Odin Sphere - Geeze The Animation is Amazing!

I want the game, but I may not have much money around release. I have a feeling this game will be hard to find. I might have to ditch my Magna Carta to get the money.

I didnt go to the arcade today after work o_O

I'm gonna dedicate the rest of mine weekend to finish xenosaga III

coz I gotta get ready to play this shit on day 1!!!

less than 3 week left....

[quote name='pete5883']Technically Magna Carta is a KRPG.[/QUOTE]

Krappy RPG

I hated that fricken game. Picked it up first day it came out too.

The character in the princess crown videos is a near clone of Eclair from La Pucelle Tactics.

This is probably the first game in recent memory that made me go Wow as far as visuals. 3D stuff almost never gets a response out of me, no matter how realistic it is.

[quote name='martin8me']Really cool trailer:

http://www.gamebrink.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14878

Wait for the "Game Demonstation" torwards the end. Its uber awesome.
Heres hoping the game doesn't turn out to be a button-masher. I absolutely loathe button-mashers.[/QUOTE]

That video looked pretty good, I'm just a little nervous about how well the frame rate will hold up. It looked like there was a little slowdown during certain points, and with as detailed as some of those characters are, I could see it reaching a total crawl if there's a lot happening on-screen.

Hopefully this will be a good one to pick up once I finish God of War II.

[quote name='ahmedmalik']Play Magazine gave it a 10 out of 10.[/QUOTE]
Even though I like Play there Reviews for these type of games always seem to be high. Plus the fact that the game is 2-D and how Play is obsessed with anything 2-D.

[quote name='ahmedmalik']Play Magazine gave it a 10 out of 10.[/QUOTE]

Play Magazine verbally gushes over anything that is 2D or old school, so while I want this game to be good, I don't listen to anything Play (or Dave Halverson) has to say.

I think if I end up liking the game a lot, I'll probably hunt down an original copy of the Japanese PSP port of Princess Crown. ~_~

[quote name='Draekon']I think if I end up liking the game a lot, I'll probably hunt down an original copy of the Japanese PSP port of Princess Crown. ~_~[/quote]

It's been re-released as a GH version, so the hunt shouldn't be too hard. Believe Play-Asia still has it.

My heart keeps telling me this could be the next Legend of Mana for me, hell it's the best 2D graphics I've seen since LOM. I'm always complaining how we don't get enough niche, Japanese games here. It'd be stupid for me not to support this game.

Anyone find any good deals for OS?

[quote name='dallow']Makes it a little harder to play, but make sure you use this:

http://www.andriasang.com/princesscrown/[/quote]

Japanese isn't much of a problem. I studied it a ways back but haven't touched it in years until I got my Import PS2 recently. Working on re-learning the language so I don't plan on using it unless I need it. Thanks for the reference though! Will probably come in handy.

[quote name='Supercake']It's been re-released as a GH version, so the hunt shouldn't be too hard. Believe Play-Asia still has it.[/quote]

I'm an original copy whore. I know the Atlus Best Collection version is in stock as is the Asian version but I gun for originals and don't mind waiting a bit (6 months or more) to get ahold of one. Though this is especially hard with japanese imports because of how much they re-release stuff and myself being located in the US. >_

Famitsu's comments on the game:

- Difficulty is high, but the controls are relatively simple but very intuitive and work well
- The item creation aspect and how its used in the game is unique, but when there are too many items in your inventory management can be hard
- Great directing with powerful music and voices, there's quite a lot of volume in the game
- Lots of loading
- Lots of stages look the same
- In some of the boss fights there appears to be slowdown

Scores:
Odin Sphere - 9,9,7,7

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154519

^^^ Good to see you posting in the PS2 RPG threads, Botticus! Welcome to the party ;).

I'm on the fence for this one, but I see it being rare-ish, so I might grab it.

[quote name='io']^^^ Good to see you posting in the PS2 RPG threads, Botticus! Welcome to the party ;).

I'm on the fence for this one, but I see it being rare-ish, so I might grab it.[/quote]I'm kinda feeling the same. It'll be a decent choice to use up the tiny remainder of credit at EB.

I really am hoping this game turns out good otherwise i'll be canceling my pre-order. The game looks really awesome I can only hope it plays out that way.

I hope the long loading times are either fixed for the US or are relegated to times between combat/active events. Idea Factory's ports gave me enough of that.

[quote name='G33']I hope the long loading times are either fixed for the US or are relegated to times between combat/active events. Idea Factory's ports gave me enough of that.[/QUOTE]
It's coming out here in the US less than a week after Japan. They aren't gonna fix shit.

Load times are disappointing, but not unexpected on a PS2 game that uses the hardware to this caliber, and with such high resolution art.

I hope I can find a copy, it looked really good on the 1up show, nice to see some actual gameplay details.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']It's coming out here in the US less than a week after Japan. They aren't gonna fix shit.[/quote]

Ah, that fact slipped my mind. In that case, I hope the load times feel more like GoC than SS.

[quote name='G33']Ah, that fact slipped my mind. In that case, I hope the load times feel more like GoC than SS.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I'm just gonna wait to pick this up until I hear several reviews and opinions. I just don't feel like wasting money anymore on games that I don't like, though this game really does look promising.

As long as it works with HDLoader, load times shouldn't be a huge issue. Guess we'll have to see if it works when the JP release is out.

As much as I want this though, I can't see myself paying $50 for it. I'm becoming cheaper by the day, even with games that are clearly awesome.

[quote name='Z-Saber']
As much as I want this though, I can't see myself paying $50 for it. I'm becoming cheaper by the day, even with games that are clearly awesome.[/QUOTE]

It's only $40, but your point still stands ;).

I did, however, put in a preorder for it at Gamecrazy today. I figure it is only costing me $15-$20 considering trade-ins. That is STILL a bit too high for me (esp. with the PS2 RPG backlog I have), but I guess it could be considered as having a rareness insurance premium.

I just paid this game off in full. I really hope it turns out as good as it looks and all this hype from all these previews I been hearing and reading are really as good as they say otherwise, I'll never buy a game ever again before I see a tons of reviews for the game.

The current 1up show has a good feature on OS. They also reference the load times and slowdown, but they pretty much gush about the game. I really like the art direction but I probably won't bite on it. Then it will be rare and I'll never get the chance to play it...oh well.

I had seen screenshots but hadn't seen it in action. I don't think you guys realize the possibilities of the layer-based animation. Also, it gives the game a unique look, as I don't think there's ever been a big AAA game that used layer animation for *everything*; Castlevania has for a boss or two here or there, but whatever.

I'm looking forward to it! Only a week to go.

Submitted my review of this to Yahoo. Man, it's great. I hope I'm not just overly gushy on the graphics, but I had a lot of fun playing it, too. After submitting Dawn of Mana review, I feel a lot better about Odin Sphere. Only place OS lacks is in voiceovers -- they're a little amateurish.

By the way, developer Vanillaware is also behind GrimGrimoire, which is a 2D RTS(!) published by NIS. It should come out soon, too. I just got my review build in the mail.

[quote name='ViolentLee']Submitted my review of this to Yahoo. Man, it's great. I hope I'm not just overly gushy on the graphics, but I had a lot of fun playing it, too. After submitting Dawn of Mana review, I feel a lot better about Odin Sphere. Only place OS lacks is in voiceovers -- they're a little amateurish.

By the way, developer Vanillaware is also behind GrimGrimoire, which is a 2D RTS(!) published by NIS. It should come out soon, too. I just got my review build in the mail.[/QUOTE]

Definitely going to get it now, thanks for the small preview VL :D

Also, if I like Odin Sphere, I'll definitely check out Grim Grimoire, I initially wrote it off but seeing as how it's made by the same people, if I like OS I'll check it out.

I take it you didn't like Dawn of Mana? It looks like shit anyways.

Odin Sphere is $28.99 shipped, on Buy.com using the $10 off from Google Checkout - I might just grab it there, I can be patient when it comes to saving $11 and avoiding EB / GS.

[quote name='ViolentLee']
By the way, developer Vanillaware is also behind GrimGrimoire, which is a 2D RTS(!) published by NIS. It should come out soon, too. I just got my review build in the mail.[/QUOTE]

I knew there was a strange reason why they looked so alike.

I played a little of the Japanese version last night.. the animation looks much better running in front of you on an actual tv.

The videos made it look much more "choppy" than it really seemed.

[quote name='ViolentLee']Submitted my review of this to Yahoo. Man, it's great. I hope I'm not just overly gushy on the graphics, but I had a lot of fun playing it, too. After submitting Dawn of Mana review, I feel a lot better about Odin Sphere. Only place OS lacks is in voiceovers -- they're a little amateurish.

What's Oden Sphere like? I'm a bit worried, because I really don't like Valkarie Profile at all. Even the PSP remake I just got bored of.

But geez, the graphics look SO AMAZING in Odin Sphere. Proof that all the people who claimed 2D was maxed out on the PS1 were nuts. (I *STILL* am desperate to see what a PS3 can do...I mean the PS2 is mindblowing, and with that much more RAM and hardware...)

I'm going to preorder it right now. I'm at work, so might as well stop in at Gamestop on the way home.

[quote name='Wolfpup']What's Oden Sphere like? I'm a bit worried, because I really don't like Valkarie Profile at all. Even the PSP remake I just got bored of.

But geez, the graphics look SO AMAZING in Odin Sphere. Proof that all the people who claimed 2D was maxed out on the PS1 were nuts. (I *STILL* am desperate to see what a PS3 can do...I mean the PS2 is mindblowing, and with that much more RAM and hardware...)

I'm going to preorder it right now. I'm at work, so might as well stop in at Gamestop on the way home.[/QUOTE]

The game's nothing like Valkyrie Profile... the battles are all action-y fare sorta reminiscent of Guardian Heroes or other sidescrolling beat-em-ups.

Haven't had a chance to read through the whole thread, but are there Japanese voice overs here?

[quote name='Chacrana']The game's nothing like Valkyrie Profile... the battles are all action-y fare sorta reminiscent of Guardian Heroes or other sidescrolling beat-em-ups.

Haven't had a chance to read through the whole thread, but are there Japanese voice overs here?[/QUOTE]

Yea, they have Japanese VA's.

[quote name='Wolfpup']What's Oden Sphere like? [/QUOTE]
At its core, the combat is side-scrolling hack'n'slash, but there's a lot more to it.

[quote name='Roufuss']Yea, they have Japanese VA's.[/QUOTE]
You can toggle between Japanese and English.

[quote name='Roufuss']I take it you didn't like Dawn of Mana? It looks like shit anyways.[/QUOTE]
Almost every gameplay aspect in Dawn is busted. Bad platforming, terrible camera, and lousy aim. Story's even a little overly cliched, and resetting stats after each level is really lame. No co-op, either. Some good things and it's pretty with great VO, but quite a disappointment overall.

One thing I forgot to ask-how's this look on an HDTV?

[quote name='Chacrana']The game's nothing like Valkyrie Profile... the battles are all action-y fare sorta reminiscent of Guardian Heroes or other sidescrolling beat-em-ups.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ViolentLee']At its core, the combat is side-scrolling hack'n'slash, but there's a lot more to it. [/quote]

Awesome! I'm a HUGE fan of sidescrolling fighters. An RPG-y, fighter-y game with gorgeous 2D art? Yeeeeah this may have been made just for me. I'm going Monday to pre-order it for sure.

Almost every gameplay aspect in Dawn is busted. Bad platforming, terrible camera, and lousy aim. Story's even a little overly cliched, and resetting stats after each level is really lame.

What is it with games resetting stats like that? I've played other RPGs that do that, and always hated them. I don't understand why you'd do that. Defeats the entire sense of accomplishment/drive to go forward that you get from an RPG.

Is it like they're just too lazy to make higher level abilities available? Or to balance higher level battles or something, so they reset you instead?

[quote name='Wolfpup']
Awesome! I'm a HUGE fan of sidescrolling fighters. An RPG-y, fighter-y game with gorgeous 2D art? Yeeeeah this may have been made just for me. I'm going Monday to pre-order it for sure.[/QUOTE]

Final Fight Sphere of Rage

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Final Fight Sphere of Rage[/QUOTE]

That...sounds awesome!

I can still hear the intro music to Streets of Rage 1. Wish I owned that (and hadn't sold my copy of Final Fight One (GBA)

Glad this isn't like Valkarie Profile!

[quote name='whoknows']I thought this was an RPG...I watched a gameplay video of it though and now it's a must buy![/QUOTE]

Wait, now it has morphed into a side-scrolling brawler? Color me disinterested :cry:.

[quote name='io']Wait, now it has morphed into a side-scrolling brawler? Color me disinterested :cry:.[/quote]

It is a side-scrolling action rpg/brawler/platformer is my understanding.

really there is a fine line between action rpg and brawler as it is :)

[quote name='Robobandit']It is a side-scrolling action rpg/brawler/platformer is my understanding.

really there is a fine line between action rpg and brawler as it is :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've really noticed that. Unfortunatly lately I've found a lot of action RPGs to be a lot LESS interesting than scrolling fighters...like they think weak RPG elements are enough to make up for bad combat or something.

I wonder if it's too late to preorder this at EB?

bread's done
Back