. Now given I could care less about bandages and those seem to be more difficult to get compared to passing the level anyway, so I am not surprised that some people are freaking out over them.

And the bosses in Super Meat Boy are the almost exactly same as how you described the bosses (especially one of them) in BIT.TRIP. To know how to beat those stages you essentially have to die to figure out what to do.[/QUOTE]
The difference is that during SMB's bosses, I had fun. SMB is more about skill than BIT.TRIP. That game is 100% memorization and repetition. And on SMB's keyboard controls, how easy do you find it to jump on one block floating platforms? There's one retro stage that has tons of those in a row. I couldn't land on them for the life of me with KB. I then switched to controller and I had such an easier time.

[quote name='EeveeFanboy']

Runner is the Best Game Ever.

You must be doing it wrong.

First time picking up the humble bundle, i was curious about Cave Story and i heard SMB was the most masochistic game ever made. It was a bonus that i didn't have any of the other games.

Upon playing all these games i ended up donating more and began yelling at everyone i know

"YOU HAVENT PLAYED THESE? ARE YOU fuckING NUTS! GET IT NOW GIVE THEM MONEY WHY DO YOU HATE SICK CHILDREN AND GOOD GAMES?"

[quote name='gordojones88']Runner is the Best Game Ever.

You must be doing it wrong.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

I love Bit Trip Runner so much. Even when I hated it I loved it. Rusty Warren is my damned nemesis. I played that one level for hours on two consoles. I made noises when I beat that level that I never made with a woman.

It's not all memorization, a lot of it is reaction time. Only when you screw up do you need to remember what to do. It's somewhere between puzzle, rhythm and platform. When you mix all that up, it's an evil early-80s arcade game without the quarters.

This is the first bundle I'm skipping. I've barely touched the games I've bought in previous Bundles, but wanted to toss some coin to the devs and charities, but this mix of games just doesn't appeal to me. Too many Atari 2600-looking games with reputations for BRUTAL difficulties makes this an all-lose proposition for me. Maybe next time.

Shank is pretty good, but what's-her-face with the scar is giving me some trouble.
Bit.Trip Runner is REALLY pissing me off. I can't get past the 1-2 because of those goddamn stairs.

[quote name='Oaxan']Shank is pretty good, but what's-her-face with the scar is giving me some trouble.
Bit.Trip Runner is REALLY pissing me off. I can't get past the 1-2 because of those goddamn stairs.[/QUOTE]

time your jumps

[quote name='DirkBelig']This is the first bundle I'm skipping. I've barely touched the games I've bought in previous Bundles, but wanted to toss some coin to the devs and charities, but this mix of games just doesn't appeal to me. Too many Atari 2600-looking games with reputations for BRUTAL difficulties makes this an all-lose proposition for me. Maybe next time.[/QUOTE]

You're going to miss out on the best bundle ever offered.

[quote name='Oaxan']Shank is pretty good, but what's-her-face with the scar is giving me some trouble.
Bit.Trip Runner is REALLY pissing me off. I can't get past the 1-2 because of those goddamn stairs.[/QUOTE]

I had issue with them at first, too. I found it easier once I started listening more to the rhythm than trying to time it by looking at them.

I'd love to get the soundtrack to some of these games, but I own most of the games already. Anyway to just redeem the soundtrack and gift the games to friends?

[quote name='namepl']I'd love to get the soundtrack to some of these games, but I own most of the games already. Anyway to just redeem the soundtrack and gift the games to friends?[/QUOTE]

The soundtracks are direct downloads. You can give the Steam key(s) away.

[quote name='Oaxan']Shank is pretty good, but what's-her-face with the scar is giving me some trouble.[/QUOTE]

Get into a habit of holding down the block button practically the whole time during boss fights. Hit left or right to dodge when you need to. It takes a few tries to beat each boss.

[quote name='louiedog']The bundle now includes soundtracks for every game.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, the Jamestown soundtrack is awesome. As is the game.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']You're going to miss out on the best bundle ever offered.[/QUOTE]Why? Because it's full of games that YOU like? I went to the site today with the intention of buying it and rewatched the trailer and it simply didn't speak to me and my taste in games. I'm not saying these games suck; just that they aren't my cuppa. By analogy, if I like shooters and racing games, a bundle of great sports sims and MMORPGs is of little interest. I'm missing nothing. I'm just choosing to not buy games I will not play and not enjoy.

[quote name='DirkBelig']Why? Because it's full of games that YOU like? I went to the site today with the intention of buying it and rewatched the trailer and it simply didn't speak to me and my taste in games. I'm not saying these games suck; just that they aren't my cuppa. By analogy, if I like shooters and racing games, a bundle of great sports sims and MMORPGs is of little interest. I'm missing nothing. I'm just choosing to not buy games I will not play and not enjoy.[/QUOTE]

Trailer? You should at least watch some gameplay vids on youtube or a quick look on giant bomb. Trying out any available demo's is also a good idea.

[quote name='doodofdoods']Trailer? You should at least watch some gameplay vids on youtube or a quick look on giant bomb. Trying out any available demo's is also a good idea.[/QUOTE]FFS! What is the militant d-baggery going on here about?!? I've got such a backlog of games that I'm not even buying anything this season unless they're extremely cheap during Steam's holiday sale; I passed on Bastion for $5 because I'm so loaded. How loaded? I haven't finished Batman in two years. That's Arkham ASYLUM, not CITY.

I bought the 2nd, 3rd, and Introversion Bundles. What's that? 15 games? 20? I've scratched at perhaps five of them, so why am I obligated to spend an hour watching videos and trying demos because some rabid fanboys don't approve of my not paying for games that don't interest me?!?

Foreal, you'd be hard pressed not to find something you like in this bundle. Super Meat Boy, Shank, Jamestown and Cave Story are some of the finest games of their respective genres (platformer, beat em up, shmup, metroidvania) this generation. It's kind of absurd that you can snag all 4 of these for only 5 bucks. It makes most of the other bundles offered this year look laughable in comparison.

[quote name='DirkBelig']FFS! What is the militant d-baggery going on here about?!? I've got such a backlog of games that I'm not even buying anything this season unless they're extremely cheap during Steam's holiday sale; I passed on Bastion for $5 because I'm so loaded. How loaded? I haven't finished Batman in two years. That's Arkham ASYLUM, not CITY.

I bought the 2nd, 3rd, and Introversion Bundles. What's that? 15 games? 20? I've scratched at perhaps five of them, so why am I obligated to spend an hour watching videos and trying demos because some rabid fanboys don't approve of my not paying for games that don't interest me?!?[/QUOTE]

Mainly because many have a hard time believing that there isn't one game in this bundle you'd think you'd like. General consensus is that this is the best bundle quality-wise that you are likely going to see. Not a bad game in the bunch.

Hey, if you don't like it, you don't like it. But many are going to shrug their shoulders and wonder what it is you do like.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Mainly because many have a hard time believing that there isn't one game in this bundle you'd think you'd like. General consensus is that this is the best bundle quality-wise that you are likely going to see. Not a bad game in the bunch.

Hey, if you don't like it, you don't like it. But many are going to shrug their shoulders and wonder what it is you do like.[/QUOTE]What part of "I HAVE A HUGE BACKLOG OF GAMES AND SUPER-UBER-DIFFICULT GAMES THAT CATER TO THE NERD RAGE MASOCHISTS ONLY DON'T INTEREST ME!!!!" is too difficult to understand?!? Especially when post after post is from people mentioning how brutally hard some parts are? AGAIN, I never said these games weren't any good, but aren't to my tastes. Why can't you people accept that not everyone likes the same stuff you do?!?

bread's done
Back