Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
anyone play that Star Wars Battle for Hoth game? I'm a sucker for Tower Defense type games, and Star Wars makes it even more enticing.

Ok I have a tip for you guys, it works but you might think I am nuts, oh well whatever. If you are frustrated because you can't feel the buttons on the iPod or iPhone I have a solution. I read on lifehacker the other day or so that some company is making stick on d-pads for this device. Well I decided to create some of my own, its very simple, get a piece of vinyl, cut in the shape of a small button and stick it to the screen of your iDevice where the button is in the game you are playing. You can now feel the buttons. Its working perfectly for me. I am using my old halloween window clings as vinyl, and it works perfect (I also have a screen protector on my device). You can also get vinyl from a craft store for very little money if you don't have something that will work lying around the house.

Sure the pieces of vinyl will be easy to lose but if you are sitting home in a marathon game session trying to get higher scores you may want to try this.

[quote name='SaraAB']Ok I have a tip for you guys, it works but you might think I am nuts, oh well whatever. If you are frustrated because you can't feel the buttons on the iPod or iPhone I have a solution. I read on lifehacker the other day or so that some company is making stick on d-pads for this device. Well I decided to create some of my own, its very simple, get a piece of vinyl, cut in the shape of a small button and stick it to the screen of your iDevice where the button is in the game you are playing. You can now feel the buttons. Its working perfectly for me. I am using my old halloween window clings as vinyl, and it works perfect (I also have a screen protector on my device). You can also get vinyl from a craft store for very little money if you don't have something that will work lying around the house.

Sure the pieces of vinyl will be easy to lose but if you are sitting home in a marathon game session trying to get higher scores you may want to try this.[/QUOTE]Actually, that's pretty damn clever!

[quote name='GamerChris']anyone play that Star Wars Battle for Hoth game? I'm a sucker for Tower Defense type games, and Star Wars makes it even more enticing.[/QUOTE]

I bought it and played some and from the little I played it's barely worth the .99. First off the game is really ugly (has no color or detail), second I'm sure the game gets more difficult as it goes but it was incredibly easy (but then again I think there were more difficulty levels), it seems like a little fun but I'm a bit disappointed from the first parts.

Also that Rimelands: Hammer of Thor seemes pretty awesome from the little I played.

[quote name='crunchewy']I got Zen Bound the last time it was free and... I don't really get it. You wind a string around an object. That's it. Perhaps it gets more interesting later, but it just about put me to sleep in the time I did spend on it.[/QUOTE]

Heh. I'm not trying to be pretentious or whatever, but this made me laugh. It's a Zen game. It's SUPPOSED to relax you, so it did it's job.

That said, I don't find it very entertaining either and for something that's supposed to make you feel relaxed, it gets rather frustrating later on.

[quote name='GamerChris']anyone play that Star Wars Battle for Hoth game? I'm a sucker for Tower Defense type games, and Star Wars makes it even more enticing.[/QUOTE]

It got a mediocre review on touch arcade.

http://toucharcade.com/2010/07/14/s...th-this-tower-defender-at-least-a-little-bit/

"At the end of the day, while there are better tower defense games on the App Store, this is the only one where you can battle waves of AT-AT's, which is likely worth the price of admission alone for most."

526215.png

http://appshopper.com/games/nfl-2011-free

There's a free version of the NFL 2011 game made by Gameloft that's currently available to try out.

That cartoon is soo true. I try to limit myself, but I will admit I spend about $10 a week on 99cent apps. If it's a big sale week, this may go as high as $15. That's in addition to all the free apps I score via this thread or those sale finder apps.

I'm sure there's people out there that spend alot more then that. I figure it isn't too bad because I don't buy music via iTunes. I buy my music on Amazon.

I pop in and out of this thread, and read updates on my Touch. When the post count reaches 5,000, I will be making a new thread. Just to make following it easier for everyone.

I haven't looked, but how is that separate iPad thread going? Should I consider changing the title to "iPod/iPhone/iPad Games -- Ongoing Sales" ?

The ipad thread isn't going nearly as well. I for one would love it if we could incorporate the ipad deals into this thread.

Great App a Day is featuring Airplane Duel for its current title (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/airplane-duel/id331607969?mt=8)

Free App Calendar is highlighting Ion Charge right now (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id318071309?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4)

The latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day is Corsair (http://ax.itunes.apple.com/app/corsair/id387078439?mt=8). It's gotten a lot of negative reviews but I've posted it for those who might be interested in the latest OpenFeint freebie.

FAAD has a host of relatively pedestrian offerings right now. You can check them out for yourself if you're curious (http://www.freeappaday.com/).

[quote name='Mddurden']The ipad thread isn't going nearly as well. I for one would love it if we could incorporate the ipad deals into this thread.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DtotheP']iPad deals should probably be in here too, eventhough I don't have one.[/QUOTE]

OR... they can go in the iPad games/deals thread, like how this one is titled "iPhone and iPod touch games" in case this thread didn't have a clear purpose. ;) Just be the productive one and look for the deals and post them there as Dimsdale and I and many others do here. I'm not being an @$$ but I don't have an iPad, nor do I plan on buying one anytime soon, so I'd rather not have to sift through over a hundred apps a day PLUS iPad apps that don't even concern me just to get to the good stuff. I hope you can understand, thanks.

[quote name='jjz203']OR... they can go in the iPad games/deals thread, like how this one is titled "iPhone and iPod touch games" in case this thread didn't have a clear purpose. ;) Just be the productive one and look for the deals and post them there as Dimsdale and I and many others do here. I'm not being an @$$ but I don't have an iPad, nor do I plan on buying one anytime soon, so I'd rather not have to sift through over a hundred apps a day PLUS iPad apps that don't even concern me just to get to the good stuff. I hope you can understand, thanks.[/QUOTE]

I totally understand that you are just voicing your opinion on the question asked and I certainly don't think you are being an @$$ for doing so. I was just answering the question as posed as well. If people don't want the ipad deals in here as well I'll just try to take part more in the iPad deals thread and hopefully it will get a little more active. I just enjoy reading this thread because there is so much activity on it and was wishing the iPad thread was as prolific...:). I wouldn't even have suggested it if the thread owner had not asked for thoughts on the issue.

[quote name='Mddurden']The ipad thread isn't going nearly as well. I for one would love it if we could incorporate the ipad deals into this thread.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DtotheP']iPad deals should probably be in here too, eventhough I don't have one.[/QUOTE]

OR... they can go in the iPad games/deals thread, like how this one is titled "iPhone and iPod touch games" in case this thread didn't have a clear purpose. ;) Just be the productive one and look for the deals and post them there as Dimsdale and I and many others do here. I'm not being an @$$ but I don't have an iPad, nor do I plan on buying one anytime soon, so I'd rather not have to sift through over a hundred apps a day PLUS iPad apps that don't even concern me just to get to the good stuff. I hope you can understand, thanks.

Speaking of iPhone and iPod touch games...

Radiant is the latest FAAD Gold game of the day. It's a space invaders clone game with a slight variation on the formula. Decent fun for free.

http://ax.itunes.apple.com/app/radiant/id335989815?mt=8

Synth Racing just dropped to free and is a pretty fun 3d racer that looks a bit like the good old F-Zero game.

http://ax.itunes.apple.com/app/synth-racing/id320111088?mt=8

Space Boss is new and currently free. A really nice looking shmup and decent fun. Give it a try and you won't be disappointed, at least I wasn't. :razz:

http://ax.itunes.apple.com/app/space-boss/id383096190?mt=8

If iPad apps were universal with ipod touch/iphone I'd be cool with it, however I also would rather not sift through anything more than what we already get in here. This is very tight/clean, easy to follow and great participation (hence when iPad people would want a piece of this.. LOL).

Hypocritically speaking... If I had an iPad I'd want it too ;) LOL!

Also very cool of the people (jjz203 and anyone else that does it) to take the time to post here and there when needed. Props for that!

[quote name='kryptonic']Also very cool of the people (jjz203 and anyone else that does it) to take the time to post here and there when needed. Props for that![/QUOTE]

Agreed! Thanks to everyone who contributes and makes this such a great thread...one that the iPad users covet!;)

[quote name='Mddurden']Agreed! Thanks to everyone who contributes and makes this such a great thread...one that the iPad users covet!;)[/QUOTE]
The iPad thread is nothing compared to this one cause:
1) Fewer people own iPads than iPhones/iPods
2) iPad has much fewer sales (no faad for us)

At least us iPad users can run all the iPhone stuff. I check this thread daily and my only iDevice is an iPad. Thanks to all who post here :)

FAAD is also featuring the vertical shooter Super Laser: The Alien Fighter right now (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/super-laser-the-alien-fighter/id351808758?mt=8).
"Are you a Top Gun at Flight Shooter Games? Super Laser takes you back to your childhood where games like Raiden and 1942 left you with blisters on your thumbs and an empty wallet.
Super Laser is guaranteed to please, it's so good that on Day 1 of Release it has been "Featured by Apple as New and Noteworthy".
"In Year 2036, the Earth's population has reduced to only 1.5 billions due to resources shortage and global climate warming. The bizarre climate is somehow suitable for the aliens to move in. These aliens can attach to any organizm or machinery to evolve into new forms of life. The Earth has unfortunately become their second home. The human beings must act fast to destroy the aliens before they conquer the whole world. The Earth Alliance secretly sends a fighter equipped with the ultimate and most advanced weapon, called "Super Laser", to the aliens' stronghold..."
Imagine hordes of alien enemies rushing towards you, then imagine turning them into space dust at the flick of your finger! You're flying a futuristic space ship capable of blowing nasty aliens into smithereens, use that power and be the hero that saves the world!"

Go Go Miner is the latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://ax.itunes.apple.com/app/go-go-miner/id386328954?mt=8). At least the first two chapters of it are free. . .
"One day the Miner receives a package explaining that he's just inherited a secret map to "The Mother-lode" An alleged gold vein beneath the Earth's surface that runs for Miles. His journey starts out small but may eventually leading to him mining deserts, the ocean floor, city streets, and possibly even the moon!
Get ready to step into the shoes of the miner and follow him on his epic journey through soil, rock, and cyberspace!"

[quote name='ryanflucas']I haven't looked, but how is that separate iPad thread going? Should I consider changing the title to "iPod/iPhone/iPad Games -- Ongoing Sales" ?[/QUOTE]

Yes. iPad deals should definitely be in this thread. There aren't enough of them to sustain its own thread.

[quote name='porieux']Yes. iPad deals should definitely be in this thread. There aren't enough of them to sustain its own thread.[/QUOTE]

Here's another vote for NOT including them. Separate device, separate apps, and I'd personally much rather not look through more things that I have no use for.

The Ipad thread has averaged like one post every couple days so I don't see what the big deal is, included them in this one. I have both devices and am sure there are others like me.

iQuoit is the newest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://ax.itunes.apple.com/app/iquoit/id393770604?mt=8).
"The traditional game in Asia is available on your iPhone now!
Simplest game play with great challenge and fun! Just touch and drag to toss the ring, the item encircled by the ring will belong to you!
3 rareness levels for the items. More than 50 types of items for you to collect!
Different items worth different value, use the "gold" you gain to exchange more rings! Try to gain higher score by encircle rare items!"

The 3D shooter MadMaks is also currently available for FREE (http://ax.itunes.apple.com/app/madmaks/id369648863?mt=8).
"Mad Maks is a fun 3D arcade shooting game. As the pilot of your battle vehicle, your need to defend your units and dodge waves of enemy attack in order to deliver your forces to victory!
There are 10 exciting stages with 3 modes of difficulty. You must complete one stage to in order to unlock the next. Once all 10 stages are completed, you can test your skills in Hard mode. Your performance in each stage will decide the number of Bonus Stars awarded which will unlock the Challenge games. Play the Challenge games to hone in your shooting and dodging abilities.
An online multiplayer version and new stages will be available in the future so stay tuned!"

A "funny strategy game," Bear vs Penguins has dropped to FREE for the first time (http://ax.itunes.apple.com/app/bear-vs-penguins/id376799848?mt=8).
"Evil penguins rush fiercely forward to the bear’s ice house. In defense of hearth and home, what the bear can only do is to unite a large number of animals in fighting against the invasion of the penguins.
You can control the bear’s alliance on five roads to defend the repeated attacks of the invading army made up of 30 kinds of penguins, thus, you can hit especially hard at the invading army. Funny characters, impressive images, flexible strategy, mysterious and inspiring music will bring you the most incredible experience. Every penguin has its own unique and funny way of walking and attacking. The attack of the defense turret will give you a big surprise.
The game has 20 levels, so you can allow your imagination full play. You can combine any way of fighting you can imagine to hit the invading army. Every battle will give you different surprises.
Let’s join in the fight in the defense of hearth and home."

I'll throw out a vote for no iPad-only stuff in here, but it's not the end of the world if they do merge. I just think there are enough apps being posted in here that I don't care about, I'd rather not add to that with things I can't even use.

(Although I will say, those who keep this thread running are doing a great job, and I appreciate all the effort you guys put in to posting deals, even if the majority of them don't appeal to me.)

[quote name='incyr']i'll throw out a vote for no ipad-only stuff in here, but it's not the end of the world if they do merge. I just think there are enough apps being posted in here that i don't care about, i'd rather not add to that with things i can't even use.

(although i will say, those who keep this thread running are doing a great job, and i appreciate all the effort you guys put in to posting deals, even if the majority of them don't appeal to me.)[/quote]

+1

One for all you iPad owners out there who'd like something for FREE, the classic Sierra adventure SpaceQuest: The Sarien Encounter is now available to you via http://ipad.sarien.net. Just load it up in your browser, start clicking, and re-live the 80s all over again (or experience them for the first time with this nostalgic throwback).

[quote name='INCyr']I'll throw out a vote for no iPad-only stuff in here, but it's not the end of the world if they do merge. I just think there are enough apps being posted in here that I don't care about, I'd rather not add to that with things I can't even use.

(Although I will say, those who keep this thread running are doing a great job, and I appreciate all the effort you guys put in to posting deals, even if the majority of them don't appeal to me.)[/QUOTE]

I share the same.

[quote name='GamerChris']It means you need to update to 4.1. There's lots of apps like that.[/QUOTE]

I'm quite happy with my jailbreak and don't want to update and rejailbreak. I was hoping there may be a workaround. In any case PulseNews just went free. It's a cool RSS type reader. There is a free ipad version as well.

I would like to cast a vote to merge the threads. The iPad thread can go a week without a post, so it would use less space in 3 months than what we've spent talking about it.

Just my 2 cents... :)

I would like to see free iPad apps posted here since they sometimes eventually become universal apps. There really should just be a free app thread and a separate sale app thread.

Seeing that not all of the iPad apps are universal, I'd rather not see them in this thread.

I vote "no" to merging the threads.

[quote name='alison']Seeing that not all of the iPad apps are universal, I'd rather not see them in this thread.

I vote "no" to merging the threads.[/QUOTE]
+1 for the same reason.

+1 to NO ipad stuff as well, too bad there isnt a poll you can take or something.. we are going to clutter the fuck out this thread with votes. :/

I vote no on fat chicks... wait, what are we voting for again?
I don't actually have anything against "fat chicks."

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back