Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5838]24198[/IMG-R]According to a trusted source, Walmart will be dropping the price of the Nintendo 3DS on August 9th, 3 days before the official drop takes effect. This means savvy shoppers will be able to get the new low price and the 20 free downloadable games available as a reward to early adopters of the 3DS. Just connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the free games.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it's pretty popular not to read the actual thread and practice common sense, but anything going in before 7am tomorrow morning is more then likely not going to get a price below $250. Like others have said the price drops won't be worked until the department manager comes in and even then they won't be worked until they take the time do to them. You're best waiting until about Noon to go in just to be safe. Otherwise you're more then likely wasting your time.

Ok so I called all the walmarts around me and all the people in electronics either knew nothing about a nintendo 3ds price drop what so ever, or they said only certain walmarts are doing it and that they weren't sure if they were doing it. I know the manager pretty well at best buy I think I will just go there and do a price adjustment.

I hate this. were getting two different stories. My guess is certain walmarts are running on older systems that require managers to manually input prices. Newer systems on the other hand do not.

[quote name='omyard']I know it's pretty popular not to read the actual thread and practice common sense, but anything going in before 7am tomorrow morning is more then likely not going to get a price below $250. Like others have said the price drops won't be worked until the department manager comes in and even then they won't be worked until they take the time do to them. You're best waiting until about Noon to go in just to be safe. Otherwise you're more then likely wasting your time.[/QUOTE]

If anyone goes in and the price isn't changed it my be a good idea to ask the manager. It may be on their "to do" list, and they wouldn't want to let a $170+ sale walk out the door.

[quote name='omyard']I know it's pretty popular not to read the actual thread and practice common sense, but anything going in before 7am tomorrow morning is more then likely not going to get a price below $250. Like others have said the price drops won't be worked until the department manager comes in and even then they won't be worked until they take the time do to them. You're best waiting until about Noon to go in just to be safe. Otherwise you're more then likely wasting your time.[/QUOTE]

Well, some people are saying their friends at Wal-Mart say they update on their own while others are saying their friends at Wal-Mart say they need a manager to update. This whole thread is full of misinformation and I don't mind spending 15 min of my time to check it out for myself.

Well. I'll check at midnight and ask if it is planned for a drop. I'll keep everyone posted. I'm in EST. If so, guess I'm buying one.

I was at one of our local WalMart's today, and they had no 3DS systems in stock at all. I asked them about them, and they said they expected a new shipment next week. I wonder if they pulled them of the shelves and were hiding them in the back room? Sounded very fishy to me.

[quote name='Moonlk']Well. I'll check at midnight and ask if it is planned for a drop. I'll keep everyone posted. I'm in EST. If so, guess I'm buying one.[/QUOTE]

thx that will really help alot.

[quote name='chimpmeister']I was at one of our local WalMart's today, and they had no 3DS systems in stock at all. I asked them about them, and they said they expected a new shipment next week. I wonder if they pulled them of the shelves and were hiding them in the back room? Sounded very fishy to me.[/QUOTE]

Go to walmart.com and do the check store option. It will tell you if they are really out of stock. The site shows every Walmart within 50 miles of me as either "in stock" or "limited stock".

[quote name='chimpmeister']I was at one of our local WalMart's today, and they had no 3DS systems in stock at all. I asked them about them, and they said they expected a new shipment next week. I wonder if they pulled them of the shelves and were hiding them in the back room? Sounded very fishy to me.[/QUOTE]

I doubt it. One person mentioned earlier that some stores carried limited stock simply because that's all the demand they had at the time. I went to Walmart today and found only four systems in stock.

I have PMd Walmart.com at Best Buy a few times in the last few years. Just kind of play dumb and say "Walmart has it for $169 and here's the printout"... just be really nice. They usually just check the site to confirm the price and move on. I've always found it kind of funny that Walmart won't PM their own site but Best Buy will. ;) (if it says "online only" it might be a bit trickier but a lot of time they won't care anyway)

[quote name='sixspeednissan']If anyone goes in and the price isn't changed it my be a good idea to ask the manager. It may be on their "to do" list, and they wouldn't want to let a $170+ sale walk out the door.[/QUOTE]

In the morning of, yes, that wouldn't be a bad idea. Assuming you can track the person down. Back in the day when I worked and/or was a vendor at Wal-Mart getting a hold of someone in the morning to do price changes was a pain in the ass. Which is why I said it's best to wait. Otherwise you're going to see a lot of posts like "I went in at (midnight, 5, 8, etc... pick your time) and NOBODY was there. After 30 minutes I finally found a Wally World employee and they had no idea what I was talking about. I told them about it and they still didn't know, but said they would check. I waited like 10 minutes while they disappeared..." You see where I'm going, blah, blah, blah, frustration, blah, blah, blah, Wal-Mart sucks, etc... Just wait a few hours and then go in and you'll save yourself a lot of frustration.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Well, some people are saying their friends at Wal-Mart say they update on their own while others are saying their friends at Wal-Mart say they need a manager to update. This whole thread is full of misinformation and I don't mind spending 15 min of my time to check it out for myself.[/QUOTE]

I know it's just the amount of complaining tomorrow is going to be insane. Last I knew Wal-Mart didn't drop prices automatically and I would assume they wouldn't. Best Buy does and it causes all sorts of headaches for a retailer so doing it on the Wal-Mart level would be insane.

All I know is that there is going to be a ton of bitching between tomorrow and the actual price drop. I really want to look away, but I love seeing the misery people put themselves through because they either ignore good common sense or expect the world on a platter. The last week plus has been way too enjoyable already.

As I said in an earlier post, the price change will be done by the dept. manager, not automatic price drop. I know at my store, where I was a dept manager for 5 years, they don't get in until 7am. I just talked to the electronics manager, they know about the drop, they have the paperwork explaining it, he has 7 in stock, but it won't be changed until after he gets there in the morning. Now, this could just be how my store operates, but I know anyone that goes in at midnight trying to get this will be greeted by nightshift workers that have never seen the sun that will not have a clue about this price drop. Knowing the staff, the night shift asst. managers and co manager will probably not have a clue about it either. I know I never even did my price changes until after I got back from lunch, and that is when the rest did theirs. Anyway, that is just how my store works.

Do you guys think the price drop online will occur at midnight or tomorrow morning. And I work at Best Buy and asked my manager about matching. He said if it's possible to walk into a Walmart and buy a 3DS for 169.99 you can do the same at Best Buy. Here's hoping it works. I just can't say no to 20 free games.

[quote name='Moonlk']I'm still tempted to go check. But...hm. Well. I guess I'll just swing by.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I figure I'll swing in before work and check it out. It'd be worth paying the sales tax to get the free games. Otherwise I was planning to order from Amazon bc what's the rush?

I went there today on my annual gator-aid run(work outside) but realized it was the 8th lol was still 250, tho :) will check it out tomorrow

Anybody in the GMT-5 locations with a 24-hour Walmart going to check to see if they made the adjustment in roughly 30 minutes?

Ehhh, screw it, unless an East Coast CAG says the prices were adjusted, I'll just wait till tomorrow afternoon. I'm pretty confident they won't sell out anyways.

If they do drop tomorrow Im going into BB to go ahead and get my 80 bucks refunded. Thats my plan at least. Otherwise Ill just have to wait till friday.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Ehhh, screw it, unless an East Coast CAG says the prices were adjusted, I'll just wait till tomorrow afternoon. I'm pretty confident they won't sell out anyways.[/QUOTE]

y where u getting up early to go?

My stores all say "Limited Stock" but that doesn't really tell me much. How much stock does "limited" even imply?

when i went to walmart earlier, i was going to buy one and have them price adjust when it did drop in price. But the employee in electronics was clueless. He said nintendo had sent them no information telling them there was going to be a price drop; and he said his manager had no details of one either. The only thing he could tell me was that the adjustment period was within 7 days. he said however that walmart may not update their system in that seven days and that i wouldn't get an adjustment if it was later. So then i said, well you price match competitors right. even if your system doesn't update, wouldn't you match a competitor and then adjust the price. He said it might work, he didn't know. So i didn't get a 3ds.

My wife went to Walmart yesterday and bought a 3DS. They only had 5 left. After talking with a manager the manager told her that all she has to do is bring in the receipt, no system just receipt, within 7 days of the purchase and she would get her money back from the price difference. The manager even told her she could go ahead and open the system up and let my son play it since the only thing she has to bring back in is the receipt.

[quote name='Tankinator']Asked the worker who doesn't speak english, now I'm waiting for a supervisor...[/QUOTE]

He no spe-kee? That would annoy me to put someone on the floor that can't communicate. I'm starting to think buying mine last week and adjusting on Friday is a good move. Seems like a lot of grief over this.

i think they will price adjust. the problem will be if they don't change the actual price within the 7 day period. If they are slow to do it, a lot of people are going to be stuck with a 250 dollar system. what troubled me is how they had ZERO knowledge of a price drop. I'm not talking the august 9th rumor, i'm talking they had no knowledge of the august 12 official price drop

My friend just bought a 3DS at his Walmart. He said that the employees didn't know what he was talking about, but he got it anyway. They told him he has 15 days to price match it once it drops.

My plan is to call mine up in the morning to check. If that fails I'll get it at Target and price match there.

[quote name='NukaCola']My friend just bought a 3DS at his Walmart. He said that the employees didn't know what he was talking about, but he got it anyway. They told him he has 15 days to price match it once it drops.

My plan is to call mine up in the morning to check. If that fails I'll get it at Target and price match there.[/QUOTE]

how'd he get away with it, cause when i called mine they had 0 idea??

Online it lists the reduced price as a preorder but says that it will not ship until 8/12. If that is the case then I may return the one I bought and go buy it at Best Buy so that I at least get some RZ certificates if they refuse to do a price drop match.

[quote name='zenne96']how'd he get away with it, cause when i called mine they had 0 idea??[/QUOTE]

He didn't... He's bought at $250 waiting for the drop.

i want a 3ds bad. but i don't want to get burned if walmart is slow to update the price. i may just hold off until the 10th. buy one, and then wait for the price to change and get an adjustment. just in case they are slow to update the retail price.

[quote name='jedimario']Online it lists the reduced price as a preorder but says that it will not ship until 8/12[/QUOTE]

We're talking about in-store, which is sometimes different than online.Anyway, I could call the closest 24-hour Walmart to where I live, but I'll be waking people up, even if I went outside.

does anyone know when walmart typically updates their retail prices? What time should i check tomorrow. I worry it will still be listed at 250 simply because they got too lazy and didn't change the price yet.

[quote name='Nintendonly']We're talking about in-store, which is sometimes different than online.Anyway, I could call the closest 24-hour Walmart to where I live, but I'll be waking people up, even if I went outside.[/QUOTE]

i just called a 24 hour walmart and they had 0 idea

[quote name='Crandellous333']does anyone know when walmart typically updates their retail prices? What time should i check tomorrow. I worry it will still be listed at 250 simply because they got too lazy and didn't change the price yet.[/QUOTE]

12:01 AM.The people saying a department manager has to do it are full of shit. Department managers only manually price adjust clearance items (red tagged crap). Everything else is done in Arkansas's computers.And also, just because the tag still says $249, you shouldn't leave without asking them to double check it.

damn i think i'll get mine after the 12th. im sure toys r us will give u a 50$ gc or 50% few games with your purchase, so i'll just go with that. gl guys

bread's done
Back