MAG Discussion Thread

[quote name='erequena']I've got no ida how much is 800 Goozex points, but the game is worth it (If you ask me it's still worth the $60 from release)

There's more than enough people to play the game. This week a new 'Beta' will start that should bring back a lot of players and I believe even some new ones, so this would be a great moment to join in on the fun[/QUOTE]

I almost forgot about the beta, thanks for reminding me!

And answer to the question about finding matches. The game I usually have to wait a bit for is Interdiction. The game type is fun, it's just a bunch of people don't have the dlc. Sabo is one of the most played types and it's easy to find a game. The bigger maps like Domination usually takes around 5 minutes, but it's a 30 minute match.

[quote name='erequena']I've got no ida how much is 800 Goozex points, but the game is worth it (If you ask me it's still worth the $60 from release)

There's more than enough people to play the game. This week a new 'Beta' will start that should bring back a lot of players and I believe even some new ones, so this would be a great moment to join in on the fun[/QUOTE]

800 Goozex points is basically equal to $40. I'm still somewhat undecided. I've watched numerous reviews and whatnot but I'm still on the fence.

Cant wait to play the new stuff, Ive been really enjoying the latest patch, hoping to finally make it to level 60 on Raven with my limited playing time. But now i kind of want to wait for multiple character slots so i can keep my level 60 Raven character.

You can copy that character over to the beta and use him with the increased level cap, which is one of the things they're testing for. I don't think they're increasing character slots for the main game, but just the beta so everybody can have access to all three sides.

I'm not really a fan of them using the same style of beta as they did before the launch (limited play time, limited access). I just hope it doesn't require huge 2.6 GB patches every time they update the beta:

Hey everyone! This is just a friendly head’s up that our new MAG Beta program launches tomorrow, August 24, on the PlayStation Store. All you have to do to participate is download it when it becomes available, put your MAG disc into the PlayStation 3, and start the beta client from the “Game” section of the XMB.

Please Note: You MUST have a MAG retail disc in your PlayStation 3 in order for the MAG Beta client to work

Once you’ve logged on to the server and your pre-existing MAG character has been copied to its universe (don’t worry, the copy-over won’t affect your main character), you can then access our beta server in two separate sessions per weekday — with each session lasting four hours apiece every Monday through Friday. Listed below are the session times for multiple time zones.

Session 1

• Hawaii: 5am-9am
  • Alaska: 7am-11am
  • Pacific: 8am-12pm
  • Mountain: 9am-1pm
  • Central: 10am-2pm
  • Eastern: 11am-3pm
  • GMT: 3pm-7pm
Session 2

• Hawaii: 1pm-5pm
  • Alaska: 3pm-7pm
  • Pacific: 4pm-8pm
  • Mountain: 5pm-9pm
  • Central: 6pm-10pm
  • Eastern: 7pm-11pm
  • GMT: 11pm-3am
We will limit the number of players that can access the beta environment for the first few days of launch to track stability and increase that player limit as we progress. If you get a message that the server is full, try back again later!

Now that you’re here, there are a number of areas that we’d love for you to test:

• An increased level cap
  • The new economy system
  • Our revamped skill tree
To deliver feedback and report bugs, visit our official MAG forums at forums.mag.com. Go to the “MAG Beta Program 2010″ subsection and choose to discuss your experience with fellow fans in the “Beta General Discussion” board, or describe any problems you may be having in the “Beta Issues and Bug Reports” board.

During this testing period, we’re looking for as much feedback as possible — specifically in regards to the new Economy and Skills systems; including…

Economy feedback items

• Basic pricing of items — is it too cheap or too expensive?
  • Level requirements for items — is it too low or high?
  • Basic usability and layout — do you like/dislike it and why?
Skill feedback items

• Do any skills seem overpowered or underpowered?
  • Skill placement – any skill branches too late/early in a tree?
Escalation Game-type

• Is it fun? If it isn’t, why not? If it is, why is it?
On behalf of everyone at Zipper Interactive, thank you for your time and participation in the MAG Beta program. We hope you have fun!
http://blog.mag.com/blog/2010/08/reminder-new-mag-beta-tomorrow/

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']You can copy that character over to the beta and use him with the increased level cap, which is one of the things they're testing for. I don't think they're increasing character slots for the main game, but just the beta so everybody can have access to all three sides.[/QUOTE]

According to the first mention of the beta it says it will support multiple character slots. Now im not sure if you can import and level up 3 differnt PMC's but it sure would be nice.

http://blog.mag.com/blog/2010/08/mag-moves-plus-our-new-beta-program/

"That’s not all, of course, as we have plenty of other surprises in store for the new MAG Beta program that we haven’t mentioned yet — like the beta’s ability to support multiple character slots so that players can check out each PMC — but some things are best left for you to discover on your own."

[quote name='SEH']800 Goozex points is basically equal to $40. I'm still somewhat undecided. I've watched numerous reviews and whatnot but I'm still on the fence.[/QUOTE]

Well you could always rent it. You get access to the beta just by having a disc. This is a game that is not for everyone, but you won't know until you try it. Even then it might need to grow on you...lol. But for the ones that have stuck with it, we all have a hard time putting it down. I'm nearing 300 hours since launch day and this is the first online FPS I've ever tried to compete in.

It wasn't a good idea to limit the beta to the people that get on first, as it's completely overloaded the update servers. They should've had the whole beta file be ~900 MB and not the in-game update.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It wasn't a good idea to limit the beta to the people that get on first, as it's completely overloaded the update servers. They should've had the whole beta file be ~900 MB and not the in-game update.[/QUOTE]

It is rather slow. I've been updating for a couple hours and I'm around 60% done. I might get a chance tonite. :whee:

For those still waiting, here's a vid of the new skill tree and equipment page. I'm really liking how they have the skill tree set up.

MAG skill tree and equipment

Downloaded it before I left to run some errands, hopefully it'll be finished by the time I get back. Though I was also downloading Shank and some demos, so who knows :lol:

Can't wait to jump into the beta though, I've been on a major MAG kick since Interdiction came out.

[quote name='andrhalp']which faction is the best. ive heard there all about even but does any one have any prefrences[/QUOTE]

I was doing some reading on this, and it appears SVER has more people on it as well as the best weapons. Things may have changed though since the stuff I was reading was a few months old.

Looks like we'll be getting two new character slots next week (for a price):

We’re happy to report that our MAG Beta is quite a success in its early days of existence and we’re even happier to announce that we’re already bringing one of its most useful features to the retail game.

Starting next week on August 31, we’re giving players the option to create and maintain multiple characters in the MAG universe! Though players are limited to one character at a time in our current setup, our new multi-character option gives you up to two additional slots to house your alter egos. This means that, for the first time ever, you’ll have the ability to float characters on Raven, SVER and Valor at the same time and never have to worry about leaving one team to try another. Of course, you can always choose to use all three slots for characters from the same PMC if you want, but that’s entirely up to you!

So how do you get these extra slots to work? It’s easy – From August 31 forward, two additional slots will appear on the character log-in screen with links to the PlayStation Store. For $0.99 (US) per additional slot, you can click the space of your choice and unlock the extra character. Your new subscription will last for 30 days from the day you purchased it, giving you a full month to try out your extra warrior. And don’t worry if you don’t renew one month, and decide to come back later – even if you don’t use your additional characters from month to month, he is never actually deleted – just asleep until you come back to claim him again in a future subscription.

Note: Though the two additional character slots will appear in North America on August 31, the characters themselves may not be immediately available for purchase until later in the day following the normal PlayStation Store update.

We hope you enjoy the added freedom that our extra character slots potentially provide and look forward to fighting with and against you once again!

Agreed.

I might be buying Escalation when it comes out, but I highly doubt I'll get this. If I wanted more character slots, I would do what other people would do. Create new psn accounts.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']That sucks that it's a limited unlock. If they're going to do that, they should at least offer a permanent unlock option for $4.99 or $9.99.[/QUOTE]

Agreed i would be much more prone to buying a permanent unlock than a monthly one. This is the same reason i dont get into MMO's. I would spend $9.99 per character slot, they should at least offer both. And maybe even offer a 2 slot bundle for $17.99. i would buy either instantly.

Alright, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to snag this from Goozex. Is there a CAG night I should know about and a certain faction I should join?

wow its been months. searched the beta and downloaded then did the updates...

Jumped into the beta for 1 game prior to 11 pm here...

Happy I got the game back. Also wow what a change. The skill trees are crazy.. i had no idea all my loadouts where changed. so i was a sitting duck in the beta, and not prepared... oh well.

I like the way they've altered the skill trees, though it seems like I'd have to be doing really well with a new character to get a decent amount of money for the shop. The way that certain weapons and items are locked from being used until you're at a high enough level, the loadout screen doesn't tell you which items are off-limits or not. So you just get a "Failed to Save Loadout" message when trying to save that was confusing until I figured out why that was happening.

I really have no clue what is going on in Extraction. I understand that there's a need to capture the A, B, and/or C points to unlock D to fill up your score bar, but why it constantly switches back and who owns each point is not explained at all. I end up just going to the current objective, try to shoot some guys before seeing that D has unlocked, heading over to D, and probably die from a shot or knife from out of nowhere and starting over again. Each spawn requires a lot of running to an objective and it seems like everybody is still getting a handle on what the mode is all about, so the games I've been in have been heavily lop-sided.

I tried so many times to jump into games this morning, but didn't have any luck. Nothing but error messages. Hoping I'll have better luck tomorrow.

I'm really digging the new skill tree setup, seems like it'll put a lot more emphasis on specializing your character into more specific roles. The store seems like a really cool idea, I like that certain things like reflex sights and suppressors are universal, and that I can sell off the guns (sniper rifles) I don't really use.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I really have no clue what is going on in Extraction. I understand that there's a need to capture the A, B, and/or C points to unlock D to fill up your score bar, but why it constantly switches back and who owns each point is not explained at all. I end up just going to the current objective, try to shoot some guys before seeing that D has unlocked, heading over to D, and probably die from a shot or knife from out of nowhere and starting over again. Each spawn requires a lot of running to an objective and it seems like everybody is still getting a handle on what the mode is all about, so the games I've been in have been heavily lop-sided.[/QUOTE]

To my understanding, one team has to control two points for D to be unlocked. Once D is unlocked the energy bar begins to fill for that fraction. The thing is, there's usually the opposing fraction in D already camping. I'm not sure how D becomes locked and opens the other points up though.

But I do feel that gametype is a blast. I think the knife may be a bit over powered, but I love the new sprinting.

Finally got into a game today, but Escalation was locked :bomb:. I did get to jump into a Domination and Acquisition game, and things definitely feel a bit different, I noticed a lot of new little animations here and there with things like switching weapons and using explosives. I also like the new grenade radar, which makes it way easier to at least know where those random grenades end up falling.

[quote name='defmonkey05']To my understanding, one team has to control two points for D to be unlocked. Once D is unlocked the energy bar begins to fill for that fraction. The thing is, there's usually the opposing fraction in D already camping. I'm not sure how D becomes locked and opens the other points up though.

But I do feel that gametype is a blast. I think the knife may be a bit over powered, but I love the new sprinting.[/QUOTE]
I get that, but it's hard to tell who owns what points in the game since they're just red or blue on the HUD and people tend to continue fighting around those points even when D opens up.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I get that, but it's hard to tell who owns what points in the game since they're just red or blue on the HUD and people tend to continue fighting around those points even when D opens up.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. Other's have said that if one of the opposing teams controls whatever point, that it should be colored by their team. So if Valor controlled D. D should be green.

[quote name='SEH']Alright, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to snag this from Goozex. Is there a CAG night I should know about and a certain faction I should join?[/QUOTE]

Got the game, which faction has the most active CAGs?

[quote name='defmonkey05']I totally agree. Other's have said that if one of the opposing teams controls whatever point, that it should be colored by their team. So if Valor controlled D. D should be green.[/QUOTE]

Pardon my ignorance, but why would you need to know? In th end if it's red it's under enemy command, so you have to take it. Unless you intend to not shoot the other team that isn't holding it either (of course, you might not be so lucky).

Maybe what is needed is a way for SL or PL to communicate with one of the other team's leaders to make temporary alliances

[quote name='erequena']Pardon my ignorance, but why would you need to know? In th end if it's red it's under enemy command, so you have to take it. Unless you intend to not shoot the other team that isn't holding it either (of course, you might not be so lucky).

Maybe what is needed is a way for SL or PL to communicate with one of the other team's leaders to make temporary alliances[/QUOTE]

I agree with that.

But sometimes they just get in the way shooting at you. This has happened time and time again. More coordination is needed with this type of game. And it's really too big. If they threw in the apc's that would make it better.

[quote name='erequena']Pardon my ignorance, but why would you need to know? In th end if it's red it's under enemy command, so you have to take it. Unless you intend to not shoot the other team that isn't holding it either (of course, you might not be so lucky).

Maybe what is needed is a way for SL or PL to communicate with one of the other team's leaders to make temporary alliances[/QUOTE]

I agree with that.

But sometimes they just get in the way shooting at you. This has happened time and time again. More coordination is needed with this type of game. And it's really too big. If they threw in the apc's that would make it better.

I do have a raven account on the beta now. Can I get an invite to the clan?

Nothing really happened with the clan unfortunately... I think the only way for it to work is to have a designated clan night where we get together. I would gladly play on my alternate Raven account if we can get that together. For now, I'm 4 levels away from being a 6x vet and going back to all my friends on Valor.

[quote name='SkankinRex']Nothing really happened with the clan unfortunately... I think the only way for it to work is to have a designated clan night where we get together. I would gladly play on my alternate Raven account if we can get that together. For now, I'm 4 levels away from being a 6x vet and going back to all my friends on Valor.[/QUOTE]

Okay, that's cool. I knew Raven was the preferred pmc, I have some friends from the Uncharted mutli days trying to get back together and on one pmc. I have one buddy keep talking about playing MAG again and two on Valor that might be willing to goto Raven, but not SVER X^D.

I'll be a 4x vet if I go back to Valor after maxing my character on Raven. Haven't decided if I wanted to yet. That new sniper rifle is really convincing though. :applause:

I joined up with the SVER faction. I'm only level four though, so if I should join a different group, let me know. Otherwise, my PSN is SlurringRhythms if anyone wants to play sometime. I should be on for a little bit tonight.

Whats the deal with the massive amount of TK'ers and little kids mic spamming? Every game I join has like five or six people just team killing at spawn and like two or three little kids just yelling on the mic.

[quote name='SEH']Whats the deal with the massive amount of TK'ers and little kids mic spamming? Every game I join has like five or six people just team killing at spawn and like two or three little kids just yelling on the mic.[/QUOTE]

IDK I just left SVER and didn't have that problem at all. It reminds me of my days back in Raven. Honestly I've seen that plenty of times before but I haven't had many problems with it in a while. Don't let it get you down, and try not to kill them back. I learned that last night when someone shot me in the back at spawn so I turned around and killed him. He kept coming after me and I won every duel....then I got booted from the game for teamkilling.

[quote name='SEH']Whats the deal with the massive amount of TK'ers and little kids mic spamming? Every game I join has like five or six people just team killing at spawn and like two or three little kids just yelling on the mic.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='SkankinRex']IDK I just left SVER and didn't have that problem at all. It reminds me of my days back in Raven. Honestly I've seen that plenty of times before but I haven't had many problems with it in a while. Don't let it get you down, and try not to kill them back. I learned that last night when someone shot me in the back at spawn so I turned around and killed him. He kept coming after me and I won every duel....then I got booted from the game for teamkilling.[/QUOTE]

I hate to generalize anyone or a particular group, but Raven are notorious for TKing. After about 2 months of people TKing, letting teams capture A and B so they can rack up points at C (and lose) as well as no one speaking english past 2:00 am EST (as well as talking crap about Americans), I left and deleted that profile. Been in Sver and even joined a clan with some cool Gamers (which I don't do on any game). Now all is fine.

http://blog.mag.com/blog/2010/09/mag-2-0-coming-soon/

MAG 2.0 is on the way:
Everyone here at Zipper Interactive is extremely proud to announce that our next downloadable MAG update, MAG 2.0, is not only our biggest and most important patch yet, but also one that’s less than a month away!

That’s right! All the feedback and suggestions you’ve made from countless hours spent playing our new MAG Beta program will pay off in the retail version of MAG in a very big way. We’re calling it “MAG 2.0″ for a reason and it’s because of the sheer number of fantastic new additions, including:

• PlayStation Move support
  • An increased level cap that goes to level 70
  • A revamped Skill Tree that allows for the deepest character customization and specialization ever found in a first-person shooter
  • A brand-new in-game economy that lets you earn credits to spend on weapons and items from the also-new “Supply Depot”
  • Our useful “Clan Deploy” feature that enables clan leaders and officers to queue up to 128 of their fellow clan members into a single game
  • A “MAG News” page that brings players up to date on all the latest happenings the moment they log in
  • A multitude of updates that refine existing weapons, maps, and vehicles
  • Important bug fixes and other enhancements that streamline the overall experience
We’ll have specifics as to what else is in the MAG 2.0 patch as we near its release. Oh, and before we go, don’t forget to keep an eye out for additional news in the near future regarding our next DLC pack, which includes our upcoming Escalation game-type and nine all-new weapons.

We hope that you’re just as excited to get your hands on MAG 2.0 as we are to give it to you, and we’ll see you again real soon!

[quote name='Mad39er']I keep wanting to try MAG out, I'm hoping somebody has a GH sale now that it's on the list.[/QUOTE]

You can get it from Gamefly for 18 or so. Go buy it now!

[quote name='MSUHitman']So I rented this to try it out with both regular and Move controls. What faction should I join?[/QUOTE]

Currently I'm on SVER but I wouldn't mind changing at all if I could get a few people to join on the same faction. I really want to get back into MAG with the new Move controls.

bread's done
Back