Monoprice.com - Need HDMI, Optical Audio, Component, or Other Cables, Get Them Here

Nephilim

CAGiversary!
Feedback
91 (100%)
I know a lot of you are probably aware of this place, but I just thought I would post this since I did not find a topic.

monoprice.com has long been known as the cheapest place to buy USB, Network, HDMI, and many other cables, period.

Their service is excellent as well.

Our business just ordered another round of Network and USB cables and saved close to $1000 compared to retail stores like Best Buy, etc.

We have had Network cables from monoprice throughout our building for a few years and have had NO ISSUES at all. Most of the cables in my home (S-Video, HDMI, USB, CAT5e, etc. are also from monoprice and they have been perfect.

The Quality of the cables I have bought has been as good or in many cases, much better than more expensive cables elsewhere.

I know there are other online retailers like Firefold that sell for similar prices, but I have not found their service to be near as good as monoprice.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first party cables should be $30 from Nintendo, although then you've got shipping, so...

I guess issues with TVs are the reason I don't skimp out on TVs either. It's more important than ever, since the quality of your TV's scaler is REAAAAAAALLY important if you play SD games like the Wii and Playstation 2. I keep saying it-Sony's modern HDTVs have fantastic scalers. I can't even tell my Wii is being scaled. I honestly can't.

ok, so I had some other issues with that tv and promply returned it to my local sears for cash... then drove over to circuit city and bought a bigger and better tv... 19 to 27 inch... proscan to olevia...

And now with the new TV the waves have dissappeared, so it apears that the tv I had just had crappy component ports, as it's very smooth now on my larger screen with the same 9 $ cables from monoprice. Hail monoprice as their cables are awesome (on a non-shitty tv... lol)

[quote name='triplehelix']ok, so I had some other issues with that tv and promply returned it to my local sears for cash... then drove over to circuit city and bought a bigger and better tv... 19 to 27 inch... proscan to olevia...

And now with the new TV the waves have dissappeared, so it apears that the tv I had just had crappy component ports, as it's very smooth now on my larger screen with the same 9 $ cables from monoprice. Hail monoprice as their cables are awesome (on a non-shitty tv... lol)[/quote]

Good to hear you're able to find out the problem and get it settled quickly. Nice jump in size too. I got a 27" olevia for my room, then cleaned it...returned it and got the 32" from CC.

For monoprice, I also like the fact that when they're OOS. There's a date to tell you when it'll be available and they can also send you an email. Nothing but positive on my end. Heh, one day when I place another order, I'm gonna drive down there myself (20ish mins away) and say thanks and isht to them.

Just got my 25ft monoprice SVGA (w/audio) cable in the mail... Screw monster, monoprice is the real deal. Even generic brands of the same cable at my local electronic stores were double and in some cases triple the cost of what monoprice offered.

And if you're really cheap sign up at gaminglagoon, they'll buy/order monoprice cables for you for filling out simple surveys, which is the ultimate cheap ass way of getting things. Use the link in my profile and be my first referral if you do decide to join. I got my cables as fast as I would have if I ordered them, gaminglagooon just had them shipped to me.

Above all else, use monoprice.... Great find CAG board!

amazing site! ordered component cables and fiber optic audio cables. all very high quality and much less than any store. THANKS MONOPRICE

Great company. Ships the next day. Ordered a bunch of different cables from them and got them within three days here in Alaska.

Damn, these guys are fast. I put in an order for another HDMI and couple more toslinks less than an hour ago and it's already prepped for delivery. Unreal.

[quote name='gunm']Damn, these guys are fast. I put in an order for another HDMI and couple more toslinks less than an hour ago and it's already prepped for delivery. Unreal.[/quote]They're very good at getting orders out fast. If your order gets in by 11amPST (I think), it's guaranteed to ship out that same business day.

why are some priced really high and some priced so low? is there THAT much of a difference between cables? I'm talking about HDMI cables male-2-male connections.

oh and i'm not singling this company out..i mean in general...why are some cables more expensive than others...besides the fact that they're longer in feet.

[quote name='Nephilim']I know most of you probably know about this place, but I just thought I would post this since I did not find a topic.

monoprice.com has long been known as the cheapest place to buy USB, Network, HDMI, and many other cables, period.

Their service is excellent as well.

Our business just ordered another round of Network and USB cables and saved close to $1000 compared to retail stores like Best Buy, etc.

We have had Network cables from monoprice throughout our building for a few years and have had NO ISSUES at all. Most of the cables in my home (S-Video, HDMI, USB, CAT5e, etc. are also from monoprice and they have been perfect.

The Quality of the cables I have bought has been as good or in many cases, much better than more expensive cables elsewhere.

I know there are other online retailers like Firefold that sell for similar prices, but I have not found their service to be near as good as monoprice.[/quote]

also add the site. newegg.com. 100ft cable for 8bucks.

Got me some cables here today. Cheapy, you need to see if you can get on there list of places customers were referred from.

[quote name='BelieveTheHype']why are some priced really high and some priced so low? is there THAT much of a difference between cables? I'm talking about HDMI cables male-2-male connections.

oh and i'm not singling this company out..i mean in general...why are some cables more expensive than others...besides the fact that they're longer in feet.[/QUOTE]

I'm no expert, but I think it's a combination of the quality of the cable, plus cables have huuuuuge mark ups. Kind of like how they sell you a game system for (relatively) cheap, and then sell accessories at massively marked up prices.

I just ordered a firewire cable last night and it is being shipped today. Great price too! I will definately do business again with them.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I'm no expert, but I think it's a combination of the quality of the cable, plus cables have huuuuuge mark ups. Kind of like how they sell you a game system for (relatively) cheap, and then sell accessories at massively marked up prices.[/quote]

ah ok, thx for the input. cuz i thought the lowest i could find some cables was like 30 bucks. i went to frys and got 3-ft sony hdmi cables for 39.99 each. that hurt. i bought two of them and now that i'm getting a ps3, ima need another. also got an optical cable and coaxial cable that came to about 30 for both. ouch. now that i see these prices, i feel like i should go return them. i hope they accept opened packages.

I'm a sucker I guess, 'cause I'll probably get a Sony cable for my PS3 when I get one (or if I get a new 360) :D

[quote name='nintendokid']How does the cables that Comcast use to hookup in my house compare to the ones sold here at monoprice?

Anyone know if they flexible or stiff like Comcast's?[/quote]

They should be great. I'm sure you will be able to bend them too.

Can anyone suggest some HDMI 1.3 cables from this site? I haven't noticed it in descriptions.

Sorry for dumb question. Found what I had overlooked and placed order for 2 sets of 1.3a 24 awg cables, one for PS3 and one for cable box.

just ordered 3 hdmi cables, 2 opticals, and 1 coaxial. put my order in last night (11th) and it looks like it's already ready to ship today (12th). i'll edit my post when i receive my cables. here's to hoping they're as good as the ones i returned to frys. *crosses fingers*

EDIT: WOW! i'm damn impressed by this company. not only did my item take a single business day to arrive, but they just saved me 145 bucks. i bought the 3 of the cheapest hdmi, 2 optical and 1 coaxial cable from this site and they're the same, if not better, than the brand names i had before. on top of that, they're longer in length so i'm not dying for a connection! it's ridiculous how much ppl mark up the value of cables in stores. geez! i'll be using monoprice for all my cables now. thanks to everyone who recommended this site.

EDIT:

Once again, I have posted too qucikly. Figured out my problem. I am so smart.

Gto my 2 HDM! cables very quickly,. but I have a slight problem. When I hook up my PS3, I get sound but no video. This happened with both cables, and both work fine with my cable box.

Do i have to buy a PS3 specific cable? If so, have I messed up my HDMI output port? And can anyone recommend a good place to buy PS3 HDMI? I am confused and scared, please help!

I'm using the HDMI cable from monoprice for my PS3 to HDTV. It works 100%Check the settings on your PS3 and make sure it isn't outputting sound via the optical out. and make sure it's inserted firmly into the PS3. (It snaps in there nicely)

I just ordered some cables from monoprice, they were really fast. I ordered on friday and they got here today, the cables were shipped on monday and got here today (wednesday). Not to mention the prices and shipping were super cheap and the cables seemed to be of good quality. I needed some USB 2.0 cables since all my cables seemed to be the old USB 1.1 and that wasn't playing nice with some newer devices. It was a small order of 3 cables but everything is good.

I decided a wireless adapter for my 360 wouldn't be worth $100, so I just bought a 50 ft cable from monoprice. The length of it is a little overkill (25 ft would have been plenty) but I want to make sure I'll have a long cable just in case I happen to need one.

I had long heard of monoprice, so I knew I would go there for my HDMI cables (but first went to WM and paid $30 for a 3 ft cable I knew I would return once my monoprice cables came.)

With the prices so cheap, I decided to go a little long and got a 15 ft 28AWG HDMI cable. I thought it was awesome, but recently have been having some issues:
I think I'm getting "sparklies", but I've never seen them before so can't be sure. Sometimes there is a bright blue flare like light in certain scenes of movies (I think I've only noticed it on SD DVD's, although I've only watched a couple HD things). The sound seems to sometimes drop out as well. I think I might try to exchange it, but since shipping is non-refundable, and I'm a bit worried the new item will have shipping charges, I might just buy another, shorter cable (15 ft is way too much). If the replacement cable gives me trouble, I'm gonna have to go one step up to bluejeanscable. Any one here have any experience with returns at monoprice?

What is the difference between a 24AWG HDMI cable and a 28AWG HDMI cable? What does the number and AWG mean? I know next to nothing about HDMI cables.

[quote name='mrExtreme']What is the difference between a 24AWG HDMI cable and a 28AWG HDMI cable? What does the number and AWG mean? I know next to nothing about HDMI cables.[/quote]I also m new to HDMI, but I believe it's he gauge for the wire - the thickness. The higher the gauge, the thinner it is. Meaning a 24AWG will be a heavier yet sturdier cable than 28. I hear 28 works fine for most people.

The closest explaination I could find on wikipedia is american wire gauge. I think that must be what it means.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']I also m new to HDMI, but I believe it's he gauge for the wire - the thickness. The higher the gauge, the thinner it is. Meaning a 24AWG will be a heavier yet sturdier cable than 28. I hear 28 works fine for most people.

The closest explaination I could find on wikipedia is american wire gauge. I think that must be what it means.[/QUOTE]

Ok, thanks. That makes sense then. Another question is which HDMI cable is good for a ps3? Is any HDMI cable good? I see descriptions of HDMI cables talking about father and mother connections...and I don't exactly know what that means. I wouldn't want to get an HDMI cable that doesn't work.

[quote name='mrExtreme']Ok, thanks. That makes sense then. Another question is which HDMI cable is good for a ps3? Is any HDMI cable good? I see descriptions of HDMI cables talking about father and mother connections...and I don't exactly know what that means. I wouldn't want to get an HDMI cable that doesn't work.[/quote]From what I've been reading recently (and anyone can jump in to correct me as I'm still pretty new to HD, cabling, etc), is that most HDMI is the same. In fact, from what I hear, higher end cables can be more troublesome than lower enders, ie Monster, who seems to want to make super thick, heavy-duty looking cables to justify the high price tag, but they tend to have too much weight and the connector has trouble staying in. But I've never owned a Monster cable myself, I'm just restating what I've read (Monster is WAY out of my range - hence my posting at CAG about cheap HDMI ;)).
An interesting write-up can be found at pc world. It doesn't mention monoprice, but the idea is about the same. The results are startling to say the least.
As far as father/mother, do you mean male/female connections? Male and female are common terms for cable ends, because one is more "masculine" than the other ;) The female is a hole, the male the end that fits inside, completing the connection. For most HDMI connections you'll want Male to Male, ie both ends plug into a female. The reason you might want Male-Female would be if you needed to attach another cable to the end of the other cable (although, will this just work with HDMI cables? I've heard many people say they have switches and such to attach cables together. This may be just because Male to Male is more common.)

A few other things that are hard to decipher (for me anyway) at the site:
Many cables say CL2 rated (for in-wall installation). CL2 is a standard that has to be met for cables to be used inside a wall. I ignored this since it seemed to apply mostly to longer cabling, which for a simple player-to-tv you won't need, and because I have no plans of doing any in-wall cabling. If you KNOW you'll be doing that later, you can always plan ahead, but for a player-to-tv setup I suggest just waiting until you need it.

Length is pretty obvious, but I thought I'd point out that the standard seems to be that it's measured end to end, connectors and all. So a 3 ft cable is really like 2.5 (well, more than that but you get my point). It's annoying since I thought 3 ft would be enough for me before, but it was extremely short. 6 ft however should probably suit most. 10ft is maybe a bit much, and 15 is way too much for a simple connection - trust me. I made the mistake of wanting a lot of cable since it was so cheap. I wish I had simply gone with 6ft. Another thing to note is that 15ft is the near-max length for HDMI before it gets harder to handle the signal (AFAIK), so after this point yo get signal degradation and loss (but this may be why some are CL2... to be able to handle longer signal stretches. Anyone know?)

Plating: Doesn't matter much, at least signal wise. Gold plating is to keep the end of the cable from corroding, and doesn't help or hinder the transmission of the digital signal. Most cables are gold plated, so just go with that as it's not a big decision cost wise or quality wise.

AWG: Already covered this, but for the sake of keeping it all in an easy to read post, it's weight or gauge. It is the heft and weight of the cable, with higher numbers being skinnier cables. 28awg is usually fine for most, but 24awg is good if you need a bit more thickness. I bought 28awg, and it seems a good thickness and quality, without being too heavy.

Ferrite Cores: Okay, this one seems even weirder than AWG. I'll let Wikipedia field this one:
[quote name='wikipedia']A ferrite bead is a passive electric component used to suppress high frequency noise in electronic circuits. Ferrite beads employ the mechanism of high dissipation of high frequency currents in a ferrite to build high frequency noise suppression devices. Ferrite beads may also be called ferrite cores, ferrite rings, ferrite EMI filters, or mistakenly as ferrous beads. Engineers often jokingly call them FCC goobers, or FCC lumps after their shape when attached to a cable.[/quote]
So, it's a good thing to have, so why not. It seems to be in most cables.

So, now you know all you need to know, namely that it's length, connector type and gauge that matter most, where the standard seems to be 6ft, m-m, and 28AWG (gold plated with ferrite cores).

I hope this helps; I know when I started looking around I had no idea what all these things meant. Oh, and any mistakes, all feel free to correct me.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']From what I've been reading recently (and anyone can jump in to correct me as I'm still pretty new to HD, cabling, etc), is that most HDMI is the same. In fact, from what I hear, higher end cables can be more troublesome than lower enders, ie Monster, who seems to want to make super thick, heavy-duty looking cables to justify the high price tag, but they tend to have too much weight and the connector has trouble staying in. But I've never owned a Monster cable myself, I'm just restating what I've read (Monster is WAY out of my range - hence my posting at CAG about cheap HDMI ;)).
An interesting write-up can be found at pc world. It doesn't mention monoprice, but the idea is about the same. The results are startling to say the least.
As far as father/mother, do you mean male/female connections? Male and female are common terms for cable ends, because one is more "masculine" than the other ;) The female is a hole, the male the end that fits inside, completing the connection. For most HDMI connections you'll want Male to Male, ie both ends plug into a female. The reason you might want Male-Female would be if you needed to attach another cable to the end of the other cable (although, will this just work with HDMI cables? I've heard many people say they have switches and such to attach cables together. This may be just because Male to Male is more common.)

A few other things that are hard to decipher (for me anyway) at the site:
Many cables say CL2 rated (for in-wall installation). CL2 is a standard that has to be met for cables to be used inside a wall. I ignored this since it seemed to apply mostly to longer cabling, which for a simple player-to-tv you won't need, and because I have no plans of doing any in-wall cabling. If you KNOW you'll be doing that later, you can always plan ahead, but for a player-to-tv setup I suggest just waiting until you need it.

Length is pretty obvious, but I thought I'd point out that the standard seems to be that it's measured end to end, connectors and all. So a 3 ft cable is really like 2.5 (well, more than that but you get my point). It's annoying since I thought 3 ft would be enough for me before, but it was extremely short. 6 ft however should probably suit most. 10ft is maybe a bit much, and 15 is way too much for a simple connection - trust me. I made the mistake of wanting a lot of cable since it was so cheap. I wish I had simply gone with 6ft. Another thing to note is that 15ft is the near-max length for HDMI before it gets harder to handle the signal (AFAIK), so after this point yo get signal degradation and loss (but this may be why some are CL2... to be able to handle longer signal stretches. Anyone know?)

Plating: Doesn't matter much, at least signal wise. Gold plating is to keep the end of the cable from corroding, and doesn't help or hinder the transmission of the digital signal. Most cables are gold plated, so just go with that as it's not a big decision cost wise or quality wise.

AWG: Already covered this, but for the sake of keeping it all in an easy to read post, it's weight or gauge. It is the heft and weight of the cable, with higher numbers being skinnier cables. 28awg is usually fine for most, but 24awg is good if you need a bit more thickness. I bought 28awg, and it seems a good thickness and quality, without being too heavy.

Ferrite Cores: Okay, this one seems even weirder than AWG. I'll let Wikipedia field this one:

So, it's a good thing to have, so why not. It seems to be in most cables.

So, now you know all you need to know, namely that it's length, connector type and gauge that matter most, where the standard seems to be 6ft, m-m, and 28AWG (gold plated with ferrite cores).

I hope this helps; I know when I started looking around I had no idea what all these things meant. Oh, and any mistakes, all feel free to correct me.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I did mean male and female connectors. Not mother/father. I don't know what I was thinking there. LOL. Thanks for your helpful post though.

[quote name='Furashu']uh is there any difference between the wii component cables other then color?[/quote]Difference how? I believe there is very little difference between official or third party cables. I bought some 3rd party ones at Monoprice and they seem to work fine.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']Difference how? I believe there is very little difference between official or third party cables. I bought some 3rd party ones at Monoprice and they seem to work fine.[/quote]

lol ok thanks for the info.

Damn Monoprice is good. I bought HDMI cables like at 1 AM on Friday and it already came to my house on Saturday. I wasn't expecting it til next week. If you live in California, you're in for a treat shipping wise.

[quote name='bullsrfive']Damn Monoprice is good. I bought HDMI cables like at 1 AM on Friday and it already came to my house on Saturday. I wasn't expecting it til next week. If you live in California, you're in for a treat shipping wise.[/quote]
lol yeah i think theyre about 2 hrs away from me, usually takes about a day or two at most

anyone know where i can get rechargeable double a batteries for cheap?

i bought that wii charging dock but i got 4 wii motes...

ordered a couple of HDMI cables from there for my HD DVD player and another xbox and work great! fast shipping I can vouch for monoprice.

[quote name='BelieveTheHype']anyone order any flat screen wall mounts? i just wanted some opinions :p[/QUOTE]
Yep, got a 42" Panny plasma mounted with one. Works great, zero complaints.

I am looking for an HDMI cable for my PS3. Does it matter if it is ver 1.3? For example, what is the difference between this and this? Which would you reccomend?

[quote name='pop311']I am looking for an HDMI cable for my PS3. Does it matter if it is ver 1.3? For example, what is the difference between this and this? Which would you reccomend?[/quote]Do you need the cable installed in a wall? Because both of those are for in-wall insallation, which you most likely won't need, if you'r simply running cable form your PS3to tv. But you might have different setup.
As far as 1.3, from what I can tell, it provides more data thouroughput and will work with previous specs, so you might as well get 1.3.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']Do you need the cable installed in a wall? Because both of those are for in-wall insallation, which you most likely won't need, if you'r simply running cable form your PS3to tv. But you might have different setup.
As far as 1.3, from what I can tell, it provides more data thouroughput and will work with previous specs, so you might as well get 1.3.[/quote]so which cable would you recceomend buying for a PS3 to HDTV connection?

[quote name='pop311']so which cable would you recceomend buying for a PS3 to HDTV connection?[/quote]When researching 1.3 spec, I came across another confusing term: Category 2! Well, it seems that for old specs of HDMI, they would specify that a cable be run at a certain resolution for testing, while 1.3 Category 1 means it can run at 720p or 1080i; Category 2 is close to 1080p, so that's the best option (and luckily just about all monoprice has).
Having said that, here are a couple 1.3 Cat 2 cables. I have provided a black cable that isn't available as you may specifically want black, but any color should work fine. I have a 15ft cable which is much too long, and have used a 3ft cable which is much too short. 6ft ought to do the job.

6ft Black - $6.43 (Not Avail until 12/10)
6ft Red - $6.43
6ft White - $6.43
6ft Yellow - $6.43

And here is a black 10ft cable, in case you really want black and want it now (since 6ft is not avail), or in case you know you'll need 10ft (it might be a little long though).

10 Ft Black - $7.63

Any of these should be fine, and are basically the same save color and lengh changes.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']When researching 1.3 spec, I came across another confusing term: Category 2! Well, it seems that for old specs of HDMI, they would specify that a cable be run at a certain resolution for testing, which 1.3 Category 1 means it can run at 720p or 1080i; Category 2 is close to 1080p, so that's the best option (and luckily just about all monoprice has).
Having said that, here are a couple 1.3 Cat 2 cables. I have provided a black cable that isn't available as you may specifically want black, but any color should work fine. I have a 15ft cable which is much too long, and have used a 3ft cable which is much too short. 6ft ought to do the job.

6ft Black - $6.43 (Not Avail until 12/10)
6ft Red - $6.43
6ft White - $6.43
6ft Yellow - $6.43

And here is a black 10ft cable, in case you really want black and want it now (since 6ft is not avail), or in case you know you'll need 10ft (it might be a little long though).

10 Ft Black - $7.63

Any of these should be fine, and are basically the same save color and lengh changes.[/quote]Thank you. I am going with the white one

Thanks to the OP for this info. I had never heard of monoprice.com before, and I have been looking for a cheap USB extension cable for a few weeks now. Monoprice.com was by far the lowest I had came across.

bread's done
Back