New Gamestop trade promo: 50% extra credit for ALL games. Starts 2/22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rei no Otaku

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I didn't see this posted here.

I work at GS and we just got the info on this in today's store informer. Basically 50% trade in credit on ALL games. Yes, every game and no minimum value. As usual it stacks with Edge card.

I know I have some crap to unload come Monday!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Punisher0587']Alright. I'm at a dilemma. I was going to trade Madden 10 and Smackdown 10 which I can get $23.93 and $24.75 respectively including Edge according to the TIV thread. With the $10 promo that would make the total $58.68.

Now if I wait for this deal I'm assuming even though the TIV of the games are not in the $30-35 range they could still go down? But if the TIV doesnt go down I could get $35.90 and $37.13 respectively equaling $73.03 and that's not even including Edge. It's a bit hard to believe I could get that much for 2 game though. Any suggestions? :whistle2:#

Oh and if I wait and this deal ends up being bogus then I will have missed out on the extra$10.[/QUOTE]

Chances are the values of the two games will drop significantly, and you'll be lucky to get $58.68 with the 50% extra trade in credit.

As soon as the trade xx get $$ extra promo started, within a day Gamestop killed the values on a ton of games, so count on it happening here.

Yes !!! I am going to renew my 1yr expired edge card.
That's why there doing it. To get more Edge members, imo.

...Does everybody in this thread like buy a new game at release, and try to finish it and trade it somewhere within the same week? Because that's the only good I see from this.

Hmmmm the guy said they couldnt give trade in value over the phone but that he though Bioshock 2 went for around $27. If thats true adding the 50% and stacking my edge card it would be worth about $43....tempting. Ill feel dirty trading with gamestop though.....

I understand that this promotion does not apply to console trade-ins, but do any of you Gamestop in-the-know peoples know if there is a seperate console trade-in promotion that they'll be running starting 2/22?

My reason for asking: I'm wanting to trade in my old Xbox 360 console. I'm considering trading it in under the current offer of $30 extra credit towards purchase of another console (expires 2/21). But I'd rather trade in for store credit than be obligated to buy a console. So I'm wondering if there will be a more appealing console trade-in promotion that starts on 2/22.

[quote name='packpick']I understand that this promotion does not apply to console trade-ins, but do any of you Gamestop in-the-know peoples know if there is a seperate console trade-in promotion that they'll be running starting 2/22?

My reason for asking: I'm wanting to trade in my old Xbox 360 console. I'm considering trading it in under the current offer of $30 extra credit towards purchase of another console (expires 2/21). But I'd rather trade in for store credit than be obligated to buy a console. So I'm wondering if there will be a more appealing console trade-in promotion that starts on 2/22.[/QUOTE]

The $30 extra will continue past 2/22.

well if for some reason this only takes place in the cranston store ill have to pack a lunch call in sick to work and maybe get a hotel room overnight....its a long ride from east greenwich :whee:

[quote name='Azarius']well if for some reason this only takes place in the cranston store ill have to pack a lunch call in sick to work and maybe get a hotel room overnight....its a long ride from east greenwich :whee:[/QUOTE]
I know those of us in RI judge time differently than everyone else, but a hotel? It's a 15 minute drive XD

[quote name='ponn01']hmm...any chance of mass effect 2 holding its $35 TIV till monday?[/QUOTE]

It would be a dream ($56 w/edge), but I'm sure it will be $24 TIV at the highest, my guess $22 TIV

[quote name='Punisher0587']Alright. I'm at a dilemma. I was going to trade Madden 10 and Smackdown 10 which I can get $23.93 and $24.75 respectively including Edge according to the TIV thread. With the $10 promo that would make the total $58.68.

Now if I wait for this deal I'm assuming even though the TIV of the games are not in the $30-35 range they could still go down? But if the TIV doesnt go down I could get $35.90 and $37.13 respectively equaling $73.03 and that's not even including Edge. It's a bit hard to believe I could get that much for 2 game though. Any suggestions? :whistle2:#

Oh and if I wait and this deal ends up being bogus then I will have missed out on the extra$10.[/QUOTE]

Madden is going to drop hard before this new promo.

[quote name='bgame2']Yes, I posted it in the other thread. My quote from yesterday was 12.50. The guy was shocked that it was that low when he checked it for me.[/QUOTE]

Since Darksiders is back to MSRP on the Gamestop site, is it possible for the TIV to go up?

I work at a Gamestop in Memphis, I can confirm I saw this posted in our Intranet messages we got yesterday.

[quote name='Survivalism']It's right in front of your face on the first page: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243233[/QUOTE]

I was excited for this deal until I saw the value of the games I would be trading in. Was hoping that the games would get me close enough to ebay/cag values so that I would not have to deal with shipping and whatnot, but nope! Well actually, one was pretty close but the others were not anywhere near the same.

Trading in BC1 and MW2 today. Should I wait for that 50% bonus that allegedly starts Monday ? Signing up for the edge card is like 15 bucks, any suggestions ?

i was gonna trade in MW2 today towards FF13 as well, but i'm gonna wait till Monday.

Current deal $23 + 25%(~$6)

New deal would be $23 +50% (~$12)

Wow...people are really excited about this. I'll just keep on selling my games on eBay. As antoher poster said, the only huge benefit I see from this is for the brand-new games (Bioshock 2, White Knight Chron, Heavy Rain, AvP) tht are (or will be) still well over $30 TIV as of 2/22. W/ those, you can get $50 or more back. Otherwise, I can get as much (or close to to it) by selling on eBay, and I get cold hard cash instead of store credit (ugh).

[quote name='vkyosho']i was gonna trade in MW2 today towards FF13 as well, but i'm gonna wait till Monday.

Current deal $23 + 25%(~$6)

New deal would be $23 +50% (~$12)[/QUOTE]

- Do you need to be an edge member for either offer ?
- Trade 2 games, B:BC is $7, MW2 is $23 + $10 = 40
- Monday $30 + 50% = 45
- Edge subscription = $15

5 bucks is 5 bucks I know. But if I have to subscribe to get A useless magazine and A slight boost in trade then forget it.

[quote name='D FENS']- Do you need to be an edge member for either offer ?
- Trade 2 games, B:BC is $7, MW2 is $23 + $10 = 40
- Monday $30 + 50% = 45
- Edge subscription = $15

5 bucks is 5 bucks I know. But if I have to subscribe to get A useless magazine and A slight boost in trade then forget it.[/QUOTE]

You're assuming that they won't drop MW2 by a few dollars on Monday, which is a leap of faith IMO.

^
Yeah, it's A gamble. Do you have to be A Edge member for either one ?!
I can call G$ but I really don't feel like walking to the phone. I'm cheap AND lazy :p

You don't need to be a edge member to do the trades, but I would suggest doing it. If you plan to trade in any other games over the next year, or if you plan to buy used games with that credit.

[quote name='csmason1']Wow...people are really excited about this. I'll just keep on selling my games on eBay. As antoher poster said, the only huge benefit I see from this is for the brand-new games (Bioshock 2, White Knight Chron, Heavy Rain, AvP) tht are (or will be) still well over $30 TIV as of 2/22. W/ those, you can get $50 or more back. Otherwise, I can get as much (or close to to it) by selling on eBay, and I get cold hard cash instead of store credit (ugh).[/QUOTE]

Ebay is a hassle, and the fees have gotten to the point that they are ridiculous.

[quote name='D FENS']^
Yeah, it's A gamble. Do you have to be A Edge member for either one ?!
I can call G$ but I really don't feel like walking to the phone. I'm cheap AND lazy :p[/QUOTE]

I don't think you have to be an Edge member for either one. However, even if you don't think GI has any value, I try to look at Edge as a year-long investment--which makes it only about $1.25/month. I only purchase GS games if there's a B2G1 on used games, and if the prices on those games as close to market (I usually use Amazon's Warehouse Deals prices as a baseline). I used the 2/4/7 deal by trading in 4 cheap games and getting an extra $25, but only b/c I calculated that I couldn't get as much by selling those games on eBay.

If you're smart and disciplined, you can make GS work for you. Unfortunately, much of the gaming public isn't smart or disciplined; they are how GS paid for all those rabbit TV ads.

[quote name='csmason1']You're assuming that they won't drop MW2 by a few dollars on Monday, which is a leap of faith IMO.[/QUOTE]

I would not take that gamble. I would be shocked if all current titles didn't take a significant drop.

^
15 bucks to boost for A year. I might do it if I was Sure on trading in games. The couple times I Did sign up was when G.$. said "We're actually paying you to be an edge member" It boosted A bunch of games I traded in, to basically have the membership free.
To 50% or do the $10, that is the question. Gamble on the values holding, or trade now.

*Update* MW2 just sold for 40 w/ free shipping on ebay. Subtract the fee's and shipping costs. Ebay schmeebay. I'm going to trade TODAY !

does anybody know the trade in values for Dante's inferno, Pokemon Diamond, Call of Juarez BiB, and Madworld?

This really isn't a step up from the previous tiered deal. The only reason you'd want to use this is if you're a game short of one of the tiered deals, or if the game(s) you're waiting to trade in are $5 or under... In which case, the most it will matter per game is $2.50.

[quote name='daminion']Ebay is a hassle, and the fees have gotten to the point that they are ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

No hassle for me...I have a template for each platform and I just remove the game info and plug in the new stuff, no more than 4 min to post a game. No more than 2 min to print out a shipping label and package it, then just give it to my P.O. on a normal trip or postal worker who collects in my neighborhood.

I've never had a return on any of my games (my feedback is 688 and 100% positive) and the fees are about 8% w/ no insertion fees anymore. Paypal is pretty low too...I just sold Tales of Vesperia for $38 and paid $1.40 in Paypal fee. I always charge $3.99 for shipping to help offset those costs, even though the postage for the average game I sell is about $2.25.

I certainly would rather have eBay and Paypal take a total ~10% cut of my cold hard cash, than trading in games to GS for store credit. Plus, it's more of a "hassle", IMO, to travel to GS and wait in the inevitable line just to have the pleasure of GS bending me over on a standard trade-in. Certainly a lot more than 6 minutes of my life that I'll never have back.

Decent for games below $5 or newer games that are worth $20+ but IMHO seems like the current trade 7/get +$50 seems like a better deal for most

[quote name='D FENS']^
15 bucks to boost for A year. I might do it if I was Sure on trading in games. The couple times I Did sign up was when G.$. said "We're actually paying you to be an edge member" It boosted A bunch of games I traded in, to basically have the membership free.
To 50% or do the $10, that is the question. Gamble on the values holding, or trade now.

*Update* MW2 just sold for 40 w/ free shipping on ebay. Subtract the fee's and shipping costs. Ebay schmeebay. I'm going to trade TODAY ![/QUOTE]

Yeah, MW2 is actually a good example of a trade-in oppo (using one of their bonus programs) b/c it's selling on Amazon used for under $34. Therefore, I'm not surprised it only went for $40 shipped on eBay. The gap b/w the TIV and the market used price is small enough that this is one of the few times it makes sense to trade-in--assuming, of course, that you spend the credit wisely as well. ;)

^
Yeah, I'm putting it all down on Bad Company 2. I know Amazon and Wally World are offering $20 e-gift card. I want the early 30 day access to rush mode and get it at midnight.

If I was going to sign up for the Edge, it'd been in October. G$ had A sweet offer if you traded your PS2 and bought a PS3 they'd give $50 for your PS2 ! That was right after the price drop on PS3 so, I ended up getting 82.30 for A bunch of PS2 crap. Got A pS3 for $233 out the door. Looking back it'd cost me $7 for the year Edge and Today I'd basically broke even on membership cost with 6 months left. Too late now, off to G$, again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at Gamestop the other day and they asked if I wanted to preorder Battlefield Bad Company 2 again. I told him I already got it preordered for $30 at Walmart after 15% bing and $20 gc. They can keep their extra downloadable content on their new game preorders for this and Bioshock 2 and etc, I would rather save $10 -$30 and gladly give Amazon and Walmart my business anyday on all my future preorders.

[quote name='diddy310']ouch, oh well, 34.24 isn't so bad for Dante's - hopefully it stays at that or at least 20. Probably get rid of Assassin's Creed 2 after I play Bonfire of the Vanities, also some of the low stuff that I couldnt use in the tier promo but won't play again (Tomb Raider Underworld, KoF XII etc.)[/QUOTE]
You'd probably gain more if you traded it via playSwitch.com. Just a thought.

i so done with gamestop. they couldnt get me to spend money in that store even if they were giving away blow jobs at the door. i hate gamestops lies!

[quote name='killer9']lol this guy^[/QUOTE]

Second.

Someone mentioned it earlier, too. I've just decided to turn the corner and start amassing a collection of games rather than trade them in every 2 months, and then something like this comes along that might actually help me get some games I've been wanting. Blast!

[quote name='muteprophet2000']i so done with gamestop. they couldnt get me to spend money in that store even if they were giving away blow jobs at the door. i hate gamestops lies![/QUOTE]

Would you even be interested in a BJ from anyone that works there? All the women that work at the one by me make me :bomb: just that said people are let out of Notre Dame. Chicks at GS = quality of the store itself.

[quote name='yokedog22']Would you even be interested in a BJ from anyone that works there? All the women that work at the one by me make me :bomb: just that said people are let out of Notre Dame. Chicks at GS = quality of the store itself.[/QUOTE]

Thats true for the majority, but there one store near me that the manager is pretty ffing hot

i checked out some of the trade in credit for my newer PS3 titles. If this thing turns out to be as good as it sounds, I should have a butt load of credit for games like battlefield 2 and Atlus's new Dot Heros, or whatever the hell its called

when does it end? ordered heavy rain with release date delivery will it give me enough time to beat it then trade it in and get bad company 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back