Monoprice.com - Need HDMI, Optical Audio, Component, or Other Cables, Get Them Here

Nephilim

CAGiversary!
Feedback
91 (100%)
I know a lot of you are probably aware of this place, but I just thought I would post this since I did not find a topic.

monoprice.com has long been known as the cheapest place to buy USB, Network, HDMI, and many other cables, period.

Their service is excellent as well.

Our business just ordered another round of Network and USB cables and saved close to $1000 compared to retail stores like Best Buy, etc.

We have had Network cables from monoprice throughout our building for a few years and have had NO ISSUES at all. Most of the cables in my home (S-Video, HDMI, USB, CAT5e, etc. are also from monoprice and they have been perfect.

The Quality of the cables I have bought has been as good or in many cases, much better than more expensive cables elsewhere.

I know there are other online retailers like Firefold that sell for similar prices, but I have not found their service to be near as good as monoprice.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shrike4242']
Getting that HTIB was a real mistake, since it only has one HDMI input, one component input and one optical input. If it had two of each, you could feed everything into it and you wouldn't have an issue.[/quote] Bingo. If it hasn't shipped yet I'd give them a call and see if they'll refund or move the order to something with a better selection of inputs.
Gimped HTIBs are more trouble than they're worth.

[quote name='shrike4242']Getting that HTIB was a real mistake, since it only has one HDMI input, one component input and one optical input. If it had two of each, you could feed everything into it and you wouldn't have an issue.[/QUOTE]

I really have been eying this unit for a while because it is the same style as my TV (I know that is an awful reason), and mainly because it has wireless rear speakers while being affordable. I just graduated college and have a small job- so affordability is a huge reason.

The HTIB does not have an HDMI input....?

It has:

Analog Audio Input(s) : 2 (Rear)
Coaxial Audio Digital Input(s) : 1 (Rear)
Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr ) Input(s) : 1 (Rear)
Composite Video Output(s) : 1 (Rear)
Digital Media Port (Input) : Yes
HDMI™ Connection Output(s) : 1
Headphone Input(s) : 1 (Rear) 3.5mm
Optical Audio Input(s) : 1 (Rear)

Is it possible to do this:

Use component wires into my HDTV (for the 360, PS3, Wii), for video only. As far as audio goes... I could just have optical wires going into a switch? 2 to 1 switch, which would of course be connected to the receiver.

I would hook the Wii via component.

I really think that is possible, but a little bit of a hassle. I am okay with that.

Is there anyway to use HDMI with the PS3 and/or 360 while doing this though? (to use component for my PS2/PSP) I think with the PS3, I can use HDMi, and in the menu change the sound to Optical, does this hold true for the 360?

Sorry for the million questions, I am new to this!

I appreciate the advice a lot :)

[quote name='klwillis45']Bingo. If it hasn't shipped yet I'd give them a call and see if they'll refund or move the order to something with a better selection of inputs.
Gimped HTIBs are more trouble than they're worth.[/QUOTE]

As far as my finances go, that option isn't really doable.

More inputs = a lot more $.

I am really okay with getting a optical TOSLink switch if I have to.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']Is it possible to do this:

Use component wires into my HDTV (for the 360, PS3, Wii), for video only. As far as audio goes... I could just have optical wires going into a switch? 2 to 1 switch, which would of course be connected to the receiver.

I would hook the Wii via component.

I really think that is possible, but a little bit of a hassle. I am okay with that.

Is there anyway to use HDMI with the PS3 and/or 360 while doing this though? (to use component for my PS2/PSP) I think with the PS3, I can use HDMi, and in the menu change the sound to Optical, does this hold true for the 360?

Sorry for the million questions, I am new to this!

I appreciate the advice a lot :)[/QUOTE]I thought it had one HDMI input, though apparently, it doesn't when I read it a second time.

You could feed all of the video inputs into the TV and then you'd feed the optical inputs into an optical switcher and then do that for audio. Yes, the 360 can do optical out for audio and HDMI for video, though you either need to modify a 360 component video cable or buy the HDMI/optical audio output dongle for the 360, as a standard 360 cable slightly blocks the HDMI port. There's places on the Internet that talks about that.

You'd have three optical cables (PS3, 360 and PS2) going to the switcher, and feed the Wii audio directly into an RCA L+R input on the HTIB.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']As far as my finances go, that option isn't really doable.

More inputs = a lot more $.

I am really okay with getting a optical TOSLink switch if I have to.[/QUOTE] That depends, how much did you snag that one for?

[quote name='shrike4242']I thought it had one HDMI input, though apparently, it doesn't when I read it a second time.

You could feed all of the video inputs into the TV and then you'd feed the optical inputs into an optical switcher and then do that for audio. Yes, the 360 can do optical out for audio and HDMI for video, though you either need to modify a 360 component video cable or buy the HDMI/optical audio output dongle for the 360, as a standard 360 cable slightly blocks the HDMI port. There's places on the Internet that talks about that.

You'd have three optical cables (PS3, 360 and PS2) going to the switcher, and feed the Wii audio directly into an RCA L+R input on the HTIB.[/QUOTE]

I will look into the HDMI/optical situation for the 360.

Do you know where on Monoprice.com, they have a 3-in-1 switch? I am looking and cannot seem to locate it. I do see the optical TOSLink cables though that I am going to get.

I think I will end up waiting for the HTIB to come, so I know the length of the wire needed. I could estimate and get all 4'-6' cables though... I will figure that out.

Once again, thanks :)

[quote name='klwillis45']That depends, how much did you snag that one for?[/QUOTE]

319.99 + Tax.

I really liked that it was a Sony Bravia Theatre System that would sync with my Sony Bravia HDTV. I also wanted wireless rear speakers.

To me, the wireless rear speakers, and it matching my TV are worth it enough that I will go through the hassle of setting up an optical switch.

[quote name='shrike4242']Yes, the 360 can do optical out for audio and HDMI for video, though you either need to modify a 360 component video cable or buy the HDMI/optical audio output dongle for the 360, as a standard 360 cable slightly blocks the HDMI port. There's places on the Internet that talks about that.
It seems dangerous to remove the plastic casing to expose the metal...

I looked on Amazon, and people are taking them from the Xbox Elite and selling them new for $17.00 plus shipping. I think I will just go that route.

[quote name='flameofdoom666'] It seems dangerous to remove the plastic casing to expose the metal...

I looked on Amazon, and people are taking them from the Xbox Elite and selling them new for $17.00 plus shipping. I think I will just go that route.[/QUOTE]$17 + shipping is well worth not needing to play around with a 360 cable to get the optical port available.

[quote name='klwillis45']http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2946&seq=1&format=2[/QUOTE]Looks like it should work for his needs, though not all of the reviews have been 10 out of 10, so keep that in mind.

[quote name='shrike4242']$17 + shipping is well worth not needing to play around with a 360 cable to get the optical port available.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

[quote name='shrike4242']Looks like it should work for his needs, though not all of the reviews have been 10 out of 10, so keep that in mind.[/QUOTE]

I am going to order 4 TOSLink cables, the 3-to-1 switch and 2 HDMI cables anyway- so at 5.76, i'll take my chances!

Thanks a lot klwillis45 & shrike4242! You both have been a tremendous help!

[quote name='shrike4242']That one should be a better option, yes. It's supposed to be back in stock on the 25th.[/QUOTE]

While it does sound great, I think I will settle for the inexpensive one for the time being. It seems to do what I am looking for. I read most of the reviews, and I am convinced it will work for what I need.

I ended up ordering 2 wrong cables! I didn't need HDMI to DVI... ugh!

Can someone direct me to a standard HDMI cable (HDMI to HDMI for my PS3/360)? It would be much appreciated!

[quote name='shrike4242']

If you feed it into your TV, the TV will only know how to handle 2.0 stereo sound, so it'll only output 2.0 stereo sound, regardless of the source.
[/QUOTE]
Not actually, the optical port on the TV will output 5.1 if you're using OTA HD.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']Just to make sure, this is fine?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10243&cs_id=1024008&p_id=3992&seq=1&format=2

It seems fine to me, I just want to make sure. 6 feet should be enough.

Much appreciated[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Not actually, the optical port on the TV will output 5.1 if you're using OTA HD.[/QUOTE]It should be getting DD 5.1 from an OTA source, though the TV may have issues passing it off over DD/PCM to the HTIB. Bypassing it would be the best option.

TV's seem to handle audio over their optical port differently, so it's best to work around it and send everything to the HTIB.

In case anyone is interested:

6FT Optical Toslink 5.0mm OD Audio cable is on sale today for the price of... $1.20!! The limit is 10!

[quote name='flameofdoom666']In case anyone is interested:

6FT Optical Toslink 5.0mm OD Audio cable is on sale today for the price of... $1.20!! The limit is 10![/QUOTE]

I just received the wires, and so far so good!

Got my first ever order with Monoprice today in the mail.

Ordered 1 HDMI Cable as well as a 4X1 Powered 1.3 HDMI Switch.

Ordered on Friday and I received it on Monday. Mostly because Monoprice offers cheap overnight shipping to customers in California. $3.XX (by weight) for overnight shipping? Insane!

I just ordered a new 1080p LCD Samsung TV for myself, and I'm looking to buy some HDMI cables. I will probably get 3. Any recommendations on the best quality for price ratio, as looking at all the cables is confusing for a noob.

[quote name='kidkash03']I just ordered a new 1080p LCD Samsung TV for myself, and I'm looking to buy some HDMI cables. I will probably get 3. Any recommendations on the best quality for price ratio, as looking at all the cables is confusing for a noob.[/QUOTE]
All you need to know is measurements, as in how long do you need? 1.3a cat 2 is standard and you can avoid buying the more expensive in-wall cables since you don't need those. I'd recommend separate colors since you can color code devices that way. Here's a listing of them.

[quote name='drktrpr1']I saw shrike recommend the $20 HDMIs, could I just as easily go with this guy (for my 360 to my 720p 42" TV), they're $4.09 + S/H?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10243&cs_id=1024008&p_id=3992&seq=1&format=2[/QUOTE]I have a bunch of those very same cables connecting a number of items across a couple of TV's.

Works without any issues that I've seen.

The post I had earlier was for all of their HDMI cables, from the 22AWG to 28AWG. For 99% of your needs, the inexpensive 28AWG cables work without any issues. There's no way to just bring up the 28AWG cables on the link I posted.

I love the price on cables, but they seriously need better shipping options for how much they pad the costs. $12 for 2-3 day shipping on 5 cables is outrageous and $7 for 3-5 is just as bad. I mean, you're still getting a great overall price as long as you need more than 1-2 items (if it's under 2lbs. you can only choose 2-3 day), but if you don't plan out what you need in one order it makes repeat business sting.

Wish they only shipped through USPS or FedEx, because UPS sucks ass for delivery times. Taking the weekend off is really shitty if your package is sitting in a warehouse just downstate from you over the weekend or in my case four fucking days because they decided to take the Thanksgiving weekend off. Really pissed me off not being able to hook up a new AV receiver because the wiring was sitting in a warehouse over the holiday weekend.
[quote name='shrike4242']There's no way to just bring up the 28AWG cables on the link I posted.[/QUOTE]Lies!

[quote name='polo14player']yeah but i think i want 1.3b or c.[/QUOTE]

HDMI 1.3b, 1.3b1 and 1.3c were released on March 26, 2007, November 9, 2007, and August 25, 2008 respectively. They do not introduce differences on HDMI features, functions, or performance, but only describe testing for products based on the HDMI 1.3a specification regarding HDMI compliance (1.3b), the HDMI Type C Mini connector (1.3b1), and active HDMI cables (1.3c)

Copied from HDMI wiki entry.

Ive ordered from Monoprice multiple times and only ever had a problem 1 time. (they sent me an old school printer cable instead of a TOSlink cable) Even so, I'd strongly recommend them to friends and family, for the incredibly fast shipping and excellent customer service

I bought a couple HDMI Port Saver (Male to Female) - 90 Degree connectors and sure enough the face the wrong direction, I should have looked at the picture first and checked my TV to make sure it'd work, oh well. Silly Sony putting 3 HDMI inputs on the side and only 1 on the back..... ::cries::

[quote name='YoungE808']Can anyone recommend me an hdmi cable that goes from my laptop to my HDTV?[/QUOTE]

Do you have an Apple laptop or regular laptop? If it is one of the regular laptops then any of the 1.3a hdmi cables from monoprice.com will be fine. Just make sure it is long enough for you.

Does anyone have any experience with the 4x1 HDMI switch?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=4088&seq=1&format=2

What I'm wondering about specifically is the text "highly recommending" 24AWG cables on the description:

NOTE: 24AWG or higher cables HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for best performance. Some devices will require thicker gauge, category 2 cables to work with this switch. For runs up to 15ft, use 24AWG. For runs of 20ft or more, use 22AWG.
"Abraham replied, 'If they won't heed Moses and the Prophets, they're not going to be convinced by someone who rises from the dead or warnings in bold red type.'" ~ Luke 16-31
Anyone know why they'd make that recommendation? I know that some of my existing cables (none longer than 6ft) are 28AWG -- what is the likelihood that I'll have to replace them? This is the first that I've really heard about gauge even mattering for (short) HDMI cables.

I've got a 2x1 switch right now, but want to add an additional device. I was hoping to get the 4x1 switch so that I'd have an extra port and wouldn't have to upgrade again later, but if I'm going to have to buy a bunch of new cables as well, I may just go with the 3x1 switch (which doesn't have the gauge recommendation). Just wondering what about the 4x1 switch specifically would require this when none of the others do.

There's probably some signal noise that gets introduced with whatever multiplexer they're using for the 4x1 switch that doesn't cause issues if you're using higher-quality/lower-AWG cables.

I'm almost to that point, as I've used up all of the four HDMI inputs on my receiver, though I think I'd go a little higher up the food chain for a HDMI switcher than the ones Monoprice sells.

Just wanted to throw out there that I ordered a 4' HDMI cable from MP for my PS3 and it works flawlessly. I might even buy another for the second TV in case I ever feel like moving the system around.

Excellent website, excellent cables!

FYI, awesome sale on closed screw banana plugs @ $.97 regardless of quantity right now. Shipping is $1.56 to start, but you still save over any B&M.

[quote name='shrike4242']There's probably some signal noise that gets introduced with whatever multiplexer they're using for the 4x1 switch that doesn't cause issues if you're using higher-quality/lower-AWG cables.[/QUOTE]

Hm, probably. I suppose that if I were to give it a try and find there was a problem, it wouldn't take too long for them to ship me some new cables. It's just weird that none of their other switches apparently have this issue.

Hm, just noticed they now have a 5x1 switch for just a little bit more that doesn't say anything about cable quality. Maybe I'll go with that instead.

[quote name='shrike4242']I'm almost to that point, as I've used up all of the four HDMI inputs on my receiver, though I think I'd go a little higher up the food chain for a HDMI switcher than the ones Monoprice sells.[/QUOTE]

Well, my 2x1 switch that I use for my 360 and my PS3 is from Monoprice, and it works great (other than being completely manual -- the 4x1 has a remote, and is compatible with my Harmony remote as well -- will need to check on the 5x1). For the price, I'm willing to give them a shot.

[quote name='Jodou']FYI, awesome sale on closed screw banana plugs @ $.97 regardless of quantity right now. Shipping is $1.56 to start, but you still save over any B&M.[/QUOTE]I bought 20 of them the last time they had them at this price. Well worth the price, and getting them in quantity makes the pricing not so bad to deal with.

[quote name='arcane93']Hm, probably. I suppose that if I were to give it a try and find there was a problem, it wouldn't take too long for them to ship me some new cables. It's just weird that none of their other switches apparently have this issue.[/quote]I'm sure it is just something unique to that switch and only that switch. They may have a revised version on the way that fixes that issue.

[quote name='arcane93']Hm, just noticed they now have a 5x1 switch for just a little bit more that doesn't say anything about cable quality. Maybe I'll go with that instead.

Well, my 2x1 switch that I use for my 360 and my PS3 is from Monoprice, and it works great (other than being completely manual -- the 4x1 has a remote, and is compatible with my Harmony remote as well -- will need to check on the 5x1). For the price, I'm willing to give them a shot.[/QUOTE]If you're looking at a 4x1 then making the jump to a 5x1 isn't that much of a reach.

Having a remote added into the mix is certainly worth the jump just to make the process easier.

Got the 5x1 HDMI switch yesterday and hooked it up last night. As always, Monoprice comes through -- it works great and does exactly what I needed it to do. The only even slight complaint might be the one that's posted in several of the comments that the LEDs are awfully bright, but it's not a huge deal. Definitely recommended if you're in need of more HDMI ports.

Thanks for the review! That's one of the more interesting products. My "game" TV now has 4 HDMI ports, buy my other one only has 1, so that may come in handy at some point.

EDIT: You know what, that might even be handy for a computer monitor-hook up a laptop and an Xbox or something at the same time...

Bought all my cables from Monoprice; everything works ^^
I'm looking into purchasing a wall mount from monoprice (pretty good reviews, but I still have a fear of my screen landing flat on the floor). Anybody have any experience with Monoprice wall mounts for tv (particularly I want to purchase a tilt mount for ~100lb 50" screen).

[quote name='dejeckt']Bought all my cables from Monoprice; everything works ^^
I'm looking into purchasing a wall mount from monoprice (pretty good reviews, but I still have a fear of my screen landing flat on the floor). Anybody have any experience with Monoprice wall mounts for tv (particularly I want to purchase a tilt mount for ~100lb 50" screen).[/QUOTE]

You looking at the full motion ones or just tilting? I have the full motion one and sometimes i wish it sticked all the way on the wall rather than 6" or so. (Have a 42" on it and it looks like it could handle a 50") But I need the full motion left to be able to glance at it while working the computer.

bread's done
Back