Kane & Lynch didn't sell 1,000,000 & Zack & Wiki didn't bomb, and other sales facts..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some requests:

Wii:
- THE BIGS
- DRAGON BALL Z: BUDOKAI TENKAICHI 2
- TRANSFORMERS
- SIMPSONS - THE MOVIE

360:
- MADDEN NFL 07
- CALL OF DUTY 2
- MADDEN NFL 08

PS3:
- MADDEN NFL 09
- MADDEN NFL 08
- MADDEN NFL 07

thx =)

[quote name='roland13x']Either that, or Master Chief is going to be a raging drunk with a couple missing fingers and no neck who has visions of demons in the next Halo game.[/QUOTE]

"After the war, Master Chief didn't adjust well to civilian life. He fell into drunkenness and experienced flashbacks of his time fighting against the Covenant. This is his story."

[quote name='roland13x']At E3 around the time of Bloodrayne 2's release, they had one of the hottest/scariest booth babes dressed as Rayne. It'll stick with me until I die.
[/quote]Pics?

Thanks for checking Too Human. Methinks that is one trilogy that will not be completed unless MS is feeling overly generous in the future. :whistle2:#

[quote name='Walt Jay']Thanks for checking Too Human. Methinks that is one trilogy that will not be completed unless MS is feeling overly generous in the future. :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Eh, I've seen stranger things get sequels.

[quote name='kloxpark']Some requests:

thx =)[/QUOTE]

Wii:
- THE BIGS - 298k
- DRAGON BALL Z: BUDOKAI TENKAICHI 2 - 179k
- TRANSFORMERS - 263k
- SIMPSONS - THE MOVIE - 259k

360:
- MADDEN NFL 07 - 1.48M
- CALL OF DUTY 2 - 1.3M
- MADDEN NFL 08 - 1.84M

PS3:
- MADDEN NFL 09 - 1.22M
- MADDEN NFL 08 - 795k
- MADDEN NFL 07 - 386k

[quote name='whoknows']Have new numbers for Killzone (PS2) been asked yet?

If not howbout those?[/QUOTE]

Killzone - 688k [willing to bet KZ3 kills this number eventually]

[quote name='roland13x']Wii:
- THE BIGS - 298k
- DRAGON BALL Z: BUDOKAI TENKAICHI 2 - 179k
- TRANSFORMERS - 263k
- SIMPSONS - THE MOVIE - 259k

360:
- MADDEN NFL 07 - 1.48M
- CALL OF DUTY 2 - 1.3M
- MADDEN NFL 08 - 1.84M

PS3:
- MADDEN NFL 09 - 1.22M
- MADDEN NFL 08 - 795k
- MADDEN NFL 07 - 386k[/quote]
Thank you. :D

Impressive how Call of Duty turned into such a big franchise with Modern Warfare. O_O

Madden numbers are also nice, should be interesting to see if Madden '10 is going to outsell Madden 09 (both PS3 & 360).

Wii numbers are also ok, but Dragon Ball could be higher. ^^

Some additional requests if possible. ^^

Wii:
- HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF PHOENIX
- NARUTO: CLASH OF THE NINJA REVOLUTION
- CARS
- SSX BLUR

360:
- THE ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION
- TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX: VEGAS
- GUITAR HERO 2
- MASS EFFECT

PS3:
- TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX: VEGAS
- THE ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION
- WARHAWK
- NEED FOR SPEED: CARBON

[quote name='Walt Jay']Thanks for checking Too Human. Methinks that is one trilogy that will not be completed unless MS is feeling overly generous in the future. :whistle2:#[/quote]

File next to Advent Rising.

[quote name='Logg']I got one

NBA: Street Homecourt

I am playing it right now, (up 15-2) and its a pretty fun game.[/QUOTE]

Already posted.

[quote name='roland13x']Killzone - 688k [willing to bet KZ3 kills this number eventually][/QUOTE]

Speaking of KZ3, how about KZ2 (aka. PSP Killzone)?

Edit:
And a few miscellaneous ones, if you don't mind. :)

NDS Horsez
NDS Happy Feet
NDS Age of Empires II
NDS Star Wars: Episode III

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm kind of interested in how the SNK games are performing on the Wii versus the PS2. You already gave the Metal Slug Anthology numbers, so how about:

SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1 (Wii, PS2, PSP)
King of Fighters Collection: The Orochi Saga (Wii, PS2, PSP)

Thanks!

Though I'm likely crossing over the line to annoying since I asked this in my last big post, and I apologize in advance if that is the case, but I am quite interested in finding out about how certain FPSes for the Wii have fared:
- Call of Duty World at War (PS3, 360, PS2, DS; For comparison purposes)
- Medal of Honor Heroes 2
- Metroid Prime 3 (It was asked during the last round, but it might be one of those games worth an update)
- Red Steel

Thank you!

[quote name='HustlerKid']Whats the point of this topic?[/QUOTE]

To know how well your favorite games sold? This information isn't available to the public, Roland is providing an awesome service.

[quote name='kloxpark']Thank you. :D

Impressive how Call of Duty turned into such a big franchise with Modern Warfare. O_O

Madden numbers are also nice, should be interesting to see if Madden '10 is going to outsell Madden 09 (both PS3 & 360).

Wii numbers are also ok, but Dragon Ball could be higher. ^^

Some additional requests if possible. ^^
[/QUOTE]

I think kloxpark has reached their quota :)

Wii:
- HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF PHOENIX - 249k
- NARUTO: CLASH OF THE NINJA REVOLUTION - 274k
- CARS - 219k
- SSX BLUR - 155k

360:
- THE ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION - 1.61M [all versions]
- TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX: VEGAS - 1.21M
- GUITAR HERO 2 - 1.7M [all versions]
- MASS EFFECT - 1.07M [all versions]

PS3:
- TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX: VEGAS - 341k
- THE ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION - 402k
- WARHAWK - 300k [retail only]
- NEED FOR SPEED: CARBON - 387k

[quote name='donny2112']Already posted.

Speaking of KZ3, how about KZ2 (aka. PSP Killzone)?

Edit:
And a few miscellaneous ones, if you don't mind. :)[/QUOTE]

PSP Killzone - 280k
NDS Horsez - 291k
NDS Happy Feet - 233k [this trailer was playing behind my game's booth at E3 2006. I wanted to kill myself after a few hours of hearing it. I'll never forgive you Happy Feet.]
NDS Age of Empires II - 227k
NDS Star Wars: Episode III - 230k

[quote name='Josef']I'm kind of interested in how the SNK games are performing on the Wii versus the PS2. You already gave the Metal Slug Anthology numbers, so how about:

Thanks![/QUOTE]

SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1 - 16k (Wii) 25k (PSP) 28k (PS2)
King of Fighters Collection: The Orochi Saga - 5k (Wii) 17k (PSP) 30k (PS2)

[quote name='Cao Cao']Though I'm likely crossing over the line to annoying since I asked this in my last big post, and I apologize in advance if that is the case, but I am quite interested in finding out about how certain FPSes for the Wii have fared:

Thank you![/QUOTE]

- Call of Duty World at War - 2.98M (360) 1.23M (PS3) 249k (PS2) 128k (DS)
- Medal of Honor Heroes 2 - 280k
- Metroid Prime 3 - 728k
- Red Steel - 463k

[quote name='mykevermin']to piss you off.[/QUOTE]

A winner!

Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm (PS3)

Might be too early, but Street Fighter IV, and Sonic's Ultimate Game Collection?

[quote name='roland13x'][this trailer was playing behind my game's booth at E3 2006. I wanted to kill myself after a few hours of hearing it. I'll never forgive you Happy Feet.][/QUOTE]

:lol: Speaking of, what do you think of "the return of E3" coming in June? Looking forward to it? Dreading it?

IIRC, one of the problems with the May timeframe was that it caused many developers to have to shoehorn in a demo during a critical phase leading up the Fall release period. Will being a month later help that much?

[quote name='roland13x']A winner![/QUOTE]

:D

Thanks again, for posting the numbers. :)

[quote name='gunm']Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm (PS3)

Might be too early, but Street Fighter IV, and Sonic's Ultimate Game Collection?[/QUOTE]

Naruto UNS - 132k [includes all versions]

Yeah, too soon for the others. These numbers only go to the end of January. New numbers should be released around the middle of March.

[quote name='donny2112']:lol: Speaking of, what do you think of "the return of E3" coming in June? Looking forward to it? Dreading it?

IIRC, one of the problems with the May timeframe was that it caused many developers to have to shoehorn in a demo during a critical phase leading up the Fall release period. Will being a month later help that much?

Thanks again, for posting the numbers. :)[/QUOTE]

I'm honestly pretty indifferent to this year's E3. I'm registered and will most likely go (it's easy for me since I'm in the LA area), but really, I'm not expecting much. In some ways, I have a feeling the atmosphere is going to be one where people may be trying too hard to recapture something that is now legitimately lost. But, I'm going to have an open mind and give it a shot.

You are totally right though about why developers absolutely hated E3 before. I can't tell you how many man-months were wasted on creating E3 demos. Sometimes it was useful work, but way too often it was duct-taped together with code and assets that are most likely going to be tossed once the demo was created. I get that publishers and developers need to have a venue to promote their games, but sometimes the games' schedule just didn't correspond to E3's schedule, but it was still forced. That's why although a month later will no doubt help a lot of holiday timeframe titles, there's still going to be plenty of games that lose way too much time for the sake of a demo.

Eh, that sounds pretty negative, and getting your game out into the public eye is incredibly important, so demo = good and E3 (in general) = good, but there's still gotta be a better way.

thx very much again roland!

[quote name='roland13x']Naruto UNS - 132k [includes all versions][/quote]
Nooo. ;___;

Unlimited Storm is awesome, should've bigger numbers. ~_~

I'm also quite curious about the first month numbers of the new House of the Dead, next month should be interesting. (and especially March numbers too with Pokemon Platinum, MadWorld, Residen Evil 5 and others. :D)

[quote name='roland13x']

SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1 - 16k (Wii) 25k (PSP) 28k (PS2)
King of Fighters Collection: The Orochi Saga - 5k (Wii) 17k (PSP) 30k (PS2)

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the numbers. I wonder if the big difference in the numbers has to do with the Wii version's MSRP being $29.99 while the PS2's was $14.99.

The price difference comment reminds me. Star Trek: Conquest PS2/Wii? And along those lines Star Trek: Tactical Assault DS/PSP?

I had fun with the games, but I kind of doubt they sold too well. :lol:

I'd just like to add that I feel guilty getting a used copy of DQ Rocket Slime. That game was pure joy and SE didn't see a cent of it from me.

[quote name='donny2112']The price difference comment reminds me. Star Trek: Conquest PS2/Wii? And along those lines Star Trek: Tactical Assault DS/PSP?

I had fun with the games, but I kind of doubt they sold too well. :lol:[/QUOTE]

ST: Conquest - 57k (PS2) 36k (Wii)
ST: Tactical Assault - 28k (PSP) 44k (DS)

As one of my first QA gigs, I worked on Bridge Commander for the PC, which remains one of my favorite ST titles. And I thought the Legacy game was pretty good too.

ST: Legacy - 104k (360)

[quote name='camelking6969']roland i looked but could not find, what about gta-san andreas and gta iv[/QUOTE]

Only have PS2 from the last gen, so that's what you get with SA.

GTA: SA - 8.16M [includes both versions] [top selling PS2 game by far, 1.1M more than 2nd place GTA: VC]
GTA IV - 3.31M (360) [#3 selling 360 game] 1.92M (PS3) [#1 selling PS3 game] [includes CE version]

[quote name='roland13x']ST: Conquest - 57k (PS2) 36k (Wii)

As one of my first QA gigs, I worked on Bridge Commander for the PC, which remains one of my favorite ST titles. And I thought the Legacy game was pretty good too.

ST: Legacy - 104k (360)[/quote]
That doesn't give me a lot of hope about future Trek titles (which I'm sure have a huge licensing fee). I thought Legacy was decent but could of been better. Bridge Commander on the other hand is one of the best Trek games I've played and is an all around good game.

[quote name='roland13x']GTA IV - 3.31M (360) [#3 selling 360 game] 1.92M (PS3) [#1 selling PS3 game] [includes CE version][/QUOTE]

Those numbers speak for themselves.

[quote name='roland13x']Only have PS2 from the last gen, so that's what you get with SA.

GTA: SA - 8.16M [includes both versions] [top selling PS2 game by far, 1.1M more than 2nd place GTA: VC]
GTA IV - 3.31M (360) [#3 selling 360 game] 1.92M (PS3) [#1 selling PS3 game] [includes CE version][/quote]
thats a lot of games

[quote name='roland13x']ST: Conquest - 57k (PS2) 36k (Wii)

ST: Legacy - 104k (360)[/QUOTE]

Thanks. :) I thought the gameplay of ST:Conquest was pretty good, but there was zero real story and no multi-player. I had hoped that they could expand the gameplay into a full game, but it looks like that's not going to happen. :lol: Star Trek: Tactical Assault, on the other hand, was a great flushed out game. Great story,
unlockable (and harder) second storyline
, multiplayer (with bots). Using the touchscreen for the controls worked great. I guess there's just not a lot of market for Star Trek games, at the moment.

Does anyone know if a Star Trek game based on the
completely rewriting Trek history
movie is in the works?

[quote name='kloxpark']hey roland, could you make a system comparison for Sega Superstars Tennis? Quite curious. :)[/QUOTE]

Sega Superstar Tennis - 28k (360) 25k (PS3) 150k (Wii) 101k (DS) 42k (PS2)

Hope those ports were cheaply developed...

[quote name='neocisco']What's the breakdown on the Hot Coffee version before the second edition?;)[/QUOTE]

NPD doesn't separate re-rated games, so GTA: SA and Oblivion are tracked as one SKU.

[quote name='donny2112']Does anyone know if a Star Trek game based on the
completely rewriting Trek history
movie is in the works?[/QUOTE]

Highly doubt it. About a year ago we were approached by Paramount to make a Trek WiiWare title for the upcoming movie. Needless to say, I don't have much faith in Paramount's gaming division.

[quote name='roland13x']Highly doubt it. About a year ago we were approached by Paramount to make a Trek WiiWare title for the upcoming movie. Needless to say, I don't have much faith in Paramount's gaming division.[/QUOTE]

:( A $10 WiiWare title would probably make more sense, if they were concerned about the risk of making a full-length game, though.

[quote name='roland13x']Sega Superstar Tennis - 28k (360) 25k (PS3) 150k (Wii) 101k (DS) 42k (PS2)

Hope those ports were cheaply developed...[/QUOTE]

There's probably over a million of the 360 version out there, though, as it was included with the Arcade SKU last year. It just wouldn't be tracked in NPD. SEGA would've still made some money on the bundled sale, though less than a full retail sale, right? If so, they could've made back their entire development budget for the game on the 360 version alone. :D

To see how the Madden generational transition is going, can you post PS2 Madden 06/07/08/09, 360 Madden 06/09, and Wii 07/08/09 sales? You previously posted the 360 07/08 and the PS3 07/08/09 sales, so with those we could do a rough comparison. It won't be completely fair, as we don't have GCN/XBX Madden numbers for 06/07/08, though.

Essentially, does the Madden audience seem to be growing, shrinking, or stagnant across the consoles?

Thanks! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='neocisco']I was being somewhat facetious but thanks for the clarification.[/QUOTE]

Figured you were, but there's no dumb questions...only dumb answers. This is proof of that.

[quote name='donny2112']There's probably over a million of the 360 version out there, though, as it was included with the Arcade SKU last year. It just wouldn't be tracked in NPD. SEGA would've still made some money on the bundled sale, though less than a full retail sale, right? If so, they could've made back their entire development budget for the game on the 360 version alone. :D

To see how the Madden generational transition is going, can you post PS2 Madden 06/07/08/09, 360 Madden 06/09, and Wii 07/08/09 sales? You previously posted the 360 07/08 and the PS3 07/08/09 sales, so with those we could do a rough comparison. It won't be completely fair, as we don't have GCN/XBX Madden numbers for 06/07/08, though.

Essentially, does the Madden audience seem to be growing, shrinking, or stagnant across the consoles?

Thanks! :)[/QUOTE]

True, Sega got a nice licensing fee for use of the game in the non-NPD tracked Arcade SKUKs. Still unless it was a big seller in Europe or Japan, can't imagine Sega people are happy about it.

My initial guess is that this is going to trend pretty much along the lines of console install bases. Let's see...

[includes LE/CE versions]

Madden 01 - 938k (PS2)
Madden 02 - 2.00M (PS2)
Madden 03 - 2.73M (PS2)
Madden 04 - 3.45M (PS2)
Madden 05 - 3.72M (PS2)
Madden 06 - 553k (360) 3.31M (PS2)
Madden 07 - 1.48M (360) 386k (PS3) 378k (Wii) 3.20M (PS2)
Madden 08 - 1.84M (360) 795k (PS3) 651k (Wii) 2.25M (PS2)
Madden 09 - 1.92M (360) 1.19M (PS3) 630k (Wii) 1.14M (PS2)

Madden is 5 of the top 10 PS2 titles by sales.

[quote name='roland13x']Figured you were, but there's no dumb questions...only dumb answers. This is proof of that.[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='roland13x']True, Sega got a nice licensing fee for use of the game in the non-NPD tracked Arcade SKUKs. Still unless it was a big seller in Europe or Japan, can't imagine Sega people are happy about it.[/QUOTE]

It sold between 100K and 200K on the 360 and Wii in the U.K. It's still not huge sales, but better for the 360, at least. I think Sonic usually does relatively well in the U.K., though. I don't think it's been released in Japan, yet.

[quote name='roland13x']My initial guess is that this is going to trend pretty much along the lines of console install bases. Let's see...

[includes LE/CE versions]

Madden 01 - 938k (PS2)
Madden 02 - 2.00M (PS2)
Madden 03 - 2.73M (PS2)
Madden 04 - 3.45M (PS2)
Madden 05 - 3.72M (PS2)
Madden 06 - 553k (360) 3.31M (PS2)
Madden 07 - 1.48M (360) 386k (PS3) 378k (Wii) 3.20M (PS2)
Madden 08 - 1.84M (360) 795k (PS3) 651k (Wii) 2.25M (PS2)
Madden 09 - 1.92M (360) 1.19M (PS3) 630k (Wii) 1.14M (PS2)[/QUOTE]

01 - 0.9m
02 - 2.0m
03 - 2.7m
04 - 3.5m
05 - 3.7m
06 - 3.9m
07 - 5.4m
08 - 5.5m (PS2 = -1m, 360+PS3+Wii = +1m)
09 - 4.9m (PS2 = -1m, 360+PS3+Wii = +0.5m)

'09 hasn't been out as long as the others, so that may be a good part of the reason for the drop. Still, it looks like the userbase seems to be pretty stagnant (though very, very large) for the past three years after significant growth in the years prior. Looking at individual versions, the 360 looks to be plateauing, the PS3 is still showing significant growth, while the Wii actually went back some (again, '09 hasn't been out as long).

It looks like EA needs to figure out a way to get the Wii audience on-board more. Personally, I didn't like the All-Play idea, anyways. Maybe market a "Wii Football" and drop the Madden name? It could even be released in parallel with a normal Wii Madden version, but targeted more toward the arcade crowd versus the simulation crowd. If it's done well enough, it could even give regular Madden buyers a reason to double-dip on the yearly releases.

Thanks again for posting all this information! :)

Don't forget, those PS2 numbers leave out the XBOX and GC sales. So in actuality, it looks like the series has been selling the same for about the past decade or so. I imagine if you go back to '01 most of the sales were still on PS1.

A Wii version of football by EA would look something like this:

41MA8MSYS-L._SL500_AA266_.jpg

Remember that game? No? Good... :)

Last edited:
roland, could you make a Tomb Raider: Anniversary & Underworld - comparison?

UK:
[PS2] Tomb Raider: Anniversary - 100,000 - 199,999
[WII] Tomb Raider: Anniversary - 100,000 - 199,999
[360] Tomb Raider: Anniversary -

Hey roland, sorry to impose on you, but do you know the sale figure for Growlanser: Heritage of War for PS2? Your old figure is 5708, but vgchartz says the lifetime sale of it thus far has been 110,000. I'm wondering why there's a huge disparity, save for them pulling numbers out of their ass.

[quote name='kloxpark']roland, could you make a Tomb Raider: Anniversary & Underworld - comparison?

UK:
[PS2] Tomb Raider: Anniversary - 100,000 - 199,999
[WII] Tomb Raider: Anniversary - 100,000 - 199,999
[360] Tomb Raider: Anniversary -

[quote name='elwood731']Don't forget, those PS2 numbers leave out the XBOX and GC sales. So in actuality, it looks like the series has been selling the same for about the past decade or so. I imagine if you go back to '01 most of the sales were still on PS1.[/QUOTE]

I think this is a correct assessment. There were many copies of Madden sold for the XBOX and GC, and the totals would probably come to around 5 mil. However, there is no way they were that high in 2001 with the PS2 and PS1. Sales have been steadily growing (except for this year), but there is a very fragmented user base now. Curious to see what happens next!

[quote name='roland13x']Sure, let's do this!

TR:U - 94k (360) 124k (PS3) 55k (Wii)
TR:A - 82k (360) 93k (Wii) 243k (PS2)

Interesting that Underworld on PS3 is killing the 360 version. Pretty rare feat when that happens.[/quote]
Thx!

Same thing as in the UK, but the numbers aren't that good overall except from Anniversary (PS2), poor Lara. ;___;

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back