MAG Discussion Thread

I've been waiting for an excuse to play this game again and the sudden influx of Raven players is a good enough one. Just add me on PSN. I'm a level 56. (I think...)

I was wrong, I'm on Valor. Looking for some CAGs to play with to make this game a bit more enjoyable.

---
I'm liking my time with the game so far. One thing I'm really not a huge fan of is how the lower level players pretty much get nothing as far as weapons.. I found everyone to be tearing through me pretty quick until I got some skill points and upgraded my assault rifle. I was about a steady 4-13 every game before, and about 10-10 after. I was really tempted to say fuck it and try trading it for something else, but I'm glad I stuck with it.

Ive been playing this game non-stop and still haven't touched the squad leader position.

And i think im the only SVER CAG clan member still playing this game and its been like that for months :rofl:

[quote name='Oside_hunter']Is this game worth getting for a new PS3 owner, I like MW2 and BFBC2 is it similar?

Any insight would be appreciated :D[/QUOTE]
I would compare it more toward BFBC2 than MW2.

I loved MW2 and sold BFBC2 after a few days as much as I wanted to like it and get into it. not really my cup of tea I guess. IMO it takes the best of both worlds between the two. Haven't really thought about going back to MW2 since I've picked this game up.

In other words.. Yes. It's worth looking into. If you want to go the used route, you can get it for $25 online at GS right now after the 20pre and saver coupons, + edge discount. I would say it's a must have at that price point if you're into online FPS (and clearly you are). And even if for some reason you don't like it, you could always return it in store within 30 days.

I got this game in from gamefly 4 days ago and I'm loving it. Decided to be Valor and once I max my characters level I'll just move on. Really addicting and I'm loving Sabotage.

But I have a question. This started happening to me today. Everytime I'm about to finish a multiplayer match. The screen will go black instead of going to the exp gain screen. This has happened 3 times today and I usually have to hard shut down my ps3 (which I hate!). But the funny thing about the game doing this to me. I was messing around when the screen went black, pushing buttons and whatnot and I was firing my weapon! So has this happened to anybody else recently?

Lots of odd glitches too. The running backwards glitch and just recently today my gun wasn't in my hands, it was invisible. Pretty funny actually.

EDIT: Nevermind, did some searching on google and found out about 'the black screen of death'. Hopefully clearing the dust out of my console fixed it. Or I'm going to try a console reset.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does everyone like BC2 so much? I only played it once but didn't think it was THAT great. I think people just finally realized MW2 wasn't living up to the hype and went to the next big thing. I just wish more people would be moving to MAG instead...

I agree. Grabbed 2 copies back to back via Goozex (1 at 900 and 1 enroute at 850 points). Looks like a lot of people have been getting rid of it in the last 3-4 months. MW2 has moved on to Black Ops and BFBC2 Vietnam DLC won't be out until winter (I assume to compete with BO) so I wouldn't expect massive updates/DLC (you might get another 1 or 2 more) for these. When the new maps and other features come out next week for MAG, I'm sure they'll second guess their decision.

I just know there are a lot of people that played MAG for maybe 2 hours and then went back to MW2 and eventually traded it in for BC2. I have two friends that did this, total XP is under 1000. Others I know traded it before reaching level 50. It sucks because these people never really see what MAG is all about. I'm almost level 60 for the third time and the game just gets better and better. This is a game where you stay in it for the long haul and most people just don't have it.

I started playing a few weeks ago and am really enjoying this game. I have a lvl 35 valor guy named barrett71 and a low lvl raven alt named conine71. Add me if you are looking for someone to play with.

How can you make more than one character?

:edit: nvm I didn't see that it was a different account.

Can we somehow get an official CAG squad? I'm willing to start over if there's one faction we can all agree on. I'm enjoying this game but CAG nights always make online so much better in my eyes. What do you guys think?

[quote name='MillerTime2523']How can you make more than one character?

:edit: nvm I didn't see that it was a different account.

Can we somehow get an official CAG squad? I'm willing to start over if there's one faction we can all agree on. I'm enjoying this game but CAG nights always make online so much better in my eyes. What do you guys think?[/QUOTE]

I have been gone from this game for some time now. I am coming back in a couple of days. Is there anything that has changed since early march?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/06/22/get-mag-interdiction-today-double-xp-this-weekend/

The Interdiction update is out today for $9.99 with a double XP weekend coming this weekend:
Today is the day that MAG fans have been waiting for as our first major DLC, “Interdiction,” is now available for purchase from the PlayStation Store for $9.99 US (prices in other regions may vary)!

If you missed our post detailing Interdiction a few weeks back, allow us to sum it up for you:

http://www.viddler.com/explore/sceablog/videos/1061/2.368

MAG Interdiction is a brand new game mode built for 128 players. In it, two rival attacking factions fight to gain control of three different command posts while using armored convoys for every squad on the map (that’s right, 16 APCs onscreen at once!). To earn the victory, teams must capture and hold as many objectives as possible to increase their score while simultaneously decreasing their opponents’ score across three all-new “faction neutral” maps (Iron Creek Quarry, Lake Bayano Spur, and Sovot Motorway).

In addition to the new maps and gametype, Interdiction will also include the most powerful protection in the game, the “Heavy Improved” armor set, as well as a number of new in-game ribbons, medals and trophies. Here’s a reminder of what you can expect:

Ribbons

• Jump Start – Capture 2 Command Posts in a round of Interdiction
  • Mowing the Grass – Get 10 kills with a vehicle turret in one round
  • Dashed Hopes – Destroy 2 mines with gunfire in one round
  • Cannonball Rally – Become an MVP (1st, 2nd, or 3rd) in a round of Interdiction
Medals

• Roadside Assistance – Capture 10 Interdiction control points over your career
  • Landscape Architect – Get 50 kills with a vehicle turret over your career
  • BOD – Destroy 20 mines with gunfire over your career
  • Designated Driver – Earn 5 Interdiction MVPs over your career
Trophies

• King of the Hills (Bronze) – Earn the Roadside Assistance medal while playing Interdiction
  • Red Ball Express (Silver) – Earn the Designated Driver medal while playing Interdiction
  • Road Runner (Gold) – Capture 3 Interdiction control points in a single round
As a special “thank you” to everyone who’s playing MAG this week, we’re also bringing back our popular “Double XP” promotion over the weekend. That means that whether you purchase our new Interdiction DLC or not, you can expect to grab twice as much experience for your battlefield efforts starting Friday, June 25 at 12:01am Pacific Time (3:01am Eastern, 7:01am GMT). Just be sure to finish any game you start in order to benefit from the additional XP, as folks who leave a game early won’t receive the bonus. Our Double XP Weekend ends on Sunday, June 27 at 11:59pm Pacific Time (2:59am Eastern, 6:59am GMT).

Oh, and one final note: All MAG players will have to download a small “Interdiction Activation Patch” starting today. It’s only 4MB in size and prepares your copy of MAG to be compatible with the Interdiction game mode. Again, Interdiction itself can be downloaded later today from the PlayStation Store for $9.99 US and weighs in at 440MB.

Thanks to all our fans for keeping us going these past five months – see you on the Sovot!

Buying the DLC as soon as I'm home. As for double XP, I'm already at level 60 and I lose a bit of satisfaction when the bar is permanently full at the end of a match. I guess I'll vet again and all of my friends will continue to be scattered in different factions, kinda sucks.

The new maps are fun! Haven't tried the armor, I always use the 400cc for speed. I've basically been taking control of our APC in the new mode, making sure the idiots stay out of the drivers seat so it doesn't blow up every 2 minutes. I roll with the AG-94 with red dot scope, med kit, repair kit, and RPG. I spend my time driving, protecting and repairing our APC. It doesn't get me a lot of points, but its definately been winning the games. I'm starting to try squad leader out now because it seams like it fits with my driver role. I'm protected to call in strikes and I can drop the squad off at the objective and then head out for repairs. Great game mode.

Is the DLC shareable between accounts? I was thinking about starting up MAG again, but I have an account for each faction and would hate to be locked out.

[quote name='Rusk']Is the DLC shareable between accounts? I was thinking about starting up MAG again, but I have an account for each faction and would hate to be locked out.[/QUOTE]

Yes, unlike the first couple of DLCs, this one is shareable, and available to all accounts playing on the PS3

Am I the only one still playing this? There's a lot of new stuff coming up and I'm excited for it but it doesn't seam like anyone cares anymore.... but just in case here's some new things coming up:

Three-faction battles! 64+64+64 = 192 players! Simple maps with an emphasis on infantry combat, hell yeah.

New weapons! 9 in all: Assault rifle, 2nd tier sniper, and medium machine gun, one for each faction. (Real new weapons, not reskinned with adjusted stats)

Skill tree updates! Obviously the new weapons have to go somewhere but there should be some other adjustments as well.

More ammo! Extra clips for most weapons - NOT LMG. Good. I don't think the shottie needs it either but we'll see.

Knife friendlies! It's coming back, and they'll be making it instead so a friend can't stab you while you're interacting with something. I think its a great idea but it's gonna suck when it gets switched on and everyone still runs around slicing in the letters.

first new patch (two planned) is coming "in the next few weeks" but they haven't stated exactly what is included. "by the end of summer" we should see all of this.

Thats what I remember. If anyone is interested you can hear all of it in the latest Zipline podcast, and if you're still into this game there's a new episode every Friday. There's a lot more stuff mentioned that'll be coming eventually but with Socom 4 in the works they don't have unlimited resources so it's gonna be a long slow trickle and I'll be playing until its dry.

I still play MAG regularly so if there's any of you out there hit me up on psn:

Dude-Ranch-
Valor 4x Vet

I still play MAG every week (2 to three hours out of my 8 hour game time) so I've been following the game progress and will continue playing until the damn servers are turned off.

Now, I hate podcasts, so thank you for summing that one! Rudi usually continues answering questions from the podcast on the official forums, so anyone interested should take a look there for more news

[quote name='erequena']I still play MAG every week (2 to three hours out of my 8 hour game time) so I've been following the game progress and will continue playing until the damn servers are turned off.

Now, I hate podcasts, so thank you for summing that one! Rudi usually continues answering questions from the podcast on the official forums, so anyone interested should take a look there for more news[/QUOTE]

We got one! lol, it's just sad to see this thread sink so far when there's still a lot happening for the game. I guess I'll just sum it up every week to keep the thread going.

Need to get back into this game. Wish there was a legitimate cag clan / game night for this game, but I understand the lack of interest since not many people would be willing to change factions I'm sure. I wish you could have multiple characters on one account. That's my only real complaint about the game at this point.

I've gotten back into this game since they released Interdiction, which is a pretty fun game type. The double XP for directives has also really been great, since it's been spreading players out over the modes instead of everyone playing Sabotage over and over.

Is anyone in Raven? I want to get back into this game but not by my lonesome.

I'm more than decent after I get my groove back of course.

I'm currently on Raven (Lv 10 at the moment after vetting over the weekend) but eventually I'll be going back to Valor. Feel free to friend me if you want to group up

From the MAG blog

If you consider yourself the type of person who likes getting new video game features for free, then our next MAG patch — version 1.07, due in early August — is definitely something for you.
Yes friends, in just over a week from now, players will be treated to a number of features that you’ve been asking us for all summer in addition to a few surprises. Like what, you ask? Like these…

• A new “Happy Hour” Double XP bonus that’s applied to the first hour of any player’s gameplay session in a 24-hour period
  • Suppression will join Sabotage as a “Faction Neutral” gameplay mode, allowing any PMC to battle each other on any Suppression map!
  • Faster download and patching code that allows us to update MAG with more content and bigger file sizes in a speedier way
  • Redesigned versions of the Flores Basin (Raven) and Alyeska Terminus (Valor) Domination maps that include new obstacles and repaired exploits
  • New lighting effects for more attractive and realistic environments
  • Various fixes to address bugs or glitches to improve MAG’s overall performance
Of course, there are a number of other additions and fixes coming with MAG v1.07, but the points listed above should whet your appetites while you wait for the full list of changes closer to the update.

There's two on the top of page 60. It's the lowest in the poll though, but I doubt many of those people are still around.

I'll start a CAG clan thread if we get enough interest in a Raven group (or any faction for that matter).

I have an alternate account for Raven. I made it to help a friend of mine get the hell out of there! (his TV broke, and I had enough time to Vet out and do Valor and SVER before meeting back up with him on Valor) So my Raven account is hanging around level 30 I think.

I'd be willing to have a Raven clan night or something but I'd still be on my Valor account primarily so I can keep up with my friend and wherever we decide to go next.

My Raven account is THE-RAVENATOR-

P.S. You can stack the Happy Hour XP with the Directives bonus for 4x XP (when the patch is out)!

[quote name='SkankinRex']I have an alternate account for Raven. I made it to help a friend of mine get the hell out of there! (his TV broke, and I had enough time to Vet out and do Valor and SVER before meeting back up with him on Valor) So my Raven account is hanging around level 30 I think.

I'd be willing to have a Raven clan night or something but I'd still be on my Valor account primarily so I can keep up with my friend and wherever we decide to go next.

My Raven account is THE-RAVENATOR-

P.S. You can stack the Happy Hour XP with the Directives bonus for 4x XP (when the patch is out)![/QUOTE]

Which is freaking awesome! Lv 60 will be much easier to get now

There's a new Influence MAG poll going on by the way

give me more info on directives guys. I am thinking of picking this back up..

ALso if you download and share the extra maps... can all the friends you share the maps with play at once on those maps? Say if I buy the maps and share with 2-3 people can all of us play them at the same time?

[quote name='Snake2715']give me more info on directives guys. I am thinking of picking this back up..

ALso if you download and share the extra maps... can all the friends you share the maps with play at once on those maps? Say if I buy the maps and share with 2-3 people can all of us play them at the same time?[/QUOTE]

The Directives queue places you on the game with the longest queue times at the moment. If you complete the game you started you'll get an extra 100% of your battle experience (exp gained during the match). and once every 24hrs you'll get double experience on any game you play (so if you play directives during your first hour, you'll get 3 times the experience)

The Interdiction DLC is completely shareable, and not linked to your account/character, so anyone that downloads it to their PS3 will be bale to play simultaneously

An update from Gamescom:

18:57 James Gallagher:
MAG is going to be Move compatible - I had no idea.

It'll be interesting to see how the game changes with Move support and how they handle that with matchmaking.

I have no idea if this is news or not, but it looks like MAG is getting PS Move support. This comes via Sony's Gamescom keynote

edit: frisky you bastid!

Interesting... And completely out of theblue to be honest. Makes sense since Zipper is including Move support on SOCOM 4, I guess MAG will be the 'beta' of the move controls on a shooter.

Damn! the just posted on the MAG blog all of the new stuff coming and planned for MAG and man, there sure are good things coming!

If you’re a fan of our massive 256-player first-person shooter, MAG, then today’s news should be of great interest to you.
Truth be told, we have so many tremendous revisions coming to our “ever-changing global war” that it’s almost impossible to tell you about everything we have planned in a single article… but we have to begin somewhere, and we’re starting with PlayStation Move!
That’s right, later this Autumn MAG will offer full compatibility with the PlayStation Move! This added support means that users have another way to experience the most ambitious first-person shooter out there. Pinpoint accuracy and easy access to all of the game’s mechanics ensure that players of any type — be they hardened veterans or new recruits — can enjoy a shooting experience unlike any other.
But PlayStation Move support isn’t all we’re working on. Because our upcoming content is so important to the game and its future, we want your assistance to make sure we get it right! With that notion in mind we’re pleased to announce that, one week from today on August 24, we’re inviting existing MAG owners to take part in the all-new MAG Beta program!
Raven, SVER and Valor chill on Silverback Ridge.

What are you going to play and test, you ask? How about the oft-demanded “Clan Deploy” feature that allows clan leaders to choose any game type and queue up to 128 clan members for matches as a team? Sure, that’s a great start but we’re also bringing in a brand-new Skill tree system that improves how our character customization system works — complete with new skills and new abilities. What’s more is that we’re introducing an in-game economy system that allows users to earn “Credit Points” by completing objectives, finishing missions, and killing enemies. They can then spend those points to purchase new weapons and gear.
MAG Beta testers will also have the opportunity to try out our upcoming DLC game-type, “Escalation,” well before it becomes available. The most frenetic MAG game mode yet, Escalation offers three brand-new faction-neutral maps with never-before-seen environments that pit a total of 96 players from all three PMCs against each other simultaneously. For the first time ever, Raven, Valor and SVER will be on a single map going after the same objectives at the same time. It’s complete insanity and a whole lot of fun, and we can’t wait for you to try it out. As an added bonus, we’re including nine all-new weapons that add even more firepower to your already-sweet arsenal as well.
Radiant Barrens is hot!

That’s not all, of course, as we have plenty of other surprises in store for the new MAG Beta program that we haven’t mentioned yet — like the beta’s ability to support multiple character slots so that players can check out each PMC — but some things are best left for you to discover on your own.
To participate in the new MAG beta, all you have to do is download the client software from the PlayStation Store when it becomes available next week, insert your MAG disc into the PlayStation 3, sign-in to the beta client and… BOOM! You’re good to go. Reminder: You must have the MAG disc in your PS3 in order for the new beta client to work.
Amazingly, today’s announcement only scratches the surface of what’s planned for MAG’s future. That’s why we’re updating the Official MAG Blog constantly over the next few weeks with new and more detailed information of what you can look forward to. We’re even holding a special edition of our popular Zipline Podcast this Friday that will answer your questions about our future plans with special guest, Zipper Game Director Seth Luisi (if you have a question for the podcast, post it here)!
As always, the entire team at Zipper Interactive would like to thank you, our fans, for your feedback, loyalty and enthusiasm. Your continued support is what makes MAG what it is today, and it’s what inspires us to to make it better.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/08/18/mag-moves-plus-the-new-beta-program/

Beta details:
We have tremendous plans for our “ever-changing global war” that is MAG — and we’re starting with PlayStation Move!

That’s right, later this Autumn MAG will offer full compatibility with the PlayStation Move! This added support means that users have another way to experience the most ambitious first-person shooter out there. Pinpoint accuracy and easy access to all of the game’s mechanics ensure that players of any type — be they hardened veterans or new recruits — can enjoy a shooting experience unlike any other.

But PlayStation Move support isn’t all we’re working on. Because our upcoming content is so important to the game and its future, we want your assistance to make sure we get it right! With that notion in mind we’re pleased to announce that, one week from today on August 24, we’re inviting existing MAG owners to take part in the all-new MAG Beta program!

What are you going to play and test, you ask? How does this hit you?

• Escalation Game Type — battle it out with all three factions at once on three never-before-seen maps
  • New Weapons — each PMC has access to three new guns (9 total) for added firepower
  • Clan Deploy — a highly-requested community feature that allows clan leaders to launch games with up to 128 clan members in a single match
  • Updated Skill Tree — enjoy more customization than you’ve ever had before with new skills and an improved progression system
  • In-game Economy System — earn “credit points” by completing objectives and killing enemies to purchase new weapons and gear
  • Additional Character Slots — Create a persona for Raven, Valor and SVER on one account for maximum testing flexibility
To participate in the new MAG beta, all you have to do is download the client software from the PlayStation Store when it becomes available next week, insert your MAG disc into the PlayStation 3, sign-in to the beta client and… BOOM! You’re good to go. Reminder: You must have the MAG disc in your PS3 in order for the new beta client to work.

Amazingly, today’s announcement only scratches the surface of what’s planned for MAG’s future. That’s why we’re updating the Official MAG Blog constantly over the next few weeks with new and more detailed information of what you can look forward to, including a post today that explores, in detail, the complexities of our new Escalation game mode.

As always, the entire team at Zipper Interactive would like to thank you, our fans, for your feedback, loyalty and enthusiasm. Your continued support is what makes MAG what it is today, and it’s what inspires us to keep striving to make it better.

More on the new game mode:

MAG Escalation: A Closer Look

posted by Jeremy Dunham, August 18, 2010 10:29 am
If you caught our previous blog update, you already know that the upcoming “Escalation” game mode will be available for play in our new MAG Beta program starting August 24. What you don’t know, however, is what Escalation is and how it works, which is exactly what we’re about to show you.
Simply put, Escalation is a simultaneous three-faction battle for resources that supports up to 96 players, or one 32-man platoon for each PMC. The ultimate goal for each Escalation map is to earn the maximum number of points before time runs out or, if time does expire, to have the most points overall. Whichever team meets this goal wins the map and some additional Shadow War points for the cause.

Points are gained as Raven, SVER and Valor vie for control of wind, thermal and solar energy objectives — but it’s not as easy as just “running to all your objectives” and holding them until the end. Instead, Escalation is made up of two phases:
For the initial phase, all three teams fight it out to hold the map’s A, B and C objectives — but when any of the three teams gains control of two of these objectives, the second phase kicks off. In this second phase, the original three objectives are locked and a brand-new fourth objective (D) is opened up. The mission now challenges the PMC that took the two objectives originally to defend D against both attacking groups as long as possible; if the D objective is lost, then play reverts back to phase 1 again and the war continues on until we have a winner.

In practice, Escalation is a ton of fun and has been the subject of countless post-game “wow” conversations internally here at Zipper. Of course, one of the main reasons our reactions have been so strong — outside the obvious madness that comes with all three factions battling it out at once — are the maps that go along with it. All three Escalation environments are all unlike any that have been seen in MAG before. Whether it’s the sunny beaches of “Isla de Magma,” the mountains of “Silverback Ridge,” or the desert wasteland of “Radiant Barrens,” the locales are as fascinating as they are colossal. Besides, any MAG game mode that lets you fight out in the heart of a sweltering volcano gets automatic fun points — it’s just a fact of life.

To check out Escalation for yourself, be sure to download the new MAG Beta client from the PlayStation Store for free starting August 24. Keep in mind that you will have to have the retail version of MAG in order for the client to work and that the time and access to the beta may be limited, so you won’t want to miss it.

:applause::applause::applause:

[quote name='SkankinRex']You can't avoid MAG any longer Snake....[/QUOTE]

Thats great. I just read that thread and hit activate on goozex. I am calling two buddies as well. Then I read your post !! . I am back next week and pretty pumped.

I'm totally game for that type of map. I've been digging Interdiction, but glad they have more stuff in the works. Especially the talk of new weapons. And it sounds like they're going to TF2 route and making you work for it. Which I like, but I'm sure kids and whiners will bitch about it in the game.

Has anybody gotten the armchair general ribbon yet? My most kills on that turret is maybe 17, I don't know what it is. Like if I'm on the ground and visible to that turret, I get gunned down, but If I'm in a seat it's a whole different thing. The chest candy trophy glitched on me, but I still want to earn the ribbon.

Is it worth picking this up off Goozex for 800 points? Are there still plenty of people who play, or will I have a hard time finding games with a decent amount of people?

[quote name='SEH']Is it worth picking this up off Goozex for 800 points? Are there still plenty of people who play, or will I have a hard time finding games with a decent amount of people?[/QUOTE]

I've got no ida how much is 800 Goozex points, but the game is worth it (If you ask me it's still worth the $60 from release)

There's more than enough people to play the game. This week a new 'Beta' will start that should bring back a lot of players and I believe even some new ones, so this would be a great moment to join in on the fun

bread's done
Back